Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Does anyone else forget how their lights work?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Does anyone else forget how their lights work?
on: March 25, 2019, 03:39:33 AM
Maybe I have too many lights, and/or just don't swap between my gear enough  :dunno:

I mean, you pick up a knife that you haven't used for a while, and you know how to cut things. You pick up a pair of pliers you haven't used for a while, and you can grab things just fine. Yet with lights, things are somehow less certain.

I've been going through my lights, checking batteries, and generally just checking everything is working ok. The only thing that wasn't working as it should, was me...

Constantly soft pressing a Fenix E11, wondering why it wouldn't switch modes, and why my Fenix PD20 only had one mode plus strobe  :rant: (totally forgetting that you twist the head to access the other modes). I actually had to go online to find instruction for them :dwts:

Twisting a Thrunite Ti on and off constantly, knowing there's a low mode in there somewhere - totally skipping past the low mode on the partially tightened head because I was turning it on too fast.

Turning the strobe on, on the Silva Ninox, because I always forget to press and hold to turn it off.

Wondering who stole the modes on my Lumapower D mini VX. Tactical lock was on. I completely forgot it existed, never mind knowing how to disable the damn thing. Internet to the rescue again  ::)

In AA, AAA and CR123 lights alone, I counted 16 lights (and I'm sure there's another somewhere), by 10 different manufacturers, with a myriad of different systems for getting it to do what you want. No wonder I get confused. I'm just glad I haven't got my Zebralight anymore, that thing can reduce a man to tears on its own.

Is it just me? C'mon, own up :P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Dan B

Re: Does anyone else forget how their lights work?
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 03:48:00 AM
Fortunately I don't have too many to remember.

I've got some old single mode Surefire lights, a Surefire E2 Tactician, some of the old 4sevens quark tactical lights, some of the Streamlight "ten-tap" ones that live in high only mode, and just recently a Fenix UC35.

The 4sevens ones are the most complicated but they're also the ones that I'm most familiar with.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 05:05:21 AM

I only have a handful as well:  a couple of maglites, a few Fenix LD22s, a Fenix LD01, and an Olight I3S.  Plus, while I really like having at least two or three different brightness levels, having a really simple/intuitive manual of operations is a requirement for me when looking to purchase a flashlight.  If it weren't, I figure I would be the one to find myself camping or otherwise without power or internet, wondering how get the silly thing out of strobe mode...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 05:54:32 AM
 :whistle: It happens.  I've got a few lights but they tend to be similar in UI.  Another great reason to get your gear out and have a play from time to time  :pok:
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 06:01:56 AM
Yup and I don't even have that many different models. But I still have twisty's, rear clicky, front clicky, rear clicky with twist for modes and twist for second set of modes. I remember once I had a few modern flashlights picking up my old maglite from my army days and I simply couldn't remember how to change power on it. Nowadays I've pretty much tried to condense my flashlights to a single UI, my preferred one. Rear Clicky. Doesn't help with my wife or kids lights though.  :)
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 11:58:11 AM
Same here, but to a more extreme extent.

I only have two, a Thrunite Ti3 and a Manker E03H.

The Ti3 is pretty fool-proof, turn it on and off in quick succession to go firefly-low-high. Do that whole thing twice to get to strobe.

The Manker isn't too bad, press it normally to into firefly, and successive presses to cycle firefly-low-med-high.
The trickier part is accessing the strobe and turbo modes. :D And remembering the shortcut to get to your last used of the "main" (low-med-high) modes.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 12:11:00 PM
I have 2 decent lights, so no issue remembering the functions.

I also have a few cheapos that are usualy the same UI (half press to switch mode, with memory when turned off)

us Offline Dan B

Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 12:15:49 PM

they tend to be similar in UI.

That helps too.  All of mine are some variation of the forward press and all but one are a clicky.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 01:43:32 PM
Yeah and Hell Yeah!

But this is a Hobby and I also use my lights all the time and this is what I call fun! :rofl:

It is not too tough to find and standardize on  a single simple interface if that is what you like but is there really any difference with this and just having a SAK Cadet as it is so simple and really all I need?

How is this really different than EVERY SINGLE Smart device today?

I sure have never seen anyone in traffic trying to kill others by fiddling with a Flashlight though? :salute:

us Offline Dan B

Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 01:47:39 PM

I sure have never seen anyone in traffic trying to kill others by fiddling with a Flashlight though? :salute:

Haha! True story.

us Offline Dan B

Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 02:00:05 PM

It is not too tough to find and standardize on  a single simple interface if that is what you like

You would think, but I've had an awful time trying to find something that does what my Quark Tactical lights did for me, specially give me direct access to both moonlight and maximum output with decent throw.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 02:31:53 PM
Yes I do... even though I don’t have that too many lights... especially those that stays in the bag as backup... seldom used :facepalm:

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 05:53:07 PM

You would think, but I've had an awful time trying to find something that does what my Quark Tactical lights did for me, specially give me direct access to both moonlight and maximum output with decent throw.

So, not exactly the same as the Quarks, but you might take a look at what I'll call the Fenix "two-button" lights, e.g. LD22, LD12, PD35, etc.  Basically, the tail switch is momentary on/off, the side switch (with the light on) cycles through modes, and the light has mode memory.

us Offline Dan B

Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 06:21:04 PM
So, not exactly the same as the Quarks, but you might take a look at what I'll call the Fenix "two-button" lights, e.g. LD22, LD12, PD35, etc.  Basically, the tail switch is momentary on/off, the side switch (with the light on) cycles through modes, and the light has mode memory.
That was my thought in getting the Fenix UC35. It's a good light and works well enough but it doesn't give direct access to both high and low modes.

I just grabbed a couple of new old stock Quark QT2L-X gen 2 heads off of ebay. Those were the last generation before the legal shenanigans went down so it tops out at 700+ lumens in burst.

Where I already have a collection of bodies for these lights I'm hoping that these will hold me over until whatever applicable patent expires and they start making them again.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 06:49:15 PM
Yes I do... even though I don’t have that too many lights... especially those that stays in the bag as backup... seldom used :facepalm:

:iagree: this is me :facepalm: :D I got out my older Maglite XL50 and almost forgot how it worked :ahhh a few clicks into it and I finally remembered  :D

us Offline KBM3

Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 04:14:10 AM
When it comes to flashlights, I like simplicity. On and off are the only modes I require. I have played with lights that have multiple functions (high, low, medium, strobe, etc.) and it is overkill for my purposes. As I am getting older, my night vision is slowly getting worse and I just need something that throws light.

Ken

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 01:20:38 PM
When it comes to flashlights, I like simplicity. On and off are the only modes I require. I have played with lights that have multiple functions (high, low, medium, strobe, etc.) and it is overkill for my purposes. As I am getting older, my night vision is slowly getting worse and I just need something that throws light.

Ken

Yup. I can relate to that. The main reason I was forgetting how several of my lights work, was I've been pretty much just carrying the simpler ones. The Quark AA2 Tactical requires me to access the hidden modes to set the light levels, but once set, it's just on/off for daily operation. The Sunwayman V10R ie even simpler, an on/off switch and a twist ring dimmer.

us Offline Dan B

Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 01:26:44 PM

The Sunwayman V10R ie even simpler, an on/off switch and a twist ring dimmer.

I haven't heard of that one before. I might have to check it out. Do you like yours?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 01:26:50 PM
At some point, I think I want to try out the Zebralight UI.
It seems to be gloriously complicated.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 01:32:18 PM

I haven't heard of that one before. I might have to check it out. Do you like yours?

I love it, but it does have one minor/major annoyance (depending where you are, and what you're wearing). The body of the torch directly beneath the clip is quite smooth, and it doesn't have the grip on the pocket that I would like. It has a habit of escaping, and I now call it Houdini.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 02:59:00 PM
I love it, but it does have one minor/major annoyance (depending where you are, and what you're wearing). The body of the torch directly beneath the clip is quite smooth, and it doesn't have the grip on the pocket that I would like. It has a habit of escaping, and I now call it Houdini.
These have also been discontinued for a long time I thought and the Rotary control seem to degrade on them according to many although mine has been just fine really.

I don't understand why more makers don't employ a Rotary control though I imagine it is only the cost in the end?

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 03:00:29 PM
At some point, I think I want to try out the Zebralight UI.
It seems to be gloriously complicated.  :D

If you can Walk and Chew Gum at the same time I think you could deal with it.

I have not EDC'd anything else since getting my first ZL and likely never will.

us Offline Dan B

Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 03:17:11 PM

I don't understand why more makers don't employ a Rotary control though I imagine it is only the cost in the end?

Right? It seemed like everything was going to that and then all of a sudden it just disappeared.

I'd love a simple forward clicky with a twist ring to select output. Maybe have it spring loaded so that you have to retract it to get it to turn.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 03:29:07 PM
These have also been discontinued for a long time I thought and the Rotary control seem to degrade on them according to many although mine has been just fine really.

No problem with mine either. Nuphoria, who I bought this from, upgraded to the later version, and she said it wasn't as good. I think she said it lacked smoothness in both the movement of the ring, and the light level change too.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 03:31:09 PM

Right? It seemed like everything was going to that and then all of a sudden it just disappeared.

I'd love a simple forward clicky with a twist ring to select output. Maybe have it spring loaded so that you have to retract it to get it to turn.

Yeah, some method of getting it to stop at the required light level would be good. With mine, you nearly always have to click AND twist, because it's moved from where you wanted it.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #25 on: March 28, 2019, 04:57:58 PM
Don't get me started on the subject...

A few weeks ago, I forgot how to engage reverse in my car...

:facepalm:

I had to check the diagram on the gear stick.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Archibald Tuttle

Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 10:00:07 PM
It does happen! SO many "morse code" lights are available now. Long press for on or long press for off, double click for turbo, press and hold for moonlight .Triple click for battery check, double click and hold for room service..
 I really prefer the  traditional dimmer/rheostat operation of a light. I took to carrying a Jetbeam TCR-1 in 2012 and ever other light gets compared to that simple function UI. I own and use a few Zebralights, Manker,Emisar, Malkoff,Nitecore,SureFire, etc. buts it's the dirt simple user interface of the TCR-1 that keeps it in my pocket.
From .01 lumen to 600 lumens, it's as simple as turning a dial.

Now, as long winded as that was, it doesn't stop me in any way from trying and thoroughly enjoying new lights :D And, I enjoy many of my prepper-doomer buds picking the light apart, feature wise :cheers:
Imagine how boring the forum would be if we all settled on a one or two knives or multitools or lights.  :hatsoff:

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 03, 2019, 05:21:01 AM
Yes.  My most commonly used flashlights are rotary ring or twisty, which are very easy and intuitive.  I have an Olight S1 mini, that I don’t use very often and when I do I forget that you have to press hold rather than quick press to change modes.  I also have an Emissar with ramping.  I know remember how to use the ramping, but frequently forget the other shortcuts.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%