Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Love Windows 10.

Chako · 119 · 5664

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Love Windows 10.
on: March 19, 2019, 11:28:43 PM
Got to love windows 10.

Monday...tried to log into my computer after work only to get an error. I tried again and got the same error. I re-booted the computer and got a little further. I tried this a few more times and eventually got a black screen with a flashing window bar. To me, it appears that the computer was in a loop of sorts. I took out the tablet to see what the issue is and to see what the fix might be. I found some info regarding AVG being the cause. This made sense as I had a message that my antivirus software would expire recently. So I figure that AVG messed up my access to windows 10.

Now to fix the issue. I had a bit of trouble getting into safe mode. I turned my machine on and off 3 times to access safe mode. Messy but it works. I tried to fix windows but that would not work. I also tried to roll back the operating system but found out there were no saved points (I had enabled this a while back but it must have either turned off, or never worked).

I then pulled out the recovery USB drive. After trying to boot from the drive twice, I realized I had to change the boot sequence in the BIOS. Once again I tried repairing Windows 10. That did not work. I was forced to format my drive and reinstall the operating system. That fixed the problem. It did not take much time to install things and to get my computer up to speed.

Got to love Windows 10. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 11:51:51 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Love Windows 10.
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 01:24:16 AM
One of the reasons I have gravitated to Ubuntu Linux recently. I was going to buy a new copy of Windows 10 when I got my latest PC put together, but decided to try Ubuntu 18.04LTS for the heck of it. Well, lets just say, didn't buy Windows after that.  :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 01:34:42 AM
Had some similar issues with win10 on my wife's machine. It seems to be fine then if you leave it idle it half locks up and you have to reboot to get it back to normal. I had some similar experiences trying to backtrack it and attempted similar routes to fix. It's really frustrating, and I'm really tempted to wipe, after all it was an upgrade from win7. I'm sure it'll clear up a heap of issues,  but I don't fancy getting everything installed and configured again.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 02:59:34 AM
One of the reasons I have gravitated to Ubuntu Linux recently. I was going to buy a new copy of Windows 10 when I got my latest PC put together, but decided to try Ubuntu 18.04LTS for the heck of it. Well, lets just say, didn't buy Windows after that.  :)

Yup! After battling for AGES with Win 7 on a laptop that came new with Win 7 installed, but just kept getting slower and slower, I installed Debian Linux. Works better than it ever did with Windows. The only hiccup I ever have, is it sometimes loses connectivity with the USB ports, one at a time, but only if I've left it on for an extended period, and a restart fixes it every time.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 08:20:49 AM
I have win 10 on my work computer, on my private laptops I am still on win 7.

I really don’t understand win 10, on win 7: you install an office pack and BOOM you are set! ...you have the office pack on a disc so you can install it on all the PCs you want.

On win 10, everything has to go through a “Microsoft account” that you have to create, and then you have to do a paid subscription for something as simple as word or excel......yes; you can do a “one time payment” but that is ONLY for that 1 computer and €150? ...really Microsoft? ...really?

I think that’s super greedy of them!

Plus I hate how they have tried to copy Apples idea with the “app” like icons in the start menu on win 8 and 10....it’s stupid and extremely confusing!

If I just want to view a picture; it opens “windows reader” that throws a fit when you want to close it, and it still doesn’t close fully and keeps the file open. So if you want to delete the picture or move the file to an external disc; you get an error saying “the file is still in use by another program”
So you have to “Ctrl, Alt, Delete” - task manager; and then close “Windows reader” from there.

Like; who comes up with this stuff and who approves this thinking it’s a great idea!?

I have none of these problems on my laptop running win 7, and I also have a MacBook Pro running the latest OSX and I have none of these problems on that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 10:21:35 AM
I love Windows 10 too.  :D

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 11:33:02 AM
For reference, my machine is technically dual boot, primary Ubuntu (technically Xubuntu, ie Ubuntu using the XFCE desktop) My secondary is Win10, which is an upgraded win7 install. I did it while it was free. Last week I booted into windows for the first time in 5 months, that's how often I use it, and my main objective was to patch/update it, then I switched back to Ubuntu. I have to say, my win10 install is smooth. Mostly because it's so clean and hardly used.

You can install older office on win10 using the CD and without using the MS account stuff, that's only really if you need the latest and greatest (which while the subscription model of Adobe products makes sense, most people do not need such a thing for office)  All MS are trying to do with the Store is create a walled garden type space like on IOS devices. However you still have the option to choose outside apps.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 11:54:08 AM
I tried with office pack 2010 and I wouldn’t install it. It continued to take me to an office 356 website to download the “office pack for win 10” which you need a Microsoft account for.

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 11:54:22 AM
Similar to Whoey, my laptop is dual-boot, with Linux Mint and Windows 10.
I only use Windows 10 for playing games and iTunes. :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 12:02:53 PM
I have win 10 on my work computer, on my private laptops I am still on win 7.

I really don’t understand win 10, on win 7: you install an office pack and BOOM you are set! ...you have the office pack on a disc so you can install it on all the PCs you want.

On win 10, everything has to go through a “Microsoft account” that you have to create, and then you have to do a paid subscription for something as simple as word or excel......yes; you can do a “one time payment” but that is ONLY for that 1 computer and €150? ...really Microsoft? ...really?

I think that’s super greedy of them!

Plus I hate how they have tried to copy Apples idea with the “app” like icons in the start menu on win 8 and 10....it’s stupid and extremely confusing!

If I just want to view a picture; it opens “windows reader” that throws a fit when you want to close it, and it still doesn’t close fully and keeps the file open. So if you want to delete the picture or move the file to an external disc; you get an error saying “the file is still in use by another program”
So you have to “Ctrl, Alt, Delete” - task manager; and then close “Windows reader” from there.

Like; who comes up with this stuff and who approves this thinking it’s a great idea!?

I have none of these problems on my laptop running win 7, and I also have a MacBook Pro running the latest OSX and I have none of these problems on that either.

Classic Shell. Go back to whatever start menu you liked the most. I still have my computer (Win7) and all the work ones (Win10) set up to look like Win98. :D
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 12:09:13 PM
What else is there to do on a computer?  :think:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 12:43:08 PM
I only play games that run on linux these days, and since that's greatly reduced, I play fewer games, which sort of works out well.

Wouldn't touch itunes with a barge pole. Since we do a radio show we get sent a lot of music via ipools (not related) so itunes isn't really necessary.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 01:36:27 PM
What else is there to do on a computer?  :think:

You have an Internet connection and a right hand.....your possibilities are endless!

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 01:38:24 PM
I only play games that run on linux these days, and since that's greatly reduced, I play fewer games, which sort of works out well.

Wouldn't touch itunes with a barge pole. Since we do a radio show we get sent a lot of music via ipools (not related) so itunes isn't really necessary.
iTunes isn't for me, it's for apple devices owned by other family members. :dwts: :ahhh

All hail the hook!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 05:48:48 PM
You have an Internet connection and a right hand.....your possibilities are endless!

(Image removed from quote.)

Not sure what you mean.... :dunno:  :whistle:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 08:33:28 PM
Actually I mainly use my PC for internet, games and playing music (I use Windows Media Player which is on Windows 10 but hiding - you need to enable it) and ArchiCAD when I work from home.
One thing I don't like is the inability to manually order folders... apart from that, the only bad stuff is hearing of others having issues after updates.  :dunno:
Oh and calling programs apps. :shrug:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 12:08:01 AM
Many years ago, my home unit was hit with a virus that tried to ransom my data, I was able to boot via a thumb drive and able to locate all my data, discovering that the “hidden attribute” was checked on all folders and files. 

For personal use, I switched to Chromebook for everything household use.   My work issued laptops used Windows, including 10.

Now retired, have two Chromebooks, mine and a unit for wife.  Not a single issue ever. 

Will not pay for MSWindows ever. 

I did cave recently, and purchased a smartphone, iPhone 7

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 11:12:29 AM
Yeah....so far...so good it would appear.  :whistle:

Yes, I do not like giving Microsoft more than they can get from me. I CD install Office 2013 Pro. I do not need anything newer. At work we use a newer version of Office that stores mostly to the cloud...which I was never a fan off. I would much prefer to have a tighter security on one computer than saving your docs to some server somewhere else. Just call me slightly paranoid.

My home laptop is running Windows 7 as well. I much prefer it to 10. I updated the home desktop for free when MS was giving out free upgrades. Fact is, It is a bit more convenient for me to use 10 at home as I must use it at work. I tend to stumble a little when I am on my win 7 laptop anymore...it is a bit funny actually. I do like that with win 7 you have better access to settings. That is something I do miss somewhat on 10.

I use my home computer mostly for gaming and work. Oddly enough, I tend to prefer my Samsung Tab A for browsing these days.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 11:26:37 AM
Maybe it's my limited contact speaking, but to me it seems like everything is still there, it's just hidden away somewhere behind a fancier interface.

It seems like the auto sleep mode is the key to the wife's issues. Manually switching it to sleep is fine, but if I set it to for example "go to sleep when idle after 20 minutes" from what I've read online it goes into some sort of quasi defrag/maintenance or something (unnecessary as it's running on SSD) and won't wake properly without a power cycle since it's not technically asleep or awake.

The only solution that seems logical is to disable the auto sleep and only manually trigger it.  :facepalm:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 12:09:50 PM
Maybe it's my limited contact speaking, but to me it seems like everything is still there, it's just hidden away somewhere behind a fancier interface.

It seems like the auto sleep mode is the key to the wife's issues. Manually switching it to sleep is fine, but if I set it to for example "go to sleep when idle after 20 minutes" from what I've read online it goes into some sort of quasi defrag/maintenance or something (unnecessary as it's running on SSD) and won't wake properly without a power cycle since it's not technically asleep or awake.

The only solution that seems logical is to disable the auto sleep and only manually trigger it.  :facepalm:
I had a similar issue with my laptop on windows....
It wouldn't boot up sometimes, unless you hard/soft reset it.
Disabling auto sleep, and only shutting off manually, seemed to fix it.

All hail the hook!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 08:41:16 PM
Windows 10 updates cause me anxiety every time. Something always gets screwed up. The last two updates I've had to repair or reinstall Avast   :facepalm:

And they can't seem to leave windows photo editor alone. They are always smurfing around with it   :rant:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 04:23:12 PM
well rather than get better it's now to the point where it locks up just after it finishes loading everything in the startup queue, more or less  :facepalm:

I really, really don't feel like reinstalling everything, plus backing up her current mess.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 04:43:20 PM
I also love windows 10. I love it so much I now use linux mint at home, despite not liking linux all that much...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 12:45:04 AM
and it looks like I figured it out, massive chunk of bad sectors on the SSD  :facepalm:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: March 26, 2019, 12:12:07 PM
 :ahhh
How bad?

All hail the hook!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: March 26, 2019, 12:58:41 PM
Quite bad. I had left the old HD in the tower when I moved to SSD 3 years ago which still boots fine, and ran a block checker overnight, it was at 300+ when I went to bed and the machine decided to snooze at some point so no idea on the final number as the app closed and I can't be bothered to hunt for logs. The SSD install crashes after windows finishes loading. I used the old system disk to pull off anything that can't be reinstalled, ie photos/docs/etc and config/storage from a few programs, and setup a clean win10 on a new/old 500gb I had laying around (new as in never used, old as in standard SATA hard disk).

I'm about halfway to where it needs to be now... and despite the clean install this standard disk doesn't feel quite as snappy as it was on the bloated/upgraded SSD.  :bnghd:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: March 26, 2019, 01:21:09 PM
So that SSD is trashed?  :-\

I was looking at a Kingston A400 SSD for my computer.  :think:
240GB for €30 isn't bad. There's probably a catch though.

All hail the hook!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: March 26, 2019, 02:26:31 PM
I just grabbed one off amazon for 32.50 EUR delivered tomorrow.

they aren't the fastest SSD, but it's more than double her old SSD speeds, and 3-4x the old HDD

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: March 26, 2019, 02:29:47 PM
Yar, I looked up SSD benchmarks, and they all look about equally fast compared to HDDs.  :D

All hail the hook!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: March 26, 2019, 02:51:35 PM
I mean, I'd rather a Samsung EVO, (which is what I have in my machine) but they aren't even remotely close on price. Stats are only slightly lower, and for the work she does it should be overkill.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%