Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Sideclip

J90 · 23 · 1480

Offline J90

• New User
Leatherman Sideclip
on: March 26, 2019, 04:58:43 PM
Firstly thanks for the add to multitool.org.
Secondly, the blade on my 20yr old sideclip snapped in half last week and I am pleased to say that Leatherman USA are going to repair it free of charge. All I have to do is post it from my home in France to the UK distributor, and then they will take care of the rest.
It may not be big news in multitool world, but that sideclip of mine has been through a lot and I am well impressed with Leatherman's customer care. I look forward to having it back in my pocket soon.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman Sideclip
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 05:54:17 PM
Welcome  :cheers:      Are you sure they are going to repair and not replace it because if you don't specify that it is sentimental and you only want repair if possible they may send you a new  modern tool to replace it .

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 06:03:01 PM
The modern replacement could be a Rev. :dwts:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 06:20:03 PM
Oh I really hope they fix it for you and not replace :facepalm: might be best to contact them and tell them you don't want a replacement, you want it fixed or sent back :ahhh

They haven't made the SideClip in 15 years and mostly they replace instead of repair unless in US ???

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 06:37:17 PM
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 06:43:55 PM
The modern replacement could be a Rev. :dwts:

That statement almost makes me sick to my stomach

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 06:59:19 PM
That statement almost makes me sick to my stomach

(Image removed from quote.)

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 07:08:00 PM

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 07:09:04 PM
I am hoping that LM has a blade, or knows of a blade, that can be dropped into the SideClip. I recollect there are some other MT maker's blades that can be dropped into the SideClip. The SideClip is an awesome tool and I hope LM can do it some justice.  :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice

Offline J90

• New User
Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 07:32:46 PM
To update you all, Leatherman USA are going to replace the blade, service the sideclip and return it to me under warranty. I was offered a modern replacement in exchange for surrending the sideclip.

I explained that it has sentimental value to me. You military types will understand.

I bought it in an American PX in Sarajevo. It has seen me through SFOR, KFOR, UNMIBH, UNMIK, a Police career and is now my edc whilst working with the Italian army. It has served me well and Leatherman USA have respected that.

I have other Leatherman's, but this is the one and only for me.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 07:59:00 PM
Thanks for the clarification, J90! :salute:

Glad LM is taking good care of the situation. They must keep a small emergency supply of SideClip blades for situations such as yours. :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 08:03:25 PM
Thanks for the clarification, J90! :salute:

Glad LM is taking good care of the situation. They must keep a small emergency supply of SideClip blades for situations such as yours. :)

:iagree: and it makes me feel much better about the situation as well :salute: I know sentimentality and that was the bigger reason that I was hoping that they wouldn't just replace it :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 08:04:17 PM
Also, welcome to :MTO:  J90

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 09:00:59 PM
 :like: :tu:

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 01:47:33 AM
Not sure why everyone is dogpiling on the poor Rev. I picked one up on sale from Walmart for 10 bucks and it makes an excellent beater multitool when I don't want to possibly damage my Charge or Crunch.

Sure the tools don't lock but they are fully functional and the pliers are very nice. I like the Rev far more than the Wingman or Sidekick.

I will however fully admit that the Rev is worth no where near the current usual price of $40.00. Maybe $25 max.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 01:52:47 AM
Not sure why everyone is dogpiling on the poor Rev. I picked one up on sale from Walmart for 10 bucks and it makes an excellent beater multitool when I don't want to possibly damage my Charge or Crunch.

Sure the tools don't lock but they are fully functional and the pliers are very nice. I like the Rev far more than the Wingman or Sidekick.

I will however fully admit that the Rev is worth no where near the current usual price of $40.00. Maybe $25 max.

Oh, my bad. Allow me to clarify. I don't have an issue with the Rev itself(for the normal $30 price it is fine, as you said). I had an issue with a possible warranty switch where a Rev is sent back for a sent in SideClip. The SideClip is one of the best MTs ever made(if you don't have one, it is worth checking out - amazing light weight thin EDC tool). SideClips are quite expensive(if you can find one in good condition), but the REV is the closest replacement.

us Offline Wessaen

Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 02:07:55 AM
I do indeed have a Slideclip; I carry it once in a blue moon because they are rare enough that I don't want to damage or lose it.

The performance packed into its slim size is great.

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 02:11:14 AM
Awesome! So you know. :cheers:

I bought a NIB SideClip just for the sole reason of carrying the near-mint one I already had. Still haven't given it proper carry time.  :facepalm:
Mostly, because of the challenge threads though. :ahhh

us Offline Wessaen

Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 02:39:01 AM
Yeah, during the current discontinued challenge I've carried my Sideclip twice.

Outside of that my usual weekend carry is the Charge or more and more often the Rev, as it does 95% of what the Charge can do and I don't mind if I ding it. If I know I'm going to need it I pull out my Crunch.

us Offline MTFool

Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 10:02:24 PM

I completely AGREE with you, WESSEAN. But I would be disappointed if they replaced a old faithful mt  with (IMO ) a less quality mt.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 10:22:02 PM

I completely AGREE with you, WESSEAN. But I would be disappointed if they replaced a old faithful mt  with (IMO ) a less quality mt.

:iagree: and that was my thinking :cheers:

spam Offline Happy Gilmore

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 10:40:56 PM
sounds like a really sweet tool you have, pics plz!

Cheers,
H.G.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69