Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Juice Kf4 (pic heavy)

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Leatherman Juice Kf4 (pic heavy)
on: February 22, 2019, 07:19:53 PM
A couple of days ago I went back to the store were I found those "old" Wenger knives some time ago.  This time I went there because they still had some "2015" Victorinox Cadets (the blue ones) last time I was there, and one of the members here (and a fellow countryman) kept  :pok: me about them ...  ::).

And since this member claimed in another topic that $177.5 for a 2015 Cadet was dirt cheap, I thought maybe I should go back and buy them both at retail price (41 Euro)  >:D.

Just messing with you "unknown fellow countryman" ...  ;)

Anyway, while I was there I had another look at their Leatherman display box and noticed a Juice Kf4, but I must confess that I know nothing about the whole Juice/Squirt tool line up since I stayed clear of them all these years.  I did seem to recall that this lemon-yellow one was one of the first ones Leatherman made (I might be wrong about that, like I said, I know very little about them), so I had a good look at that one. Date codes in the handles said 0601 and 0701, and since it was older than I expected it to be I decided to go for it.  And once again, since the store-owner said nobody wants to buy these "small" Leatherman tools, I got a -50% discount, and while she was trying to find the original box for it under the counter she came up with another Kf4 (in another type of box, with another style of manual along with it). So I got both of them (and both at -50%  :D).   If anybody has more info on the two types of boxes, please share it here.

The first one (that came out of the display) had that transparant belt clip in the box, while the other one came in a completely different box but without the belt clip.  This second one had date codes 06/01 and 06/01 in the handles.  And strangely enough, on the one with date codes 0601 and 0701 the 0601 is on the side of the flat drivers on one handle, while the 0701 on the other handle is on the side of the plierhead.  On the other Kf4 the date codes are on the small tools side (flat drivers and phillips) on both handles.  It looks like the liners holding the date codes can be flipped around by the looks of it, just thought it was a bit weird.

Here are some pics (taken inside with smartphone):

Here's a pic of the one that came out of the display cabinet, with its original box, belt clip and manual:

And here's a pic of the one that came from under the counter, also with its box and manual (no belt clip for this one):

And some more pics of both of them:

I must say that I'm surprised by how good they feel, I mean ... I always thought they would be ... well, a bit crappy to be honest  :pommel:, but they feel really well made, and well capable of real use.
Apart from the fact that you have to open the awl before you can get to the saw (and vice versa when you're closing it) I did find one other thing a bit annoying.

Whenever I try to open the flat drivers by using my fingernail, they pop open and poke me in the finger (right above my fingernail), this has happened a couple of times now and even though it's just a small sting, by the fifth time it really started to get on my nerves to be honest ... It does seem to happen less frequently these last days, maybe because the inner-tools are starting to loosen up a bit (I sure hope so).

I know we have the Lovebite badge for Mr.Pinchy, but do we have a Smallsting badge for Mr. Stingy over here ?  :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman Juice Kf4 (pic heavy)
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 07:44:39 PM
Those are just awesome, TG 8) the flat drivers have been known to draw blood as well :ahhh

Glad you got a good deal on them :like: and it is my favorite a juice model :salute: one of the few that the handles are even and both the same thickness :tu:

Great find :dd:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 08:03:12 PM
I have a KF4 in one of my outdoors kits. It's certainly the best of the Juice line in my opinion, as it doesn't have the crappy flappy scissors or the openers that don't. It still has the profanity inducing drivers, but in an outdoors kit, I'm unlikely to need them. This leaves me with the pliers, two blades, saw, diamond file and awl (which I've sharpened, since they don't like doing that themselves). Quite a useful back up tool to a small Swiss knife.

The Juice line is something which could have been exceptional, if they'd paid more attention to manufacturing standards. I think the reason the discontinued this one, is that being the best of the bunch, it was making the others look bad (which of course they are)  ::) Another issue that you might find, is that if you ever use the saw, it is very prone to bending, and you'll have to flex it to stow away again. I've had a few where it went the wrong side of the awl on closing. Somewhat annoying, but still usable.

Good catch. Congratulations Eric  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 09:27:45 PM
One day you'll have to offer to clean the back store room  :pok: I can only imagine what's back there  :D.  Congrats on those,  plus you got the older box and clear sheath  :woohoo:.   
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 09:37:04 PM
Thanks guys  :salute:.

One day you'll have to offer to clean the back store room  :pok: I can only imagine what's back there  :D.  Congrats on those,  plus you got the older box and clear sheath  :woohoo:.

Which one is the "older" box ? 
And did they always come with a sheath, or was this optional ?
Like I said, my knowledge of the Juice line is very limited, and now that I own one of them I would like to learn more about them ...  :multi:.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 09:59:00 PM
That fellow countryman sounds like an annoying smurf... :megaslap:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 10:02:24 PM
That fellow countryman sounds like an annoying smurf... :megaslap:

You have no idea mate, no idea ...

:whistle:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 10:04:06 PM
I'd put the pilar drill on one of those Cadets and send him the video ::)

Nice LM's by the way...

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 11:03:36 PM
The Kf4 was the best of the Juice line.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 11:47:11 PM
Thanks guys  :salute:.

Which one is the "older" box ? 
And did they always come with a sheath, or was this optional ?
Like I said, my knowledge of the Juice line is very limited, and now that I own one of them I would like to learn more about them ...  :multi:.

The older box is the one with the graphics on it :cheers: the black and yellow was more a generic box and newer style :salute: as far as sheaths I dont know if they were optional :think:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 08:46:45 PM
Great stuff  :like: I love this juice model  :like:

I need a Cadet  :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30