Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

More comfortable multitool WITH PLIERS to use like a knife???

au Offline Brock O Lee

Re: More comfortable multitool WITH PLIERS to use like a knife???
Reply #30 on: March 09, 2019, 12:35:29 PM
Slightly OT, but I think the compromises inherent in having full size pliers and a knife in the same tool are some of the reasons why so many folks carry combos, e.g. pliers-based MT + dedicated knife, pliers-based MT + SAK, or SAK + dedicated pliers.

:iagree:

Sometimes a MT has too many compromises, and seperate tools are worth the extra bulk.

I like the Rebar, but it’s not comfortable in a hard grip. The Spyderco Native LW is not a champion of hand comfort either, but is in a different universe in comparison. The Knipex punches above it’s weight...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:47:31 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: March 09, 2019, 04:28:06 PM
Just to add to the conversation, Juice S2 Original.  Its very comfortable in my hand about as much so as my 84mm SAKs. 
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: March 12, 2019, 02:49:25 AM
after pulling all my tool together and doing some tests...I can't find anything that comes close to the Spirit it both ergonomics, function, and quality when it comes to using the knife for an extended period of time. However, the Charge S30V blade was just as sharp at the end of the test as it was in the beginning and was only slightly uncomfortable to use.

I'd say either the Charge TTi or Spirit would be my top suggestions based on what I have atm.

Cheers,
H.G.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: March 12, 2019, 02:12:39 PM
I find the proud tools when used in knife mode hit my hand noticeably enough for the Spirit not to make my list.  Plier mode is another story.  My Charge TTi is the same.  Now don't get me wrong both work great as knives but they are not the MOST comfortable or more comfortable when compared to my Skeletool.  Its interesting as I've mentioned in this thread that the Swisstool while blocky is a bit more comfortable since the tools sit flush inside the frame as compared to both Charge and Spirit.   

I always enjoy threads like these.  Everyone has such different experiences.    :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: March 12, 2019, 03:31:45 PM
I find the proud tools when used in knife mode hit my hand noticeably enough for the Spirit not to make my list.  Plier mode is another story.  My Charge TTi is the same.  Now don't get me wrong both work great as knives but they are not the MOST comfortable or more comfortable when compared to my Skeletool.  Its interesting as I've mentioned in this thread that the Swisstool while blocky is a bit more comfortable since the tools sit flush inside the frame as compared to both Charge and Spirit.   

I always enjoy threads like these.  Everyone has such different experiences.    :salute:

I am really wondering if the Signal has similar or even better ergonomics as the skeletool. Anyone have one to test?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: March 12, 2019, 04:24:54 PM
The plastic bit for the diamond file and ferro rod and if I'm being picky the pocket clip all in my hand would make the Signal not a contender.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: March 12, 2019, 04:29:02 PM
Let me toss a random MT out there for y'all,  LM LEEP.  The finger grooves make it comfortable for smaller hands. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Not the most versatile, but the LM Freestyle is IMO a knife that happens to have pliers.  I preferred the ergonomics on it over those of the Skeletool.

I prefer better a Skeletool  with carabiner cut. It is similar to a Freestyle, but with the bit driver

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Another vote for Spirit, probably one of the best MT with great aesthetics.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Spirit gets my vote. I haven't found anything close to it that works for me..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

fi Offline temo

I like ST300 simply the best. If need to put some pressure example carve wood (bigger slices). No edges in knife use position. Big handle. Easy to control. Rebar and spirit about the same for me. Skeletool as mentioned I think is good. But not as good for heavier carving. Still control and handling Ok.

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

• No Life Club
Let me toss a random MT out there for y'all,  LM LEEP.  The finger grooves make it comfortable for smaller hands.

Yep, it's official for me. Over an hour of wood work and I was still enjoying it with bare hands. By far the most comfortable MT knife so far (who knew the Leap would be so good). The thickness and shape of the blade give me confidence too.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Probably a very underrated tool.  In hand it feels great.  Glad you found the same to be true.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Probably a very underrated tool.  In hand it feels great.  Glad you found the same to be true.   :like:

:iagree:  Leap got another vote from me, love the light weight and the contoured handle, ergo wise, I dare say it is even one of the best from LM camp.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Skeletool os comfortable  in knife mode, in contrast with its pliers. It is not that much of a knife though (half serrated is mine), but thankfully I am gifted regarding big palms and long fingers (I was stupid and truant and didn't try to learn tha piano or violin, unfortunatelly) and I choose the Surge. Charge and Wave also.
Spirit's blades are nice but actually a downgrade from a regular SAK and the handle focuses on the most comfortable pliers experience.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%