Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vise Grips are Back! 815

No Life Club Posts: 3,149
Vise Grips are Back!
« on: March 11, 2019, 07:45:09 PM »
Seems Malco has bought and reopened the old Petersen factory in Dewitt, Nebraska. Not only that, they are making a new line of locking pliers  there called Eagle Grips. Too bad they can't buy all the Vise Grip trademarks from Irwin, and start selling them as Petersen Vise Grips again.

When they come out, I'm buying one of Malco's fencing pliers, and quite a few of these new Eagle Grips. All the while throwing out everything Chinese Irwin; they're junk anyway and I rarely use them. The pairs I have (6LN and 5WR) feel worse than something from Harbor Freight.

Good news not only for DeWitt, but also staunch supporters of USA made like myself.

To be announced in May at the National Hardware Show:

https://www.malcoproducts.com/news/malco-products-sbc-officially-begins-production-of-new-tool-at-former-vise-grip-factory-in-dewitt-nebraska/
No Life Club Posts: 3,379
Re: Vise Grips are Back!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 07:52:25 PM »
Nice...  :like:

Tools made by the people that actually own the company:

“As an employee-owned Specific Benefit Corporation, a legal designation that indicates that a specific social benefit — employee ownership, keeping jobs local and strengthening communities — is the primary driver of its business decisions.”
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,684
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 09:39:56 PM »
Thanks for posting this!  I'm going to pick up a pair too!

Barry
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 11:07:00 PM »
Seems a local news station in the Dewitt area has posted what some of them look like. Nine out of the ten models are shown. Seems to focus a bit much on welding clamps and metalworking "hand seamers"  in my opinion. Sure hope the tenth one is something similar to a 6LN being as I have two Petersen pair that are used so much, they are often part of my EDC. For sure, I'll be getting the curved jaw models, since I use the 9R (VERY early model, without the release lever) a lot. 

http://kticradio.com/regional-news/audio-videolocking-pliers-to-be-produced-once-again-in-dewitt/

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:08:52 PM by cody6268 »
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 55,797
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »
Great news :woohoo: I have some of the old Vise-Grips and it will be nice to get some more that are hopefully on par with them :like:
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 09:38:37 PM »
 :iagree: Poncho.  After having a lower quality piece of junk fall apart on me while doing a job, I'm all over this!

Barry
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,816 Born to multitask.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 12:21:06 PM »
Maybe they can collaborate with a multi-tool manufacturer? ::)
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 12:25:42 PM »
Maybe they can collaborate with a multi-tool manufacturer? ::)

They say a lot of the original equipment still existed in the factory--maybe the toolings to the Schrade/Vise Grip Toolbox/Tough Grip frames still exists?   
Thread Killer 2017 Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,816 Born to multitask.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 12:37:57 PM »
They say a lot of the original equipment still existed in the factory--maybe the toolings to the Schrade/Vise Grip Toolbox/Tough Grip frames still exists?

:ahhh
 :popcorn:
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 03:18:32 PM »
I agree!! :woohoo:

Barry
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 12:19:16 AM »
That would be awesome to see that MT reentered into the MT world :o :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :drool: :like:
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 01:20:55 AM »
But if they did find the tooling to the actual Vise Grip portion, what about the internal tools? Schrade actually made that part, so someone else would probably have to make them for Malco. I know Bear and Sons makes the sheaths and blades for some of the Loggerhead tools.  And if still current, I'm sure Irwin and Taylor Brands still has any applicable patents.
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 03:32:55 AM »
This is true and since parents last 20 years there would likely still be a few (even a couple) years left on the patents  :-\ so the likely good of that tool coming back in the near future is slim :'(
No Life Club Posts: 2,834
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 02:19:21 PM »
Awesome! Yeah America!! :multi:

You have been warned. Unleash Spartans!
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,674
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 10:08:07 AM »
This is kinda cool guys  :like:

Formerly known as MTMatt
No Life Club Posts: 1,629
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 06:50:48 PM »
I've had some of these in the past and they are very useful. Blast that they are all made in China now. Glad that the folks of DeWitt will be working on the Eagle Grips and I will be watching for them to pick some up, while simultaneously scouring Craigslist for any older, US made Irwins

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
September Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: $180.00
PayPal Fees: $9.62
Net Balance: $170.38
Below Goal: $129.62
Site Currency: USD
57%