Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Oregon Police and Benchmade

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Oregon Police and Benchmade
on: February 21, 2019, 12:07:30 PM
Benchmade is the subject of the latest online protest, and they can thank the local police for for it.

Oregon City Police tweeted a photo a couple of days ago attempting to promote Benchmade Knives as a good corporate citizen by helping the police destroy some firearms.  Naturally this created an uproar among the firearms enthusiasts that would have rather had the guns sold to collectors and other responsible firearms owners rather than see them be destroyed.  Even further, there is a call to boycott Benchmade products to protest their alleged anti- Second Amendment policies based on their willingness to help local law enforcement and for campaign contributions to an anti-firearms leaning politician:

https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=Les+de+asis

http://www.ontheissues.org/House/Darlene_Hooley_Gun_Control.htm

After the Oregon City Police realized what had happened they released a second statement attempting to stop the mania they had inadvertently created, and explained that these firearms were unable to be resold, either because they had been used in crimes or because they had been surrendered by people who wanted them destroyed. 

But, as anyone knows, facts will never be an acceptable argument to stop online hysteria, and this statement doesn't seem to be slowing down the number of people offended by this.  The boycott is expected to last until another dentist goes hunting in Africa, or until someone's kid is endangered by an animal at the zoo or on a golf course.   :facepalm:

At this time, Harambe could not be reached for comment.

My opinion?  Well, I have a lot of them.  I won't be boycotting Benchmade for helping law enforcement, although I do sort of wonder about the sense of funding a politician with anti-firearms leanings when you own the license to produce knives with firearms company logos on them. 

"Scandals" like this are nothing new, and in fact have hit companies that we are very familiar with here at Multitool.org.  There was some uproar years ago regarding Tim Leatherman's political leanings, despite them manufacturing firearms tools like the MUT and hunting tools like the Vista, Rail and Pump, and archery related tools like the Cam.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,7418.0.html

However, let's also recall that these companies are based in Oregon, traditionally a Democrat leaning state and it makes sense to curry the favor of politicians that wouldn't take much of push to go against you, so I don't think I am too upset by much of this.

And, in the end, Benchmade was just doing a favor for a local police force.  You can get upset over this if you like, but IMHO there are much more important problems in the world today.

Def
Benchmade01.jpg
* Benchmade01.jpg (Filesize: 242.95 KB)
Benchmade02.jpg
* Benchmade02.jpg (Filesize: 53.34 KB)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:09:57 PM by Grant Lamontagne »
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Oregon Police and Benchmade
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 12:27:41 PM
That is the world we live in today :facepalm: Benchmade is made out to be the bad guy by helping out the police ::) I don;t own any Benchmade knives but that would never stop me from buying one from them ??? the most prominent factor from buying one would be the price :whistle: :rofl:

Hopefully this all blows over and Benchmade doesn't end up with much backlash over this :salute:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 12:50:42 PM
That is the world we live in today :facepalm: Benchmade is made out to be the bad guy by helping out the police ::) I don;t own any Benchmade knives but that would never stop me from buying one from them ??? the most prominent factor from buying one would be the price :whistle: :rofl:

Hopefully this all blows over and Benchmade doesn't end up with much backlash over this :salute:

They are getting a HUGE backlash on some forums, including one forum for blades (subtle hint) and another that tends to spend a lot of time discussing all 15 Armalite Rifles.  There is even a video of a guy taking one of his Benchmade knives to a belt sander and destroying it in protest, which actually doesn't hurt Benchmade at all, as they already have been paid for that knife.  The guy is destroying his own property.   :facepalm:

I am all for folks being upset about this, and if you want to stop supporting Benchmade because of this, by all means, go for it.  Consumers have the right to vote with their wallets, and if enough people feel this way then Benchmade will either change or go out of business.  It is evolutionary.

However, I personally don't agree with condemning a company for complying with local law enforcement, and I also have to believe that Benchmade's marketing staff were probably unaware that the police were going to post these photos.  I feel like they would have forseen some backlash and asked that they not be posted, and if they did know then they deserve all of the overtime they are experiencing on Damage Control now. 

Bottom line is this- Benchmade did something lawful and aided the police force.  If you don't like the law that allowed (required) this action to take place, put your money and effort into changing the law. 

Here's the info to contact the police force:

https://www.orcity.org/police/contact-us

Oregon City Commission:

https://www.orcity.org/citycommission

Oregon Governor's Office:

https://www.oregon.gov/gov/Pages/index.aspx

I am not going into my thoughts on the political process because that is a whole other ball of wax, but there's a better chance of accomplishing something by contacting these places than there is by grinding up your own property.  That makes about as much sense as destroying your own car  to protest drunk drivers, or melting down all o your spoons because you are fat.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 01:14:23 PM
 :facepalm:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 01:19:10 PM
Official statement from Benchmade:

SEE OFFICIAL STATEMENT BELOW

Benchmade is aware of the recent post from our local Oregon City Police Department.
-
We apologize for the confusion and concern that this post created. These were firearms that the Oregon City Police Department had to destroy in alignment with their policies. Oregon City Police requested the use of specialty equipment within the Benchmade facility to follow these requirements, and as a supporting partner of our local police force, we obliged the request.
-
Benchmade is a proud and unwavering supporter of both law enforcement and Second Amendment rights. These are commitments that we do not take lightly and will continue to support well into the future.
-
When asked for clarity from Oregon City Police Department, Chief Jim Band made the following statement: “When property is to be destroyed, it is the policy of the Oregon City Police Department to destroy property, including firearms, in accordance to our procedures and ORS. The Oregon City Police Department does not sell firearms.”

-Benchmade

Def

us Offline Manny Sanchez III

Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 01:52:58 PM
‘Murica.  :salute:

:dunno:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 02:54:42 PM
There is always gonna be sides, its just how it is  :dunno:.  On a related note, I've been very much enjoying my Benchmade Nimravus  :D.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 03:00:40 PM
I'm about as pro-gun as they get, but I don't see why people are complaining. Yes, firearms were destroyed, but I think it's Oregon law that more or less, anything that was used in connection with a crime is destroyed. So, no big deal there.   The police department should not have posted the photos; and Benchmade should not have allowed them to be taken, but hindsight is always 20/20 and I'm sure neither entity knew all the trouble that it would cause.

Compared to moves with huge social and political overtones, such as the recent ad campaigns by Nike and Gillette that caused a lot of controversy and to some (myself included) that really backfired, this is really nothing.  And, on another note, with a lot of stuff being public, companies really shouldn't be doing campaign donations.  That can backfire too.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 03:14:00 PM by cody6268 »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 03:15:47 PM
I'm about as pro-gun as they get, but I don't see why people are complaining. Yes, firearms were destroyed, but I think it's Oregon law that more or less, anything that was used in connection with a crime is destroyed. So, no big deal there.   The police department should not have posted the photos; and Benchmade should not have allowed them to be taken, but hindsight is always 20/20 and I'm sure neither entity knew all the trouble that it would cause.

Folks may not know this about me, but I am pro gun as well.  Very much so.  And it's not because I believe everyone should carry a firearm, I just think that everyone should be allowed to make that choice.  I am actually remarkably anarchistic and think that the government needs to minimize their involvement in... well.... everything.

But that's a rant for another time.

Someone on FB commented about how their legally owned firearms were stolen, used in crimes and were destroyed, and I don't agree with that.  The rightful owner should have the opportunity to recover their property- there is no reason they need to be even more of a victim than necessary, especially if it is an antique or special edition firearm, or has sentimental value- for example, if any of my father's guns were stolen from my house, I would very much want them back, even though they aren't worth much money.

So, I disagree with the wanton destruction of them, but that isn't Benchmade's fault

Nor is it the Police's fault.

The law says it has to be done, so it has to be done.  Don't like it?  Fine, me either.  Use the links above to contact the Oregon City Commission and the Oregon Governor to try and change the law.

Def

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 03:39:56 PM
Like every other short-sighted protest, the people who get hurt the most are the people who work for Benchmade. We live in a world where important facts are left out(ex. Guns used in crimes being a big part of the stuff destroyed) to create mass hysteria among the gun enthusiasts who generally don't have a firm grasp on reality. I hear about the 2nd amendment all of the time and am a supporter. But, some of the same people also support limiting what people can say about politicians they like(ex. News stations they disagree with), which violates the 1st amendment. Without the 1st amendment, the 2nd means nothing. Because, without the 1st, then they can actually take your guns and throw you in jail for complaining about it.

I like that Benchmade is helping local law enforcement, because I am a big fan of people who put their lives on the line to ensure people's safety.

I do think Benchmade was a bit short sighted with partaking in the gun disposal, but that is the owner's prerogative to do so.
As I said, I am a supporter of the Bill of Rights, since it is at the heart of the country I live in. Political alignments do not necessarily mean political extremes. I do not align myseld with either side, as the center of the two is my personal reality. For example, this is what I'll hear after copy-degradation, "Hey man, did you hear that Benchmade is destroying everybody's gun?" That isn't an exaggeration, because when Leatherman donated money to a Democratic candidate, all I hear is, "Hey man, you do know Tim Leatherman is a liberal." I say who gives a smurf. I doubt all of the people who earn a living working there are the same way, and your protest is only hurting them in the end.
/rant
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 04:02:16 PM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 03:42:07 PM
Another confused 2A supporter, here.  :think:  The phrase "tempest in a tea cup" springs to mind.

As Def said in the opening post, there may be more important issues to be concerned about at present.

I'm fairly sure the major firearms manufacturers will make a few more guns today. Last I checked my local shops were bursting with firearms of every type.

If some heirloom firearms got destroyed, that is a pitty. Perhaps the original owners should have taken better care of them... :dunno:  Regardless, Oregon PD did what they had to do. If you live in Oregon and don't like the rules that led to this destruction, get them changed.

And Benchmade makes a fabulous knife. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. I'll try not to, but that would be to avoid my wallet protesting, not to protest a trivial civic stunt.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 04:01:09 PM
I love Benchmade and now I love them even more... those "good gun owners" seem like a bunch of crybabies easier triggered than femnazis.
nra.jpg
* nra.jpg (Filesize: 71.98 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 04:09:11 PM
Could also be that BM knew this would be polarizing  ;).  Living in California where so called celebrities jump at the chance to stir up talk, no bad press as they say.  I struggle sometimes to believe certain people/companies don't think things thru when posting on social media.  I realize the OPD posted it  :salute:.  If you are on social media you know the fervor thats created over seemingly innocuous things posted so care should be taken.  A company or person who posts without a pause, if this is the case, unfortunate but this is what happens. 

I don't know what decisions were made or not made, obviously.  I do know even IF all the gun destroyed were for example unusable, unfixable, unsafe, non collector items, etc etc etc there would still be those that gripe.  Sides, people love to take sides.   :dunno:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 04:20:07 PM
Sides, people love to take sides.   :dunno:

I don't mind people taking sides. A little debate can be a good thing.

What concerns me is the lack of subtlety or nuance in these debates. We seem to have dumbed our arguments down to the lowest level and now all these issues are seen in 'black & white' terms. Life is more grey and uncertain. A little more reflection and sophistication would go a long way in this country, and maybe a few others.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 04:41:39 PM
Carlos Mencia described my thoughts perfectly in a bit he did once.  For some reason he was asked to be on a panel for a news program, and they asked him if he was a Democrat or a Republican.  He said Yes.  They insisted on knowing which one, and he said both.  They asked why, and he said:

"Because I don't want to be wrong 50% of the time."

I love Benchmade and now I love them even more... those "good gun owners" seem like a bunch of crybabies easier triggered than femnazis.

I doubt it is the "good gun owners" that are flying off the handle.  People this easy to upset shouldn't be handling firearms in the first place.  If someone disagrees with that then maybe they should re-evaluate whether or not they are responsible enough to have a gun. 

Def

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 04:42:21 PM
 :rofl:

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 05:19:43 PM
Benchmade sells knives including their Hunt Series.
They should have known how their customers would or could react.

They make donations to Democratic candidates, the Democrats have embraced Bernie.
Surely they realize this will come back and bite them.

Benchmade made a decision to help. The police did not need help, they could have bought a chop saw and put in in their own shop.

Benchmade could have said no, based on the fact it could potentially be bad publicity. Instead they agreed to help and allowed pictures.
Someone at Benchmade had to know this was going public.

At least in the short term Benchmade will take a hit, I hope no employees are laid off  but it could happen.
Who ever made this decision for Benchmade needs to be fired. ASAP.

Cody brought up Gillette. I'm sure the company selling generic Mach 3 blades at Walmart, is glad Gillette made their social statement.

Companies should be companies. If they concentrate on their product, advertise their product, they'll do fine.
If companies venture into politics and make social statements, they risk paying a price.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 05:26:23 PM
It seems that this is being used as a lead on to complain about payments made is support of Democrat politicians. Do people not realise that politicians like others who prostitute their services have to be bought? If you live in a state with strong representation from a particular side then you have to pay your dues to ensure your business will succeed. The purity of democracy is rather a quaintly amusing concept is it not?  :rofl: :rofl:
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 06:02:31 PM
Sides, people love to take sides.   :dunno:

I don't mind people taking sides. A little debate can be a good thing.

What concerns me is the lack of subtlety or nuance in these debates. We seem to have dumbed our arguments down to the lowest level and now all these issues are seen in 'black & white' terms. Life is more grey and uncertain. A little more reflection and sophistication would go a long way in this country, and maybe a few others.

Sides are great.  Its great we have those who think differently than ourselves.  In situations like these however the seemingly emotional reaction and ruckus is to me silly.  Its Benchmades prerogative to do as they will.  What this has created is IMO the conversation and side taking.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 06:05:01 PM
I don't know, Dean.

I'm a Benchmade customer and a gun owner. My reaction was along the lines of "meh", and I find the call for a boycott to be laughable and pathetic. I find it a bit embarrassing when other 2A supporters act like children.

I don't think Benchmade will take a hit here. Who are their customers?  Sure, a few guys will go pout, but nobody is going to take them seriously. And it is well possibly some people may now look more favorably on Benchmade. The old adage that there is no such thing as bad publicity is probably still true. Benchmade could potentially see an increase in sales following this.

I don't think for a moment that Benchmade planned on this going the way it has, but I doubt it will hurt them in the least.

As I said before, I'm not planning on buying a new Benchmade, but I wasn't planning on purchasing one before the gun-chopping incident. Although....I do like the looks of that Crooked River...

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 06:16:15 PM
At one point I had about 15 BM, but I stopped buying their stuff three years ago and sold off most of them.
I prefer buy knives from that fat smurfhole Lynn Thompson. Feel good to know my hard earn dollars are going to the right place.

I vote with my ballot and wallet.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 06:36:56 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 06:59:24 PM
How cliche'. :facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 07:21:23 PM
This is turning rather political... :dwts:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 07:26:01 PM
Kampfer, if I may, why did you stop buying Benchmade?

I haven't found a commercial knife that is better made than a Benchmade. Benchies always sting a bit when purchasing, but I console myself to a degree with the thought that I'm supporting a quality USA company and domestic jobs.

I don't want to come across as being xenophobic. My favorite Winchester carbine was made in Japan. I've got no issues with buying quality products that are made overseas. Some of my favorite kitchen knives are from Japan, along with a sweet Al Mar. However, given the choice, I do prefer buying a 'made in the USA' Spyderco vs a 'made in Taiwan' Spyderco (I have both). In the case of Benchmade, I haven't found a better made knife (except perhaps Chris Reeves Knives).

Even if Benchmade were openly anti-2A, I'd still buy their knives. It is most unlikely that I'll be found without an Osborne 940 in my possession, above ground or six feet under. The product is too good for me to disdain.

So, naturally, I'm curious why you seemed to have turned your back on them. 

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 07:39:31 PM
Kampfer, if I may, why did you stop buying Benchmade?

To be clear, I am not boycotting Benchmade, I just felt they are charging a lot of money for what they offer.
I slowly sold off my BM collection to fund CS purchases, on average each BM I sold can fund at least two CS.
Look at their FACT, cost $200 and CS Tilite is only $45.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Fact-AXIS-Lock-Knife--78774
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-4-TiLite-w--648

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 07:51:24 PM
Yeah, Benchmades are pricey. I wonder how they can keep that model going. But, I suppose, there are enough knife knuts like myself willing to pony up.

The 940 was my first Benchmade, and they had me for the next two decades......  :facepalm:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: February 21, 2019, 08:05:33 PM
I have to agree with Kampfer- you do get a heck of a lot for your money with CS.  And Benchmade can be a bit pricey.

Def

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #27 on: February 21, 2019, 08:16:06 PM
I don't know, Dean.

I'm a Benchmade customer and a gun owner. My reaction was along the lines of "meh", and I find the call for a boycott to be laughable and pathetic. I find it a bit embarrassing when other 2A supporters act like children.

I don't think Benchmade will take a hit here. Who are their customers?  Sure, a few guys will go pout, but nobody is going to take them seriously. And it is well possibly some people may now look more favorably on Benchmade. The old adage that there is no such thing as bad publicity is probably still true. Benchmade could potentially see an increase in sales following this.

(Image removed from quote.)

I don't think for a moment that Benchmade planned on this going the way it has, but I doubt it will hurt them in the least.

As I said before, I'm not planning on buying a new Benchmade, but I wasn't planning on purchasing one before the gun-chopping incident. Although....I do like the looks of that Crooked River...

(Image removed from quote.)

I don't know if Benchmade will take a sales hit but things like this can blow up on occasion. I don't see this going away soon and think it will continue to come up for a long time.
I'm not saying Benchmade should be boycotted or applauded for their actions. I'm staying out of that.
I am saying Benchmade really should have seen this coming and steered clear of it.
The discusson on Benchmade own forum is not going well for them.
Two threads on BF, one of those on Benchmade's own sub forum, all total  24 pages and growing strong. Not going well for them there either.

As a company if Benchmade had donated to cancer research or donated x percent of each sale to a non profit children's hospital. That could have been on going good publicity. I disagree with Mr. P.T. Barnum, not all publicity is good publicity.   

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 08:38:50 PM
I just need to figure out my first Benchmade to purchase next week.  :pok: :D

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #29 on: February 21, 2019, 08:48:05 PM
I just need to figure out my first Benchmade to purchase next week.  :pok: :D
Good call, good chance you will find a ton of them on ebay.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD