Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Snippet - great new keychain scissors based multi tool from SOG

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
So, I was at Academy Sports and saw the newest tool from SOG hanging on the rack. It was $24.99 and I was initially apprehensive about the cost. However, after some careful though about the cost of competitor's prices, I came to the conclusion that it was a fair local-retail price.

Boy am I glad I bought it. The Snippet(at least the one I bought) is a cutting beast. I threw several reasonable mediums at it and it just cuts them like nobody's business. The blades have a great grind-profile and the pivot uses a screw that can be adjusted if the scissors ever get a bit loose(unlike other company's tools like VIc, LM, Gerber, etc).
The scissors are NOT spring loaded, but that is just fine, because of the pop-out finger-guards. The Snippet works much like a regular pair of scissors in that respect. I REALLY like the finger-guard setup after using it on the Snippet.

The jaws easily cut through these mediums.

The on-board tools are updated from the popular CrossCut 2.0 as well. The blade has been changed a bit, with a longer length, a bit more robust look and more belly on the edge. The file/nail-cleaner has been changed from a straight line cut file to a cross-cut file. The file is the best one SOG has put on a tool in a long time, as it is reasonably aggressive and well-cut. Larger and longer Lg. flat driver. Thinner and slimmer tweezers that make them easier to use than the giant steel slab tweezers on the CrossCut. Bottle operer/glasses flat driver are quite similar.

They added a nice size pocket clip as well, which I am not sure I'd ever use on such a small tool, but it's there. It does have the standard SOG lanyard ring attachment on one of the tool-pivot screws like some other SOG models.

The finger guards also act, with their configuration, to prevent the handles from folding back if the jaws get jammed. opening-force in the guards makes the jaws open without manipulating the handles. A very innovative design in the scissor-keychain MT class.

The weight is good as well at 2.0oz(56.7g). The finish is inferior to the CrossCut though, but with the new system of finger guards, I can see where some cost needed to be moved from. The finish isn't bad, but it is a cheap-ish Grind-polish that is a bit more course than the finish LM uses on the Micra.

So, with all of the cool stuff mentioned, lets get to some stuff that may be a turn-off for some people.

The design is not conventional, so many are going to have an issue with the non spring-loaded blades and finger-guards. The guards LOOK thin and weak, but they have a strong spring-temper and should hold their shape with normal use. The appearance will be a turn off for some. The opening and closing of the pliers and tools seems to be a bit crude compared to the CrossCut. The edges aren't polished and have ever-so-slightly 'sharpish' feel, though I still find them much easier to use than my CrossCut(which hurts to use for extended periods).

Who do I recommend this tool to?

People who need a realistically sized set of keychain MT scissors, who like real scissors more than sprung mini-scissors. Someone who is looking for an alternative to the Micra and Gerber scissor tools.  Someone who needs a more robust, and easier to use, tool for extended periods of time.

EDIT: This tool is better off in large hands. Smaller hands would take more time to get accustomed to using the new design, because of the fixed guard-positions.

IMO, it is worth $25. Disclaimer: These experiences are based on the example I bought. Hopefully all of them will be just as good, but that isn't a guaranty.

As usual, please ask any questions you like and I'll do my best to answer them and/or provide additional images. I hope you enjoyed reading my thoughts on the new SOG Snippet.
:multi:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 05:39:53 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
 :like:
Looks like SOG is upping their game.
I've been looking forward to a write-up on the Snippet, since I like scissor-oriented multi-tools. Thanks! :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
:like:
Looks like SOG is upping their game.
I've been looking forward to a write-up on the Snippet, since I like scissor-oriented multi-tools. Thanks! :cheers:
Thanks for the kind words, RP! :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Boy am I glad I bought it. The Snippet(at least the one I bought) is a cutting beast.
I REALLY like the finger-guard setup after using it on the Snippet.

I am glad you bought it, too. :D
My main concerns were the cutting ability and the manual operation.

The on-board tools are updated from the popular CrossCut 2.0 as well. The blade has been changed a bit, with a longer length, a bit more robust look and more belly on the edge. The file/nail-cleaner has been changed from a straight line cut file to a cross-cut file. The file is the best one SOG has put on a tool in a long time, as it is reasonably aggressive and well-cut. Larger and longer Lg. flat driver. Thinner and slimmer tweezers that make them easier to use than the giant steel slab tweezers on the CrossCut. Bottle opener/glasses flat driver are quite similar.

They added a nice size pocket clip as well, which I am not sure I'd ever use on such a small tool, but it's there. It does have the standard SOG lanyard ring attachment on one of the tool-pivot screws like some other SOG models.

The finger guards also act, with their configuration, to prevent the handles from folding back if the jaws get jammed. opening-force in the guards makes the jaws open without manipulating the handles. A very innovative design in the scissor-keychain MT class.

Good blade, good file :woohoo: Even a pocket-clip!
My CrossCut tweezers are not bad, though.  :think: I have three, one of which USA made, and all have decent tweezers, I'd say better than the Micra's.

So, with all of the cool stuff mentioned, lets get to some stuff that may be a turn-off for some people.

The design is not conventional, so many are going to have an issue with the non spring-loaded blades and finger-guards. The guards LOOK thin and weak, but they have a strong spring-temper and should hold their shape with normal use. The appearance will be a turn off for some.

I do not mind a different approach, I welcome it. And the guards sound fine. I think people were worried about these the most. The appearance is fine for me. I could do with fewer logos, but it works.

Who do I recommend this tool to?

People who need a realistically sized set of keychain MT scissors, who like real scissors more than sprung mini-scissors. Someone who is looking for an alternative to the Micra and Gerber scissor tools.  Someone who needs a more robust, and easier to use, tool for extended periods of time.

I like scissor multi-tools. And these does not have the gears to dig into me.

EDIT: This tool is better off in large hands. Smaller hands would take more time to get accustomed to using the new design, because of the fixed guard-positions.
.[/size] :multi:

I've got large hands, so that's nice to hear.

I think I'll go for this. :cheers:
I am pleased to see SOG coming up with a design that tries something new, that also works properly. And it's scissors. I like scissors.  :tu:
The price is right, and the other implements seem alright.
Thanks again for the write-up! :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
An interesting tool and one I will give an extra look at now :cheers: :like: Thanks for taking the time to do the write up and taking the pics :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
I am glad you bought it, too. :D
My main concerns were the cutting ability and the manual operation.

Good blade, good file :woohoo: Even a pocket-clip!
My CrossCut tweezers are not bad, though.  :think: I have three, one of which USA made, and all have decent tweezers, I'd say better than the Micra's.

I do not mind a different approach, I welcome it. And the guards sound fine. I think people were worried about these the most. The appearance is fine for me. I could do with fewer logos, but it works.

I like scissor multi-tools. And these does not have the gears to dig into me.

I've got large hands, so that's nice to hear.

I think I'll go for this. :cheers:
I am pleased to see SOG coming up with a design that tries something new, that also works properly. And it's scissors. I like scissors.  :tu:
The price is right, and the other implements seem alright.
Thanks again for the write-up! :salute:
You're quite welcome, RP! :cheers:
Thanks for the thoughts about the Snippet. :tu:
Indeed, I have enjoyed seeing SOG leading the big MT makers in innovation and design. If the Snippet is a sign of changing direction with QC, then that would be even better.  :)
I'd accept a bit less refinement of aesthetics to get something that works properly.  :multi:

An interesting tool and one I will give an extra look at now :cheers: :like: Thanks for taking the time to do the write up and taking the pics :cheers:
You're quite welcome as well. And thank you as well for the kind words.

A couple of side-by-side photos of the US CrossGrip, US CrossCut, China CrossCut 2.0 and China Snippet.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Thanks for the insights  :salute: Interesting to see some genuine improvements at SOG, rather than just more new and innovative ways to disappoint.  :tu:

Based on their track record, and my own personal experiences, I'll give a couple of years proving time at least, before I take any more chances on their products. If people are still using them and liking them after a couple of years, then I might consider them worth a chance.  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Thanks for the insights  :salute: Interesting to see some genuine improvements at SOG, rather than just more new and innovative ways to disappoint.  :tu:

Based on their track record, and my own personal experiences, I'll give a couple of years proving time at least, before I take any more chances on their products. If people are still using them and liking them after a couple of years, then I might consider them worth a chance.  :cheers:
You're quite welcome, AW! :cheers:

I can't disagree with your stance on SOG. The PowerDuo, PowerPlay, Reactor, PowerGrab, Power Access and Access Deluxe have been pretty poor follow-ups to the reliable and robust PowerLock, PowerAssist, PocketPowerPlier, and ParaTool.
The PowerPlay alone is enough to dissuade many users.
That is what us collectors are here for. To spend money on tools and find out where companies are at, so many end-users don't have to experience a tool fail.  :rofl:

I am sure hoping SOG gets their QC and alpha/beta testing standards straightened out with the other tools in the line. There just isn't much a poorly-executed, awesome-design can do for them in the long run. The Baton and Sync series are the two best innovative series I think have fairly good QC, but not to the level of LM and Gerber QC. Though, it seems, most of the companies are letting QC drop a bit(though not to the level of SOG). LM, Gerber and Victorinox have let QC slip lately. My new TTi has file and PE blade rub(not enough to bother me as a user-tool though). The BO Center-Drivr has slightly misaligned pliers tips. My new Vic Nomad has lockup play in the two locking implements. I would rather pay a bit more and not have to see this kind of mess. :ahhh

/rant
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 05:59:56 PM by gerleatherberman »

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Will it cut paracord cleanly?
- Steve

• Zombie Apprentice
Will it cut paracord cleanly?
Will check in a bit. :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Top - Near tip of scissors - took a couple of nips to cut cleab.
Middle - Mid section of scissors - clean with two squeezes.
Bottom - Base of scissors - clean one pass.

Edit: Better performance than the SOG CrossCut, better performance than the Leatherman Micra, and similar performance to the Gerber Splice.
Tried using 91mm SAK scissors, but they don't have enough leverage for the stuff I was cutting.

This is pretty thick paracord. Thicker than what most of us would generally use.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 01:29:08 AM by gerleatherberman »

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Top - Near tip of scissors - took a couple of nips to cut cleab.
Middle - Mid section of scissors - clean with two squeezes.
Bottom - Base of scissors - clean one pass.

Edit: Better performance than the SOG CrossCut, better performance than the Leatherman Micra, and similar performance to the Gerber Splice.
Tried using 91mm SAK scissors, but they don't have enough leverage for the stuff I was cutting.

This is pretty thick paracord. Thicker than what most of us would generally use.
Thanks, I have not been impressed with my Crosscut.
- Steve

• Zombie Apprentice
 :hatsoff:

I have gotten a lot of use from my CrossCut, but dang it takes a lot of technique to cut some stuff.  :ahhh

The Snippet isn't the end-all be-all of scissor tools, but the finger guard system is really good. Especially if you are used to regular scissors.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Very interesting looking tool!  :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Nice to see a scissor tool come out swinging for the fences.  Lots of different material cut and it performed well.  My biggest complaint with scissor tools are the softer material folding or needing 3 and 4 nibbles to get thru.  Harder materials needing more leverage is also a challenge for many scissors.  Nice write up  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Very true, Aloha! Thanks! :cheers:

The Snippet did well with the paper towel and micro fiber cloth, which those can be a challenge for many other types of MT scissors. I may give it a go with some fiber rope, plastic wrap and twine at some point. Those can be a real problem for some Micras. :ahhh

• Zombie Apprentice
Very interesting looking tool!  :tu:
Thank you, Pabs! :cheers:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Great write up GLBM  :cheers: :like:
I would like to see a MT with side cutters especially made for electricians  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Jute has given many a scissors a good run.  Also the plastic twine too.  Its like many strands of fishing line twisted.  I use the wire cutter on my squirt and juice to cut zip ties. 

I like the looks of this scissor tool.  I try to be a Micra fan but I just cannot get along with it.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I may have missed the part about the pocket clip  :dunno:
https://youtu.be/iWTaJfKM2I0
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Thanks for your great review- it looks like a good addition to my EDC sideclip  :tu:

Maybe I will buy one of these...

• Zombie Apprentice
Thank you for the kind words and information, guys! :cheers:

I'll try it on some jute at some point and see how it does. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%