Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Retired

us Offline FiL Wisneski

Retired
on: March 14, 2019, 09:55:35 PM
Why is it that every time I think I've found the perfect SAK for my various needs (58mm Vagabond, 91mm Yeoman, 111mm Carpenter), it turns out to be a retired model?  :dunno:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Retired
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 09:58:11 PM
Probably because they didn't sell or were too close to another model. Even rather old models (dating back to the 1960s and before) like the Craftsman were recently discontinued. And yes, the Carpenter is on my list too.  With its NASA connection, I'm surprised why the Master Craftsman doesn't stick around, either.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 10:27:57 PM
Original Outdoorsman,
Climber Small,
Salesman,
Voyageur,

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 10:53:11 PM
Why is it that every time I think I've found the perfect SAK for my various needs (58mm Vagabond, 91mm Yeoman, 111mm Carpenter), it turns out to be a retired model?  :dunno:

There is a guy on eBay right now who appears to be liquidating an entire collection.  He's got several Yeomen the last time I checked.  Prices are high, but if you really want one, he's got a few.  If you just search on Victorinox yeoman you'll find them.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 04:08:33 AM
There is a guy on eBay right now who appears to be liquidating an entire collection.  He's got several Yeomen the last time I checked.  Prices are high, but if you really want one, he's got a few.  If you just search on Victorinox yeoman you'll find them.

Two were BSA Explorers (marked Yeoman boxes) Both sold for $40.

EDIT:
 :oops: Wrong guy...

And thanks for passing along the info Myron!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:29:56 AM by kamakiri »
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 05:58:21 AM
Probably because they didn't sell or were too close to another model.
:iagree:

I think there may be something else at work as well.  In the ongoing quest for EDC perfection, we may see a tool we think would be perfect.  Normally, we acquire this perfect tool, only to discover it is good but not quite perfect, and the search for perfection continues.  On the other hand, if we are unable to acquire said perfect tool, the process can be halted, and we are left thinking, "Gee, it's too bad I can't get my hands on that perfect tool."  Of course, if we're really honest with ourselves, we might admit that we're really more into enjoying the journey than reaching the destination.

That said, I believe you do have several good options for possibly getting what you want:

- Accept the current production models that are very close to your perfect knives.
  • The Rambler is very close to the Vagabond, except that you would have to make do with the Rambler's one knife blade as opposed to the Vagabond's three.
  • The Explorer is very close to the Yeoman, but you would have to accept the small blade and opener layer instead of the combo tool.  As a bonus, though, you get the awl on the Explorer.
  • The Hercules is very close to the Carpenter, except the Hercules has one additional layer containing the scissors and 0/1 Phillips screwdriver.  The Hercules also has the corkscrew instead of the back-mounted 1/2 Phillips, but the back-mounted 1/2 Phillips seems pretty redundant on a SAK that already has the end-mounted 1/2 Phillips anyway.  Finally, the Carpenter was a slide-lock vs. the liner-lock of the Hercules.  I always felt the liner-lock was superior to the slide-lock, and Victorinox apparently agrees, since they have discontinued the slide-lock in favor of the liner-lock.  Plus, what's not to love about the beefier, locking version of the screwdriver/cap lifter?

- Keep an eye on eBay.  Even discontinued models sometimes show up there at reasonable prices, especially if you're willing to accept a SAK in used but good condition, as opposed to NIB or mint.

- Mod/build your own SAKs.  Certainly, both the Yeoman and a liner-locking version of the Carpenter could be built from current production knives/parts.  I think the Vagabond could too, but not totally sure if all the right 58 mm back springs would be available.

us Offline FiL Wisneski

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 02:50:37 PM
Appreciate all the advice and analysis.Nate you are probably right about the not-available knives always having the allure of being "perfect" because they are not tainted by real-world use. :)

Modding is not among my talents, and paying to mod is not in my budget, so I'm sticking with what's available on the market.

I like the peeler/package cutter tool on the Vagabond, so my replacement is the MiniChamp, though I could probably pick up a Vagabond on eBay for a not-unreasonable amount.

Yeoman prices on eBay are way above what I want to pay for a daily carry knife.  The Explorer is definitely my next-best option.   (A Yeoman Mechanic would have be pretty sweet too, if it had been a standard Victorinox model.)  Currently carrying a Champion Plus, but it's really more than this office worker needs on a daily basis.

I realize now that the Carpenter may be more than I really need for a hiking knife.  I mostly want the longer blade and longer wood saw, so I'm thinking a slimmer Hunter or Forester (along with the MiniChamp) would cover my essential needs. I've never had much use for the metal saw/file, and if I'm being honest, don't really need more screwdrivers or the pliers while hiking.  If I'm camping, I'm generally car camping, and I keep a Wave in the car.

Thanks for letting me talk though this out loud. :)

- FiL

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 03:53:30 PM
I felt the same way as I began my perfect SAK search.  I finally got a 84mm Golfer but realized the combo tool wasn't as perfect as I thought.  The tool otherwise is wonderful.  Years passed and I got a Salesman.  It been my go to now as its nearly perfect.  I had wanted a Wenger Pocket tool chest for a long time and again finally got one.  I dont believe its discontinued however I had a hard time finding one in my price range.  Any how, its a great SAK but it wont kick my Manager off my keys.   Lastly, I love my Explorer.  I had wanted a Yeoman for a long time.  Prices are way out of my league so I figured since I wasn't a fan of the combo tool no big deal.  A few months ago I got a +B which is super cool.  Very shortly after I got a hookless Explorer which is also very cool.  Between the two I have gravitated towards the Explorer. 

Sorry if this sounds like bragging.  What I'm trying to say is be patient.  You will stumble upon those SAKs you want.  Also as Nate said a lot better than I did.  I think part of our search is the journey as he says.  Its a fun part of EDC and this as a hobby.  Good luck on your journey.   
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD