Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you have sitting around waiting to use?

264 · 12 · 1008

us Offline 264

What do you have sitting around waiting to use?
on: February 28, 2019, 10:33:38 PM
I have looked through many posts trying to find a listing like this one I am posting. If anyone out there can direct me to it thank you and I will post my picture in the pre existing post.  :)

I have these tools waiting around on display of sorts to mostly open mail, boxes, pop soda lids, open food packages, fix frying pan and pot handles, Open medicine bottles, and other similar tasks. What do you have sitting around waiting for duty? :climber: :popcorn:

From left to right:
Evogrip S557, Evogrip 14, Explorer, Climber, Ambassador, Red MiniChamp, Alox MiniChamp, Stayglow Classic SD, Translucent Blue Classic SD
P_20190228_155527_vHDR_On.jpg
* P_20190228_155527_vHDR_On.jpg (Filesize: 164.51 KB)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: What do you have sitting around waiting to use?
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 10:42:31 PM
Not sure I understand the question. Do you mean users that you pick from for pocket carry, or knives put somewhere specific ready for use in that area, or something else entirely? I have some knives in set places or assigned to kits, and others in a drawer just queueing up for pocket time. None are on display.

Mine are all shown in THIS thread, but not sure which of those pics are relevant here.   :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline 264

Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 11:14:46 PM
Not sure I understand the question. Do you mean users that you pick from for pocket carry, or knives put somewhere specific ready for use in that area, or something else entirely? I have some knives in set places or assigned to kits, and others in a drawer just queueing up for pocket time. None are on display.

Mine are all shown in THIS thread, but not sure which of those pics are relevant here.   :think:

Just sitting around at home waiting to be used. ( The knives are sitting around ) and when I am home do I find a use for them? Each knife has a different unique tool from the others. The S557 has pliers and a wrench.The evogrip 14 has serrated scissors but all the tools of the climber but smaller. The climber tools are larger. The explorer has a magnifier and inline philips. The two minichamps are different in their tool line up (One has pen & tweezers the other does not). One classic SD glows in the dark the other does not. I use the tools mostly at home. Do I find a use for any of the models when I am home. If I carried around anything larger than a 58mm pocket knife I would feel uncomfortable in public.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 11:27:27 PM by 264 »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 11:42:18 PM
The only knives that don't really get carry time, are a Tourist that lives in the kitchen drawer (no scissors, no carry), and a Compact which permanently resides in a First Aid Kit.

The Tourist gets used for kitchen duties, opening tins and food packets, and the Compact only gets used for cutting dressing, or emergency use should I lose, break, or otherwise render unusable whatever my pocket carry is. Everything else is up for carry, either as a specific kit, or an adhoc combo.

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 11:51:06 PM
Welcome to  :MTO: 264.  :cheers:

I have a few, my old SwissChamp lives under the lid of my tool chest, and gets used fairly often. I always have one in the kitchen drawer, currently a Standard, that gets used multiple times daily if I'm home, this varies from time to time, but usually a 2 or 3 layer 91 or 93mm lives there. I have a Spirit X in my carry along tool bag that gets used often, and last but not least, a Wenger Clipper in the toiletry kit that gets used as needed. These are the ones that get used but hardly ever carried, sort of laying around (as if my OCD allowed anything to be "just laying around")...  :ahhh  :D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 11:55:17 PM by twiliter »

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 12:21:43 AM
(no scissors, no carry)
How very scissist of you! :pok: :D
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 12:39:37 AM
How very scissist of you! :pok: :D

Always  :D

That Tourist was my first Victorinox or Wenger pocket knife. Within a week, I regretted that choice. Several times, I had to get my pliers tool (then a Swisstool CS Plus) out of my bag, because the knife didn't have scissors. I heeded that lesson, and have made sure that any pocket carried tools have had scissors ever since.

I will occasionally carry a traditional knife, and fall back on the scissors on a knifeless plier tool, but still wouldn't carry a scissorless Swiss knife with that tool. Victorinox and Wenger make some of the best scissors in the business, so I want them on ALL my Swiss pocket knives, and without the scissors, I might as well carry a nice bolstered traditional knife instead.

A Swiss knife without scissors, is like a pen without ink, glasses without lenses, or a watch without a face. A pencil, contacts, or a bracelet suddenly become a lot more appealing instead.

I didn't word that well. Bad brain day :surrender:

Scissors are what makes a Swiss knife special. Without them, other knives become a lot more appealing, both traditional knives, and modern folders.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 01:08:28 AM by AimlessWanderer »

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 03:05:22 AM
Good points, AW. I tend to only gravitate towards SAKs with scissors, but am always open to trying ones without scissors(I've got some in the collection). Though, similar to how you feel, my developed expectation is for a SAK to have scissors(and a flat-blade driver) and blade. :)

As far as the thread goes, I keep a Classic SD(slightly cracked translucent scales with miller logo)  on my desk for all kinds of little stuff, when all I need are tiny scissors, fingernail file, and little blade(sometimes the T & T come in handy).
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 09:28:29 AM
My wife's Outrider sits on the desk for stuff like this. I have a CRKT Swindle as a desk knife as well and an Opinel for eating apples with.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 05:41:40 PM
A lot of my collection is laying around and ready for use. Any horizontal surface in my office or my half of the bedroom is fair game.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline 264

Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 10:11:36 AM
Always  :D

That Tourist was my first Victorinox or Wenger pocket knife. Within a week, I regretted that choice. Several times, I had to get my pliers tool (then a Swisstool CS Plus) out of my bag, because the knife didn't have scissors. I heeded that lesson, and have made sure that any pocket carried tools have had scissors ever since.

I will occasionally carry a traditional knife, and fall back on the scissors on a knifeless plier tool, but still wouldn't carry a scissorless Swiss knife with that tool. Victorinox and Wenger make some of the best scissors in the business, so I want them on ALL my Swiss pocket knives, and without the scissors, I might as well carry a nice bolstered traditional knife instead.

A Swiss knife without scissors, is like a pen without ink, glasses without lenses, or a watch without a face. A pencil, contacts, or a bracelet suddenly become a lot more appealing instead.

I didn't word that well. Bad brain day :surrender:

Scissors are what makes a Swiss knife special. Without them, other knives become a lot more appealing, both traditional knives, and modern folders.

:iagree:
That is one reason why my favorite model is the Climber. The scissors, tool set and size. We have lots of different kitchen knives but 99% percent of my non kitchen knives are Victorinox. I have a  Leatherman. I also have a couple of Ganzo multi-tools for jobs that might destroy or break the tool. 

us Offline 264

Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 10:15:38 AM
Welcome to  :MTO: 264.  :cheers:

I have a few, my old SwissChamp lives under the lid of my tool chest, and gets used fairly often. I always have one in the kitchen drawer, currently a Standard, that gets used multiple times daily if I'm home, this varies from time to time, but usually a 2 or 3 layer 91 or 93mm lives there. I have a Spirit X in my carry along tool bag that gets used often, and last but not least, a Wenger Clipper in the toiletry kit that gets used as needed. These are the ones that get used but hardly ever carried, sort of laying around (as if my OCD allowed anything to be "just laying around")...  :ahhh  :D

Thanks for the welcome Twiliter. My gmail seems to not always inform me of new posts.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%