Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A New and Refreshing Multitool with Mysterious Origins...

Offline mikekoz

Re: A New and Refreshing Multitool with Mysterious Origins...
Reply #60 on: April 06, 2019, 08:14:59 PM
   My replacement arrived, and it seems good!! I also noticed that this thing has a small pair of tweezers stuck in the handle, sort of like what you would get on a SAK! I may have to carry this for a a while and see how it does!!  :climber:

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: April 07, 2019, 12:41:56 AM
  I got another one, and it does not have the issues of my original one. The pliers are straight and no grinding noise!  :woohoo:  I may have to carry and use it for a while to see how it does.  To the original poster, if you are still out there, have you used yours at all, and what has your experience been with it??

Sorry, didnt realize so much movement on this thread! Yes, I might have considered it at $40. The fit and finish were surprisingly good, and the pliers are awesome! Large spring loaded pliers are sweet as heck. But it weighs so much I haven't found a place for it outside of my tool bag so far. I was really really surprised about both the blade and the saw, both work better than expected.

The biggest reason it is seeing little use ATM is I keep getting new toys to play with! I just got a kick (then modified it), then a charge (that I turned into two leatherman knives)

If this tool has a 4mm bit adapter I'd probably use it all the time. The bit part of this tool is the biggest letdown, the rest has been way above expected for the price.

A glass breaker on the end is pure genius. Also, is it me or is the holster way above what you would expect?

Also, just tested scissors, they actually cut better than those on my wave...how embarrassing.

Cheers,
H.G.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 12:53:55 AM by Happy Gilmore »

Offline mikekoz

Reply #62 on: April 07, 2019, 01:30:38 AM
Sorry, didnt realize so much movement on this thread! Yes, I might have considered it at $40. The fit and finish were surprisingly good, and the pliers are awesome! Large spring loaded pliers are sweet as heck. But it weighs so much I haven't found a place for it outside of my tool bag so far. I was really really surprised about both the blade and the saw, both work better than expected.

The biggest reason it is seeing little use ATM is I keep getting new toys to play with! I just got a kick (then modified it), then a charge (that I turned into two leatherman knives)

If this tool has a 4mm bit adapter I'd probably use it all the time. The bit part of this tool is the biggest letdown, the rest has been way above expected for the price.

A glass breaker on the end is pure genius. Also, is it me or is the holster way above what you would expect?

Also, just tested scissors, they actually cut better than those on my wave...how embarrassing.

Cheers,
H.G.

What you did to those Leathermans is really cool!  I never would have thought of that! The bit driver does not bother me too much, but they could have made the tool a tad wider and put a standard 4mm one on it. It would not have made much of a difference in size or weight. The holster is pretty nice considering it is an off brand name tool. Speaking of the weight, I carry a Surge on me every weekend and it is on my belt and I hardly notice it is there. If I put it in my pocket, that would be a different story!   I am going to start carrying this one and give it a test. Thanks for your insight and for bringing this tool to our attention!!  :salute: :like:

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: April 11, 2019, 12:29:17 AM
      What you did to those Leathermans is really cool!  I never would have thought of that! The bit driver does not bother me too much, but they could have made the tool a tad wider and put a standard 4mm one on it. It would not have made much of a difference in size or weight. The holster is pretty nice considering it is an off brand name tool. Speaking of the weight, I carry a Surge on me every weekend and it is on my belt and I hardly notice it is there. If I put it in my pocket, that would be a different story!   I am going to start carrying this one and give it a test. Thanks for your insight and for bringing this tool to our attention!!  :salute: :like:

I just got a BO surge and strangely...even with a pocket clip it wasn't as heavy as I expected, but I ALWAYS wear a serious belt on me at all times (Wazoo Cache belt is my jam) so I never feel the pull of my pockets.

I guess I could see something cool in this tool, Spring loaded pliers of this size really feel comfortable, and the cutter/glass breaker are super handy to have on hand. The scissors are definitely on par with the best scissors I've every used on a MT.

Cheers,
H.G.

Offline Tolman

• New User
Reply #64 on: May 14, 2019, 02:58:01 PM
I just got one. It's a heavy tool but a full size one so that's okay.

First thing I noticed was that the bits were 5mm or 3/16". Micro bits just fell in and 1/4" ones are too big.
Another thing that I didn't like was the design of the scissors. If I push it by the little plastic grip to keep it back in the tool, I can really cut myself. The scissor will open up and stab into the pushing part. It's not something you can casually lend to someone.

The rest of the tool felt alright. Will have to test it in the field.

Tldr; Good tool for money, will stab friends

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: May 29, 2019, 11:34:43 PM

Turns out this tool has exactly the same pivot size as the Leap, works independent of the lock mechanism, and even has the same curve as the multi-tool when stored..all I had to do is minor adjustments of the frame and scissor and the swap worked perfectly. Not only that but I can still open the leap one handed. Nice part is that opening this way instead of on the original tool (by the plastic piece) is much much safer.

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #66 on: July 23, 2019, 11:30:55 PM
any advice on taking this tool apart?

ive just stripped the scew using T8 but T10 doesnt fit.

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: July 26, 2019, 04:53:46 PM
Anyone got a link to buy this tool? I'd like to try one! :)

Charles.

gb Offline kingofswords

Reply #68 on: July 26, 2019, 08:11:03 PM
this is where i got mine, dunno if you can get cheaper elsewhere though.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32965373230.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.630b4c4dIUs6oD

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: July 27, 2019, 04:38:36 AM
any advice on taking this tool apart?

ive just stripped the scew using T8 but T10 doesnt fit.

Actually I took the whole thing apart but I can't remember. Maybe a T9? I do remember there was more than one size.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #72 on: June 03, 2021, 12:31:06 PM
Finally found this thread.
What happened to this tool? I thought people would be all over it on youtube, seeing how cheap it is and how nice is looks. Yet no English reviews exist. It would help if the tool had a name or even brand. :rant:
WeAllJuggleKnives had shown it briefly, but did not end up reviewing it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 12:36:12 PM by ReamerPunch »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Online Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #76 on: June 05, 2021, 02:52:44 AM
Finally found this thread.
What happened to this tool? I thought people would be all over it on youtube, seeing how cheap it is and how nice is looks. Yet no English reviews exist. It would help if the tool had a name or even brand. :rant:
WeAllJuggleKnives had shown it briefly, but did not end up reviewing it.

I never could pull the trigger on buying this MT when it was available on Amazon earlier this year. Now that it is unavailable, I find myself wishing that I had bought it.

It appears that it is available on AliExpress.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #77 on: June 05, 2021, 03:03:23 AM
 I don't know, it looks suspicious that nobody bothers with it. I asked WeAllJuggleKnives a while ago if he'd review it and he said the quality was not good. I liked the design and still do, but if the execution is subpar I am not going to bother with it either.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #78 on: August 09, 2021, 10:02:28 AM
Mine just got delivered this afternoon.  Cost me about USD20-21 including shipping.

Some notes after an hour of play:
- I also have that ‘gritty’ feel / sound when I open and close the plier heads. 
- The screwdriver bits are driving me NUTS! The one with the larger philips and flathead (#2?) had a missing ball-on-a-spring lock.  The bit size are also crazy! Bigger than those on a SAK Cybertool but smaller than the standard hex bits! Is this some china-based bit caliber we’re looking at here?
- The liner locks or the tools which they lock seem to be a hair too long.  I had trouble finding out which tool locks and which doesn’t. The locks work when engaged though. I think there’s excess metal like those excess bits of plastic from injection moulding.
- Main blade needs a tad bit more sharpening. A brand new SAK is sharper at this point.

I’m gonna spend a bit more time with it tomorrow morning. After buying this (and the Grand Harvest K6), I’d say that with the same amount of money, might as well just buy a Roxon Storm.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #79 on: August 09, 2021, 11:13:50 AM
The bit size are also crazy! Bigger than those on a SAK Cybertool but smaller than the standard hex bits! Is this some china-based bit caliber we’re looking at here?

Those are 5mm bits if I remember correctly.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #80 on: August 09, 2021, 01:56:01 PM
Those are 5mm bits if I remember correctly.

I should try to look for those. I think what we have here are quarter inch bits.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #81 on: August 10, 2021, 09:25:05 AM
I should have ordered this tool earlier and joined the “Daredevil Challenge” for August.  I have a feeling that would be the best time to get acquainted with it.

I took the blade to a file to sharpen the edge.  My biggest fear is that the blade is the type where you take 10-15mins sharpening it and it dulls in half that time (even just by cutting paper or kitchen towels/tissue). Time and usage will tell.

Talking about kitchen towels, I rolled some up to 5mm diameter and tried to cut them using the pliers.  First attempt jammed the plier head in a closed position (tool must be screaming ‘I’m not ready for this!’) and trying to pry it open resulted in one of the grips pivoting halfway to the closed position. Good thing I didn’t need another tool to pry the jaws open.  Succeeding cuts went smoothly with no jamming.

The gritty sound in the plier head has been minimized….but so has the return of the plier head’s spring lol.  I don’t mind.

The frustration over the broken ball and spring of the 5mm bit has been remedied by a 5mm strip of black duct tape wrapped once around the center of the bit where the ball was supposed to be.  Duct tape fixes everything!

Talking about bits, I had to try the eyeglass/micro flat and philips drivers. Needed some effort to get them into the slot, making sure that the corners of the hex are correct.

I filed down some excess metal near the pivot of the pry bar. Now the liner clicks into place with a satisfying snap! Still have yet to use it though. Right now the pry bar feels like a SAK fish-scaler - the perfect poking tool.

To their credit:
- The tool came in well-oiled.
- The only ‘sharp’ part that I felt was the edge of the plastic thumbnail of the scissors.  Of all things…..
- I like that all the tools were on one side.  In fact, I appreciate them being all outside with the pliers the only tool being inside.
- Scissors work and haven’t given out yet (I’m looking at you, K6).
- The handles do not splay that far! And I have small hands.  The K6 with smaller plier heads has a wider splay.
- Sooo amused by the old-school Wenger style tweezers.
- The hex bit it comes with is perfect for disassembling the tool itself (or the K6).

I wish it had a can opener though. I’d rather have that in place of the package opener.

Gonna spend a bit more time with it for the remainder of the week.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #82 on: August 10, 2021, 09:46:09 AM
If you want to join the DareDevil Challenge as a latecomer, you are more than welcome to!
The DareDevil Challenge was made for tools like this. :cheers:

I was thinking of getting it, but decided against it. I might give it some more thought. :think:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #83 on: August 10, 2021, 09:53:12 AM
Also, it angers me that interesting designs like this are being released with no brand, and yet big brands release mediocre designs. Imagine this design by Kershaw, or Buck, or CRKT or something.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #84 on: August 10, 2021, 10:30:47 AM
Also, it angers me that interesting designs like this are being released with no brand, and yet big brands release mediocre designs. Imagine this design by Kershaw, or Buck, or CRKT or something.

Swiss+Tech or Xiaomi *might* pick them up…….and sell them for 2x the price  :rant:

I see it in the online stores (Lazada and Shopee) which cater to our region. The “Wave”-like MT  is being carried by Swiss+Tech and from USD30, it’s now 40-ish. The Grand Harvest K6 was picked up by Xiaomi and is selling at USD50-60ish.

This one….not yet. 

Before I forget, the novelty of this tool is it reminds me of a Cybertool! Yeah the bits and bit holder are probably gonna fly out with enough force (ie using the hammer) but it’s a very novel idea!

@ReamerPunch: really, I can still join the Daredevil Challenge? Not after the magnets or anything but I smell a challenge in using this tool! And yeah, get one of these even if just for your collection! Or one for the workshop or something. 

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #85 on: August 10, 2021, 01:13:58 PM
yeah mate, feel free to join. We're only ten days in. There's latecomers in challenges some times. I do not mind one bit, and would love to see what this tool has to offer.  :cheers:
Also, let's face it. This tool will most likely not appear in any other challenges. :rofl:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #86 on: August 10, 2021, 09:01:31 PM
   I have been carrying this tool now every weekend now for over 2 years and it has held up well. Light use, but it is still one of my favorite users!

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #87 on: August 11, 2021, 03:56:06 AM
   I have been carrying this tool now every weekend now for over 2 years and it has held up well. Light use, but it is still one of my favorite users!

Nice! I didn’t realize that the tool is over 2yrs old.  Maybe it’s just now that it’s finding its way into my “suggested products” stuff in the online app.

I tried to use it on house stuff today and I’m kinda frustrated that it didn’t come with an awl (needed to make a hole in a plastic tray. Used a Vic with an inline instead).

I’m also attaching a pic of what happened when I tried to use the glass breaker as a scoring tool of sorts. I guess the point isn’t made with anything more than steel.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #88 on: August 18, 2021, 04:07:04 AM
I initially wanted to use this in the current Daredevil challenge but at the end of a couple of days, the only tools I’ve used on it are those which can be found on a climber SAK.  I guess (and possibly thankful) that there hasn’t been a real need for the tool just yet.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #89 on: December 02, 2021, 01:51:50 AM
Update:

This tool has been in a shoe box at the trunk of the car (cargo space of an SUV) since late August.  I was doing an equipment check this morning in case we needed to go out of town anytime soon.  I tested the implements then this happened:

I don't know if it’s the weather, the WD40, or whatever.  I dare say I just about had it with these USD20 China tools.   :rant:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%