Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Micra History.

wales Offline rrr47

Micra History.
on: February 09, 2019, 03:22:02 AM
It may be on this web-site somewhere already, but when did the Micra come out? I purchased mine in 1996 and as you can see it's been used a lot!
P1130041.JPG
* P1130041.JPG (Filesize: 135.58 KB)

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Micra History.
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 01:10:43 AM
The Leatherman Micra was there first attempt at a keychain tool and they hit a homerun with this one. It was introduced in 1996 and 20 years later it is still in production. Even with the Leatherman Mini-Tool (a great compact set of pliers and great multitool in it's own right) it still didn't fill the keychain tool gap. So Leatherman decided to produce small multitool based on scissors instead of pliers. Using the look and feel of their previous tools the Micra has a quality feel that is still evident today. Even with the introduction of both the Squirt series of tools and the Style series, sales stayed steady enough that the Micra has remained in production to this day.

More:

https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Micra

us Offline gregpost

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 02:46:34 AM
I read an article where Ben Rivera stated he was assigned by Tim Leatherman to improve on the PST, so he designed the Super Tool. He then worked on the Micra, which he called a great project.

How Leatherman President Ben Rivera Designs Your Multitools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 03:13:06 AM
The Leatherman Micra was there first attempt at a keychain tool and they hit a homerun with this one. It was introduced in 1996 and 20 years later it is still in production. Even with the Leatherman Mini-Tool (a great compact set of pliers and great multitool in it's own right) it still didn't fill the keychain tool gap. So Leatherman decided to produce small multitool based on scissors instead of pliers. Using the look and feel of their previous tools the Micra has a quality feel that is still evident today. Even with the introduction of both the Squirt series of tools and the Style series, sales stayed steady enough that the Micra has remained in production to this day.

More:

https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Micra

:iagree: :like:

and also this thread is a good read with many of us putting the dates of our Micras in a list :cheers:

Who has the oldest Micra?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 05:56:44 AM
 :like: :tu:

wales Offline rrr47

Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 10:03:24 PM
 Thanks PowerNoodle for the info,  :oops: sorry for the late response, I forgot I asked, mine must be one of the first then, but it has sat in a draw all these years, I didn't want to scratch it.  :facepalm:

Thank you to all the others who also responded. :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD