Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Executive vs Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Executive vs Pocket Tool Chest
on: March 20, 2019, 08:45:41 PM
The most tool laden 74mm, versus the most tool laden 65mm. 

:duel:

These two knives, shown pictured below, a battered Executive, and barely used PTC (or Evo 88 to be specific), have been lurking in the mod box for quite a while. I thought about building a hybrid knife, adding the combo tool, awl and mini driver to the Executive), but the more I look at them, the more I think they should stay separate.

The nail file on the Executive, is probably the best of the entire Victorinox line, and of course the scissors are excellent too. The ones on the Wenger are no slouch either though. Yes, the Wenger scissors will leave the finger nail a little course, and need touching up with the file, but they handle plastics which would push out of the Vic a lot better.

The tip of the Executive file fit's in small Phillips screws very well, better than the tip of the PTC file on very small electronics screws, but it is thin, and easily sprained (mine needs a few good slaps with a hammer, to flatten it out again). The jewellers screwdriver on the PTC can handle those small screws though, such as the ones on a Photon keychain light, and the combo tool handles PH2 screws better than the orange peeler tip, and at least as well as the 58mm combo Phillips.

The knife on the PTC falls somewhere between the two on the Executive. You're less likely to attack an apple with it than you might with the 74mm, but it will open parcels, sharpen pencils, and handle most other small cutting tasks just fine. I'll certainly handle orange peel just fine, and not leave you mourning the absence of a dedicated tool for that role. However, that small serrated blade on the Vic, might handle some materials better than the Wenger blade.

While most people don't need an every carry sacking needle, and the PTC awl isn't sharpened for adding an extra hole to your belt, it's a brilliant general purpose pokey thing, to avoid ruining your knife blade or screwdrivers, if you need to winkle a stone from your sole, pressing reset switches, or just broddling around to scrape some gunk out of something you're repairing.

You'd expect a larger Swiss knife to be more capable than a smaller one, but in this case, I need to side with the smaller sibling. The Executive might be a better knife, depending on your needs. It is after all, three cutting blades instead of one. As to handling life's unexpected challenges though, I'd feel better prepared with the Wenger. As well as these two, I also have a brushed stainless PTC. I did have the equivalent model of the Executive too, a Director, but let that go, as the stainless PTC denied the Director and carry time.

I know the Executive has several fans on the forum, but the PTC seems to have won less favour. I will get my Executive cleaned up one day, but I'll be expecting less from it than the Wenger.

Which one has won you over, and why?
IMG_20190320_184732_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190320_184732_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 48.47 KB)
IMG_20190320_184845_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190320_184845_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 54.28 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Executive vs Pocket Tool Chest
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 09:24:04 PM
I have both, and like them both for their respective strengths.  I look at the PTC as a stronger version of the mighty mini's, more in competition with the Minichamp.  The Executive is in a class by itself IMO.  Personally, I think the Minichamp would be absolutely perfect as a 74mm, and the Classic in 65. 
Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 10:19:03 PM
I always have a SwissChamp and a MiniChamp in my right pocket and an Executive in my watch pocket.

I have developed a fondness for the Executive for most of my daily tasks.

I can access it quickly from my watch pocket and it is big enough for most tasks, but small enough that it does not scare people working around me who aren't used to using a pocket knife.

I have EDC'd a SwissChamp since they first came out and have used all the tools on it for various tasks over the years, and still run into tasks where I need them, but last year I participated in the  CYC2: Return of the Executive Challenge and grew to like using the Executive.

When I was a Victorinox Dealer I let my dad choose any knife he wanted and he chose a black Executive and it was his favorite EDC knife. I still have it and it has a lot of meaning to me since it was his.

A good friend gifted me a Red Executive last year (it just happened to be from the same time period as my dad's...it came in one of the burgundy boxes and has the same tang stamp) and I used it in the CYC2: Return of the Executive Challenge and it has remained as an EDC in my watch pocket ever since.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 10:30:39 PM

The Executive is in a class by itself IMO.  Personally, I think the Minichamp would be absolutely perfect as a 74mm, and the Classic in 65.

:iagree:

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 10:51:07 PM
Big fan of the Pocket Toolchest.  I grind an edge on that awl/reamer and make the eyeglass screwdriver a proper screwdriver.  I agree that the PTC best compares to the MiniChamp, I think the tool set on the PTC is much more useful.
PTC_Mod.jpg
* PTC_Mod.jpg (Filesize: 37.93 KB)
- Steve

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 10:53:24 PM
I'd agree the Executive is in a class by itself.  The PTC is a great tool.  The size is really nice as compared to the 58s. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 11:08:59 PM
Executive.

I hate it......but I wouldn't be without it.

What's the other choice.....?  :think:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 11:47:11 PM
I agree with all of your points and have chosen the PTC over the Executive after spending a good deal of time with each. I prefer the blade on the PTC because it is thinner and thinner always cuts better and easier. It does have a bit of flex to it but if that is a problem then you are definitely in need of a much bigger knife and not just the slight step up to an Executive. I've come to appreciate the serrated scissors. They munched through some very heavy-duty zip ties that were tightly fastened to a metal banister on a photo shoot. I was quite impressed with their ability. Driver-wise the PTC wins for me as well. Pretty much the only thing I prefer about the Executive is the file but that doesn't tip the scales enough in its favor. Also the Executive breaks the cardinal rule of "somehow, even if it is a ridiculous stretch, include a bottle opener" :ahhh

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 12:06:09 AM
I agree with all of your points and have chosen the PTC over the Executive after spending a good deal of time with each. I prefer the blade on the PTC because it is thinner and thinner always cuts better and easier. It does have a bit of flex to it but if that is a problem then you are definitely in need of a much bigger knife and not just the slight step up to an Executive. I've come to appreciate the serrated scissors. They munched through some very heavy-duty zip ties that were tightly fastened to a metal banister on a photo shoot. I was quite impressed with their ability. Driver-wise the PTC wins for me as well. Pretty much the only thing I prefer about the Executive is the file but that doesn't tip the scales enough in its favor. Also the Executive breaks the cardinal rule of "somehow, even if it is a ridiculous stretch, include a bottle opener" :ahhh

I'm glad you turned up, mate. I was feeling quite lonely in here amongst all these Executive fans :D We need gene stoner on board too :P

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 12:10:18 AM
 :rofl: 

:cheers:

it Offline Mini

Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 10:18:13 AM
The PTC is in my wish list, but the first problem for me is the scissor, because I prefer the victorinox one. Also, I need a nail file, use it often. With Executive, sometimes I missed the bottle opener.  For the size, I think I prefer the 74 mm of the Executive.
I Agree that I like to see something similar to the minichamp with 74 mm size 👍

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 02:23:44 PM
Great thread!  Like Nix inferred,  I'm confused by the Executive.  I like the size, as it fits in my large hands better than the 58s. I'm finding it difficult to find the right tool on the Minichamp without reading glasses on.  I love the two blades on the Executive.  But,  the Executive is heavy for its size.  I would gladly exchange the orange peeler for the combo tool on the 84mm.

The PTC has always intigued me.  I would love to try replacing the 58 with it,  but don't want to spend $70 on a nib knife.  Even the used ones are a little over priced.

Subbed, waiting for more input.  What other mods could be done to these knives to fill the gaps?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 01:06:52 AM
I always have a SwissChamp and a MiniChamp in my right pocket and an Executive in my watch pocket.
Please let me know if there will be another Executive Challenge!   :salute:

I have developed a fondness for the Executive for most of my daily tasks.

I can access it quickly from my watch pocket and it is big enough for most tasks, but small enough that it does not scare people working around me who aren't used to using a pocket knife.

I have EDC'd a SwissChamp since they first came out and have used all the tools on it for various tasks over the years, and still run into tasks where I need them, but last year I participated in the  CYC2: Return of the Executive Challenge and grew to like using the Executive.

When I was a Victorinox Dealer I let my dad choose any knife he wanted and he chose a black Executive and it was his favorite EDC knife. I still have it and it has a lot of meaning to me since it was his.

A good friend gifted me a Red Executive last year (it just happened to be from the same time period as my dad's...it came in one of the burgundy boxes and has the same tang stamp) and I used it in the CYC2: Return of the Executive Challenge and it has remained as an EDC in my watch pocket ever since.
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 03:07:59 AM
I'm glad you turned up, mate. I was feeling quite lonely in here amongst all these Executive fans :D We need gene stoner on board too :P

You should not feel bad AW.

If the PTC fits your needs better than the Executive then the PTC is the best choice for you.   :tu: :tu:

That is the fun of having all the different choices of SAKs. :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 03:59:52 AM

You should not feel bad AW.

If the PTC fits your needs better than the Executive then the PTC is the best choice for you.   :tu: :tu:

That is the fun of having all the different choices of SAKs. :cheers:

It was entirely tongue in cheek, Vicman. :D

I do feel the PTC is the stronger toolset for me, but don't expect that to be felt universally, and I'm quite comfortable having a different opinion to others :)

Truth is, I'm finally warming a little to the Executive too. That's why I'm thinking about keeping both knives intact, rather than building a hybrid mod. The Executive is more "pocket knife" than mini tool kit, and the PTC is a very well named little problem solver.

While I wouldn't carry the Executive as often, that doesn't mean it wouldn't have a role to play. With some brass or stag scales, I'm thinking it would pair very well with these two items...
IMG_20190322_025549_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190322_025549_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 45.42 KB)

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 03:30:06 PM

While I wouldn't carry the Executive as often, that doesn't mean it wouldn't have a role to play. With some brass or stag scales, I'm thinking it would pair very well with these two items...

That would be a good trio AW! :cheers:

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 05:01:03 PM
I had both a PTC and an Executive. I lost the Executive and can see no reason to replace it. I bought a spare PTC in case I lose my original one. PTC all the way!
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 05:13:50 AM
Executive, which I also slightly prefer to my minichamp.

I absolutely loathe the serrated scissors on Wenger knives so if I carry my Nomad or S557 for the excellent Phillips & Wrench combo I also have to carry a vic classic for the smooth scissors.

If there was a PTC with smooth scissors I think it might edge out the Exec by a very slim margin.

I have found the "orange peeler" to also make a decent package/letter opener when I don't want to dull my other two blades.

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 03:49:23 PM
For me the Executive is a awkward size with a tool set that doesn't give me much more usefulness then a Classic. Actually the Classic SD has a more useful screw driver.

Personally I fail to see how a silly little serrated blade/ almost useless screw driver can come close to being as useful as an Awl , Jewellers SD and a pry bar/SD/cap lifter.

When I trim my nails with a straight scissors like the Vic or the Wegner I need to use the nail file regardless if the scissors is serrated or not. The longer Executive file is nice but not nice enough to justify having to carry the awkward size 74mm.

In my opinion the Pocket Tool Chest the most useful SAK in the 74mm to 58mm "key ring size" SAK.

IMG_20190211_161928.jpg
* IMG_20190211_161928.jpg (Filesize: 90.22 KB)

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 06:56:52 PM
While I do like the Exec somewhat & just cannot see paying the price for a PTC, I will be happy with my choice, ............................MiniChamp.   :hatsoff:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 07:18:39 PM
I picked up a PTC in excellent condition on the Bay of E for $10.50 and missed out on a stainless one yesterday because I wasn't paying attention ::) that went for $17.00.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 07:34:34 PM
I picked up a PTC in excellent condition on the Bay of E for $10.50 and missed out on a stainless one yesterday because I wasn't paying attention ::) that went for $17.00.

That was a shame! The stainless one is a great knife if you can snag one.
IMG_20190324_183340_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190324_183340_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 54.19 KB)

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 07:57:32 PM
That was a shame! The stainless one is a great knife if you can snag one.
What Multi tool is that?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: March 24, 2019, 08:05:46 PM

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 08:08:45 PM

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: March 24, 2019, 08:21:12 PM
While I do like the Exec somewhat & just cannot see paying the price for a PTC, I will be happy with my choice, ............................MiniChamp.   :hatsoff:

My first PTC was bought on accident.  I was planning on getting a MC when I stumbled upon a lot of several Vic and Wenger SAK'S. Two of them ( a serrated Highlander and a Deluxe Climber) where SAK'S I really wanted. When I was able to inspect my purchase I discovered there was a PTC in the lot.

I planned on still getting my MC in a few months and figured the PTC would hold me over till then. Some four years later I still have not ordered a MC.

When I do get a MC I'm sure I'll find it very useful but I'm also sure I'll miss my awl, Jewellers SD, and small pry bar.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 08:25:06 PM
I really really really want a stainless steel PTC. $17 is a steel.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 09:13:35 PM
Trust me, I'm kicking myself. A friend dragged me to Hooters and my Ebay sniping acumen took a big hit :ahhh

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #28 on: April 21, 2019, 02:41:49 AM
Picked up a PTC in just about perfect condition at an estate sale recently and put titanium scales on it.

After carrying it for a couple weeks I have gotten more used to the serrated scissors. Enough so that it now will be part of my EDC rotation.

Overall a very nice, compact tool.

-Wes.
titaniumPTC.jpg
* titaniumPTC.jpg (Filesize: 228.97 KB)
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #29 on: April 21, 2019, 03:18:39 AM
..like my Executive but niw I'll have to yry to find a PTC... :think:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00