Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How is the Center Drive as an MP600 replacement?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
How is the Center Drive as an MP600 replacement?
on: January 30, 2019, 12:07:21 AM
I must say I'm liking the idea of a OHO blade and a long reach screwdriver. The biggest miss for me will be the scissors, but the can opener and saw will also be missed. The awl and the prybar look great though. If it uses regular MP600 tools or Diesel tools, I could swap that useless serrated blade for scissors or a saw blade. Thoughts?

Charles.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: How is the Center Drive as an MP600 replacement?
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:26:37 AM
There is a plus version with scissors out now or yes it looks like scissors can be swapped in easily enough.
As for replacing a mp600 I am not sure.
I like the blunt nose mp600 and the center drive pliers have a smaller nut area and don't open as wide.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 12:49:43 AM
I am in love withe the Centerdrive,there I said it!
The driver is a complete game  changer for me and the rest is just gravy!
I do love the pliers a lot and I honestly dont think I have used any other tool on mine?
I am OK with that too and rarely need tiny scissors  at all either.

Sent from my iPhone,dont expect too much

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:05:26 AM
Well damn. I guess I need to decide if I want a center drive plus with scissors, or to mod a regular center drive with a saw blade.

Does the prybar tool open cans by any chance? It looks like it might do double duty like the Victorinox combo tool on the single-layer knives.

Charles.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 08:35:21 AM
I believe Eth opened a can with it yes.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 08:42:07 AM
There is a plus version with scissors out now or yes it looks like scissors can be swapped in easily enough.
I like the blunt nose mp600 and the center drive pliers have a smaller nut area and don't open as wide.

Can the outer bottom edge of the pliers "shaved off" a bit for a wider opening maybe?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 08:49:09 AM

Can the outer bottom edge of the pliers "shaved off" a bit for a wider opening maybe?

Most likely yes, or take it off the wider plier head.
Not sure how either option would affect the internal spring though.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 12:00:02 PM
Eth also broke it when trying to pull a brass nail ;) and he doesn't like the fact that the pry-tool uses the plastic bits as lever/pivot. READ MORE

I'm not up to date if they have improved QC. But unless they have really stepped up their game I recommend that you inspect the tool upon arrival and buy at a place where you can bring/give/send it back without too much of a hassle .
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 12:40:53 PM
Eth also broke it when trying to pull a brass nail ;) and he doesn't like the fact that the pry-tool uses the plastic bits as lever/pivot. READ MORE

I'm not up to date if they have improved QC. But unless they have really stepped up their game I recommend that you inspect the tool upon arrival and buy at a place where you can bring/give/send it back without too much of a hassle .

I read your review and frankly, am impressed because I thought LM Wave had the worst bottle opener evar  :D CD seems to be tough competition about this. Here's a link that explains this claim a bit (probably my fav post in the whole MTo, makes me laugh every time I read it) : https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67225.msg1299590.html#msg1299590

Offline mtoolman

Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 11:16:24 PM
Regular MP600 tools or Diesel tools are perfect, and I don't need replacement.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 09:37:36 PM
I have the Center Drive a Couple of MP600s and a Diesel...It will fill in well for the MP's but not so much the Diesel in my Opinion..The Diesel has a slightly different Tool Set which Includes Scissors and a Wood Saw..Now it matches up for the most part the Tool Set of the Basic MP600 excluding the Can Opener which can be done with a bit of Patience with the Pry Tool...Personally I would snag a P38 and tuck it in the Sheath with the Bit Kit or CAREFULLY use the Blade(Which I have Done)..Now it has been announced that Gerber is going to Offer a New Version of the Center Drive with a Partially Serrated Main Blade on the Exterior and they replaced the Fully Serrated Main inside the Tool with Scissors and what Appears to be a much Better Leather Sheath..That has been my Only Complaint with Mine is the Sheath..I have tried and I am currently using One of the Custom Fit Sheaths that Gerber Offers..It lives up to its Advertisement so Far but I feel it is still set up more for a Molle Vest versus a Belt. I keep mine attached to the Outside of my Go Work Bag and rely on an MP600 or my Diesel and keep the Centerdrive for Heavy Chores or those that Require the Driver which I feel is its Greatest Strength over most Multi Tools

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 01:52:05 PM
The original sheath does leave a lot to be desired.  The only thing I would change on mine would be substituting the SE blade for a decent saw.  I carry a Vic Rambler so scissors aren't really an issue.
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD