Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber ComplEAT

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Gerber ComplEAT
on: March 15, 2019, 09:21:02 PM
I got an unexpected surprise today when a courier stopped by and dropped off a little present from the fine folks at Gerber.  When I opened it up, there was a new Gerber ComplEAT multitool inside. 

I have to say, I was quite happy about this as I have been looking at these since they were announced at SHOT this year.  I really like the Light My Fire sporks, but I have broken a few of them, and was wanting something a bit more robust.

The ComplEAT is a pretty neat tool- it combines a spoon, fork, vegetable peeler, spatula, scraper, tongs, can opener, bottle opener and package opener into one easy to use package.  The only thing missing is a knife, but I am guessing Gerber expects you to have a knife already, which is a pretty safe bet if you are reading this.

I'd strongly suggest that you take a bit more care when cutting it free of the backing card though, as I put a nice scratch on the multitool part doing that.   :facepalm:

You can see it going from the serrated cutting edge to the Gerber logo.  Fortunately, I am a user more than a collector (ok, some days anyway... :P) so a scratch isn't that big of a deal.  Sorry for the poopy photos, there will be better ones soon.

As you can see, the utensils are similar in size to the standard Light My Fire spork, which is good because that is a very manageable size.  You'll also notice that the ComplEAT's fork is more spork-like, allowing it to serve as both a fork and a spoon, which could be handy if you have help eating, and need two spoons for one of those boil in the bag meals- which I did, but that's getting ahead of myself.

The Gerber's fork tines are not as pointed as a regular fork, or as pointed as the Light My Fire spork, but it is pretty thin, so it should pierce things well enough.  I haven't tried that part yet, but I hope to soon enough.

Likewise the spoon is a good size with a deep enough bowl that I could get heaps of chili out of it without a problem.  It felt like eating with regular utensils, which was kind of nice on the trail today.

Either the fork or the spoon can be attached to the scraper to form a set of tongs that work quite well, at least for clicking and making Megan laugh at how silly I look.  I haven't used them for anything yet beyond that, but they feel as good as any of the tongs I have in the house.  Like some of the other features, I will report more on them when I have actually used them.

Because the whole thing has to be springy to use as tongs the fork and spoon feel flimsy at first in the hand.  The stamped aluminum is pretty thin, but not really any thinner than the titanium Light My Fire spork which I also thought was thin, and it has held up pretty well.  Also, as I said, I ate a bowl of chili on the trail with it and it was more than up to the task.

Getting back to the scraper, I have to say that I really like this.  Part of the bottom and one side are silicone, which allows you to get every bit of goodness out of the corners of a can or package so you don't waste anything.  I think that's a really handy feature.  It also has a serrated edge on the other side, which could come in handy if you didn't bring your knife.  Bear in mind it is plastic, co it could probably cut most foods, but I wouldn't expect it to fare too well in a Cold Steel type Proof video.  Last but certainly not least, the big flat bit also works as a spatula/flipper.

Naturally Megan decided that we needed to go out and test it ASAP, so we loaded up the small isobutane stove, pot and fuel along with the ComplEAT into my Maxpedition Sitka, dusted off a pack of Alpine Aire chili and headed off for a hike... but those photos will come later.  For now we have to get ready to go out for supper, but here's a bit of a teaser for you.  :D

My initial thoughts were that I liked the ComplEAT- after using it a little bit, I am liking it more than I thought I would- way to go Gerber!   :tu:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Gerber ComplEAT
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 09:25:12 PM
Only got my first spork recently...

Might add one more :popcorn:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 09:39:09 PM
 :o. That looks really clever. I'm looking forward to hearing how the rest of the functions perform  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 10:01:00 PM
From my very limited testing, pretty darned good so far.

Gerber's newer designs are really impressing me with their innovations, I think I'm really going to like this one.

Der
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 10:47:33 PM
Gerber have LOTS of good ideas. They just don't always survive the process through to finished product intact  :P Thankfully, a lot do though, and I'm pretty sure there's still more Gerbers in my array of pliers tools than any other manufacturer.

This ComplEAT set looks very promising.  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 11:08:13 PM
That looks very well thought out and neat.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 11:36:11 AM
Couple of pics from yesterday's outing.

Nom nom nom

I'd still like to do more testing with it before I give an actual evaluation, but I have to say I am pretty happy with it so far.

Def

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 11:44:36 AM
 :like:
l want all major brands to have hobo tools, sporks etc. :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 12:03:41 PM
:like:
l want all major brands to have hobo tools, sporks etc. :cheers:

Yeah, me too.  Fortunately we are starting to see some good quality ones coming out, and that is a good thing.

Def

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 07:36:54 PM
I really like the Light My Fire sporks, but I have broken a few of them, and was wanting something a bit more robust.
Have you tried a Sea To Summit plastic spork?  :pok:

:o. That looks really clever.
:iagree:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 01:07:45 PM
I don't like sporks... they are usually poor spoons and even worse forks, or if they are two sided like the light my fire one, then you are kinda unwieldy. This design looks much better, looking forward to your conclusion :tu:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 02:26:31 PM
Have you tried a Sea To Summit plastic spork?  :pok:
 :iagree:

No, I have not tried the Sea to Summit spork although it is on my list.  I like the long handle for getting into the corners of packages without getting your hands covered in sauce.  I got some long plastic spoons from GSI (I think they were GSI, they may have been MSR) and I really like them for stirring and serving as well as eating, so I think I may like the Sea to Summit one.  I also like that it is aluminum rather than plastic, as the only real drawback I have with the ones I have is that they flex an awful lot sometimes during use and I'm concerned they will snap off.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 08:57:10 PM
I opened a can of chili yesterday and decides to try the Gerber ComplEAT's can opener to do it.

As it is a push style can opener I wasn't expecting much, especially since it is such a thin piece of metal, and I figured it would dig into my fingers.

I was wrong.  It actually cut the can open quite easily and wasn't hard on my fingers at all.  I wouldn't want to use it in a restaurant setting, where I am opening many large cans on a regular basis, but I really had no issues at all opening a can with it.  It was actually easier than some larger tools.  Yes, I was amazed too, and I am not sure I'd believe it either if it hadn't been me doing it.

The can lid was a bit messy afterwards, but it wasn't really that much worse than many other multitool can openers, and a sight better than some I have used.

Another win for the ComplEAT.   :tu:

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 01:06:01 AM
That is a really great set :like: I would be tempted to buy this if I came across it in a store :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%