Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vise Grips are Back!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Vise Grips are Back!
on: March 11, 2019, 07:45:09 PM
Seems Malco has bought and reopened the old Petersen factory in Dewitt, Nebraska. Not only that, they are making a new line of locking pliers  there called Eagle Grips. Too bad they can't buy all the Vise Grip trademarks from Irwin, and start selling them as Petersen Vise Grips again.

When they come out, I'm buying one of Malco's fencing pliers, and quite a few of these new Eagle Grips. All the while throwing out everything Chinese Irwin; they're junk anyway and I rarely use them. The pairs I have (6LN and 5WR) feel worse than something from Harbor Freight.

Good news not only for DeWitt, but also staunch supporters of USA made like myself.

To be announced in May at the National Hardware Show:

https://www.malcoproducts.com/news/malco-products-sbc-officially-begins-production-of-new-tool-at-former-vise-grip-factory-in-dewitt-nebraska/

za Offline Max Stone

Re: Vise Grips are Back!
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 07:52:25 PM
Nice...  :like:

Tools made by the people that actually own the company:

“As an employee-owned Specific Benefit Corporation, a legal designation that indicates that a specific social benefit — employee ownership, keeping jobs local and strengthening communities — is the primary driver of its business decisions.”
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 09:39:56 PM
Thanks for posting this!  I'm going to pick up a pair too!
Barry

us Offline cody6268

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 11:07:00 PM
Seems a local news station in the Dewitt area has posted what some of them look like. Nine out of the ten models are shown. Seems to focus a bit much on welding clamps and metalworking "hand seamers"  in my opinion. Sure hope the tenth one is something similar to a 6LN being as I have two Petersen pair that are used so much, they are often part of my EDC. For sure, I'll be getting the curved jaw models, since I use the 9R (VERY early model, without the release lever) a lot. 

http://kticradio.com/regional-news/audio-videolocking-pliers-to-be-produced-once-again-in-dewitt/

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:08:52 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 05:16:29 PM
Great news :woohoo: I have some of the old Vise-Grips and it will be nice to get some more that are hopefully on par with them :like:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 09:38:37 PM
 :iagree: Poncho.  After having a lower quality piece of junk fall apart on me while doing a job, I'm all over this!
Barry

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 12:21:06 PM
Maybe they can collaborate with a multi-tool manufacturer? ::)

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 12:25:42 PM
Maybe they can collaborate with a multi-tool manufacturer? ::)

They say a lot of the original equipment still existed in the factory--maybe the toolings to the Schrade/Vise Grip Toolbox/Tough Grip frames still exists?   

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 12:37:57 PM
They say a lot of the original equipment still existed in the factory--maybe the toolings to the Schrade/Vise Grip Toolbox/Tough Grip frames still exists?

:ahhh
 :popcorn:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 03:18:32 PM
I agree!! :woohoo:
Barry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 12:19:16 AM
That would be awesome to see that MT reentered into the MT world :o :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :drool: :like:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 01:20:55 AM
But if they did find the tooling to the actual Vise Grip portion, what about the internal tools? Schrade actually made that part, so someone else would probably have to make them for Malco. I know Bear and Sons makes the sheaths and blades for some of the Loggerhead tools.  And if still current, I'm sure Irwin and Taylor Brands still has any applicable patents.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 03:32:55 AM
This is true and since parents last 20 years there would likely still be a few (even a couple) years left on the patents  :-\ so the likely good of that tool coming back in the near future is slim :cry:

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 02:19:21 PM
Awesome! Yeah America!! :multi:
Send In the spartans

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 10:08:07 AM
This is kinda cool guys  :like:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 06:50:48 PM
I've had some of these in the past and they are very useful. Blast that they are all made in China now. Glad that the folks of DeWitt will be working on the Eagle Grips and I will be watching for them to pick some up, while simultaneously scouring Craigslist for any older, US made Irwins

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #16 on: October 26, 2019, 12:29:49 AM
👍👍
Barry

us Offline cody6268

Reply #17 on: October 26, 2019, 01:32:52 AM
Anyone hear anything recent about these? The announcement was made about a year ago today, and still nothing. They were "announced in May" but are still not available. Perhaps still putting trial runs through their paces?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #18 on: October 26, 2019, 01:36:55 AM
Not a thing.  The next time I get to a hardware store I'll look.  I can always use a set!!
Barry

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
  • "My real name is Cosmo Pombal"
Reply #19 on: December 02, 2019, 02:33:16 AM
I took the liberty of browsing around Amazon for Malco Tools.  They have a lot of sheet-metal pliers, and HVAC-specialty stuff, but no Vise-Grips yet.  :dunno:
"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

"Out of the night comes a man who saves lives at the risk of his own:
Once a circus performer, an aerialist who refused the net...
Once a cat burglar, a master among jewel thieves...
And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 09:45:41 PM
Got the following response from Malco when I asked about availability:

“Thank you for your email. We are still in the initial stages of production. We do not currently have the Eagle Grips product offering available. Please check back with us in in the spring of 2020.
Thank you for your interest in Malco Products.”
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 10:02:49 PM
Got the following response from Malco when I asked about availability:

“Thank you for your email. We are still in the initial stages of production. We do not currently have the Eagle Grips product offering available. Please check back with us in in the spring of 2020.
Thank you for your interest in Malco Products.”

Interesting. Last year, they were saying "Spring of 2019". I guess come Spring 2020, I'll be putting in an order at my local Ferguson (who is the only seller of Malco in my area; I guess because Ferguson specializes in HVAC and plumbing, instead of industrial);.

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 02:39:35 AM
I'll probably grab a few pair, when Malco goes into full production.  Most-likely I'll ditch the Irwins.  I have some original Petersen's in my tool-stable.  The Malco awls are quality items.  You'd be surpirsed how-handy these are.  Especially, doing phone-work setting 'dry-wall' anchors, and junction-boxes.

"Those who do evil to others:  the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists.  Will come to know me well.  Frank Castle is dead!  Call me . . . The Punisher."

And now, a professional bodyguard - primitive, savage, in love with danger."  - T.H.E CAT

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 09:57:07 PM
That is a neat and professional looking tool eTrip.  :like:

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 09:51:19 PM
 :cheers: :tu:

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 10, 2021, 07:32:26 AM
The long-wait for classic vise-grips made in DeWitt, Nebraska is almost over.  I received an email from Malco saying the made-in-the-USA 'Eagle Grips' will be released on April 19th.

On Monday April 19th we will be introducing the Eagle Grip Locking Pliers! We're proud to say these are the strongest locking pliers* ever made. They're produced from American-made steel and built to conquer the toughest projects. As an American manufacturer, Malco has always been committed to quality, and our Eagle Grip Locking Pliers will be no different! We cannot wait for you to get your hands on the finished product.

*Verified by 3rd party testing of the LP10WC (curved jaw locking pliers with wire cutter) vs. leading traditional locking pliers.

Keeping Jobs in America with Eagle Grip®

Although manufacturing is critically important to our national economy, several companies throughout the years have completely outsourced their operations overseas to save on product and labor costs, despite the repercussions. Malco thinks differently. For decades, Malco has been manufacturing quality tools of the trade at our Annandale, MN headquarters. As an employee-owned Specific Benefit Corporation (SBC), we value strengthening our communities and economy by keeping jobs in America. When an opportunity arose to expand our manufacturing operations for Eagle Grip locking tools in the heartland of Nebraska, we knew that it was meant to be.

Expanding Operations to DeWitt to Keep Jobs in America

In 2017, Malco purchased the former Vise-Grip® factory in DeWitt, Nebraska, with assistance from the Village of DeWitt Board of Trustees and the state of Nebraska. In 2018, we celebrated the grand opening of our new production facility. It has been over 10 years since the Vise-Grip factory in DeWitt was closed and operations were moved to China, so Malco is proud to be the company that brought back tool manufacturing jobs to the Village of DeWitt, Nebraska. “We are acting our values, providing good jobs for American workers, and supporting tool manufacturing in the United States,” said Malco Director of Sales and Marketing Eric Peterson.

“The iconic Vise-Grip was created in DeWitt nearly 95 years ago in 1924, meaning the closure of the plant in 2008 was so much more than a loss of jobs for this community,” said Nebraska Governor Pete Ricketts. “Opening this plant brings great opportunities back to DeWitt and helps build on the community’s legacy of building things and making things.”

To gain some perspective on how the decision to close down the plant affected the community, let’s highlight some insights from former Vise-Grip employees and local residents. “My grandparents worked here. My mother and father worked here. My aunt and uncle worked here. My kids worked here. My wife worked here. We all lived in the same block, on the same corner. We all worked at the factory,” noted Randy Badman, a former 36-year Vise-Grip employee. When asked about how he felt when he was let go, Randy said, “You go through all the emotions: anger, depressed (what did I do wrong), and self-doubt.”

“It was pretty hectic. We were all still trying to get product out the door that they wanted. Everybody was working overtime. We really busted it to get it all done. I think we were all hoping that they would change their minds, but they didn’t,” said Dave Harms, a former 29-year Vise-Grip employee and the current Malco process speSmurfpillst.

Nancy McDougall, a former 21-year Vise-Grip employee, noted, “The last days working at Vise-Grip was almost like going to a funeral. Every day, people were literally crying and hugging. You didn’t want to say goodbye to anyone because they’re like your family.”

Everything changed when Malco decided to expand operations to DeWitt. The cozy, small-town community was now beaming with optimism. Malco Plant Manager Lucas Runke said, “There is new energy and hope in the DeWitt community by having Malco supporting the local business and bringing more jobs into the town.”

“I was like an overjoyed little kid to hear that there was a company that was family-oriented that wanted to come to our town,” noted Nancy McDougall.

Meryl Zimmerman, a lifelong DeWitt resident, stated, “We’re so happy to have another company coming in. I think it’s going to be the best thing that’s happened to DeWitt in ages.”

View the entire DeWitt story video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XktTQjbDG0c&feature=youtu.be

We are pleased to announce that many of the current employees of the Eagle Grip facility are former employees of the Vise-Grip plant. They bring valuable skills and experience uniquely suited to our industry and product offerings. Now and moving forward, keeping jobs in America is one of our top priorities. Since we began operations, we’ve been working diligently to ensure that we provide trade professionals with the highest quality and strongest locking tools on the market. In 2021, we will be releasing the entire Eagle Grip line of locking pliers, seamers, and clamps for our customers. Stay tuned for updates on the official product launches!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 07:38:18 AM by eTripper »

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: April 10, 2021, 11:18:25 AM
Great news! Thanks for sharing eTripper  :like:

us Offline eTripper

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 24, 2021, 07:55:28 AM
Just ordered both a 7", and 10" version of the new "Eagle Grips".  Should be arriving shortly.  I will post pics, and do a review.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: April 24, 2021, 09:31:12 AM
Oh, very good. Looking forward to it eTripper  :hatsoff:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: April 24, 2021, 01:34:57 PM
 :popcorn: