Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Micromesh

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Micromesh
on: February 23, 2019, 06:09:18 PM
Has anyone used Micromesh to renew SAK scales?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline fred2892

Re: Micromesh
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 06:23:14 PM
Yes, it works well. I skip 1 or 2 stages though. Usually if the scales are rough I start with 360mx, then 2000, then 6000 and finish off with 12000. I leave the scales fitted to the knife and clamp the main blade in a soft jawed vice, then use a strip of micromesh in a rolling action. If you really want to go to town you can finish off with some renaissance wax on both the tools and the scales.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 07:26:44 PM
 :popcorn:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 04:27:30 PM
Yes, it works well. I skip 1 or 2 stages though. Usually if the scales are rough I start with 360mx, then 2000, then 6000 and finish off with 12000. I leave the scales fitted to the knife and clamp the main blade in a soft jawed vice, then use a strip of micromesh in a rolling action. If you really want to go to town you can finish off with some renaissance wax on both the tools and the scales.

Cheers Fred :salute: :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 08:28:10 PM
I've used another brand of foam-backed 3000 grit pad. I think it works very well for finishing before going to polishing compounds.  I have some of the micro-mesh branded stuff on the way. I expect it to save some of the polishing time compared to my current methods.

I'll also report back next week once I've had a chance to use it.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 09:12:45 PM
That's interesting guys  :tu:

@Fred, are you using the soft pad version?

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 09:13:30 PM
I've used another brand of foam-backed 3000 grit pad. I think it works very well for finishing before going to polishing compounds.  I have some of the micro-mesh branded stuff on the way. I expect it to save some of the polishing time compared to my current methods.

I'll also report back next week once I've had a chance to use it.

:popcorn:

gb Offline fred2892

Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 09:20:36 PM
That's interesting guys  :tu:

@Fred, are you using the soft pad version?
No, I use the original cloth variant. You can get 10 25 and 50 foot rolls. It’s pricey stuff at about £150 for 50 foot, but is without a doubt the best available for finishing synthetics and non ferrous metals.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 11:37:55 PM
The pads came in shortly after I posted! I got the 9 pc. 2" x 2" colored kit.  Looking forward to the 9 pc. 3" x 4" sheets.

Nice, excellent quality abrasives and binding. Smells like epoxy.  I find the pads a bit stiff for my taste. I have various backing/block materials and I'd prefer softer foam for curved work. Even with regular wet/dry 1500, 2000 and 2500 on a soft detail sanding block, I think I have more control over contours. I'm glad I didn't get the nail file looking set. I'd just have really shiny fingernails. The pads have rounded corners and sometimes I need the 90º corners for detail work. No a big deal, but a small negative for me. I might end up cutting some the pads in half or quarters to get corners. Color coding is a bit tedious I've already marked all the pads on the foam sides with an ultra fine point sharpie.

The 3000 grit foam padded sheets I've been using are much softer and follow contours better. That 3000 is roughly between the micro-mesh 6000 and 8000.

So I think i'll be set with the sheet set, and I wish I only spent money on 8000 and 12000 sheets and that's probably all I will buy in the future.  These two can really cut down my time spent polishing. Very happy with the speed and quality of the abrasives. Scale material released very nicely even when sanding dry. Just a little rinse with water and the pads appear clean.  I only did one back scale, but the abrasive doesn't feel worn at all.

I think the 9 pc. pad kit is nice for anyone who doesn't already have a lot of sanding and polishing supplies. Some might be better off with the 6 pc. kit from 3200 to 12000 if they already have grits up to 1500. Keep in mind that the micro mesh 1500 is really more like 600-800, and I'd only start there on fairly scratched or heavily dinged scales.

Hope that helps!
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 10:28:58 AM
Thanks a million Fred, and Grant. for all the details.
I don't have any polishing kit yet for scales etc.
This was very helpful  :hatsoff:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 07:55:41 PM
Thanks a million Fred, and Grant. for all the details.
I don't have any polishing kit yet for scales etc.
This was very helpful  :hatsoff:

You're welcome, Matt.  I should also thank Kirk and Fred...I've had these products on my wish list for a while and this thread and Fred's reply led me to pull the trigger the other day. So thank you, both!  :tu:  :hatsoff:

This is the only pic I took yesterday. I didn't take progress pics since I don't always like handling my phone while I'm working.  I'll take some for this thread when I tackle a front scale and have the sheet material in hand.

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 10:18:56 PM
I've never used it, but I know there is a good following, I usually use a automotive scratch remover followed by a polishing compound and then a fine wax.
Last of the V8 Interceptors

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 11:25:09 PM
Just a quick FYI as well, I use micromesh quite alot when turning pens in the minute amount of spare time I sometimes get... Always make sure you work up the grits order. I find it makes a big difference if you miss one out for example and makes it more difficult to work out the micro scratches.
I've had a set for about 5 years and periodically soak and wash them in hot water and they come out like new.
-
Craggus2000

"If it ain't broke, break it and make it better!

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 11:13:56 AM
You're welcome, Matt.  I should also thank Kirk and Fred...I've had these products on my wish list for a while and this thread and Fred's reply led me to pull the trigger the other day. So thank you, both!  :tu:  :hatsoff:

This is the only pic I took yesterday. I didn't take progress pics since I don't always like handling my phone while I'm working.  I'll take some for this thread when I tackle a front scale and have the sheet material in hand.

(Image removed from quote.)

I think I'll order a small set  :think:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 11:14:59 AM
Just a quick FYI as well, I use micromesh quite alot when turning pens in the minute amount of spare time I sometimes get... Always make sure you work up the grits order. I find it makes a big difference if you miss one out for example and makes it more difficult to work out the micro scratches.
I've had a set for about 5 years and periodically soak and wash them in hot water and they come out like new.

Thanks craggus, very good  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 05:52:22 PM
What a good thread.  I know there are those that like to give their scales a refresh.  While I have used wet/dry sand paper with good results I will have a look at this product.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 07:33:06 PM
I had a spare 10 mins this afternoon so decided to give the micro mesh a go on an old set of (hollow) scales.
Take a look at the result! The bottom set are a brand new unused set as they came from the packet. And at the top is one I've just used micro mesh on along with a comparison of what it was like before  :woohoo:

10 mins, minimal effort, job done!

Just a bit of glue to keep them on and you'd hardly know they were used!
-
Craggus2000

"If it ain't broke, break it and make it better!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 01:33:20 AM
Yeah, I'm really liking the 8000 and 12000. For anyone new to polishing, you can't really smurf up in a bad way if you start with those two.

These two alone are cutting my polishing time to about 1/3.  Very happy so far with how long it's lasting too. Worth the money.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 09:54:28 AM
I had a spare 10 mins this afternoon so decided to give the micro mesh a go on an old set of (hollow) scales.
Take a look at the result! The bottom set are a brand new unused set as they came from the packet. And at the top is one I've just used micro mesh on along with a comparison of what it was like before  :woohoo:

10 mins, minimal effort, job done!

Just a bit of glue to keep them on and you'd hardly know they were used!

Wow Craggus, what a result  :o

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 09:56:13 AM
Yeah, I'm really liking the 8000 and 12000. For anyone new to polishing, you can't really smurf up in a bad way if you start with those two.

These two alone are cutting my polishing time to about 1/3.  Very happy so far with how long it's lasting too. Worth the money.

Thanks Grant for your advice  :hatsoff:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 03:40:28 PM
Great follow up and well done  :like:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 04:29:24 PM
Thanks for this thread, guys  :cheers:

Just received my second batch of micromesh today. I already had 6 regular sheets (6" x 3") from 3200 to 12000 for soft materials, and now have 9 MX sheets from 150 to 1200 for hard materials. I think some of my items are going to get a lot more shiny over the coming months. One Sideclip is already disassembled :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 04:48:54 PM
 :tu:.  I had pretty good results from wet/dry sand paper up to 2000.  The micro mesh looks like its next level. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 11:06:30 PM
:tu:.  I had pretty good results from wet/dry sand paper up to 2000.  The micro mesh looks like its next level.

Agreed. I also used 2500 and the 3000 I mentioned earlier.  'Next level' is a good way to put it.

Pads are great when you want to reduce or remove curvature (flatten surface), and the sheet material is great if you want to follow or retain curvature.

Thanks Grant for your advice  :hatsoff:

You're welcome, Matt!  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%