Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

manufacture warranty questions

us Offline rescue4500

manufacture warranty questions
on: February 22, 2019, 07:17:29 PM
ive always generally carrried a leatherman and have used there warranty on numerous occasions but because i am hard on tools, do victorinox and gerber have a similar warranty or is the process different, and while we are on the subject what about sog, ive carried a swiss army knife for a good while now and usually let my leatherman do the harder jobs, so ive never broke and item on one

thanks in advance, rescue
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: manufacture warranty questions
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 07:25:16 PM
ive always generally carrried a leatherman and have used there warranty on numerous occasions but because i am hard on tools, do victorinox and gerber have a similar warranty or is the process different, and while we are on the subject what about sog, ive carried a swiss army knife for a good while now and usually let my leatherman do the harder jobs, so ive never broke and item on one

thanks in advance, rescue

Over here in Europe, warranty service of Victorinox is great, but you do have to be patient ...

Sometimes it gets fixed (or replaced) quite fast, most of the time it takes a couple of weeks, but they always come through in my experience (I must confess that I've never send anything to Victorinox Switzerland myself, I always went through the store where I bought the SAK/tool, and they contacted Victorinox).

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 01:42:30 AM
I've only used the LM warranty for the most part and they have always been very prompt and never had any problems :salute: but the few times I have contacted Gerber, the Customer Service has been great :like: I did use Vic warranty once and although the turnaround time was longer they still fixed the knife I sent in and overall I had no problems :salute: Never really dealt with SOG but I hae heard good things from them in the warranty dept. as well :cheers:

Seems the big 4 for the most part have all tried their best in the warranty dept :cheers: but internationally LM has not been as successful with the warranty as in the US :-\ seems warranty is different in parts of the world through the distributors and may not be as good as it is the US  :dunno:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 03:57:33 AM
Leatherman: they regularly get my screwed up tools due to me doing something stupid (twice in 3 years, still too much), and I either get back a new tool ,or my old one repaired.

Gerber: I sent in an EZ Out Skeleton that had both a bad clip, and a blade which had been heated, ruining the heat treat. They replaced it with a new model quite quickly after sending the junker in.

Victorinox: sent in 3 damaged SAKs that had been languishing forever in my collection. First was an OC Pioneer; bent blade, broken awl. That was simply replaced with a new modern silver Pioneer, and sent back with the old tool (with the blade now engraved "W"; I guess for it being unable to be repaired).

Second was a Swisstool, a bad chisel, dinged cutters, and one handle that had been fouled when I tried to hammer in a razor blade in an attempt to loosen that handle up (parts of the razor blade broke off). Replaced that one too with a new one; sending it with the old one (again, the old one marked "W" on its serrated blade).

Third was a 1960s Artisan, or Fieldmaster Small. It had damaged scissors (broken spring, and the screw had been replaced by a tiny piece of brass), and a bad saw (which I forgot to tell them about; some dummy must have been sawing bricks with it given its dullness). They replaced the scissors (surprised they still had 84mm scissors, given how long they've been out of production) and the blade (which was not needed at all, the blade just had scratches and slight sharpening wear consistent with being 50 years old; yet the pen blade had a bit more wear and engraving; so I'm surprised why it wasn't the one changed out instead), but not the saw. New scale and scale tools too. All the parts were sent back with the repaired knife.   Be sure to specify what you want fixed and what you DON'T want fixed.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%