Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's build a Minimalist EDC!

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Let's build a Minimalist EDC!
Reply #30 on: March 16, 2019, 12:43:47 AM
Second Category is smaller tools (5-8cm)

Squirt P4 (5.75cm)
   Spring-action Needlenose Pliers
   Spring-action Regular Pliers
   Spring-action Wire Cutters
   Blade
   Spring-action Scissors
   Flat/Phillips Screwdriver
   Bottle Opener
   Wood/Metal File
   Medium Screwdriver

Manager (5.8cm)
   toothpick
       tweezers
       pressurized ballpoint pen
       small blade
       bottle opener
       Phillips screwdriver 0/1, magnetic
       wire stripper
       nail file
       screwdriver 2.5 mm
       scissors
       multipurpose hook
       toothpick
       tweezers

Juice CS4 (8.3cm)

Blade
      Awl
      Saw blade
      Scissors
      Corkscrew
      Medium flathead screwdriver
      Small flathead screwdriver
      Eyeglass screwdriver
      Phillips screwdriver

The CS4 is larger than the other ones, but it still seemed fair to put it in this category. Please choose one, and only one!  :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: March 16, 2019, 01:22:03 AM
And.............. this is where  :ahhh ..............  its so hard to decide. 

Thinking out loud, I have all the tool mentioned.  I carry my Deluxe Tinker for work.  I have carried and have my Juice CS4 and while the flat drivers are a pain ( literally ) its a good tool.  The Squirt I like is a P4 the one you listed with scissors is a PS4, I have both and carry both.  My PST is in my camp cook kit because its slim and is a great tool.  My Manger is always on my keychain. 

:ahhh man this is hard.  Ok, from the first group I pick Pulse and from the second group Manager. 

I think thats a lot of bases covered  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #32 on: March 16, 2019, 01:29:09 AM
If I can have one from BOTH categories to carry at the same time, it would be Climber and Squirt P4. If I can only carry one, it would be the Deluxe Tinker.

Both these choices are based on non-specific urban carry. In different circumstances, I might change my mind.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: March 16, 2019, 05:08:40 AM
Climber and Squirt P4
:iagree:

I've carried this very combo on occasion, though I'm not sure I get enough regular use out of the P4 to justify carrying it in addition to the Climber.

FWIW, I prefer the retired P4 to the current PS4.  The small flat driver on the P4 is great; giving it up (along with the awl) for a "meh" pair of scissors on the PS4 is not a good trade-off IMO.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 05:20:19 AM by nate j »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: March 16, 2019, 01:20:48 PM

I've carried this very combo on occasion, though I'm not sure I get enough regular use out of the P4 to justify carrying it in addition to the Climber.

FWIW, I prefer the retired P4 to the current PS4. The small flat driver on the P4 is great; giving it up (along with the awl) for a "meh" pair of scissors on the PS4 is not a good trade-off IMO.

Totally agree.  If I was designing the PS4 I'd have ditched the rather "meh" file before the small screwdriver and awl.  Oh, and I'd have made the scissors better too.  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: March 16, 2019, 02:04:28 PM
Totally agree.  If I was designing the PS4 I'd have ditched the rather "meh" file before the small screwdriver and awl.  Oh, and I'd have made the scissors better too.  :D

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: March 16, 2019, 06:03:53 PM
It's obvious that you'll have to buy all of them.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: March 16, 2019, 09:14:00 PM
Of the 10cm options, and if I really could only have one, then the Pulse is the MT for me. 

Of the three smaller tools it a tougher choice.  I THINK if I could only have one I'd have to have the Manager with it's scissors, but I'm not 100% happy with that.  I actually carry a P4 and Rambler as a combo very often so picking just one feels like I'm missing out.

Oddly it just now occurs to me that my Juice SC2 fulfils all of my wants in a very neat package, and yet I don't carry it very often. 

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: March 17, 2019, 01:43:56 AM
The manager is by far my favorite multi-tool ever. The excellent pen frees up an entire slot of space in my pocket. It also has the best nail care and electronic maintenance setup of any tool I've used. The small Philips is just incredible. Basically anything on the Rambler platform is amazing, but the pen addition is just too good to give up.

Cheers,
H.G.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: March 17, 2019, 03:22:14 PM
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: March 17, 2019, 03:23:37 PM
While I very much like the P4 and PS4 I think most would lean towards a larger MT plier which is why I chose the Pulse.  I personally find my Squirt to be very capable but yes it has limits due to its size. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #41 on: March 17, 2019, 10:48:21 PM
This is my favorite minimal selection

Leatherman Style PS 1.5 oz - 44 g
Maglite Solitaire (including AAA battery) 0.8 oz - 24 g
SOG ultra c-ti 1.3 oz - 37 g

Total weight  3.7 oz - 105 g

Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: March 17, 2019, 11:55:07 PM
Just got the Anti-Wallet Holster from anti-gear. You guys have to see this thing...

Cheers,
H.G.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: March 18, 2019, 12:14:46 PM
That's very neat H.G.  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: March 18, 2019, 02:55:21 PM
There have been some very interesting wallets that have come out over that last several years.  This is a new one to me.  I'm not sure it can get any simpler than this unless you just use a rubber band :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: March 18, 2019, 05:20:45 PM
What's clever is how it slots into their wallet, which also can organise keys as well.

https://pin.it/6ibvoeycj2cvoz

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #46 on: March 19, 2019, 04:19:24 AM
Ok, looks like we got our winners for the multitool slots in our minimalist EDC:

From the larger category it is clearly the Pulse.

For the smaller category we have, i would say, two winners. One for the Victorinox Lovers and one for the Leatherman Enthusiast: The Manager and the Squirt P4

Now, let's move on to the next items. Let's talk about wallets and pens, since we started on those already. I personally do not like these extreme minimalist wallets like Happy Gilmore posted, because i carry more items in my wallet than just card sized objects. For example hand cleaner, tweezers, tooth pick and so on. But i am open to all kinds of designs, so let's bring 'em on!  :cheers:

I would also like to hear your thoughts about pens. Do you have any preferred manufacturers, material, or cartridges? Are there any pens you would like to carry, but they are so expensive that your better half would kill you if you would buy one? For example: I really would like to try a bolt action pen like this one https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/refyne/refyne-ep1-the-essential-edc-titanium-bolt-action?ref=discovery&term=Edc but i do not want to spend over $65 on a pen.

I also prefer a pen that i can use as a glass breaker/self defense tool. I never had the chance to use my Schrade Tactical Pen as a glass breaker, so i am not sure if it would work. My favorite cartridge right now is the Fischer Space Pen one. Does not smear and writes on all papers/plastics i ever tried on.

Let's hear your thoughts!  :hatsoff:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: March 19, 2019, 04:46:22 AM
For a minimalist pen, I have to say the Fisher Stowaway, which does actually take the standard Fisher cartridge. Depending on your choice of wallet, it may well fit inside.

(See reply #13 in this thread)

But...

If you've already chosen the Victorinox Manager, do you really need one? If you want a glass breaker, get a Res-Q-Me. Much better than anything on a pen.

As to wallets, I tend to stick to simple leather ones. Never gone for specific brands, just looked around shops and markets till I see something I like.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #48 on: March 19, 2019, 05:34:04 AM
Have to check out that pen  :tu:

Yes i would carry a dedicated pen even though i had the manager. There is just something nice about a real pen   :hatsoff:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: March 19, 2019, 02:32:26 PM
Ok, looks like we got our winners for the multitool slots in our minimalist EDC:

From the larger category it is clearly the Pulse.

For the smaller category we have, i would say, two winners. One for the Victorinox Lovers and one for the Leatherman Enthusiast: The Manager and the Squirt P4

Now, let's move on to the next items. Let's talk about wallets and pens, since we started on those already. I personally do not like these extreme minimalist wallets like Happy Gilmore posted, because i carry more items in my wallet than just card sized objects. For example hand cleaner, tweezers, tooth pick and so on. But i am open to all kinds of designs, so let's bring 'em on!  :cheers:

I would also like to hear your thoughts about pens. Do you have any preferred manufacturers, material, or cartridges? Are there any pens you would like to carry, but they are so expensive that your better half would kill you if you would buy one? For example: I really would like to try a bolt action pen like this one https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/refyne/refyne-ep1-the-essential-edc-titanium-bolt-action?ref=discovery&term=Edc but i do not want to spend over $65 on a pen.

I also prefer a pen that i can use as a glass breaker/self defense tool. I never had the chance to use my Schrade Tactical Pen as a glass breaker, so i am not sure if it would work. My favorite cartridge right now is the Fischer Space Pen one. Does not smear and writes on all papers/plastics i ever tried on.

Let's hear your thoughts!  :hatsoff:

If we're going with the Pulse as the large MT, then I move we select the Manager over the P4 as the small MT, since the tool set better complements the Pulse.

With regard to wallets, it may not be minimalist, but I've carried one of these for many years, and it's still going strong:  https://www.foxcreekleather.com/leather-credit-card-wallet/

Finally, while I don't consider a pen to be a required part of a truly minimalist EDC (especially if we already have the Manager), I have two that I like and sometimes carry:
- Fisher Bullet - I prefer this one:  https://www.spacepen.com/goldtitaniumnitridebulletpen.aspx
- Parker Jotter - also takes standard Fisher refills, and I prefer this one:  http://www.parkerpen.com/en-US/shop-online/jotter-stainless-steel-retractable-ballpoint-pen-with-gold-trim-medium-point-1953182--1

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: March 19, 2019, 02:39:47 PM
The pen I like is my Zebra 701.  Its a sturdy pen and is still on the Zebra .7mm cartridge.  I've carried G2s and really like how they write.  I carry a Maxpedition 3.5 note book cover for work.  I like to write notes and transfer them to my phone and later sync with my computer.  My Zebra 701 has rode in the notebook since 2012.  I have no issues or failures with that pen.  I use a cheap Wally World note book tho then pen works just was well on everything I've written on. 

Fisher pen cartridge.  I got a knock off and a real bullet pen.  My Fisher cartridge sucked.  I may have got a dud but my dud leaked and was gloppy when I wrote.  I was told to send it in but honestly I just threw it in the trash.  I replaced it with a Zebra .7mm insert and its good to go.  The knock off had some basic insert that was fine.  A simple stick ink pen insert that comes with darn near every cheap pen out.  Once it ran out I inserted a Zebra .7mm cartridge and its good to go.  I like the small form factor of the Bullets BUT I carry my Manager so I really never worry if I remember to carry a pen.  The Manager writes and when I need a pen its serves me well enough. 

I also use Zebra 301 and Pilot Precise V7 for note pads I use around the house i.e. grocery lists, to do's, random things .  Lastly, I like plus scales on my SAKs.  Having a pen on my SAK means I am rarely without something to write with.  No its not the best writing or perfect pen tho it good and I would prefer to have a pen than not have one.  Its super easy to carry and super convenient if you carry a SAK.         
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: March 19, 2019, 03:03:34 PM
Wallets.  I carried a simple leather wallet for years ( 10 plus ).  I cannot recall when or where I got it or how much I paid for it.  I got a new wallet one year so I switched out my things from the old one to the new one.  I carried the new wallet for years ( 10 plus ) till I wanted to try a thinner wallet.  I don't know where the old wallet is but I still have the new one.   I got a Wenger wallet used so I tried it for a bit.  Its good but I dislike is the plastic id window thing.  They seem to be the weakest link.  I don't need it since you'll always have to remove your id anyway.  The Wenger wallet is ok but IMO both the old and new wallet are better.   

All the wallets I mentioned are bifold.  All are leather.  I don't carry many cards, actually I carry 2 debit cards.  I carry cash up to about 20 bills.  Rarely large bills but I like to pay in cash when I can.  I carry a few photos of my kids.  I carry my id and insurance card.  I don't like the metal wallets nor the newer really neat options now a days.  I like leather.  I love the look of a well worn wallet.  I also carry my wallet in my front pocket every since I've carried a wallet. 

I am currently trying out a Tumi Key wallet.  I've taken out the key thingies and attached the carabiner to a chain which I suspend from my belt.  Over the years I realized I like my wallet tethered to me.  Not so much for theft prevention moreso for absent mindedness on my part.  I keep the chain short so it doesn't dangle like the trucker/biker wallets.  So far its "ok".       
Esse Quam Videri

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #52 on: March 19, 2019, 04:11:55 PM
If we're going with the Pulse as the large MT, then I move we select the Manager over the P4 as the small MT, since the tool set better complements the Pulse.

With regard to wallets, it may not be minimalist, but I've carried one of these for many years, and it's still going strong:  https://www.foxcreekleather.com/leather-credit-card-wallet/

Finally, while I don't consider a pen to be a required part of a truly minimalist EDC (especially if we already have the Manager), I have two that I like and sometimes carry:
- Fisher Bullet - I prefer this one:  https://www.spacepen.com/goldtitaniumnitridebulletpen.aspx
- Parker Jotter - also takes standard Fisher refills, and I prefer this one:  http://www.parkerpen.com/en-US/shop-online/jotter-stainless-steel-retractable-ballpoint-pen-with-gold-trim-medium-point-1953182--1

I agree that an additional pen might not be needed while carrying the manager, but if someone wanted to carry the pulse only, then they would have need for an additional pen. In the end we might come up with a true minimalist EDC, without the extra pen and the manager only, and then a bit more extended minimalist EDC with some personal preferences. Will see where this goes  :tu:

Some nice pens there  :like:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #53 on: March 19, 2019, 04:13:17 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Aloha!

I have heard lot of good things about the Zebra pens whenever i looked into EDC, so i might have to try one myself  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: March 19, 2019, 04:48:48 PM
 :salute:  They might not get the attention from the "nicer" pens out there but in the years I've had mine they've been flawless.   The 701 IMO also looks great. 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: March 19, 2019, 11:17:15 PM
The biggest issue I have with most small pens is they tend to be two pieces, I would love if they made a fisher pen about the same size as it collapsed with a push button. I

I just love the Manager, especially when i learned how to hold it properly (with the file extended).

Because I have been so satisfied with that tool I base my other tool choices around it.

I really think the Leatherman Crunch is probably the best complement to the manager. It has a true plier capable of adjusting any size nut up to 1" and it has a FULL 1/4 inch bit driver which makes it's functionality explode. The other reason I suggest the crunch is that it has a Serrated blade which makes sense when you also carry a dedicated knife.

As for wallet..I have the Anti-gear solo wallet sitting in my locked mailbox right now grr...Can't wait till wife gets home with the key. Its basically the modular wallet of my dreams lol.

Cheers,
H.G.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #56 on: March 20, 2019, 12:35:31 AM
I slimmed down to a front pocket wallet some time last year, and never looked back.
I posted this pic elsewhere before, but it fits to post it here.

It fits a Swiss Card Lite perfect  :)
(And it contains an emergency minimal pen!)

I prefer a normal sized pen if I need to write. Parker pens, like a Jotter or a Vector rollerball are great basic options. I do have an Inventery M bolt action pen, and prefer it over the Parkers. But my favorites pens are old Rotring pens. I recently came in possession of this one, and it's my current favorite.

Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: March 20, 2019, 01:50:39 AM
I slimmed down to a front pocket wallet some time last year, and never looked back.
I posted this pic elsewhere before, but it fits to post it here.
(Image removed from quote.)
It fits a Swiss Card Lite perfect  :)
(And it contains an emergency minimal pen!)

I prefer a normal sized pen if I need to write. Parker pens, like a Jotter or a Vector rollerball are great basic options. I do have an Inventery M bolt action pen, and prefer it over the Parkers. But my favorites pens are old Rotring pens. I recently came in possession of this one, and it's my current favorite.
(Image removed from quote.)

That looks sweet, I tried something similar as well, but I still ended up having to carry a pen..and a flashlight separately. I eventually made myself a wallet that fit my needs but really looking forward to the wallet that I am getting tomorrow. Cant wait to show u guys, very different.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: March 20, 2019, 06:50:27 AM
That looks sweet, I tried something similar as well, but I still ended up having to carry a pen..and a flashlight separately. I eventually made myself a wallet that fit my needs but really looking forward to the wallet that I am getting tomorrow. Cant wait to show u guys, very different.

:popcorn:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: March 20, 2019, 12:04:54 PM
My favourite pens to carry are either a Paper Mate Flex Grip;

or a good old Parker Jotter.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%