Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Gerber tthat bit!!

Offline damota

The Gerber tthat bit!!
on: February 26, 2007, 06:53:44 PM
I have read on here many stories of the quality of Gerber Tools.
This is the original Gerber plier, the one that nips fingers. I have just borrowed it back from my youngest son who carry's it for repairs to his bike along with a Top Peak multitool. He has had it for 2 years at least and before that I used it constantly. Note the lack of rust, the main damage is wear on the side of the plier from it being flicked out. It was not cleaned at all before the shot.
I maintaind this like any other of my tools and I am certain he will have lapsed on maintenance and will just sling it in the pouch when he has finnished using it and it still looks ok by me.

Dave
PICT0798a.jpg
* PICT0798a.jpg (Filesize: 45.39 KB)

Offline damota

Re: The Gerber tthat bit!!
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 06:58:04 PM
Here is a couple of shots showing why these used to bite. The upper tool is a MP600 and those extra millimeters made the difference to them biting or not. Also the lock was changed from a slip lock to a piece of solid steel that is pushed between the frame and the tool in use, a very solid lock. I did not know until I took one of these MP600s to bit's but the axle was also changed so the axle can not turn in the frame. I even fixed it back together without any thread lock for a month or so and it did not budge. This was also when they (Gerber) started to put washers with lugs on them to stop tool bunching.
PICT0799a.jpg
* PICT0799a.jpg (Filesize: 56.35 KB)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 07:00:20 PM by damota »

Offline damota

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 07:01:44 PM
The other one

Dave
PICT0802a.jpg
* PICT0802a.jpg (Filesize: 48.65 KB)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 04:29:11 AM
My three Gerbers (newer versions with the locking mechanism) haven't had problems, and I never really figured out why so many people dismiss them.  There must have been one bad review years ago by someone reputable and since then they became the black sheep...either that or the multi tool monster that is Leatherman had better promotion and a wider variety of tools (which all do basically the same exact thing). 

No clumping, one handed opening, solid construction...before I got my SOG, they were the best :)

I still use the Gerbers though, one in my toolbox, one on my desk, and one in my car.

[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 04:58:33 AM
I agree, with a couple of conditions.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of the Gerber 600-series tools, or the smaller 400-series tools. Even better yet in my opinion is the quality of the Diesel Multiplier. Good solid construction all of them.

However, I am a bit concerned that Gerber is risking their reputation by putting their good name on these "economy grade" multitools coming out of China. The Suspension tool for one, and the new Method (which I just bought) are not built of the same stuff as the quality tools mentioned above.

So when somebody makes an unflattering comment about a Gerber multitool, the first thing I ask is, "Which one?"

~Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 05:08:01 AM
I haven't handled any of the other chinese Gerbers, but looking at them in the store in their bubble packs made me cringe...they just look weak and overall shoddy. 

Instead of stepping up their game and innovating (like Leatherman and SOG), they just made some silly looking tools in china and lowered the price by $10 :-\ 
[

Offline damota

Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 12:37:37 PM
I do not like there new tools not because they are made in China but because they are butterfly opening. The Flik looks promising the Freeman is good (the tool selection let it down. I just wish they would stick with what they know best a tool that can be truly opened one-handed. Rather than sitting back I now see they have taken the carbon inserts from the Legend, Fisherman and some of the Evolution heads and are releasing them on what I consider there best pliers the MP600, if only they would put the new thin Philips or just a square ended 3mm fitting for the new Taiwan made bit set. Looks like I have found a reason to buy the cheapest of the butterfly's and move onto the Mod thread  ;) Wonder what I can fill the space with?

Dave

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD