Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Interesting Solstice.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Interesting Solstice.
on: April 25, 2019, 02:53:59 PM
Here's a different take on the old Solstice; pliers!  I just got given this by AimlessWanderer so if you want to know any more about it then you're going to have to ask him. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Interesting Solstice.
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 03:43:58 PM
I think Gerber had the Solstice and Eclipse with scissors made, and the company that made them also made plier versions of them, but Gerber did not pick them up. So they are genuine and of the same quality as the scissor ones, although not actually sold by Gerber.

Nice little tools. I have the Eclipse with scissors. Kinda obsolete now, but they're definitely interesting. :cheers:

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 03:45:55 PM
I owned the scissor and as well as I can remember it was a neat little gadget.
SAW

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 04:00:10 PM
I think Gerber had the Solstice and Eclipse with scissors made, and the company that made them also made plier versions of them, but Gerber did not pick them up. So they are genuine and of the same quality as the scissor ones, although not actually sold by Gerber.

Nice little tools. I have the Eclipse with scissors. Kinda obsolete now, but they're definitely interesting. :cheers:

That's kind of my understanding as well. I've not seen the pliers version very often, and this came from one of the Chinese sites a few years ago. I like it better than the scissors version, which seemed a lot more prone to jumping out of my hand. I found this plier version to be a lot more controllable. They were surplus to requirements here though, and I knew Gareth was looking for one of the mini pliers tools like the IDL/Sebertech type, so I sent it up North. This adds the two opener wings on top of the IDL tools, which bulks it up a bit, but adds function, and of course adds the return spring too.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 08:02:19 PM

Ah, that rings a bell! :cheers:  I'd forgotten about the Eclipse as well if I'm honest.  :-[
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 11:32:26 PM
Nice find, Gareth! :like:
That is quite rare. Even the scissor version is hard to find now. :o
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 10:29:24 PM
Has this had any pocket time yet, Gareth? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD