Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you use the SAK pliers for?

ddogu · 21 · 3092

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
on: February 27, 2019, 11:55:05 AM
I've had a few "plierified" SAKs and even though I was in love with the pliers (not the big pliers found on some models like the SwissTool or the Wenger Ranger) in the beginning, as time went by I noticed that I can hardly make any use of them. The grip is short for my hands and cannot hold much stuff firmly (compared to full-sized pliers on few other models or MTs). I thought maybe I can hold tight some small nuts or something but this thick layer is not worth carrying for this purpose only.

Somebody once mentioned that they're good and easy-to-use tweezers, which I agree with. Though, if I keep using them on nuts and other hard metal stuff (bending thin metal etc) eventually their tip's gonna get worn off/damaged and they won't be suitable for tweezing purposes anymore...

In the end, I'm kind of disappointed with these even if they look quite cool. What do you guys do you use it for, or do you even use these? Are you a fan/hater?

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: What do you use the SAK pliers for?
Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 12:20:09 PM
I think my main use in "number of times" is actually cleanly fixing a hangnail without causing a bleeding wound. Also, I use them to tighten knot work where I can't get access or sufficient force with my fingers. Dip switches used to be an excellent area of use, but I don't know the last time I encountered a dip switch. I use them as "strong, small fingers", not like "mechanical pliers".

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 12:32:37 PM
In the past, I never found them very useful. The second Victorinox I ever got was a Deluxe Tinker, and too often I found myself having to reach for my accompanying pliers tool. It wasn't long after that I decided that the 91mm pliers were a waste of time, and for the most part, I ended up avoiding models that had the pliers on. The only ones I kept were the Cybertool 34 and 41.

Now my life has changed, and i'm no longer in those heavy engineering or marine environments, I'm finding myself less likely to need those heavier plier tasks. Very often, the Gerber Dime on my keys will do just fine, so I'm now coming back around to the idea of the 91mm pliers.

Later this year, I'm going to be sacrificing my CT34, taking the pliers off it, and putting them on something slimmer. I'm hoping this will work for me, but won't know for certain till I try it.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 03:43:11 PM
They work great for lifting something hot from a campfire, or twisting safety wire.  They're great as forceps!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 03:45:01 PM by Barry Rowland »
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 03:57:17 PM
I used to think the pliers were silly.

They are tiny, yet add an immense amount of bulk to a SAK.

However, after getting a Swiss Champ and using the pliers a bit, I came to realize that, though small, I do find them useful for some things. As some of the other guys have said, I think of them as sort of heavy-duty tweezers or a tiny hand for tight spots/small objects.

Where I really found them useful is in fishing. They are great for crimping shot, pinching barbs, and removing hooks from fish (and people... :facepalm:). In addition, they can work like a tiny vise for holding a fishing fly while the fly gets trimmed up a bit (although this requires a separate pair of scissors).  For those uses and reasons, the Deluxe Tinker has now become my favorite fishing SAK.   :tu:

Do I want them on all my SAKs?  Probably not. But as I use them I begin to think of additional ways to use them: untying knots? fixing a zipper? holding a sewing needle?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 03:59:11 PM
Great point Jack!  I've used mine for fishing tasks more than anything else!
Barry

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 04:41:45 PM
The pliers worked great for removing stuck staples in the stapler:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 05:06:50 PM
Great usages! I like that they are magnetized and great at holding nails and screws! Especially on the nails when a hammer is involved.  :woohoo:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 05:08:16 PM
Overall, I'm a fan.

The SAK pliers are solid and well-made.  I feel they compete well with other pliers of similar size, e.g. keychain-sized pliers-based MTs like the Squirt PS4, Gerber Dime, etc.  Obviously, they are going to seem small and lacking if one is used to a Swisstool or Surge, and they are limited in application to what will physically fit in the jaws.

I've used the SAK pliers in the past for a number tasks, including small nuts, cutting and twisting small wires, removing heavy-duty staples, pulling fuses, and removing light bulb bases after the bulbs broke in the fixtures.  They are stronger than they look, especially if one avoids putting lateral pressure on the pivot.

I have a Swisschamp that I use as a glove box knife, and also a Deluxe Tinker that I sometimes carry, though I hate giving up the corkscrew.  I often carry a Mountaineer or Huntsman, and would be all over a Deluxe Climber if they were current production/I could get one for a reasonable price.  As funds allow, I will probably get a Cybertool M and see what I think of it for pocket carry.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 11:36:38 PM
I use them for all sorts of things and just like any other tool the more I use them the better I get at using them too!

My favorite work use may be as a Vice of sorts to hold connectors and wire will soldering or looking for issues.

The Mechanic is great as it is not very big but the pliers are beasts!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 04:15:37 AM
Wenger pliers are even more fun in that they adjust to two different sizes!  I don't have access to one at the moment but my son has a knife with them.  I've been thinking about it.  The majority of the time that I use m/t pliers, I really don't need hefty ones.  I really use them as glorified tweezers or forceps. 
Barry

us Offline 264

Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 05:25:17 AM
I used my Evogrip S557 to install a porch light. I used the pliers to loosen the small bolts that held the light to the garage.  They worked fine.
P_20190227_231549_SRES.jpg
* P_20190227_231549_SRES.jpg (Filesize: 217.24 KB)

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 05:53:55 AM
Some really good ideas here i had never thought about. Keep ˋem coming  :tu: :popcorn:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 07:02:44 AM
I'm a total fan of the Vic pliers.  My only wish is that they should have kept the slimmer 2.5mm ones around too.

I like the 'big tweezer' descriptions, and I often use them like a needle nose replacement.

But I also like to use them to hold something small that I want to hammer. Like punches or brads. And not because I'm chicken about smashing my fingers...sometimes a 3mm or 2.5mm plier head will hold something that is too small for your fingers to hold, but still want to smash the smurf outta it with manly hammer force.  For some tasks like that, I don't own a better pair of dedicated pliers. I have one pair that I keep with a broken spring. It's usually better for the hammer related duties.

Off the top of my head:
Bending small items
Pulling weeds
Clipping small gage wire
Reshaping Vic springs
Picking up small hot or burning items
Pulling the oven rack
Turning a pizza screen
Pick your friend's nose.
Close/open small chain links
Thorn or splinter removal. Sometimes better than Vic tweezers for that.
Cracking pistachios - the not fully opened ones
Bending small metal items to break off a part like casting flash
Pull the end of a clipped zip tie
Pulling rusty nails

To me, I think they (3mm) are worth the extra weight and size of almost any knife above the 2 or 3 layer range. I still need to build some thin 2.5mm mods...
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 07:25:50 AM
I'm a total fan of the Vic pliers.  My only wish is that they should have kept the slimmer 2.5mm ones around too.

I like the 'big tweezer' descriptions, and I often use them like a needle nose replacement.

But I also like to use them to hold something small that I want to hammer. Like punches or brads. And not because I'm chicken about smashing my fingers...sometimes a 3mm or 2.5mm plier head will hold something that is too small for your fingers to hold, but still want to smash the smurf outta it with manly hammer force.  For some tasks like that, I don't own a better pair of dedicated pliers. I have one pair that I keep with a broken spring. It's usually better for the hammer related duties.

Off the top of my head:
Bending small items
Pulling weeds
Clipping small gage wire
Reshaping Vic springs
Picking up small hot or burning items
Pulling the oven rack
Turning a pizza screen
Pick your friend's nose.
Close/open small chain links
Thorn or splinter removal. Sometimes better than Vic tweezers for that.
Cracking pistachios - the not fully opened ones
Bending small metal items to break off a part like casting flash
Pull the end of a clipped zip tie
Pulling rusty nails

To me, I think they (3mm) are worth the extra weight and size of almost any knife above the 2 or 3 layer range. I still need to build some thin 2.5mm mods...

Excellent post! :2tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

il Offline Shalom

Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 08:31:12 AM
If the thickness is what bothers you carry a Leatherman P4 next to a SAK ,one on a paracord  dangle the other on a pocket clip.
They tend to sit along side each other and feel flatter in the pocket

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 09:02:42 AM
Wow, so many different uses and tips! I wasn't expecting this much  :o  :salute:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 10:37:29 AM
I used them earlier to cut a couple of short lengths of small gauge insulated wire. I'd not used them for this purpose before and they worked well.

I don't use them often. They do add bulk and I've sometimes wondered if I can go without them and have a Ranger as my everyday comprehensive SAK. But they're so handy sometimes, especially in a pinch, oh dear, that I feel the extra bulk is justified. Like others here I mostly use them as super-tweezers for holding, pulling, shaping, and retrieving small items from tight spaces, as well as tiny pliers for holding and turning small nuts.

For some tasks ... I don't own a better pair of dedicated pliers.
:iagree:

Pick your friend's nose.
:o :rofl:
Rambler

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 12:55:08 PM
Great topic and uses :tu:

I'm new to them and although I haven't used them yet I'm sure they'll have their place, especially after reading through  :cheers:

us Offline 264

Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 09:05:30 PM
Just found these at my front door. :hatsoff:
Polished the pliers so they would be extra pretty for the photo. Well alcohol meet the celidor. :rant:
Whine whine whine. We will be fixing up and improving family member home. So they will be used a lot and have many battle scars soon. :ahhh  :popcorn: Battle scars are good.
P_20190228_145417_SRES.jpg
* P_20190228_145417_SRES.jpg (Filesize: 100.25 KB)
P_20190228_151212_SRES.jpg
* P_20190228_151212_SRES.jpg (Filesize: 221.04 KB)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:18:03 PM by 264 »

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 10:38:21 PM
Mainly use the pliers to grab some things like screw anchors... After I screwed around with the screws.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%