Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK 91mm combo tool from cap lifter?

gb Offline craggus2000

SAK 91mm combo tool from cap lifter?
on: February 25, 2019, 07:55:14 AM
As someone who is trying to find some 91mm combo tools at a not extortionate price, and currently failing miserably I had the thought of trying to make some from 91mm caplifters...  :drink:

Do you think this might be possible? I don't have a combo tool to compare the tangs or thicknesses or even shapes, so any input would be grately helpful!

Could someone maybe post some detailed pics and measurements, as I'm wondering if this might be the way to go, given the number of caplifters in the world, if indeed it is possible...  ???

Thanks   :tu:
-
Craggus2000

"If it ain't broke, break it and make it better!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Re: SAK 91mm combo tool from cap lifter?
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 08:48:21 AM
The Caplifter is thicker than the Combo Tool - Which is it´s major downfall IMHO. It tends to flex/bend easier under load.
I´ll try to measure on a Compact and anotehr SAK for measurements but am unsure if the caliper is in the shop or at home...
And I´m sure the tang area is formed differently.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 11:06:12 AM
The combo tool has the same tang thickness and shape as the small pen blade, so you can compare a caplifter against that to see what would need to change.  Cap lifter nail nick is definitely on the wrong side and it's a fair bit thicker, but  it might be possible to make it work. :tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 01:36:18 PM
Also, the cap lifter is handed differently too. The standard openers pass each other on the other side to what the blades do. The small pen blade passes the main blade on the left, but the cap lifter passes the can opener on the right.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline craggus2000

Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 02:13:45 PM
Hadn't thought of the nail nick issue  :oops:, maybe keep it on a separate layer, and change the can opener to something more useful? Any ideas what that can interchange with it pretty seemlessly?
-
Craggus2000

"If it ain't broke, break it and make it better!

us Offline Simyo

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 05:07:11 AM
If you’re looking for cheaper combotools, you could use them from 84mms.  However, they would need to be drilled out to 2.5mm and they sit lower than the 91mms.  As far as your options, small blade, combotool, e blade, or pruner blade.  Good luck man.

us Offline AeroBear21

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 12:01:50 AM
I have been wondering the same thing. I'm a lefty so I've been trying to find a way to include the can opener function in a way that allows me to use it properly (since the normal can opener is pretty awful for lefties). I thought about flipping it but that would make the nail nick difficult to reach. Then I found this https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,34772.msg1288027.html#msg1288027

The benefit of this is that the can opener can then be turned into a technician screw driver as was done here https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,34772.msg685702.html#msg685702

Of course this might not work for you if you want it to function exactly as the combo tool does and need it to be located on the blade layer.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%