Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

To baton or not to baton, that is the question...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: To baton or not to baton, that is the question...
Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 05:16:26 PM
The video I posted is a really good example how one can split larger logs with materials on hand.  Whats interesting is no where have I seen bush crafters talk or show this technique  :think:.  I could have missed the example if they were shown.  To baton seems to be the preferred method but making wedges ( bush crafty? ) and a baton ( also bush crafty ) seems pretty straight forward and dare I say fun?
Esse Quam Videri

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: To bacon or not to bacon, that is the question...
Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 12:20:47 AM
Bacon   :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 02:34:42 AM
 :rofl:
Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline Bill.H

Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 03:52:28 AM
The video I posted is a really good example how one can split larger logs with materials on hand.  Whats interesting is no where have I seen bush crafters talk or show this technique  :think:.  I could have missed the example if they were shown.  To baton seems to be the preferred method but making wedges ( bush crafty? ) and a baton ( also bush crafty ) seems pretty straight forward and dare I say fun?
Lonnie at Far North Bushcraft and Survival is an Alaskan youtuber who has split logs for furniture making using this technique.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: March 10, 2019, 09:02:34 PM
.. That said, I'd rather pick up sticks than baton wood, its faster and easier. As long as it hasn't been raining heavily you should be able to find all the dry sticks you need, there are always dead branches. When everything is soaked you might have to split wood to get to the dry interior. A good, sharp, camp hatchet is the fastest for that.

...Hiking may have different weight requirements where a heavier knife might be all you can carry. In that case, pick up or break sticks for kindling.

... You'll probably need to make feathersticks in wet weather since most tinder will be wet too.
(Tip: birch bark still lights well even when soaked)

Yep.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: March 12, 2019, 02:14:50 PM
Bill H  :salute:.  I like that guys videos. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: March 12, 2019, 02:18:49 PM
Whether you like or dislike battoning.  I'd think anyone who found themselves in a situation ( yes hypothetical ) where the wood was wet and didn't have a hatchet or axe or big chopper would baton if need be  :think:.  Is it a go to for the vast majority?  Are there those who always carry an axe or hatchet? 

I'll personally stick to wedges.  Yes finding materials is easiest so I'd start with this tho if I feel battoning is needed then battoning it is.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 06:29:45 PM
With a proper knife and good technique, I don't believe batoning is any more dangerous to the tool or the user than any other approach to splitting wood.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: March 12, 2019, 06:40:10 PM
 :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

Offline EricBTTA

Reply #39 on: March 12, 2019, 10:48:01 PM
I primarily use my tomahawk or a small hatchet for splitting small logs while out in the woods but when it comes to breaking down smaller wood pieces into kindling I like batoning with my TOPS Steel Eagle Delta, way more control. Here’s a quick video of many of the different options for breaking down firewood including batoning with a sturdy carbon steel knife, check it out and let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/62wuRsOEjfo

- Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: March 17, 2019, 05:05:28 PM
I normally have a hatchet or a saw,so I usually have no need to baton.If I did,I would use this knife.

It is 1/4" thick,has a full tang knife and also has a Scandi grind,all of which makes it ideal for this chore.

randall-fireman 001-1.JPG
* randall-fireman 001-1.JPG (Filesize: 308.08 KB)
randall-fireman 002-1.JPG
* randall-fireman 002-1.JPG (Filesize: 283.69 KB)
randall-fireman 003-1.JPG
* randall-fireman 003-1.JPG (Filesize: 200.9 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%