Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The future of Victorinox OH knives

Syem · 27 · 2348

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
The future of Victorinox OH knives
on: March 03, 2019, 01:24:53 AM
I've been kind of away from the forum lately, only lurking a bit... I checked around and didn't see a topic on this so please forgive me if it's been talked about elsewhere.

I was talking to a (relatively high-up) Victorinox employee about the red Alox Hunter Pro's lack of OH blade.
He explained to me that Victorinox was going to gradually discontinue selling OH knives... but they would still exist and be available to order. They would just disappear from flagship store displays (and probably stock).
A few things I'm unsure about:
 - I seem to recall it had to do with Swiss legislation but that it may still be a worldwide-affecting decision.
 - I'm not sure it'll affect non-flagship stores
 - I don't know if all OH knives will still exist and be available somehow... (Can you imagine a non-OH Hunter XT/XS?)
 - What are they gonna do about the Soldier 08? Stop selling it? Maybe they'll keep some OH knives in the visible lineup?
 - I'm not sure their plan is already fully thought-out or officially communicated about but I couldn't find any info on it. The guy I heard it from is definitely reliable though...

Either way I was kind of shocked as the OH feature really is important to a lot of knife-lovers... The lack of immediate availability in stores for such knives may have an adverse effect on Vic's sales...

Have any of you heard about this?
 What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 02:12:52 AM by Syem »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: The future of Victorinox OH knives
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 02:19:09 AM
Very interesting.   :nothingtoadd:
Esse Quam Videri

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 02:56:16 AM
I suspect that the primary market for them is the US so they might not put them in other stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 03:01:16 AM
It really depends. Most US states (if any) don't prohibit OHO.    Yet, most other countries do to some degree.

I'm left-handed, aka "southpaw".   Victorinox OHO are the only one-hand opening knives that are truly one-hand opening and close with my use. Everything else has to be carried on my right side, because almost all other liner locks are designed for right-handed use.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 03:24:15 AM
Well, I like mine and its almost always in my cargo pants pocket! Guess I might start adding a couple for future use. Thanks!  :like: :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 04:19:56 AM
 :nothingtoadd:

....but I'd be disappointed if this information proved to be accurate. 

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 04:32:28 AM
OHO is a must for me :tu: (Atleast one of the blades I carry)

I hope they are still available...

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 06:32:38 AM
This is absolutely horrible news.

I have carried an OHO Trekker regularly for years.
My dream knife and I've always wanted to build it is a plain edge OHO WorkChamp

With the changeover to the liner lock on all 111mm SAKs I was hoping they would offer more Oho offerings not cut back/eliminate them.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 06:46:03 AM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 07:17:17 AM
But the Hunter Pro M was released as OHO??

Seems to me they like to shift their focus back away from OHO a bit as they are not allowed everywhere.
People who liked the Pro M could not buy or carry it because of it. So the red alox version came without OHO features.
Moving back to the beginning, and slowing down on one hand blades, might sell better in stricter law countries.

Just my guess.

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 10:51:36 AM
Moving back to the beginning, and slowing down on one hand blades, might sell better in stricter law countries.

That's a good point!

I'll try to glean more info... I talked about this with the guy a few weeks ago; maybe he'll know more by now.

I think the way he put it was "we will stop advertising/showcasing/spotlighting OH knives but they'll still be available to those looking for them".
Maybe it means they'll make non-OH versions of each knife... Yet making two versions of each knife doesn't really seem financially optimal. Also, by not putting these OH knives forward their OH sales may drop which may result in them abandoning some models...

I just wish Victorinox had kept Wenger's eagerness for innovation and not just stuck to safe conservationism. This is kind of what this move feels like. Oh well, sometimes things need to change for the worse just to give us an excuse to reminisce on the "good old days".
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:53:56 AM by Syem »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 03:56:48 PM

I just wish Victorinox had kept Wenger's eagerness for innovation and not just stuck to safe conservationism. This is kind of what this move feels like. Oh well, sometimes things need to change for the worse just to give us an excuse to reminisce on the "good old days".

:iagree:  They've survived so who am I to grumble  :-\
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 08:28:57 PM
It really depends. Most US states (if any) don't prohibit OHO.    Yet, most other countries do to some degree.

I'm left-handed, aka "southpaw".   Victorinox OHO are the only one-hand opening knives that are truly one-hand opening and close with my use. Everything else has to be carried on my right side, because almost all other liner locks are designed for right-handed use.

I love the OHO knife concept, but being right handed Vic's design has always felt wrong for just the reasons you love them.  I'm often wished Vic would come to offer a more right handed friendly OHO.  I and many more of us have dreamed of Vic one day producing an OHO Swisstool and Spirit.  I think it might have helped their OHO sales a bit as well as their over all competativeness.  This news kind'a say's that's not going to happen.  For many this will just add to the market share of Vic's competitors like Leatherman.  Sad news for this Vic fan.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 09:55:45 PM
In lots of European countries its illegal to carry a OH knife (look at the number of fatal stabbings in London and Birmingham so far this year) and, with armed forces moving to using multi tools (look at Denmark and France using Swisstools), the demand for them may not now be there. It’s just a sign of the times. :ahhh
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:57:31 PM by Guardian »
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 10:22:20 PM

Wow you just made me realize what "Southpaw grammar" (an album by Smiths) might mean!

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 11:25:22 PM
With the number of country military contracts for the Soldier, I doubt they will discontinue OHO.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 08:07:52 PM
A bit of an "update" after another talk with a V-man.

- Vic's plan seems to be for the next 12 to 18 months.
- The main reason seems to be half-legislation and half-scare. They want to avoid any potential negative back-lash that may arise from their knives ever being used in a stabbing or other unfortunate events...
- The extent of this move is yet unknown (maybe even  to them) but it could go all the way to the removal of all OH versions from flagship stores... Meaning non-OH version of OH-only knives...

So basically I blame this on modern media deviance and over-dramatisation :D

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 09:03:52 PM
Rather sad if the fear of OHO is media dramatization. After all, the person most at risk of getting cut by a SAK is the owner. I noticed the change of blade design on the new Hunter Pro and thought it odd that they had dropped the thumb hole.  >:(
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 09:23:35 PM
I agree.  If it comes to using any SAK for an offensive weapon, then they might as well ban everything. :facepalm:
Barry

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 10:52:31 PM
I agree.  If it comes to using any SAK for an offensive weapon, then they might as well ban everything. :facepalm:
Well it would kinda make sense if they limited this "no OH" to the Hunter Pro line... Still in this "category" of knives there are so many other brands of knives that would be much more menacing and destructive stabbing weapons.

I really hope this V-man has got it all wrong :D
I'd rather pass for a fool having rung the bell out on this with wrong info than for Victorinox to really go through with removing all the OH knives.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 11:44:21 PM
Amazon review of the dangers of a SAK... 

(...or...why Victorinox should not worry about OHO)

:facepalm:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 01:30:29 AM
Amazon review of the dangers of a SAK... 

(...or...why Victorinox should not worry about OHO)

:facepalm:

Whoever wrote that review is a complete dunce who I'm guessing thought that pile of drivel was funny. I don't even think there's an actual word in it. Surprised it wasn't deleted. Unfortunately, Amazon has stopped letting people mark these stupid reviews "unhelpful", despite the fact that these completely harebrained reviews plaguing almost everything and seem to have only gotten more prevalent since you can't mark them as such. And reporting them does nothing .
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 01:40:03 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 02:38:33 PM
I read that review some time ago.  It amazes me what some people feel compelled to post as a review :facepalm:
Barry

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #22 on: March 16, 2019, 03:43:25 PM
It's a well known fact that if you forbid people to own any knife, the killing and attacking with knives stop.
It's also forbidden to kill or maim another person. That's why the killing in our sciety has stopped and no one gets killed or attacked anymore.
Especially criminals and terrorists obey to these rules, as you can notice on a daily base.
So it will save many lives if we can outlaw OHO!
 :facepalm: :facepalm:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 03:57:30 PM
On top of that, Vic discontinued their slidelocks recently and started using the liner locks on all models, turning some of them OHO.
about 2 years later they're planning on reversing?

:shrug:

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 08:46:03 PM
Funny, only the OH Trailmaster is available in NZ now. According to the distributor, the TH version has been discontinued. They’re still available from overseas sellers, though.  ???
Rambler

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: March 16, 2019, 09:31:36 PM
My gut suspicion is that this would be a commercial decision rather than anything else.  They're not likely to be taking on Spyderco or Benchmade in terms of OHO sales so it might be a loosing battle that isn't making them any money. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

fi Offline Gath

Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 12:13:39 PM
Funny, only the OH Trailmaster is available in NZ now. According to the distributor, the TH version has been discontinued. They’re still available from overseas sellers, though.  ???

Seems to Work another way too, Soldier is a common model so making The Trailmaster that's basically a scale variant standard is a logical manufacturing choice.

Removing slidelock is clearly a manufacturing thing as well to streamline production, and the product lines. Especially for 111mm I'm quite surprised how wide a range of very similar, yet different variations Victorinox carries, especially with the Ranger line existing as well.

So I don't think this is the complete demise of OHO, and will probably improve Victorinox numbers in the long run, but you know, as a collector one does hope they'll seek better figures trough innovation as well.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%