Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's build a Minimalist EDC!

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Let's build a Minimalist EDC!
on: March 13, 2019, 02:03:25 AM
Hi all,

I love building, upgrading and working on my EDC and it is constantly in evolution. This morning I had the idea to start a thread were we would build the "perfect" Minimalist EDC together.  I know that everyone has their own unique items,
and that not one EDC is the same because everyone has different needs. But I would like to develop a baseline that the majority of the people could agree on. I would split it in the baseline part and a personal additions part for everything that is specific for your needs.
The goal is to make it as minimalist as possible, without sacrificing too much utility, for an urban environment.

For example: A multitool with metal file and wood saw is great, but this is not something most people use every day. If you use these items at work they would be part of the personal additions.
I also don't think we need a survival kit. If I go some place I mostly take the car, and I have one in there. So i would only have to reach my car.

Let's start by making a list of the items that should be part of such an EDC before we decide which product gets the spot.

For me the absolute minimum is this:

- Multitool (of course  :multi:)
- Pen
- Wallet
- Flashlight

I also carry the following that are essential for me, but I would like to hear your thoughts on them. Should they be part of a minimal carry?

- Handkerchief (Personally i use it all the time)
- Lip Balm (also used all the time because of the dry air around here)
- First Aid Kit
- Notepad
- Buff/Bandana

I am looking forward to hear your thoughts on this!

:hatsoff:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Let's build a Minimalist EDC!
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 03:15:16 AM
Mine depends entirely on the day/event.

If I'm leaving the house, then I'll have my keys, and the default setting on there is a Gerber Dime, Nitecore Tube, and Utilikey. (pic 1)

Today, I stayed at home and aside from a traditional slippie in my pocket, I had a tool lanyard round my neck. That gives me a light, pen, tweezers, magnifier, whistle, and alox Rambler (pic 2)

Sometimes I'll go for a small pocket carried combo instead, and slim my keys down accordingly. (pic 3)

Everything else is variable too, with the only real exception being my phone - I only have one of those. Pen, notepad and wallet are optional. Handkerchief depends on the weather, health, and what nicotine delivery system I'm going to be using (pic 4). If it's the snuffbox, then a hanky is mandatory. If it's the pipe or rollies, then I need a baccy pouch, lighter, and pipe tool maybe. A spare battery or vape juice bottle will be needed if i'm going electronic. If I'm liable to be eating or having a drink while I'm out, then a second clean hanky as moustache towel is required.

Hat/buff and watch will vary, sunglasses or regular specs depends on the weather and how long I'll be out. Gloves are a possible addition too. What kind of pen, if any? Fountain, gel, or pressurised? Will I need a notepad, or will I be liable to be writing on something I'm given when I'm there?

A folding hairbrush is a frequent carry item for me, but folks with shorter hair might prefer a comb. Meds won't be needed unless I'm stopping out, in which case there'll be a toothbrush and travel razor in a pocket too.

There's a couple of other items I need that most folks won't. A walking stick to keep me upright, and let people know I'm not a drunk or smackhead if I start to stagger, and an eye patch in case my brainstem decides my eyes don't need to both point in the same direction, or scramble the signals from one of them. Also, as I have long hair, an elastic band to tying it back is needed, particularly if it's windy. Being flailed alive by your own hair, or trying to see where you're going while looking like Cousin It on a bad hair day, is no fun.

Five years ago, I'd have needed two phones, house keys, parent's keys, car keys, boatyard keys, boat keys, and work keys - at all times! Boat and boatyard keys both needed floatation devices, and car keys needed a Res-Q-Me. I'd need a light that could throw 100m instead of 10m, and a back up light too. I'd also need a full size multitool in case I was called out to work or the boatyard for an emergency.

Some days I need a bag or plenty of pockets, on others just my house keys and a little cash.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 03:43:26 AM by AimlessWanderer »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 04:41:40 AM
For me, I think the minimum would be:
- SAK
- wallet
- keys (including flashlight)
- phone
- lighter
- bandanna

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 04:50:54 AM
@ AimlessWanderer

Thanks for your post, some good information here. You change your carry depending on your needs, but your baseline seems go be Multitool of some sort, light and pen. Looks like you always got on of those on you.
If you would have to pick one multitool, and one only, which one would you pick?

@ Nate J

Your baseline looks similar than mine, besides the lighter. Do you prefer any SAK or do you switch depending on mood?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 05:40:14 AM
I switch a bit depending on what I will be doing, but for the last few years, anyway, it's pretty much been:

Hiking/Camping - Huntsman

Work - Mountaineer

Everything Else - Climber

I sometimes carry other knives and or MTs in addition, but I guess since

Huntsman = Climber + Wood Saw

Mountaineer = Climber + Metal Saw/File

it could be said that the basic Climber tool set is my minimum.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 05:42:19 AM
These are some of my favorite things to discuss.  There are so many options with so many individual needs/wants.

Base line huh?  :think: 

Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 06:00:50 AM
If you would have to pick one multitool, and one only, which one would you pick?

I wouldn't. It would almost always be a combo of some description, as per the examples above. Even the combo that's just a copper light and TiNi pliers is incomplete, I just haven't built the mating knife with scissors yet.

The only tools I carry "solo" are Gerber Balance or Cybertool 34 / 41. I am planning doing a Swiss knife mod later in the year, which would give me a lighter or more minimalist "solo" option though. My essential tools are knife, scissors and pliers, and always try to incorporate a Phillips, awl and flat driver in there somehow too. A Juice CS4 would be absolutely perfect if they built them properly, but sorely lacking in their current form

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 07:17:39 AM
My essential tools are knife, scissors and pliers, and always try to incorporate a Phillips, awl and flat driver in there somehow too.

Deluxe Tinker?

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 09:40:32 AM
Deluxe Tinker?

My thought too, but he might not consider the pliers on these SAKs real pliers. They are more like enlarged tweezers, and a lot of people use them like that. Would be interested in your thoughts about that SAK though Aimless Wanderer.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 09:45:33 AM
These are some of my favorite things to discuss.  There are so many options with so many individual needs/wants.

Base line huh?  :think: 

I like that as well. I know that there is not the perfect answer, but with this thread i try to boil it down to a few options that most people would be happy with. With a size factor that is as small as possible.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 01:43:55 PM
I believe the minimum for me for my days off would be SAK ( 84mm Salesman & 58mm Manager ), light, Squirt P4, PW2.  I've discussed my thoughts in a thread I did a while ago.  I will carry personal first aid ( boo boo ) kit but only when I am leaving the house for an extended period.  A quick jaunt to the grocery store or to a home improvement store and it'll stay home.  Like many I have a pretty well stocked kit in my vehicle.   

I carry the Salesman and Squirt in a pocket sheath.  The Manager and AAA Light are on my house keychain and have been there for a while.  The Pocket Wrench 2 I've been trying a few carry options.     
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 02:32:50 PM
Deluxe Tinker?
My thought too, but he might not consider the pliers on these SAKs real pliers. They are more like enlarged tweezers, and a lot of people use them like that. Would be interested in your thoughts about that SAK though Aimless Wanderer.

Funny you should both mention that! :D

One of my earliest posts on the forum was a head to head comparison between the Juice CS4 and Deluxe Tinker, the second Swiss knife I ever owned. The Victorinox won.

After that, I moved away from the Vic pliers, as I needed something more substantial, and moved away from the backspring Phillips in favour of the corkscrew too. The Deluxe Tinker got traded away. Now I'm no longer in marine or heavy engineering environments, I'm somewhat looping back to where I started.

The minimalist mod I mentioned, will be a DofE with pliers, a Deluxe Tinker Slim of sorts, but with the full plus scale tool compliment of pin and pen.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 04:21:57 PM
Ok, so for the multitool part we have the following listed so far: Vic Climber, Squirt P4, Juice CS4 and Vic Deluxe Tinker.

We mentioned some more, but remember we are trying to build a minimalist EDC, so only one mt is allowed  :D

Let‘s see who comes up with other ideas  :popcorn:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 04:48:44 PM
We mentioned some more, but remember we are trying to build a minimalist EDC, so only one mt is allowed  :D

So does minimalist specifically mean quantity to you? Personally, I'd consider a Squirt P4 and Classic, or Style PS and Micra, more minimalist that a Deluxe Tinker, even though it's two tools instead of one.

As to pocket pens, my default choices are OHTO Tasche, Fisher Stowaway, and Tombow Airpress. A regular Parker ballpoint and Zebra F-301 included for size comparison.

For notepads, I'm currently using a Rhodia 7.5x12 for grocery shopping lists, and a Rhodia No. 10 or pocket diary if I want pad and pen when not shopping.
IMG_20190313_153905_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190313_153905_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 81.01 KB)
IMG_20190313_153929_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190313_153929_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 77.04 KB)
IMG_20190313_154646_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190313_154646_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 62.69 KB)

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 06:02:35 PM
Minimalist for me means I get maximum utility out of an item that is as small as possible without sacrificing too much manageability. For example: I found an EDC pen that you can put on your key chain. It is about half the size of a regular pen. I would still not consider it because a) you cannot use regular refills and b) it is a pain to hold and write with it.

I listed those tools above because i think they are a good compromise between size, utility and manageability.

When it comes to a minimal EDC as a "package", i would consider minimal as maximum utility out of a minimal number of items. For example: I could carry a buff and use it as a handkerchief too. That way i can eliminate the handkerchief. Now for me personally i use the handkerchief too often on nose duty, so it makes sense to carry it. I would still put in the personal addition section and not in the baseline.

I like the first two pens you posted  :like:, they look really slim but still usable. I would like to have a pen that can also double as a glass breaker and for certain self-defense techniques. Unfortunately i never had the chance to test such pens on a real car window, so it would be interesting so see how they would perform. I wonder if a Ti pen with a tungsten carbide tip would fit that description  :think:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 06:57:29 PM
Baseline that I could get away with or baseline what do I want on me? I've been working on streamlining my EDC for years now but I'm in no way trying to say that I couldn't get by with less. I'll show an example.

Here is today's EDC straight out of my pockets. My current 'want on me' baseline.

What can I get away with? To be honest, this. I could even lose the mini flashlight if my phone had one.

But, I use all of my EDC on a daily basis. Often right through the day. I can live without some of it but I would be inconvenienced as a result.

Truth be told my on body EDC is what I have concluded is the perfect compromise between utility and convenience for my personal daily uses. I've had the same EDC for a good long while now and it's unlikely to change.

Don't get me started on my bag contents. :D To be honest the majority is again stuff I use or want with me at all times and it's already very streamlined. I keep the SHTF/GHB/BoB/Fantasy Armageddon stuff in a bag in the car. :D I could get by without most of the stuff in my EDC bag by making sure I kept stuff at work, kept more in the car, etc. I'm perfectly happy to go out without it, my pocket EDC is sufficient. I've been playing with the idea of a major cull of the bag contents (again!) for a while in fact.  :D

One thing I will say. If I didn't loathe the things due to how they are used by the masses, a smartphone is one of the best EDC items you can buy to reduce bulk in carry. In my case it could replace my phone, flashlight, timepiece, GPS watch (bag), E-Book reader (bag) and camera (bag). That's a whole lot of carry reduced to a tiny size.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 09:57:01 PM by pomsbz »
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 07:40:22 PM
For example: I found an EDC pen that you can put on your key chain. It is about half the size of a regular pen. I would still not consider it because a) you cannot use regular refills and b) it is a pain to hold and write with it.<snip>
I like the first two pens you posted  :like:, they look really slim but still usable.

As well as the pens I showed before, another of my favourites is the sadly discontinued Inka pen, from before they added the clip. This is even smaller than the Stowaway and Tasche, but can be used as either a pull out pen for a quick note, or disassembled and rebuilt as a full pen. It might still be possible to track one down somewhere.

The True Utility Telepen I carry on the neck lanyard in the earlier pics, has also been reconfigured with a clip now. The one I have becomes a usable length pen, just by pulling it from its holder. I'm not sure if the newer version works the same way

The Zebra Xpandz is another excellent pocket pen, but sadly mine has been lost. I must get another at some point.
IMG_20190313_181934_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190313_181934_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 58.09 KB)
IMG_20190313_182040_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190313_182040_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 75.67 KB)
IMG_20190313_182251_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190313_182251_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 82.22 KB)
IMG_20190313_182310_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190313_182310_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 74.97 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 07:47:01 PM
So does minimalist specifically mean quantity to you? Personally, I'd consider a Squirt P4 and Classic, or Style PS and Micra, more minimalist that a Deluxe Tinker, even though it's two tools instead of one.

IMO, it's a bit of a sliding scale.  Obviously, fewer items are easier to keep track of than more items.  But at some point, if two items instead of one saves a significant amount of weight and or bulk, then it should be considered.  For example, (tool sets aside) I would probably consider the extra weight of the Deluxe Tinker a worthwhile trade off over the P4 and Classic, just to have one less item to worry about.  Now, if it becomes a question (again, tool sets aside) of P4 and Classic vs. Swisstool, then the nod goes to the P4 and Classic.

us Offline getahl

Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 01:47:05 AM
My normal EDC is pretty basic. It consists of my phone, keys and wallet, a bandana that comes in surprisingly useful, Classic and E01 flashlight on my keys, and a comb in my back pocket if it has been a couple weeks since I last buzzed my head. If too short, I leave it in my sock drawer. If at work, I'll stick a pen in my pocket, at present a chrome affair from Cross, and a small field notes book.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 02:35:41 AM
I've been trimming down my EDC for a few years now.  Full sized and loaded out MTs are great and all, but since I stopped working in building maintenance I don't feel the need to have one on me all the time.

So for me my minimum has been;

Scissors
Small pliers
Blade (~3")
Torch (flashlight)

Handkerchief, pen, notebook etc. are all useful but I don't feel naked if I leave the house without them.

Some examples show below.
20190116_082810.jpg
* 20190116_082810.jpg (Filesize: 112.08 KB)
20190307_104829.jpg
* 20190307_104829.jpg (Filesize: 87.68 KB)
53531812_1037910696405987_5572596616315011072_n.jpg
* 53531812_1037910696405987_5572596616315011072_n.jpg (Filesize: 79.49 KB)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:42:51 AM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 02:37:35 AM
Scissors
Small pliers
Blade (~3")

So are you carrying a SAK or MT with these features?

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 03:39:43 AM
Sorry guys for the late reply, we were in a Blizzard today and the power is just back on. Thanks to all the hardworking service technicians that have been out all day in up to 85mph wind gusts. If you guys read that or one of our forum members here works in that field, a big thank you from my side!  :hatsoff:

@pomsbz

Baseline that you could get away with. The additional items in your first pick would be in the personal condition category.
Your EDC looks pretty streamlined already, i like it!

@Aimless Wanderer

Nice pens indeed, might have to track one down!

@Nate J

That is a good example, and exactly what i was going for  :tu:

@ getahl

Sounds like a good ssytem. Pics please  :D

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 03:45:37 AM
I've been trimming down my EDC for a few years now.  Full sized and loaded out MTs are great and all, but since I stopped working in building maintenance I don't feel the need to have one on me all the time.

So for me my minimum has been;

Scissors
Small pliers
Blade (~3")
Torch (flashlight)

Handkerchief, pen, notebook etc. are all useful but I don't feel naked if I leave the house without them.

Some examples show below.

I like your edc tools, but there seems to be some redundancy that could be streamlined unless that was done on purpose.
That is no criticism i just try to enforce the idea of this topic.  :D

Would there be one multitool for you that could be used instead of the 3 in the first photo without sacrificing utility?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 09:33:51 AM
I like your edc tools, but there seems to be some redundancy that could be streamlined unless that was done on purpose.
That is no criticism i just try to enforce the idea of this topic.  :D

Would there be one multitool for you that could be used instead of the 3 in the first photo without sacrificing utility?

Certainly too many blades for my taste.  :D  The thing about carrying two or three smaller tools is that I think they feel more pocket friendly than one full sized MT.  However if I want larger pliers then I tend towards old LM designs like the Sideclip and PST and then add a 58mm SAK to my keys.  My old favourite LM Pulse basically does all I want and manages it in a very neat package.
20190212_130124.jpg
* 20190212_130124.jpg (Filesize: 217.16 KB)
20180924_123712.jpg
* 20180924_123712.jpg (Filesize: 74.23 KB)

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 02:49:21 PM
That sounds good! So the pulse or the pst plus small sak it is  :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 03:22:14 PM
Unfortunately having a few blades seems to come with the territory. 

I like my Manger because it sits on my keychain till needed.  The pen, tweezers, small phillips, and scissors are what I use most.  The file is great and I have used it so I'd miss it if it weren't there.  I can do without the blade on this tool.

Squirt P4 is my plier tool.  I do have a Deluxe Tinker but the pliers don't stack up to the Squirt IMO.  The "wire" cutters have come in handy more that a few times.  The very fine tip flat driver is used on my glasses and others.  Who doesn't love an awl?  Mine isn't used that much but I wont use a blade tip so having an awl makes a lot of sense.  The blade is useful.  I see my Squirt as a "dirty tool" to be used for whatever whenever.  The file isn't super aggressive but I will take down a metal burr.  I've used it to radius a wood edge as well as round a plastic sharp corner.  The other drivers while short make easy work of both phillips and flat screws.

Pocket Wrench 2.  It has limitations but that being said, I do like a pry tool.  Seems every time I've tried to stop carrying one I need one.  I tend to make a decision to carry or not carry something if there are enough times I can recall  would have really liked ( such and such ) on me. 

AAA Light.  I like a light with modes and disco modes too.  My go to light is a Fenix LD02.  Its been hanging off my keychain now for a while with my manager.  I do tend to carry 2 lights tho.

84mm Salesman.  Whats a SAK without scissors?  This SAK is so far my perfect simple carry tool.  I like the clip point small blade as opposed to another spear point.  The can opener is the only opener I use in my kitchen.  The larger blade is perfect size for most every thing is need pocket knife for.  I could get away with no ball tools but the larger phillips and awl are fine. 

I am blade heavy which just seems to happen.  I used to be very sensitive to all that redundancy but no more.  Each blade has a purpose and I am not too keen on a one blade life.  The Squirt is my dirty do all blade.  My Manager is rarely used.  My Salesman is my clean blade and while there is that small clip point, I dont use enough to worry about it.  Its there and not bothering me.     

IMG_6855.jpg
* IMG_6855.jpg (Filesize: 189.37 KB)
IMG_6856.jpg
* IMG_6856.jpg (Filesize: 158.48 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 04:09:40 PM
 :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 04:15:57 PM
 :hatsoff:.  I didn't show my Fenix instead showed my Ti Thrunite.  Its the Christmas Edition which I now I realize I should have picked up a few.  The head is a little loose which is why I don't carry it on my keychain.  I like to keep this light in my coin pocket.  2 lights might be over kill  :dunno:
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 07:20:42 PM
:hatsoff:.  I didn't show my Fenix instead showed my Ti Thrunite.  Its the Christmas Edition which I now I realize I should have picked up a few.  The head is a little loose which is why I don't carry it on my keychain.  I like to keep this light in my coin pocket.  2 lights might be over kill  :dunno:.

Happens that I picked up my Ti3 for the fist time in ages this morning.  Cracking compact light.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #29 on: March 16, 2019, 12:41:50 AM
Ok i would like to make a decision on the multitool at this point. Here is the list of the tools multiple people mentioned. I looked up their specific loadout, since i do not own all of them, if i missed something please let me know!

First category medium tools (9-10cm closed):

Leatherman Pulse (10cm)
   Blade
   Ruler
   Bottle Opener
   Can Opener
   Diamond-coated File
   Extra-small Screwdriver
   Hard-wire Cutters
   Large Screwdriver
   Medium Screwdriver
   Needlenose Pliers
   Phillips Screwdriver
   Regular Pliers
   Spring-action Scissors
   Wire Cutters
   Wood/Metal File

Leatherman PST (10cm)
   Blade
   Ruler (8 in | 19 cm)
   Awl
   Bottle Opener
   Can Opener
   Hard-wire Cutters
   Large Screwdriver
   Medium Screwdriver
   Needlenose Pliers
   Phillips Screwdriver
   Regular Pliers
   Small Screwdriver
   Wire Cutters
   Wood/Metal File

Climber (9cm)
   large blade
       small blade
       can opener
       screwdriver 3 mm
       bottle opener
       screwdriver 6 mm
       wire stripper
       reamer, punch and sewing awl
       corkscrew
       scissors
       multipurpose hook
       toothpick
       tweezers

Deluxe Tinker (9cm)
   large blade
       small blade
       can opener
       screwdriver 3 mm
       bottle opener
       screwdriver 6 mm
       wire stripper
       reamer, punch and sewing awl
       Phillips screwdriver 1/2
       scissors
       pliers
       wire cutter
       wire crimping tool

Which one of these tools would you pick? And remember, we need only one of these tools!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%