Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

93mm Alox with Serrated blade?

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
93mm Alox with Serrated blade?
on: March 09, 2021, 10:13:56 AM
G'Day,

I would like to know if Victorinox ever did a 93mm Alox knife with a fully serrated blade, similar as the Serrated Spartan? I checked through the WIKI, but did not see one.

Can a serrated blade from a 91mm fit into a 93mm carcass?

Cheers, Pete

EDIT: Seems like SwissBianco did a Farmer special run with a serrated blade. Unobtanium...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:23:47 AM by pietervn »

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Re: 93mm Alox with Serrated blade?
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 02:10:13 PM
Not sure if Victorinox did them for themselves, but I think Swiss Bianco had some made, but I could be wrong..... :dunno:

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 03:16:08 PM

SwissBianco Carver
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

fr Offline guibur

• Guillaume
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 03:17:40 PM
 :like:
My first name : Guillaume + my name Bur***** = guibur

"Soyez grands par les faits, et simples en paroles."

My YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbyvNcXV7KGEfQVgnCcY4Yg

us Offline 39hotrod

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 03:18:12 PM
 :like: :drool: :drool: :drool:
All who wander are not lost..

It only take a little bit of sharp..

Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 03:31:56 PM
And to answer the question about wether a serrated 91mm blade will fit in the 93mm carcass: only with further adjustments. The holes in the 91mm tools are smaller than on 93mm so you have to drill a bigger hole. Also, when I measure it with a caliper it seems that the tang of a 93mm serrated blade is thicker than the tang of a 91mm serrated blade so I guess you'll need a spacer. Also the 93mm blade seems a bit longer but that shouldn't be a problem.

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 04:18:43 PM
Someone with special tooling could create you some serrations on any knife though. :tu:

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 11:18:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. The Carver looks lovely!!!

I don't think I'll go the mod route. I might try a serrated Spartan first. I just need to find a seller that will ship to Oz.

Cheers, Pete

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 02:36:50 PM
I just had these thoughts my self and found a seller in the US that shipped to Europe so I have two serrated spartan on the way. Found it on the bay..

I have never been a fan of serrated blades before but it sometimes does a good job

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 05:24:27 PM
I just had these thoughts my self and found a seller in the US that shipped to Europe so I have two serrated spartan on the way. Found it on the bay..

I have never been a fan of serrated blades before but it sometimes does a good job

I agree. While serrated blades have some big advantages in certain conditions, in general I dislike them on any of the Victorinox knives. The reason is that, in my opinion, the serrations are on the wrong side which makes the knife more inaccurate in most of the common uses of a pocket knife. At least for me as right-handed. For some reason Victorinox always has the serrations on the back side of the blade, while Wenger has them on the front side (which I think is where they should be!). Ever noticed that?

The Carver makes a good exception to my dislike for the Victorinox serrated knives because it gives you best of both worlds: a plain blade for common uses, and a serrated blade for specific tasks.

^-- where the cat sits

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 07:14:55 PM
I agree. While serrated blades have some big advantages in certain conditions, in general I dislike them on any of the Victorinox knives. The reason is that, in my opinion, the serrations are on the wrong side which makes the knife more inaccurate in most of the common uses of a pocket knife. At least for me as right-handed. For some reason Victorinox always has the serrations on the back side of the blade, while Wenger has them on the front side (which I think is where they should be!). Ever noticed that?

The Carver makes a good exception to my dislike for the Victorinox serrated knives because it gives you best of both worlds: a plain blade for common uses, and a serrated blade for specific tasks.
I have never thought about that, I do like how the oho trekker has a combo blade with the serrated part further out and the pe closest to the handle but I have never used a fully serrated blade.

The reason I bought two is to keep one and test it and if I like it the other one will be modded.

If I like it a lot it will go in to a mod I already have and if it's okish I might so one with two large blades more like a traditional in SAK clothes

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 10:28:02 PM
I utterly regret not grabbing a nice +Bianca serrated Farmer that I once saw for a “user” price. :facepalm:

Thanks for the replies. The Carver looks lovely!!!

I don't think I'll go the mod route. I might try a serrated Spartan first. I just need to find a seller that will ship to Oz.

Cheers, Pete

The serrated Spartan is a fine knife. I like having the choice of of a serrated large blade and the plain edge small blade; most of the time I find the small blade adequate.

I got mine from REI in the US, happy to ship to NZ. There are a couple of sellers offering new ones on eBay. Lots of used ones there too, if you can use a forwarding service. The serrated Spartan seems to be a US specific model.
Rambler

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 11:49:16 PM
Unobtanium...

Yeah...too expensive for casual use, heavy use, or misc. mod parts.

Aside from the cost, LE status, or any special SB colors, not really special enough to care about it as a shelf queen.

But if Victorinox made them for a reasonable price in regular production runs, I’d immediately buy 3 to 5.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 09:33:58 AM
I'm a lefty and really like their serrated blade.

I bought an older model Helmsman with a fully serrated blade and use it a lot. I prefer to have either straight or serrated, combo blades are not for me.

Pete

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 02:32:50 PM
Before the buyout Wenger made several knives with both locking and non-locking serrated blades. Due to the thinner blade stock and shallower serrations those knives cut like lasers. I wish Victorinox would make them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #15 on: March 11, 2021, 07:25:08 PM
I'm a righty and when it comes to slicing I like that the current, even Victorinox serrations are on the right hand side of the blade. Feels just right for me in a way that the left hand serrations of just about every other knife never have. Ideal for tomatoes, say. For other applications like cutting rope and other fibrous materials, I find it makes no difference.

The even Vic serrations are also easy to sharpen if you have the pocket sharpener. The older 91mm and Wenger serrations would be much harder to sharpen. I think you'd need a selection of needle files there.
Rambler

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 11, 2021, 07:49:36 PM
I'm a righty and when it comes to slicing I like that the current, even Victorinox serrations are on the right hand side of the blade. Feels just right for me in a way that the left hand serrations of just about every other knife never have. Ideal for tomatoes, say. For other applications like cutting rope and other fibrous materials, I find it makes no difference.
:tu: Agreed completely. Full RH side Vic serrations are the best to me. I do like the 60% serrations which I think used Wenger tooling(?), but wish they were on the right hand side.

The even Vic serrations are also easy to sharpen if you have the pocket sharpener. The older 91mm and Wenger serrations would be much harder to sharpen. I think you'd need a selection of needle files there.
I mostly use the Spyderco Sharpmaker for serrations. I use my own procedures to try to keep the flat side flat and retain as much of the original angles as possible.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%