Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

To open, or not to open: that is the question

Poll

Open or Don't open?

Open
18 (64.3%)
Don't open
10 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: March 21, 2019, 03:16:59 AM

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: To open, or not to open: that is the question
Reply #30 on: March 15, 2019, 01:34:51 AM
I'd open it.  Keeping it in pristine packaging for collection purposes and possible future value makes sense.  This packaging is not pristine and opening it carefully would not damage the tool plus packaging value IMO.  The fact that you do not plan on selling it mean any future value is someone else's.  I ask myself if more pleasure is derived from holding a tool confined in packing or the tool itself having opened the package. 

It all came down to the condition of that packaging for my vote.
Thank you, Aloha! That is kind of where I am at. But, knowing the rarity, I thought a thread would be in order. Nix's idea for a pole was great. I shall abide by the numbers as a gesture to the MT collecting community.

I voted open it up and enjoy it. How much will you enjoy it closed up ?
Thank you, Steve!
As eluded to above, all of this stems from the scarcity more than anything. If I hadn't mentioned the tool in the "what do we have on the way" thread, and not read gregozedobe's reasoning, I would have already opened it.

This pole should help make the decision, either way it goes, less daunting. And I know this isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but MT collectors are few, and extremely rare examples should not be taken lightly. I had some reservations about opening the MP700 that I thought was going to arrive sealed, but it had already been cut into by someone else, so the decision was easy on that one.

My vote: Don’t open
 :popcorn:
Thank you, CeHo!
You know I really appreciate the condition of the tools in your collection. But, that said, I don't collect at that high of a level usually. It is hard for me to envision perfection in my collection, factoring in my low income. I settle on imperfect examples quite often as a direct result. :ahhh

I will say that I really wish the Trailrider had only been sold in box packaging.  :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 15, 2019, 10:36:28 AM
Thank you, Aloha! That is kind of where I am at. But, knowing the rarity, I thought a thread would be in order. Nix's idea for a pole was great. I shall abide by the numbers as a gesture to the MT collecting community.
Thank you, Steve!
As eluded to above, all of this stems from the scarcity more than anything. If I hadn't mentioned the tool in the "what do we have on the way" thread, and not read gregozedobe's reasoning, I would have already opened it.

This pole should help make the decision, either way it goes, less daunting. And I know this isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but MT collectors are few, and extremely rare examples should not be taken lightly. I had some reservations about opening the MP700 that I thought was going to arrive sealed, but it had already been cut into by someone else, so the decision was easy on that one.
Thank you, CeHo!
You know I really appreciate the condition of the tools in your collection. But, that said, I don't collect at that high of a level usually. It is hard for me to envision perfection in my collection, factoring in my low income. I settle on imperfect examples quite often as a direct result. :ahhh

I will say that I really wish the Trailrider had only been sold in box packaging.  :ahhh

Hey, I think you collect on a very very high level with awesome items. It doesn’t matter if you open it or not - it’s a very rare tool in one of the best collections here  :cheers:

I know this hard decisions - I had an PST from 1991 with a box in the same condition.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #32 on: March 15, 2019, 12:44:52 PM
Interesting dilema
I personallly i) Don't like clamshells ii) Don't like tools I cannot fondle or even use !!
So open it is my vote.
Lots of great thoughts and advice here - And this is a real compliment to your MTo mates  :tu:
....... I shall abide by the numbers as a gesture to the MT collecting community.
- But don't do this ...... :pok:

Do what you want to do based on your collection/using/MT philosophy !
I guess unles you are genuinely 50:50 and need us to tip the balance  ;)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: March 15, 2019, 12:59:11 PM

In that case, I think he should flip a coin and then choose based on what he found himself hoping the coin would tell him to (and ignore the actual coin flip). Great trick to figure out what you really want.  :)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #34 on: March 15, 2019, 01:17:38 PM
In that case, I think he should flip a coin and then choose based on what he found himself hoping the coin would tell him to (and ignore the actual coin flip). Great trick to figure out what you really want.  :)
:like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: March 15, 2019, 02:26:04 PM
Hey, I think you collect on a very very high level with awesome items. It doesn’t matter if you open it or not - it’s a very rare tool in one of the best collections here  :cheers:

I know this hard decisions - I had an PST from 1991 with a box in the same condition.
Many thanks for the kind words, CeHo! :cheers:

Well said too! :salute:

Interesting dilema
I personallly i) Don't like clamshells ii) Don't like tools I cannot fondle or even use !!
So open it is my vote.
Lots of great thoughts and advice here - And this is a real compliment to your MTo mates  :tu: - But don't do this ...... :pok:

Many thanks for the well stated reply and kind words, Huntsman! :cheers:

At this point, I am at 50/50. Well, more like 51/49. MT.o opinion has guided me through collecting mistakes and choices many times. Truth be told, I've only been collecting a few years and sometimes it helps to better understand certain aspects by reading what fellow collectors and/or user's personal philosophies are.  :)

Great tip, Steinar! :cheers: :rofl:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: March 15, 2019, 04:30:02 PM
 :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: March 15, 2019, 05:17:07 PM
I'm impressed by the strong voting trend to 'open' the Gerber.  Normally I'm in favor of using a tool, but in this case it just seems a bit more collectible to leave it in it's original state. It's going to be hard to go backwards, but it can always be opened later.

Still, I'd change my vote to 'open' if that seemed like more fun for you, G-man.  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: March 15, 2019, 06:16:16 PM
I'm impressed by the strong voting trend to 'open' the Gerber.  Normally I'm in favor of using a tool, but in this case it just seems a bit more collectible to leave it in it's original state. It's going to be hard to go backwards, but it can always be opened later.

Still, I'd change my vote to 'open' if that seemed like more fun for you, G-man.  :tu:

Many thanks, Nix! :cheers:
Very true about reversing any opening efforts. However, I've hurt my brain figuring out some ways to perfectly preserve the clamshell if the vote stays in favor of opening. I've got a buddy who sells vintage toys and knows a lot about opening/resealing plastic packaging. It is amazing how dirty some toys get while in certain plastic packaging and require extraction, cleaning, and repackaging. Wil be paying him a visit soon. :ahhh

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: March 15, 2019, 06:19:02 PM
Good idea GLBM I hope that he can help you  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

Offline John Alexander

Reply #40 on: March 15, 2019, 11:27:14 PM
More than half of everything I own is still in its original packaging. It's a disease.

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: March 16, 2019, 07:37:17 AM
More than half of everything I own is still in its original packaging. It's a disease.

:iagree: it’s a disease, and the love for the paperwork too

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #42 on: March 16, 2019, 01:36:18 PM
15 to 10.
And it was 6-6 before I accidentally voted for open. :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: March 16, 2019, 04:01:02 PM
You Pabloed the voting AND the packaging! :twak:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: March 16, 2019, 04:27:55 PM
Packaging is already Pabloed with yellowness and cracked edges. So it wouldn't be like tearing into something pristine.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: March 18, 2019, 12:14:20 AM

Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It Open It

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: March 18, 2019, 12:16:59 AM

Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It Use It

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: March 18, 2019, 12:18:36 AM
 :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: March 18, 2019, 02:55:10 AM
Thank you for the subtle hint, Steve!  :rofl:

One of those two may be happening on Wednesday.
58fa9aa02973088e8dc44d83b8434213.jpg
* 58fa9aa02973088e8dc44d83b8434213.jpg (Filesize: 89.98 KB)

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #49 on: March 18, 2019, 03:00:35 AM
Open it, then use the hell out of it.

:iagree: :like: But i am not a collector, so what do i know  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: March 18, 2019, 03:45:17 AM
Thank you, Steve and SirVic! :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: March 21, 2019, 02:50:31 AM
My buddy was able to remove the tool with minimal visual impact on the clamshell. I'm very happy to see the Trailrider out of the packaging. The early satin finish is always better looking than the newer satin finish. Thanks to everyone who voted and took the time to offer a viewpoint!  :cheers:

It is a real beauty.

Clamshell will be stored with the other MT boxes and such.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: March 21, 2019, 06:08:45 AM
:tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: March 21, 2019, 06:36:44 AM

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #54 on: March 21, 2019, 11:05:21 AM
Sweet - now go find a horse to practise on  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: March 21, 2019, 12:29:56 PM
Nice one GLBM glad that you got it out of its packaging  :cheers: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: March 21, 2019, 02:14:04 PM
Sweet - now go find a horse to practise on  :D
Thanks, Mags! :cheers:

Nice one GLBM glad that you got it out of its packaging  :cheers: :like:
Thank you, W! :cheers:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: March 21, 2019, 02:30:54 PM
A great tool  :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: March 21, 2019, 05:00:07 PM
A great tool  :like:
Thank you, CeHo! :cheers:

It has definitely become a jewel in the Gerber collection. I never even put it on my grail list, because I never thought I'd ever find one. Let alone an unused example with packing and papers. :)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #59 on: March 22, 2019, 04:36:58 PM
Nice !  It looks happy to be free  :D     

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30