Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's build a Minimalist EDC!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Let's build a Minimalist EDC!
Reply #120 on: April 17, 2019, 06:59:25 PM
I am afraid that is not going to happen anytime soon. There is too much money in big data, and a smartphone is a huge data provider. All companies and startups that have tried to offer privacy and security-centered devices have failed. Which is no surprise, because the majority of people doesn't give a smurf about that. Just look at Facebook where everybody tells the world where they go, when they go, what they do and so on  :facepalm:

Agreed!

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #121 on: April 18, 2019, 03:22:07 AM
I agree with the phone. Just the question if there is something like a minimal phone. At least for me it would still be a smart phone, i just use internet features too often.
I would not consider the phone i have a minimal one at all...it is a damn brick that you cannot even carry in your pockets. Did not think about that though when i bought it  :facepalm:

iPhone 8 (NOT Plus) should fit the bill.

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #122 on: April 18, 2019, 05:25:06 AM
iPhone 8 (NOT Plus) should fit the bill.

No Apple for me. Just too restrictive in what i can do. Not a big fan of Android either, but at least i can do more adjustments and tweaks. It's really a shame that the phone OS market ends with basically 2 options  :facepalm:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #123 on: April 18, 2019, 10:03:32 AM
I suspect there is just too many very, very similar smartphones out there to narrow it down to just one.  Frankly if we got people to agree on Android or Apple I would be utterly amazed! :D

What have we decided on so far?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #124 on: April 18, 2019, 02:46:09 PM
I'm using a Nokia C2-01, great little phone, costs about $25 on aliexpress and does everything I want and nothing I don't. Spare batteries are tiny and cost very little, the thing is bomb proof and I have internet disabled by the provider. Not because I'm unaware of big brother, if I was I wouldn't be typing this now, simply because I don't want to be connected when I'm away from the computer. I do miss out on a bunch of stuff I would like (Google Maps above all) but nothing I care enough about to (re)join the smartphone world. I've had a look at the 'dumb' phone options available on the market today and nothing comes close to those older Nokia's. Including new Nokia which is a travesty of their past (I bought their new 8110 'banana' phone, played with it for ten minutes and then, well, anyone want it as a freebie? I'm almost embarrassed to offer it)
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #125 on: April 18, 2019, 02:58:42 PM
Its hard to imagine big brother not all up our business  :dunno:.  As far as which phone?  Phone.  Most of us have them and carry them daily.  Which is not terribly important IMO.  I'm no fan boy of apple its just the phone I have.  I'd love a phone that is a lot simpler and less big brother friendly.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD