Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's build a Minimalist EDC!

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Let's build a Minimalist EDC!
Reply #60 on: March 21, 2019, 04:40:02 AM
Nice pens all  :tu:

I am not a big fan of push button pens though. For some reason i always click them while in my pocket and then „write“ on my pants when retrieving it from the pocket. So i normally use twist mechanism or the once with a screw–on cap.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #61 on: March 21, 2019, 07:37:32 PM
The biggest issue I have with most small pens is they tend to be two pieces, I would love if they made a fisher pen about the same size as it collapsed with a push button. I

I just love the Manager, especially when i learned how to hold it properly (with the file extended).

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bto6GfGAv5k/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Because I have been so satisfied with that tool I base my other tool choices around it.

I really think the Leatherman Crunch is probably the best complement to the manager. It has a true plier capable of adjusting any size nut up to 1" and it has a FULL 1/4 inch bit driver which makes it's functionality explode. The other reason I suggest the crunch is that it has a Serrated blade which makes sense when you also carry a dedicated knife.

As for wallet..I have the Anti-gear solo wallet sitting in my locked mailbox right now grr...Can't wait till wife gets home with the key. Its basically the modular wallet of my dreams lol.

Cheers,
H.G.

You're still learning... You should hold it rotated 180º, so the file doesn't close when you press it against the space between your index and thmb.

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: March 22, 2019, 03:38:21 PM
You're still learning... You should hold it rotated 180º, so the file doesn't close when you press it against the space between your index and thmb.

:pok: :pok:

Thanks for the tip Sensei!  :hatsoff:

also, beat this!

Cash
Cards
House keys
key (car 1)
Key Fab (car 2)
AAA Flashlight
Victorinox Manager
Leatherman PS4
Leatherman Charge Knife
Pen
Moleskin Volant Notebook

all in a super compact package Anti-Gear Wallet FTW!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvUG2RshUr7/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvUG4QWBUM-/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvUG5cPhq-H/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Cheers,
H.G.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #63 on: March 22, 2019, 06:38:54 PM
Pretty nice setup!

:tu: :tu: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #64 on: March 23, 2019, 01:48:26 AM

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #65 on: March 23, 2019, 01:53:28 AM
I think we can move on from pens and wallets. We had some really nice ones posted, and i don‘t think we need to make a decision on these items as they are all about personal preference.

Let‘s move to flashlights! What lumen do you think is needed? What activation mechanism do you prefer? Size factor: small enough to fit on a key chain or slightly larger for better handling?

Let‘s hear it!  :popcorn:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #66 on: March 23, 2019, 03:02:50 AM
Let‘s move to flashlights! What lumen do you think is needed? What activation mechanism do you prefer? Size factor: small enough to fit on a key chain or slightly larger for better handling?

I tend to have AA or CR123 lights as my primary in the darker months. However for minimal carry configurations, it often tends to be single cell AAA lights. I do however, have a Nitecore Tube on my keys.

I actually had a count up only a few days ago, as to how many lights I have and what batteries they take. Here's the numbers...

AA - 3
AAA - 7
CR123 - 6
9V - 2
Button cells (Photon/Headlamps) - 8
Rechargeable (Nitecore Tube) - 3
Multiple Source (Gerber Omnivore) - 1

So I actually have the largest number in AAA and button cells. The button cells are 2 back-up headlamps, and 6 Photon/fauxton lights. This only counts dedicated lights, and does not include the light on a Voyager Lite for example. While many may consider them outdated, I consider the little Photon style lights as forgotten gems. I've gotten by with just one of those several times when the batteries in my primary light have died. A AAA light would be my preference though, as it can be fastened to keys, or carried separately.

For general carry, the comfortable minimum lumens is 10 for me, but I don't mind lights that have a lower mode as well. I don't have need of more than 100 lumens these days. I prefer clicky, but don't mind twisty.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: March 23, 2019, 06:06:36 AM

For a minimalist EDC, I think a single AAA light is the way to go for easy pocket or key chain carry.  AAA batteries are more readily available than coin cells, but of course smaller than AA or CR123.

I prefer two (high and low) or three (high, medium, and low) mode lights, since it gives the flexibility to choose between more light and longer run time on the fly.  Somewhere around 80 - 100 lumens is a pretty respectable high mode output for a single AAA light.  Low mode should be 10 lumens or less.

I like a twisty switch over a clicky switch on this type of light.  My experience is that the push buttons have an annoying habit of getting accidentally activated in pocket, resulting in a dead flashlight battery.  With a twist switch, an extra half rotation when turning off the light effectively prevents any inadvertent activation.

Something like an Olight I3S or Fenix E05 would be a good choice.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #68 on: March 23, 2019, 03:27:18 PM
My Fenix LD02 and Photon X have both been on my keys for a while.  They have been flawless and have batteries easily found.  I use Eneloops as my primary cell for AAA and AA.  My Olight S1R and Zebralight are my go to when winter is here and the time changes.  I also like to bring either of these when I'm going out and wont be home till evening.  My ZL is running a 14500 rechargeable and my Olight has a proprietary cell thats also rechargeable tho it will accept CR123s.  The lights I carry at home are a Thrunite Ti AAA or a Fenix EO5 SS.  I like to have a light in my pocket at home so AAA lights are easiest for me.  I'm not terribly picky about how a light is turned on.  I do appreciate a push button light tho. 

I like a pocket clip on my lights so they can be used as a head lamp when attached to the bill of a cap.   
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: March 23, 2019, 06:01:21 PM
I think we can move on from pens and wallets. We had some really nice ones posted, and i don‘t think we need to make a decision on these items as they are all about personal preference.

Been thinking about this one a lot and as a result am about to retire my 18650 light from my bag and sticking with my keychain light as my sole on person EDC light solution, I'll keep the 18650's for home, car and bike.

My criteria for years has been: AA or AAA (due to availability), high of 130+ lumen (max I ever really need for EDC), rear clicky only (the only switch I really like), rear standing, good reliability and warranty and Nichia 90+ CRI (I'm a pro photographer, I see differences in CRI for real).

For the past 3 years my solution has been the Eagtac D25A clicky which has admirably answered all my criteria above. I just found out that there is a mkII but I'm not all that desperate to upgrade. I don't want memory in a light this size, the 14500 specs are not advertised anywhere and I'm still not sure I need more lumens.

I've used smaller lights, I had the Eagtac D25AAA Nichia, an excellent bombproof light, the only real problem was the twisty, I have finger problems and a twisty = 2 hands for me, a rear clicky is also faster to cycle. My wife has it now. I had an L3 illumination L11c but it was (very) unreliable. I had a Prometheus Beta QR and although it was an excellent light, the lumen count was low, it was a twisty and I lost it due to the QR mechanism. I had a tiny Astrolux M01 which died within a week and the warranty process was a nightmare. I know my Eagtac is expensive but it's the only one I know of that really answers my criteria above. Well, it and its successor. What I would like is USB charging but you can't have everything right?  :)

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #70 on: March 23, 2019, 07:06:58 PM
I have a range of flashlights from small button ones like on the swisscardlite to 18650. If I go out at night I take a larger one, but for general EDC I just stick to smaller button/AAA/10440/cr123 and the flashlight on my mobile. My most carried one has to be the Maglite LED Solitaire. It's not the brightest AAA out there, but the very minimal form factor is a win for me.

Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Let's build a Minimalist EDC!
Reply #71 on: March 24, 2019, 10:33:25 AM
I will never ever leave the house without my phone and watch. Funny, almost no one mentions a phone.

In spring/summer, this is what I carry all the time. I also carry a purse with much more stuff in it, like my notebook, little (boo boo)FAK and EDC Pouch. That pouch is stuffed with a Leatherman, screwdrivers, cables etc.
But minimal, this…

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:39:08 AM by Serena »

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: March 25, 2019, 03:11:59 PM
Very very nice EDC!

I just got a pair of Ultra-Tac A7s with a dispersal cap. The Pair was $25 from amazon. I love the 3 modes, 180lumen super bright for AAA flashlight.

I would never ever get a flashlight that didn’t have a reversable clip that would let you put it on a hat.

My vote is for the Ultra Tac A7 (really cheap, small and powerful)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvZzOrUgKeg/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Or the Nitecore TiP (rechargable)

Something like that would work great.  But I definitly recomend an AAA flashlight, much easier to deal with. Also I just got the Amazon basics high capacity AAA rechargables, so I am really happy about that.

Cheers

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #73 on: March 26, 2019, 09:54:30 PM
Some really nice lights here folks  :like:

I have to agree with push buttons. If they are not somewhat countersunk, they always seem to accidentally activate in my pockets. On the other hand, I also had a head-twisty flashlight once where i lost the head, because it was mounted too loose. Do not have that issue with my Ti3 though  :tu:

I made a preliminary list for comparison. I did not want to make it too extensive, so it only covers the (for me) essential information: Lumens, Battery type, Protection Rating, Size and Activation Method.

Fenix LD02
   8-100 lumens
   AAA
   IPX8
   15mm x 76mm
   Pushbutton (tail, countersunk)

Olight S1R
   0.5-900 lumens
   RCR123 (USB Chargeable)
   IPX8
   21mm x 66mm
   Pushbutton (side, flush)

Thrunite Ti3
   0.08-130 lumens
   AAA
   IPX8
   14mm x 70mm
   Twist Switch      

Fenix EO5
   8-85lumens
   AAA
   IPX8
   15mm x 66.5mm
   Twist Switch   

Eagtac D25A
   2-405 lumens
   AA or 14500 li-ion
   IPX8
   17.5mm-87mm
   Programmable Click Switch

Eagtac D25AAA
   13-155 lumens
   AAA
   IPX8
   14mm-70mm
   Twist Switch   

Maglite LED Solitaire
   47 lumens
   AAA
   IPX7
   12.7mm-81mm
   Twist Switch

Nitecore TiP
   1-360 lumens
   built-in li-ion battery (500 mAh), USB rechargeable
   IP54
   24.5mm-60.8mm
   Push Buttons   

If you can find some time, please check them out if you do not own them already. I will wait a little bit longer before putting them up for a vote  :hatsoff:

Personally i prefer a AAA flashlight because easily available batteries, Eneloops being my favorites. Not a big fan of USB chargeable flashlights. They always seem to be out of juice when i need them, without being able to exchange the battery.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: March 27, 2019, 04:43:27 AM
Personally, I would narrow that list pretty quickly to the Fenix E05 or Thrunite Ti3.

I'm definitely curious about the firefly mode on the Thrunite.  Really 115 hours?  Is 0.04 lumens enough light to actually be useful for anything?

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #75 on: March 27, 2019, 04:53:21 AM
Not really sure if that is useful. I have an older version were the lowest mode is 12 lumens. Could be enough to see close range in a pitch black room  :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: March 27, 2019, 01:09:31 PM
I'm definitely curious about the firefly mode on the Thrunite.  Really 115 hours?  Is 0.04 lumens enough light to actually be useful for anything?

Yes. Firefly modes are good for finding your torch in the darkness. Not bright enough to stop you getting some shut eye, but if you do wake in the night, and need the torch to see by, it gives off enough light so you can see it in the dark. The tricky part is remembering to turn it off again in the morning, as you might not notice its on.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: March 27, 2019, 07:57:46 PM
Yes. Firefly modes are good for finding your torch in the darkness. Not bright enough to stop you getting some shut eye, but if you do wake in the night, and need the torch to see by, it gives off enough light so you can see it in the dark. The tricky part is remembering to turn it off again in the morning, as you might not notice its on.

Interesting.  I hadn't thought about that.

Wouldn't it make more sense to incorporate a glow-in-the-dark button or ring into the flashlight, so that it could be located in the dark by a means that doesn't run down the battery?  I'm actually surprised more manufacturers don't do this.  I put lanyards with glow-in-the-dark beads on several of my flashlights, and it works like a charm.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #78 on: March 27, 2019, 08:12:58 PM
Good point, but i for example hate glow in the dark stuff. I like my bedroom completely dark at night. Even small LEDs drive me crazy. I have two flashlights next to my bed, always in the exact same spot. That way i know exactly where to reach for a light  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: March 27, 2019, 08:25:09 PM
Interesting.  I hadn't thought about that.

Wouldn't it make more sense to incorporate a glow-in-the-dark button or ring into the flashlight, so that it could be located in the dark by a means that doesn't run down the battery?  I'm actually surprised more manufacturers don't do this.  I put lanyards with glow-in-the-dark beads on several of my flashlights, and it works like a charm.

With a firefly mode, you can choose to have it on or off, and it won't fade during the night like glow in the dark stuff does. I'm not saying it's for everyone, nor there are no other alternatives, just that firefly mode can and does serve a purpose if you need it. I've found it useful when away from home, when I'd need a torch just to find a lightswitch.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #80 on: April 04, 2019, 10:51:36 PM
Don't think we are getting more flashlight recommendations here, so let's make a decision. Here is the list again. Pick one and only one flashlight  :cheers:

Fenix LD02
   8-100 lumens
   AAA
   IPX8
   15mm x 76mm
   Pushbutton (tail, countersunk)

Olight S1R
   0.5-900 lumens
   RCR123 (USB Chargeable)
   IPX8
   21mm x 66mm
   Pushbutton (side, flush)

Thrunite Ti3
   0.08-130 lumens
   AAA
   IPX8
   14mm x 70mm
   Twist Switch     

Fenix EO5
   8-85lumens
   AAA
   IPX8
   15mm x 66.5mm
   Twist Switch   

Eagtac D25A
   2-405 lumens
   AA or 14500 li-ion
   IPX8
   17.5mm-87mm
   Programmable Click Switch

Eagtac D25AAA
   13-155 lumens
   AAA
   IPX8
   14mm-70mm
   Twist Switch   

Maglite LED Solitaire
   47 lumens
   AAA
   IPX7
   12.7mm-81mm
   Twist Switch

Nitecore TiP
   1-360 lumens
   built-in li-ion battery (500 mAh), USB rechargeable
   IP54
   24.5mm-60.8mm
   Push Buttons   

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #81 on: April 04, 2019, 11:15:54 PM
I have the S1R and being able to be charged USB and take 123s is nice but if I'm not able to charge the 123s aren't that accessible.  Bases solely off specs since I don't have one, D25A.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: April 05, 2019, 02:04:07 AM
Fenix E05

se Offline RF52

Reply #83 on: April 05, 2019, 02:06:52 AM
:iagree: with Aloha, based on the specs I want one!

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #84 on: April 05, 2019, 02:47:15 AM
I'm a huge fan of the D25A Clicky.  Bright enough, compact enough and versatile enough for it to be the only light I think I'd ever need.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: April 05, 2019, 06:02:48 AM
D25A clicky, the new mkII version is very very nice.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: April 05, 2019, 09:33:13 AM
Granted, the D25A does look like a neat little light.

As a 1xAA light, I would certainly expect it to outperform the 1xAAA lights.

However, if we are building a minimalist EDC, I think we need to go with a 1xAAA light, as I believe it's fair to consider AAA to be the smallest readily available battery size. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #87 on: April 05, 2019, 02:48:11 PM
Fair point  :salute:.  I try to separate out size with minimal when thinking EDC.  Yes AAA would certainly fit the category of minimalist but for my way of thinking I consider features.  Can I pack a feature rich tool rather than a selection of tools?  The D25A has quite a range and using a variety of cells this made sense to me.  I don't have one so I don't know the actual size but my S1R is pretty reasonable considering what you get.  I didn't choose it solely based on cells. 

Esse Quam Videri

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #88 on: April 05, 2019, 04:56:47 PM
That is always the tricky question. Do you use the smaller tool and loose some utility, or do you use the larger tool and end up witha not so minimal EDC.
I do not own the D25A yet, but looking at the specs it is almost the same size as most of the other flashlight, if slightly larger. I would still put it in the same size category as the others. Thoughts?  :hatsoff:

I also decided that once we finished building our EDC in this thread, i will make a 30day challenge with it! Would be great if some of you fine people would join me  :cheers: It might take a while though, as i have to get most of the tools first  :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #89 on: April 05, 2019, 05:14:23 PM
That is always the tricky question. Do you use the smaller tool and loose some utility, or do you use the larger tool and end up witha not so minimal EDC.

Part of this comes down to the individual's definition of minimalist. Take a ridiculous example of a full size folder, and a small keyring tool. The keyring tool has a much smaller knife blade, but offers more functionality. Not everyone will agree which is the more minimal. A less ridiculous comparison would be a Spartan and a Minichamp. One is minimal in size, the other in function/versatility.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD