Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Great(?) Lantern Thread

nate j · 34 · 1331

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
on: March 07, 2019, 06:20:22 AM
It seems there are very few threads about lanterns, though obviously there are certain situations where a lantern is preferable to a flashlight.  I use my lanterns for camping, as well as using the battery-powered ones during power outages and sometimes for task lighting around the house.  I have three lanterns, and below are my thoughts on each.

Streamlight Siege (3 D-cell version)

- long run time, i.e. manufacturer claims hundreds of hours on low setting
- multiple brightness settings
- red light capability to preserve night vision
- waterproof
- floats
- built-in battery power level indicator
- cleverly designed handle and top and bottom D-rings provide multiple hanging/mounting options
- limited mode memory, i.e. the lantern remembers whether it was last operated in white light mode or red light mode

Dislikes:
- no glow-in-the-dark components; this would be nice to have for locating the lantern in the dark when the lantern is off
- limited mode memory, i.e. the lantern does not remember the last brightness setting

Energizer LED Emergency Lantern

- long run time, i.e. manufacturer claims hundreds of hours on low setting
- multiple brightness settings
- water resistant
- cleverly designed to operate on either 3 D or 3 AA batteries
- glow-in-the-dark switch makes it easy to find, even in the dark when the lantern is off
- price; inexpensive at under $20

Dislikes:
- simple handle and single bottom hook limit mounting/hanging options
- no "intelligent" switch operation or mode memory, i.e. all the modes must be cycled through every time one uses the lantern

Coleman Premium Powerhouse Dual Fuel Lantern

- highest setting is very bright
- can run on Coleman Fuel or gasoline

Dislikes:
- operation and maintenance are a bit more involved than for a battery-powered lantern
- outdoor use only; not safe to use inside structures, vehicles, or tents
- must be kept out of reach of children, due to the fragility of the glass globe and how hot it gets during operation
- expensive; I think I paid about $70 for mine new

What lanterns do you have, and what do think of them?

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Re: The Great(?) Lantern Thread
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 02:37:39 PM
Nate,I want to believe you but as they say Pics or it Never Happened?!

For starters the easy ones that I have right at hand.

So this is the AA Siege

And this is the Big Bro Siege,in action a few weeks ago when my power went out.

Sent from my iPhone,dont expect too much
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 02:40:09 PM by ezdog »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 03:45:26 PM
I have a couple lanterns I use for camping.  We have a variety of light options for power outrages.  The lanterns I use ( forget the brand, I'll check later ) can use less batteries than the lantern takes.  I can use 6 when the lantern uses 10.  Less output but its nice feature.  I use diffuser cones on certain flashlight that tail stand so they can perform like a lantern.  Being able to use flashlights with cones is really good option to a lantern.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 04:34:55 PM
I will try and get a pic of my 60 Day UST lantern :cheers: I have had it for close to 4 years and have never had to put new batteries in it :o Really love how bright it is and mainly keep it on my nightstand in case of night time power outs :cheers: Very happy with that purchase and also bought my father in law the 30 day one at the same time I got mine :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 04:38:18 PM
 :popcorn:

Sounds interesting Poncho
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 05:08:34 PM
I will try and get a pic of my 60 Day UST lantern :cheers: I have had it for close to 4 years and have never had to put new batteries in it :o Really love how bright it is and mainly keep it on my nightstand in case of night time power outs :cheers: Very happy with that purchase and also bought my father in law the 30 day one at the same time I got mine :tu:

Same here the run time is crazy!

Also don't know if you have noticed but the UST has a definite warmer or Neutral tint emitter too!
Sitting next to the Streamlight it is a big enough difference for even non hobbyists to notice,well sometimes. :dunno:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 05:15:01 PM
I have a couple lanterns I use for camping.  We have a variety of light options for power outrages.  The lanterns I use ( forget the brand, I'll check later ) can use less batteries than the lantern takes.  I can use 6 when the lantern uses 10.  Less output but its nice feature.  I use diffuser cones on certain flashlight that tail stand so they can perform like a lantern.  Being able to use flashlights with cones is really good option to a lantern.   

You are thinking just like me!

I have this little Template that I made so I can quickly make a diffuser for lights that I have already sized there.
These diffusers cost me nothing and work great when needed.
Remember Film Canisters!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 05:46:05 PM
Very cool.  I've used lip balm tops, random white tubes from stuff like crazy glue, and they've worked good.  I like options and my lantern are in the shed so I always have quicker access to my flashlights. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 05:32:56 AM
Nate,I want to believe you but as they say Pics or it Never Happened?!

Ha ha, I'll see what I can do.  Unfortunately, the Siege is the only one I positively know the whereabouts of at the moment, and you've already helpfully provided a pic of that model.  I am not sure where the other two are after the fire I had at the house last year.  I do believe they're around, I'm just not sure what boxes the cleaning people put them in.

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 12:38:53 PM
I got a few of the 60 Day and will try and get them up today :cheers:

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 01:55:34 PM
Here are a few pics :cheers: these are the light with and without the cover. I really like that you can take the cover off  and it is more like a light bulb and has a spot on the bottom that you can attach it to something and hand it upside down  (of course I forgot a pic showing this :facepalm: ) it take 6D batteries and is a bit :o :ahhh when you first get it and does add a bit of weight to it but after they are in and using it, it isn't so bad :cheers: I have had this lantern about 4 years as I said above and I have never had to change batteries yet and used this light last night for a few minutes in fact :salute:
20190307_191404-756x1008.jpg
* 20190307_191404-756x1008.jpg (Filesize: 230.64 KB)
20190307_191423-756x1008.jpg
* 20190307_191423-756x1008.jpg (Filesize: 114.92 KB)
20190307_191414-756x1008.jpg
* 20190307_191414-756x1008.jpg (Filesize: 161.51 KB)

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 02:01:28 PM
This light has 3 modes and maybe as SOS mode :think: but it has been so long that I forget for sure if it has an SOS mode :dunno: I usuly use it on the brightest setting but medium is also pretty bright :salute: thinking 500lm was high and I can't remember the lm for.medium but low was 10-15lm seems like :think: I also remember that it came in a dew color choices when I bought this one, seems it was orange (like mine) , silver and glow in the dark.  I am very happy I bought this one and have thought about getting a 30 day one like I got my father in law because it only takes 3D batteries and is about half the size :o

The pics are high, med and low but the high and low don't look a lot different in the camera like they do in the real world :salute:
20190307_191437-756x1008.jpg
* 20190307_191437-756x1008.jpg (Filesize: 156.42 KB)
20190307_191444-756x1008.jpg
* 20190307_191444-756x1008.jpg (Filesize: 145.75 KB)
20190307_191455-756x1008.jpg
* 20190307_191455-756x1008.jpg (Filesize: 177.52 KB)

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 07:54:40 PM
Don't know much about the one on the left.  My grocery chain had them out a couple of summers ago for $3 each.  Run on 3 AA batteries and are dimmable (not that they are super bright).  Handy for putting in a bathroom or bedroom when the power goes out.
The big one on the left is a Coleman CPX6 with 400 lumens.  Uses 4 D batteries or a 6 volt battery pack.  Good for a living room sized area.
Lanterns - 1.jpg
* Lanterns - 1.jpg (Filesize: 148.33 KB)
- Steve

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 09:33:01 AM
oddly enough I actually have 2 to add to this. apparently it is picture taking time again
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 03:39:20 PM
oddly enough I actually have 2 to add to this. apparently it is picture taking time again

:like: :popcorn:

and great post smiller :tu: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 03:49:22 PM
Poncho, will your lantern take less batteries and still run?  My lantern will accept less and run but will less output.  Its a nice feature IMO. 

I like to use the lanterns if the power will be out for a short time, could of hours.  Then I switch to liquid candles which burn a very long time.  I also have 5 hour emergency candles that actually burn for their stated time.  I have Eneloop adapters for C/D cells which are nice but I haven't had to use them.  The misses burns candles nearly every night so if the power was to cut off we cue Marvin and.........  >:D
Esse Quam Videri

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 09:59:09 PM
I will have to try it because I have had it so many years I just can't remember if that was a feature or not :think:

If it is that is awesome :ahhh

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 10:01:02 PM
Also,  I have meant to get the C and D battery adapters for AA for years and now you have reminded me :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 10:19:35 PM
I have more AAs than any other cell.  The adapter are really nice for that one reason in my case. 

:popcorn: it would be interesting to see if your lantern will work off less cells. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 10:43:37 PM
But the AA has so much less runtime than a C or D cell that I have never really understood this thinking?

Are you talking about a single AA in place of a bigger cell or multiples?

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 10:48:33 PM
Here is the UST 30 Day which takes 3 D cells.
It also comes apart like the bigger one which is nice and it also nests perfectly with the GST SS Mug like a Nalgene Bottle does!

I keep this one in a car kit.
This is the one that also somehow has really nicely tinted emitters which really shocked me the first time I used it!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 10:52:43 PM
Single/Double.  I wouldn't put AAs with adapters in place of say 8 C/D cells.  One or two, sure.  I can get away with my lanterns using less cells it takes.  Mine takes 10? I can use 6?  I need to confirm tho.  I get less output but its a nice feature and being able to use a AA in the event I need to is not bad. 

This is why I'll only use lanterns for a power outage for a short time.  I like my liquid candles best. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 10:56:29 PM
I really like these Energizers too and they are pretty inexpensive and they Dim within a fairly wide range too!

I use these a lot with power out and when Camping.

The big one will run on 4 or 8 AAs too.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 11:00:40 PM by ezdog »

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 11:02:41 PM
Single/Double.  I wouldn't put AAs with adapters in place of say 8 C/D cells.  One or two, sure.  I can get away with my lanterns using less cells it takes.  Mine takes 10? I can use 6?  I need to confirm tho.  I get less output but its a nice feature and being able to use a AA in the event I need to is not bad. 

This is why I'll only use lanterns for a power outage for a short time.  I like my liquid candles best.

Me too!

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 11:35:15 PM
I have more AAs than any other cell.  The adapter are really nice for that one reason in my case. 

:popcorn: it would be interesting to see if your lantern will work off less cells.

The less batteries is apparently a no go on this one :-\ I tried a combination of different batteries out and different numbers of batteries put as well but unless all of them were in, it wouldn't light up  :salute:

But the AA has so much less runtime than a C or D cell that I have never really understood this thinking?

Are you talking about a single AA in place of a bigger cell or multiples?

The adapters would only be used in power outages as a last resort, as like Aloha, I have many AA but any less C and D cell batteries :cheers:

I have also looked into getting a candle lantern, the UCO ones look pretty good but not sure :think: any of you guys have any experience with those :cheers:

Also, I had a couple of the Energizer type ones and could never get on with them but that was several years ago and i am sure they worked all the bugs out of them :tu:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 12:41:15 AM
The adapters would only be used in power outages as a last resort, as like Aloha, I have many AA but any less C and D cell batteries :cheers:

Also, my experience is that predictions of a serious storm quickly result in no C or D cell batteries on store shelves, but AA batteries seem to be less popular/more available.

Those liquid candles look neat.  Can you share more about them?

us Offline Dan B

Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 04:55:34 PM
Family photo of my lanterns.

From left to right:  two cheap Walmart lanterns, two Nitecore PA 10 CRI mini lanterns, a Streamlight Siege lantern, and a battery pack with two light ropes.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 12, 2019, 01:27:09 PM
finally got around to this

both in working order
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: March 12, 2019, 03:35:29 PM
Great pics Dan and styx :tu: :like:

us Offline Dan B

Reply #29 on: March 12, 2019, 04:11:55 PM
Thanks, Poncho.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Donations