Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's build a Minimalist EDC!

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Let's build a Minimalist EDC!
Reply #90 on: April 05, 2019, 05:19:21 PM
That is true. That makes it so hard to find a common ground, but i think we have done pretty good so far  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #91 on: April 05, 2019, 06:11:53 PM
I would argue the D25A Clicky is the best, most minimal, 1xAA light that packs a bundle of features into a really compact body but I take the point that's not what everyone is thinking of.  A Fenix E01 is genuinely as minimal as a 1xAAA can get but it's nowhere near as versatile. 

Personally I prefer a bit of versatility from my pocket lights so something like the LD02 sounds OK to me and I'm also a big fan of my Nitecore TIP.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #92 on: April 06, 2019, 02:03:24 PM
This can also be seen as two different schools of thought; genuine minimalism and maximum minimalism.

To my way of thinking this topic has gone down a far more "max-minimal" train of thought i.e. the most bang for your size buck.  Given that's what I aim most of the time I'm perfectly OK with that.  :D

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #93 on: April 06, 2019, 03:30:51 PM
I guess you are right  :rofl: Maximum Minimalism. Love it  :tu: :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #94 on: April 06, 2019, 03:40:53 PM
I guess you are right  :rofl: Maximum Minimalism. Love it  :tu: :cheers:

I can't take any credit for the phrase though as I read it on here before. :)

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #95 on: April 07, 2019, 03:56:59 AM
So to whoever invented it:  :cheers: :hatsoff:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: April 07, 2019, 06:03:11 AM
I've carried the D25AAA (a year) and D25A Clicky (years). Forget the features, AA is far more readily available if you're thinking battery shortage situation. In addition it's nicer in hand due to the size and even if the lumens are not important (as I'd argue once you get past 100 lumen for a pocket life) the runtime is a real factor. In addition a clicky is considerably easier and quicker to use one handed and I'm almost always using a pocket flashlight one handed while the other is busy doing other stuff like holding a tool.

Stay with me while I try to make sense of a novel idea.  I would advance the suggestion that USB charging in this day and age is the correct option for a minimalist solution. No need to carry extra spares or chargers. Use whatever charging solution or cables you are already carrying for your phone. If you have power then a USB outlet adaptor is considerably smaller and easier than a battery charger. In addition it is easy to use with portable chargers and portable solar chargers. The combination of USB charging and AA would of course be perfect but I've not seen or heard of any as yet. I'd hoped for the addition to the mkII version of the D25A but it didn't happen, they decided instead on running usb charging on a new line with a very different form factor.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: April 07, 2019, 08:43:32 AM
Minimalism - Getting by with the absolute least or smallest possible.

Maximum Minimalism - The term goes back at least to the SOSAK days, though I am unsure who first coined it.  As I understand it, it means we're really looking to maximize the utility to size/weight ratio.  So, larger/heavier items could be considered, as long as the increase in actual utility truly justified the trade-off.  But, it's sort of related to the Pareto Principle in the sense that if we can handle say 90% of the problems we encounter with a tool that is 50% the size, then that is what we are going to do; we aren't going to choose the tool that is twice the size to get to that last 10% of the problems.

Maximalism - Go ahead and carry that Swisschamp, Work Champ, Swisstool, or Surge.  You'll be sure to have everything you might need.

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: April 07, 2019, 08:52:53 AM
The combination of USB charging and AA would of course be perfect but I've not seen or heard of any as yet.

Check out the Fenix RC05:

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-rc05-led-flashlight/

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #99 on: April 07, 2019, 02:30:28 PM

Maximum Minimalism - The term goes back at least to the SOSAK days, though I am unsure who first coined it.  As I understand it, it means we're really looking to maximize the utility to size/weight ratio.  So, larger/heavier items could be considered, as long as the increase in actual utility truly justified the trade-off.  But, it's sort of related to the Pareto Principle in the sense that if we can handle say 90% of the problems we encounter with a tool that is 50% the size, then that is what we are going to do; we aren't going to choose the tool that is twice the size to get to that last 10% of the problems.

Maximalism - Go ahead and carry that Swisschamp, Work Champ, Swisstool, or Surge.  You'll be sure to have everything you might need.

Good explanation!

I have a vague recollection of Carl (jackknife/cbl51) and maybe UnknownVT (?) using the term on sosak. Don't know if either of them coined it, though.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #100 on: April 07, 2019, 02:57:59 PM
Good explanation!

I have a vague recollection of Carl (jackknife/cbl51) and maybe UnknownVT (?) using the term on sosak. Don't know if either of them coined it, though.

I don't know if he coined it either, but I'm sure it a phrase I first heard from Carl. :)

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #101 on: April 07, 2019, 11:17:01 PM

Makes sense and I think this explanation covers pretty well what we are trying to built. Thanks Nate!  :cheers:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #102 on: April 07, 2019, 11:21:35 PM
I've carried the D25AAA (a year) and D25A Clicky (years). Forget the features, AA is far more readily available if you're thinking battery shortage situation. In addition it's nicer in hand due to the size and even if the lumens are not important (as I'd argue once you get past 100 lumen for a pocket life) the runtime is a real factor. In addition a clicky is considerably easier and quicker to use one handed and I'm almost always using a pocket flashlight one handed while the other is busy doing other stuff like holding a tool.

Stay with me while I try to make sense of a novel idea.  I would advance the suggestion that USB charging in this day and age is the correct option for a minimalist solution. No need to carry extra spares or chargers. Use whatever charging solution or cables you are already carrying for your phone. If you have power then a USB outlet adaptor is considerably smaller and easier than a battery charger. In addition it is easy to use with portable chargers and portable solar chargers. The combination of USB charging and AA would of course be perfect but I've not seen or heard of any as yet. I'd hoped for the addition to the mkII version of the D25A but it didn't happen, they decided instead on running usb charging on a new line with a very different form factor.

I would agree with the USB charging IF you can still replace the batteries. In my experience all USB charged devices are always out of juice when i need them. And when I need them, recharging - even fast charging - is not an option.
Concerning the battery shortage situation i am not sure though if USB charging would still be an option. That seems more like a SHTF scenario.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #103 on: April 07, 2019, 11:23:58 PM
Check out the Fenix RC05:

https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-rc05-led-flashlight/

That does look really interesting! Does anyone have experiences with it yet?

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: April 08, 2019, 06:43:14 AM
No experience here with the RC05 yet, though I did have an RC11 at my last job.  The magnetic charging is pretty neat, and addresses one of my dislikes about many USB rechargeable lights:  namely that they have basically a standard mini or micro USB port with some type of cover, which could get smurfed up if it got water, dirt, or other crud in it.  The only downside, of course, is that it requires that special Fenix cable.

For a number of reasons (the most important of which are probably cold weather performance, shelf life, and leak resistance), I prefer to run my pocket, outdoor, and emergency kit lights on non-rechargeable lithium AAAs or AAs (but of course could use alkalines or whatever was available in a pinch).

When I said AAA was the smallest readily available battery size, I wasn't so much thinking SHTF or shortage scenario.  Rather, I was thinking that every gas station, convenience store, mom-and-pop shop, etc. that sells batteries generally stocks at least AAA, AA, C, and D size alkaline batteries.  Other battery types and sizes are less of a sure thing.   On the topic of battery shortages, though, I do recall a few years ago when a "major storm" was predicted for my area, and the C and D cells disappeared from store shelves almost instantly, while the AAA and AA batteries remained available.  Fortunately, the storm was nowhere near as severe as predicted.  While I won't be giving up my D-cell-powered lanterns any time soon, it certainly gave me peace of mind to know that I had a good supply of AAA- and AA-powered lights (and corresponding batteries).

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: April 08, 2019, 09:20:07 AM
No experience here with the RC05 yet, though I did have an RC11 at my last job.  The magnetic charging is pretty neat, and addresses one of my dislikes about many USB rechargeable lights:  namely that they have basically a standard mini or micro USB port with some type of cover, which could get smurfed up if it got water, dirt, or other crud in it.  The only downside, of course, is that it requires that special Fenix cable.

For a number of reasons (the most important of which are probably cold weather performance, shelf life, and leak resistance), I prefer to run my pocket, outdoor, and emergency kit lights on non-rechargeable lithium AAAs or AAs (but of course could use alkalines or whatever was available in a pinch).

When I said AAA was the smallest readily available battery size, I wasn't so much thinking SHTF or shortage scenario.  Rather, I was thinking that every gas station, convenience store, mom-and-pop shop, etc. that sells batteries generally stocks at least AAA, AA, C, and D size alkaline batteries.  Other battery types and sizes are less of a sure thing.   On the topic of battery shortages, though, I do recall a few years ago when a "major storm" was predicted for my area, and the C and D cells disappeared from store shelves almost instantly, while the AAA and AA batteries remained available.  Fortunately, the storm was nowhere near as severe as predicted.  While I won't be giving up my D-cell-powered lanterns any time soon, it certainly gave me peace of mind to know that I had a good supply of AAA- and AA-powered lights (and corresponding batteries).

Anything but AAA and AA are hard to find here. AAA itself harder than AA. Even in a store that sells both, you'll find triple the amount of AA than AAA.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: April 09, 2019, 03:08:12 AM
Anything but AAA and AA are hard to find here. AAA itself harder than AA. Even in a store that sells both, you'll find triple the amount of AA than AAA.

Interesting.  Perhaps we should consider AA to be the smallest readily available battery worldwide... :think:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #107 on: April 09, 2019, 05:23:44 AM
Interesting.  Perhaps we should consider AA to be the smallest readily available battery worldwide... :think:

That is interesting. I have to pay attention next time i go to a hardware store, and make a quick count. Wonder what the ratio AA to AAA in the states is  :think:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: April 09, 2019, 11:30:44 AM
Over here (Norway) it seems AAA:AA is about 50:50, and it seems the AAA share is growing.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #109 on: April 12, 2019, 06:05:54 PM
Today's minimal carry is under 100gr for a knife, light, and multi.

I took of the clip of the knife to save 5gr.  :salute:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 06:18:32 PM by microbe »
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #110 on: April 12, 2019, 06:35:13 PM
Both are what I consider my minimal carry. 
IMG_6955.jpg
* IMG_6955.jpg (Filesize: 176.78 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #111 on: April 13, 2019, 03:28:53 AM
Great minimal carries! Can you tell us more about the flashlights (brand/id)?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #112 on: April 13, 2019, 06:00:49 AM
Thrunite Ti on the left. 
AAA cell.
Lumens:
Low: 0.5 Lumens (115hrs)
Medium: 12 Lumens (6.3hrs)
High: 162lumens (1hrs)
HIdden Strobe.
XP-L V4 emitter.

The light on the Right is Foursevens Preon P0 SS
AAA cel
Lumens
Low 0.24 (120 hrs )
Medium 24Lm ( 2 hrs )

The beam is all flood.   

Esse Quam Videri

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #113 on: April 14, 2019, 03:21:12 AM
Thanks Aloha  :tu:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #114 on: April 17, 2019, 04:59:48 PM
I think there was enough time to vote, so the winner in the category flashlight is: Eagtac D25A  :woohoo:

We have talked about MTs, Pens, Wallets and Flashlights. For most of us that covers their minimal bases, but is there anything else we need to add?  :think:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #115 on: April 17, 2019, 05:06:57 PM
Phone?  :dunno:

I think to myself, what would I turn around and go home for?  Since I carry my light and SAK on my keys I'm covered.  Wallet has to come along however I have forgot it a couple times and I don't always go home for it. 

If I left my phone on a work day I will go home to get it, however this has rarely ever happened.  I have left it on non work days and never thought to go home for it.   
Esse Quam Videri

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #116 on: April 17, 2019, 05:10:19 PM
I agree with the phone. Just the question if there is something like a minimal phone. At least for me it would still be a smart phone, i just use internet features too often.
I would not consider the phone i have a minimal one at all...it is a damn brick that you cannot even carry in your pockets. Did not think about that though when i bought it  :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #117 on: April 17, 2019, 05:17:01 PM
Minimal is going to be relative.  I have gone thru a few smart phones and stuck with the iphne5.  Small enough to shirt pocket carry yet has enough features I like and use. 

I use the internet often enough while out and I can bill on the spot and collect money ( CC, DC ) on the spot too.  I use my calendar, camera, notes,  maps, pdf documents, invoicing app, compass, pandora and a few others every day while at work. 

I cannot be without my phone for work.  Off day I just bs mostly with it. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #118 on: April 17, 2019, 06:04:23 PM
My next phone will not be a smart phone, unless one of the manufacturers decides to offer something with privacy and security in mind. I used to use Blackberry, but they're infested with Android now.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #119 on: April 17, 2019, 06:31:59 PM
I am afraid that is not going to happen anytime soon. There is too much money in big data, and a smartphone is a huge data provider. All companies and startups that have tried to offer privacy and security-centered devices have failed. Which is no surprise, because the majority of people doesn't give a smurf about that. Just look at Facebook where everybody tells the world where they go, when they go, what they do and so on  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%