Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

King Innovation Multitools

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
King Innovation Multitools
on: February 25, 2019, 04:54:03 PM
 Got these pair for about $34 Shipped. Not exactly very cheap, but its one of those odd thing I had been eyeing for a while.  :cheers:

Most likely these had been discussed before in MTO, but certainly an experience when I have them hand on. They, are absolute crap. More crappy than expected.  :facepalm: It seems someone are so lazy to take the exact design/locking mechanism from a wave/surge and built them with the worst possible material available on the planet. Possibly made from recycled trashcan material. Straight from casting of material to assembly, then packaging, without bothering to do any form of finishing. The whole tool just scream "RAW". Anyone could have done a better job at home. In theory, all of the implements should lock. But in reality, none locks positively and some does not even engage.  The zero effort and the non existence QC Dept sure amused me.. :rofl:  Its a real eye opener for the $34 spent. I dun think anything can be worst the these..

Pics Galore. Note one of the tool had a stamped number of 170720. I hope it mean 20th July 2017. The pics doesn't do them justice. They are absolute crap. :ahhh

Size comparison

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: King Innovation Multitools
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 08:52:57 PM
Thanks for the heads up on how bad they are. Your photos tell the truth about how junky they are compared to the real deal. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 09:09:32 PM
And at almost $90 they aren't much cheaper than a REAL Wave! You know, I'm surprised why LM doesn't buy the patents to the specialized components from King Innovations, and make specialized versions of the Wave and Surge with quality at about the same price. But, quite frankly, I don't believe there is that much of a market for highly specialized tools as these.

By far, my favorite component is the ruler/level. I wonder if that can be modded into an LM product?

I looked them up, and noticed that they no longer make the Wave and Surge knockoff-based tools? Did LM sue them or something?  It's had to have been fairly recent, as the LM knockoffs were being sold wide

Here's the "I Tool 2.0" based on your run-of-the-mill no-name Chinese cheapie. It's about $30, on the other hand.  The "L Tool" seems discontinued without a replacement.

http://kinginnovation.com/products/86/i-tool
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 09:12:20 PM by cody6268 »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 08:51:37 PM
When I get off work, I have the regular Wave-ripoff I Tool waiting at the house. I'm excited to see how crappy it is in person.  :woohoo:

Thanks for the information, Cody! :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 02:41:36 AM
Well. They sent the 2.0 version after I specifically asked them to not send the 2.0 if the original wasn't available. Smurfheads.

Now to decide whether to keep it or not. :facepalm:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 04:03:30 AM
Well. They sent the 2.0 version after I specifically asked them to not send the 2.0 if the original wasn't available. Smurfheads.

Now to decide whether to keep it or not. :facepalm:

Good luck. To me, it looks like a lot cheaper tool than those it replaced. The components look like some serious el cheapos in my collection--the frame looks like a $10 Tekton and the pliers on a $5 Tacklife.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 04:09:09 AM
I guess it is a matter of perspective.  I don't consider them to be that bad, but I bought both used and very inexpensively.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 04:37:05 AM
Thank you for the input, Cody and Yadda! :salute:

I opened the package and played with the 2.0 for a bit. It is built like a tank. But, I do not know if there are any $10-$20 tools with the same locking system.

Cody,
Would you mind posting a photo of the Tekton locking system?

I have a TackLife to compare it to though. Will do that in a bit.

The 2.0 does not feel cheap at all. Good fit & finish, good lockup, and decently formed tools. So it has that going for it. :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 05:38:58 AM
Good catch on the pliers, Cody! Identical indeed.  :salute:

It is huge and unnecessarily so.  :facepalm:

Does feel pretty good for a C & C tool though.  :)

I just ordered the L-Tool on eBay, which is an older King design and should be more of a representation of the original I-Tool. I also ordered what I think is an original. But, unlike last time, I emailed them and specifically said I will definitely return the item if they send an I-Tool 2.0 instead of what I ordered.  :ahhh

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 06:29:46 AM
Got ahold of the L-Tool before the I-Tool(which is due to arrive tomorrow). :ahhh

Once I gave it a really good cleaning to remove the grinding/polishing dust from the factory, it looks pretty decent for a $14 tool. It is actually one of the best C & C wire stripping heads I have seen. No play and has an adjustment screw. The tools all lock up enough to use. Driver definition is mediocre. The tool isn't going to compete with LMs, SOGs, Vics, Gerbers, etc. But, there is the fact, it was $14 new, so expectations weren't high. IMO, it is very good for what it is and what it costs. Interesting toolset to boot.  :)

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 07:26:30 AM
I like the Allen heads. I come across Allen screws a lot more often than slotted ones. :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 07:38:41 AM
 :cheers:
Indeed. Allen and Torx are more and more prevalent it seems. The L-Tool has 3 sizes. I'll have to use a caliper on them to get the sizes tomorrow. The L-Tool is geared towards Landscape Lighting(as the "L" designates, where the "I" in the I-Tool is for irrigation), so I would guess the main Allen driver is common in that field.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 03:57:14 AM
All three of King's landscaping/irrigation oriented multi tools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%