Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help Needed Dating a Companion

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Help Needed Dating a Companion
on: July 21, 2019, 05:40:30 PM
No, I'm not asking for advice asking a friend out on a date!     ;)

But recently a friend did give this Companion to me; she found it at an estate sale and knew I liked SAKs so she paid $2 for it and left it on my desk for me to find at work. 

I don't know much about the 58 mm knives, so I'm hoping maybe someone who collects them could help me date it.  It appears almost unused except for the nail file.  Unfortunately the nail file's spring is broken.  Would Victorinox fix it if I sent it to them?  Or would they just send me a modern replacement instead? 

Thanks,

Myron

Whoops!  Forgot to include a pic of the broken spring:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Help Needed Dating a Companion
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 05:50:57 PM
If Vic won't fix it, I do have one that is in a bit rougher shape cosmetically, but functionally is perfect (other than a broke scissor return spring).  Yours if you need it and I can find it. I think it's in the Plano case with the rest of my 58mms.

In terms of warranty, I sent off two SAKs and a SwissTool. The SwissTool (late 1990s?) had a number of issues, both caused by an abusive former owner and my own stupidity trying to fix said abuse; The Pioneer (red OC; '80s?) , again a beat up abused tool (bent blade, busted awl). The Artisan ('60s) was marked sentimental due to its rarity (at that time, I didn't know Vic let you have the old knife back if they replaced it, most others don't). The Artisan had merely what I would personally view as normal wear and tear for 5 decades of carry and use. The scissors return spring had broken, and the original owner, Mr. Santos (as engraved on pen blade), had did his best to replace the missing screw with a tiny brass rod. But it was loose, and didn't function to my standards.  The Pioneer and SwissTool were replaced with their modern equivalents;  while the Artisan got a full on spa treatment. New blade (original was fine by my standards, but apparently not to Vic's; it was near full, but scratched) saw was apparently sharpened (seemed to cut better), new liners, and the entire 84mm scissor component (backspring, scissors, return spring) was replaced with a new one as well as a full clean, sharpen, and polish (which I requested). New scales and scale tools as well. I also got the old parts back.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 11:06:24 PM
Is the scissor leaf spring black?

I'm thinking it's mid-late '60s to very early '70s.  I don't have a lot of 58mm knives.  But pretty sure they went to double leaf by the '73-'75 range.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 12:08:43 AM
Clicked on topic, read the first line of the opening post ...

Show content

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 03:48:34 AM
that looks like a tough repair, without damaging the scales, might not be worth it.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 07:23:07 AM
that looks like a tough repair, without damaging the scales, might not be worth it.

I wouldn't say that.
Alox 58mm in bad condition are very cheap...for anyone trying it for the first time, take apart the potential donor first. Like anything, it's easier with some practice.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ua Offline LeaF

Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 10:35:28 AM
Hi,

Maybe it's not related to the subject of this thread, but in my opinion, it's not a Companion.
It's an Executive 58 - direct predecessor of Companion 58 model

https://leaf-vics.com/2017/11/616-executive-58.html

https://leaf-vics.com/?s=companion+58

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 01:17:37 PM
If Vic won't fix it, I do have one that is in a bit rougher shape cosmetically, but functionally is perfect (other than a broke scissor return spring).  Yours if you need it and I can find it. I think it's in the Plano case with the rest of my 58mms.

In terms of warranty, I sent off two SAKs and a SwissTool. The SwissTool (late 1990s?) had a number of issues, both caused by an abusive former owner and my own stupidity trying to fix said abuse; The Pioneer (red OC; '80s?) , again a beat up abused tool (bent blade, busted awl). The Artisan ('60s) was marked sentimental due to its rarity (at that time, I didn't know Vic let you have the old knife back if they replaced it, most others don't). The Artisan had merely what I would personally view as normal wear and tear for 5 decades of carry and use. The scissors return spring had broken, and the original owner, Mr. Santos (as engraved on pen blade), had did his best to replace the missing screw with a tiny brass rod. But it was loose, and didn't function to my standards.  The Pioneer and SwissTool were replaced with their modern equivalents;  while the Artisan got a full on spa treatment. New blade (original was fine by my standards, but apparently not to Vic's; it was near full, but scratched) saw was apparently sharpened (seemed to cut better), new liners, and the entire 84mm scissor component (backspring, scissors, return spring) was replaced with a new one as well as a full clean, sharpen, and polish (which I requested). New scales and scale tools as well. I also got the old parts back.

Thank you, Cody!  If your 58 mm donor knife shows up I'd love to take you up on this offer.  After thinking about it a little and seeing what others have posted on this thread I think I'll give restoration of this little SAK a try. 

Thanks again for sharing your experience with Vx repair services.  What an amazing company they are. 

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 01:19:51 PM
Is the scissor leaf spring black?

I'm thinking it's mid-late '60s to very early '70s.  I don't have a lot of 58mm knives.  But pretty sure they went to double leaf by the '73-'75 range.

Hi Kamakiri,

Yes, the scissors spring is black.  Thanks for your guesstimate on the age of this little gem!

Myron

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 01:20:40 PM
Hi,

Maybe it's not related to the subject of this thread, but in my opinion, it's not a Companion.

Thank you, Leaf!  I learned something new today. 

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 06:22:43 PM
Hi Kamakiri,

Yes, the scissors spring is black.  Thanks for your guesstimate on the age of this little gem!

Myron

You are welcome!  :cheers:

Hi,

I believe you are correct for Myron's knife, but there are knives in your blog labelled 'Executive 58' that I think would actually be Companion 58.

For example, your #81 knife:

https://leaf-vics.com/2014/11/081-companion.html

It is my belief that the pictured scissor screw did not exist until c. '76/'77, which is well into the range that I believe the name changed to Companion with the new numbering system. It is also my belief that any advertising knives often may have 'old'/discontinued parts in them like the old machined file not spark (EDM?) type file.  I believe the blank tang reverse is also consistent with mid-late '70s.

I am unsure about your #818 knife marked 'FERRO' - without being able to see if the broken scissor spring is original.

ua Offline LeaF

Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 11:07:04 AM
I believe you are correct for Myron's knife, but there are knives in your blog labelled 'Executive 58' that I think would actually be Companion 58.

It's interesting idea, need to investigate it additionally. Thanks!

I am unsure about your #818 knife marked 'FERRO' - without being able to see if the broken scissor spring is original.
Seems, you're talking about #616 item, right?

Just to summarize: from your point of view, Executive 58 should have old-style nail-file and tang on back side ('Victoria' for instance)?
What about key-ring?

P.S. This transformation (Executive 58 -> Companion 58) is very similar to another one (Commander -> Bijou), isn't it?

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 06:33:55 PM
It's interesting idea, need to investigate it additionally. Thanks!
:cheers: I don't mean to make busy work for you, but I think it's fun to study! 

Seems, you're talking about #616 item, right?
Yes! My apologies for the typo.  :facepalm:

Just to summarize: from your point of view, Executive 58 should have old-style nail-file and tang on back side ('Victoria' for instance)?
I think so, at the very least.

What about key-ring?
I think 'no' on the key rings.  I have not seen a catalog with either model that has one.

P.S. This transformation (Executive 58 -> Companion 58) is very similar to another one (Commander -> Bijou), isn't it?
Agreed. I tend to think so. My opinions are largely weighted by the Commander and Bijou differences. Name changes and 'construction' differences should follow the same if not very similar chronology.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $142.99
PayPal Fees: $8.01
Net Balance: $134.98
Below Goal: $165.02
Site Currency: USD
45%