Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Survival kit on yourself

Poncho65 · 120 · 12195

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Survival kit on yourself
Reply #90 on: December 22, 2016, 04:45:46 AM
You and everybody else pretty much hit all the high points on the kit. For my kit I try to incorporate it as part of my carry instead of carrying it separately. For example for cordage I carry a quick release 550 paracord weave attached as a key chain to my carabiner and key ring along with a whistle, Shard, and flashlight. I have some band aids and duct tape stashed in my wallet. Knife, LM Multitool,  glass breaker I keep separate in my other pocket. I've lost too much stuff when tools are attached to one another.

Hope this helps. You must have big pockets😜

Back when I started this thread almost 8 years ago :o My carry was different and it has evolved and gotten much better over the years :tu: I don't feel that I have to much stuff on me as I have grown accustomed to carrying it all :cheers: Also the way I carry it and disperse it also helps :D

Actually from the looks of your carry list you carry almost as much as I do :think: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #91 on: December 22, 2016, 04:46:16 AM
New page banana man dance

:nanadance:       :nanadance:

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: December 22, 2016, 05:52:42 AM
Not really carrying this as there is so little chance I will ever use it. But I like making kits.

I still like pics and see what other people have :tu: and that SAK :drool: Need to see pics of it opened up :ahhh :D
Its a midshipman... you can still buy them in Ibach :D

Will take a picture in the evening.
Took me longer than promised :P

That model is a little hard to find in the US.
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: December 22, 2016, 07:59:02 AM
I've drafted a few replies to this thread but never posted........

Have you considered where this preparedness need comes from?

I ask because I noticed a decrease in my own need.  Not that the world is becoming a better place, but for one I realised that if the SHTF while I'm at work the ability to quickly walk 10-15km is worth more than a survival blanket. 

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #94 on: December 22, 2016, 07:36:47 PM
Interesting psychology question, Gerard. I like putting kits and gear together, but a few years ago it became almost a mania; I've kind of always been the person that if I have one of something I need three, but I was buying a LOT of supplies and putting together a LOT of kits. When I realized what I was doing I decided to stop and look at what was going on around me. I identified that when I feel like I'm losing control of what is happening in my life, I build survival kits. I was going through a very rough patch personally and this is how it was manifesting. Once I realized what I was doing, it was easier to deal with and take back control of my circumstance. I haven't built a kit since then (mostly because I have about a dozen that are already made!).
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #95 on: December 22, 2016, 08:03:42 PM
Kits are fun to put together. I like having a few 1st aid kits around most have a bit more than the standard boo boo kit contents which I find suit me best.  I think all said I have 3 of these kits which are all easy pocketable. 

As far as survival kits on person  :think: other than my daily MT, SAK, and light I don't have a "kit".   I have tried to carry a lighter but I just cannot seem to make it stick.  I do have one in my truck tho.   

I guess my thinking is along the lines of if SHTF I would likely be at a very near to my vehicle or home.  In either case I think I'm good to go.  If I were out and about then getting to my vehicle would be "relatively easy". 

I do have a few hike kits however.  Day hike, scout hike, walk, and foraging hike ( collecting fat wood, sap, etc ).   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #96 on: December 22, 2016, 11:00:44 PM
I've drafted a few replies to this thread but never posted........

Have you considered where this preparedness need comes from?

I ask because I noticed a decrease in my own need.  Not that the world is becoming a better place, but for one I realised that if the SHTF while I'm at work the ability to quickly walk 10-15km is worth more than a survival blanket.

I will need some gear as my walk from work is over 100 miles one way and that is a daily trek but in a truck it is a bit easier than on foot :ahhh :D but point taken :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #97 on: December 22, 2016, 11:04:41 PM
Kits are fun to put together. I like having a few 1st aid kits around most have a bit more than the standard boo boo kit contents which I find suit me best.  I think all said I have 3 of these kits which are all easy pocketable. 

As far as survival kits on person  :think: other than my daily MT, SAK, and light I don't have a "kit".   I have tried to carry a lighter but I just cannot seem to make it stick.  I do have one in my truck tho.   

I guess my thinking is along the lines of if SHTF I would likely be at a very near to my vehicle or home.  In either case I think I'm good to go.  If I were out and about then getting to my vehicle would be "relatively easy". 

I do have a few hike kits however.  Day hike, scout hike, walk, and foraging hike ( collecting fat wood, sap, etc ).   

When I first started this thread EDC was a relatively new term for me and I liked being prepared (and still do) but I didn't know what all was out there and was curious as to what others carried in there pockets to be prepared :tu: Now I feel I know quite a bit more about what is out there and just like to revisit this thread ever now and again and see how my own EDC has evolved :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #98 on: December 22, 2016, 11:41:59 PM
It is neat to see what gear you carried and if any changes were made.  Certainly a good idea to carry something that makes you confident about getting home.  I darn near live out my vehicle so I kinda leave things in there.  I know I'd be bumming if I couldn't get to it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: December 23, 2016, 07:19:40 PM
I don't necessarily carry a "survival kit" on me every day but I have a minimum of things I carry everyday. For me what I'm doing and the weather dictate how much and what I carry. My minimum carry for a clear summer day would be a SAK with a saw and two ways to start a fire, flashlight and water bottle.

As the weather and my daily situation changes I start adding things like cordage, tape, fishhooks, hand warmers chapstick ( fire starter) tinder, ect. And most of these things are kept in small decided survival tins.

I never carry all of this at once but different days different combos.

One of the mental games I play is in the morning when I take my Dogs out first thing in the morning is " what would it take to survive these conditions today and tonight and fill my coat and pants pockets accordingly.

IMG_20161223_090756.jpg
* IMG_20161223_090756.jpg (Filesize: 139.32 KB)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 07:24:09 PM by gene stoner »
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #100 on: February 12, 2019, 04:21:31 AM
I started this thread over a decade ago :o I have changed some over the years with what is carried and even came back to some things that I had put down for a while :salute: I always carry band aids, still have an Olight but it is the I1R EOS now, have the same bullet shaped peanut lighter on a set of keys, a small ferro rod was added a few years ago, still carry a MT and a SAK (though they have changed) :cheers: I carry a backpack back and forth to work that I never did before, been about 2 years with it now :tu: I keep random gear in it (FAK, extra LM flat bits, some meds and the Altoids tin has moved from my pocket to it as well) that would qualify for a survival kit plus other stuff that I do need on a daily basis :cheers:

Plenty of new members here now and I would like to know what all of you guys carry that might qualify as a survival kit that isn't a survival kit :tu:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #101 on: February 12, 2019, 04:35:23 PM
That would be this one...slides on my belt when I go out on a day hike...first aid kit...fire starting...knives...compass ...cordage...tick removal tool - a souvenir, don’t ask...magnifying glass lense. Looking to update it shortly.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #102 on: February 12, 2019, 04:37:22 PM
Great looking kit, Ray  :tu: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #103 on: February 12, 2019, 04:40:10 PM
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #104 on: February 12, 2019, 05:30:33 PM
Great looking kit, Ray  :tu: :like:
Thanks! I like it a lot  :cheers:

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: February 15, 2019, 10:49:49 AM
I put this together some time ago as a fun project and wound up carrying it in the small pocket of my cell holster.
Its a little bigger than a credit card and about as thick as a Vic SwissCard. It was vacuum packed but the seal didnt hold. A small ferro rod & button compass are loose at the bottom of the pouch.

Contents;
ReadyMan SurvivalCard gen1
ReadyMan UrbanEscape card
P-38 can opener
2.5in hacksaw blade
Dogtag snapoff arowhead/knife
12lb mono line
Dacron thread
3in reflective tape

Edit:
Added pic of 2 spare RM cards I have. The Survival has the arrowheads and the Urban has lockpicks.
20190215_033141-1.jpg
* 20190215_033141-1.jpg (Filesize: 186.22 KB)
20190215_033135-1.jpg
* 20190215_033135-1.jpg (Filesize: 226.01 KB)
20190215_035332-1.jpg
* 20190215_035332-1.jpg (Filesize: 152.22 KB)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 11:02:26 AM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #107 on: February 15, 2019, 11:59:03 AM
Nice small kit, Noa :cheers: I have looked at those type survival cards :tu: Have you used any of the stuff on them, if so how is the quality :think:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #108 on: February 15, 2019, 12:10:36 PM
Always: SAK or Multitool (sometimes both) combined with a folder.

In winter I usualy have a Buff and flashlight in my coat pockets.

In summer I have the same items in a small slingbag, alongside a FAK, pen, space blanket and some other small stuff (spare batteries etc).

When i decided to take my Skinth along too, there's usualy a range of hex bits, bit ratchet and Pocketwrench on me as well.

So it varries from day to day and even more so from season to season, meaning I'm not always geared thoroughly. But I've always got some essentials on me.

And like Grant says: the best tools are the ones you brought along.
:salute:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: February 15, 2019, 01:58:10 PM
My regular (smallish) shoulder bag has a combination of stuff which would help for emergency usage as well as for everyday needs. It's pretty much always on me while I'm outdoors.

Small bottle of alcohol hand wash, baby wipe sachets and tissues.
Ebook, powerful flashlight, Anker battery charger, USB cable and spare phone battery.
Pills - painkillers and anti diarrhoea.
Whistle, Suunto Clipper compass, LM Charge, LM Bits, 60ft of kelvar triple strand cord and 10ft of paracord made into a handle on the bag.
Mini roll of gorilla tape, band aids, sachet of salt, mini bic, mini lip balm, two UCO Stormproof matches, spare 18650 and AA batteries.

This is in addition to the 'regular stuff' in my bag which is not at all emergency applicable. Thing is that the the list above is as useful in a potential emergency situation as it is for daily life. I use all of it regularly with the exception of the whistle.

The main missing element for 'survival' planning (which to be frank is mainly fantasy) is food and shelter. I have a full camping kit in my car with full food/water/shelter/sleeping solutions in it and if I'm not in my car or with said bag then I'm in town where I can find both food and shelter or will be within the scope of immediate government help (emergency services).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 01:59:31 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #110 on: February 15, 2019, 02:24:30 PM
I have played with one a little.
They are thin and wont hold up; but for expedient short-term use they are ok. The steel is about like soup can, but it isnt as soft. The hooks and arrowheads are cut with semi-sharp edges and really sharp points. I doubt most of it will last beyond a few uses.

The needles are sharp but at about half the width of a SAK toothpick, expect them to punch little holes in your gear.

The snare locks seem like they will work just fine aswell; though the tiny holes are more for wire than cordage.

The "dogtag" is from a diffrent brand and its steel is thin and flimsy as a soda can. It is scored so when you snap along the lines it makes a sharp edge. The plastic holder serves as a handle and by providing a flat base stiffens it a bit. The reason I picked this one is it is technicly not a knife until you break it.

The weakness of all these is why there is hacksaw and p38 as stronger cutting. One can always sharpen either in a pinch.

Yes I could have added a razor or utility blade; but I wanted to keep it blade free. It wont get in an airport or courthouse but tucked in the back lining pocket of my Maxpedition TC1 it will go most places without bieng noticed or cared about.

In the end it is a "better than nothing" kit for EDC and I wouldnt want to solely rely on it. Truth is I built it as a novelty and ended up carrying it (all 1.6oz of it) just because I can.

I know there is a thread on the cards here on Multitool somewhere.
Youtube IraqVeteran8888 did a demo vid of these in 2015 when they packed them in their subscription box.
https://youtu.be/qAK4iBHwCT4
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 02:26:28 PM by Noa Isumi »
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #111 on: February 16, 2019, 02:33:21 AM
Sounds like some nice gear and preparedness Nick and pombz :like:

Thanks for the thoughts on the survival card Noa :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #112 on: February 17, 2019, 09:49:55 PM
I had ordered these back in January some time but got refunded the money as the seller was no longer on eBay, so I never figured I would get them :ahhh to my surprise they came in the mail yesterday  :o

They are very small peanut lighters in a bronze finish and more of a shiny gun metal :cheers: I was going to add these to different sets of my keys :tu: Micra and 58mm alox in for size reference  :salute:

In this pic I added a bullet shaped lighter that I have a few of as well :tu: they are a bit bigger but still very small in size :like:

Here is a pic of the three side by side :tu:

These little lighters will make for a great item towards having a survival kit on ones person and the bullet lighter (of which I have several) also make and have made great additions :cheers:

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: February 25, 2019, 05:06:20 PM
Its 10am...I should have been in bed 2hrs ago...instead I'm wasting time online for no reason...
All that aside; I did find the following youtube video on a wallet kit that seemed approiate for this thread

Enjoy
https://youtu.be/A45PiPnsuHw
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 05:33:49 PM by Noa Isumi »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #114 on: February 25, 2019, 06:53:00 PM
Even for a wallet that’s kinda big, I mean I got 6 diff first aid kits, one in the garage, workstation, both backpacks, of course the bathroom, and my absolute mini which is the wallet, that’s on me no matter where we go! All it is, is two of two diff size band aids and two alcohol wipes in one of those old school wallet picture thingys. With a wife and a kid it’s come in handy twice and that’s all that matters!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: March 02, 2019, 03:11:46 AM
SAK + Bic lighter + quality AAA light + bandana = way better prepared than most people for well under $50, and it all fits in one pocket

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: March 02, 2019, 06:24:22 PM
SAK + Bic lighter + quality AAA light + bandana = way better prepared than most people for well under $50, and it all fits in one pocket

True enough! I'm also a fan of knowledge over equipment which allows even a list such as the above to go so much further than one could imagine.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #117 on: March 07, 2019, 08:12:07 AM
A friend posted this on their page, so I couldn’t pass posting it,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #118 on: March 07, 2019, 12:15:22 PM
That's neat!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #119 on: March 07, 2019, 02:50:55 PM
I :like: that alot :tu:

Donations