Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Changing carry habits

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Changing carry habits
on: April 01, 2019, 02:31:03 PM
I've finally started wearing belt sheaths.

For years they were a hazard for me. In a marine environment, or heavy engineering environment, they were a snag hazard. Aside from the safety aspect, they were also damn annoying. You go to sit down, and the sheath has slid round to the next belt loop, and either digs in your back or your thigh, depending on the belt loop configuration, and how you choose to wear it. You go to the loo, undo your belt, and the weight of the sheath pulls your belt out of the first loop, and your multitool hits the deck, and scoots under the partition into the next cubicle  :facepalm: So for the last 10 years or so, I got into the habit of pocket carrying everything. It was just safer that way.

Since I've stopped working, I no longer want pockets full of stuff. It's unnecessary and uncomfortable. Yet multitools still make life easier - providing I haven't taken it out of my pocket and left it in a different room (which I found myself doing that far too often.  :facepalm:) so I decided to try sheath carry again. Sadly, the tool falling off the belt in the bathroom, and it migrating around the belt between belt loops, was still bloody annoying. So I added a S biner. I wear the sheath on the belt as normal, but also clip it to the belt loop I want it to stay next to. No more migrating between belt loops, no more bathroom Houdini routines, no more pockets full of stuff. It's fixed everything.

Another change has been with torches. I found myself basically sticking to three torches that had pocket clips, and ignoring everything else. That's changed too. I've started using a long lanyard, cow hitched on the belt, with the torch in a pocket. It's just as easy to reach for a torch, with the added benefit of not having to bend down to pick it up if I drop it (which can be awkward with a balance disorder). So this has not just allowed the rest of my lights back as carry options, but added an extra layer of practicality (for me) too.

I've also started wearing waistcoats more around the house. The extra pockets, and the fact those pockets don't do horizontal when you sit down, has reduced the amount of times I have to go fishing around down the side of cushions to find where my pocket knife fell out this time.  ::)

Another thing that stopping work has let me do, is start carrying smaller knives. I do still carry all the ones I used to, but can now (most days anyway) get away with carrying something smaller instead. It's been really nice to start using a few things that just weren't practical to carry before, and the waistcoat pocket carry works really well with the smaller blades. A 40mm-50mm blade just wasn't enough knife before, but now it works so much better, and I've finally been able to start carrying a few nice items that I bought years ago, but which have been confined to the drawer for far too long.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Changing carry habits
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 02:46:29 PM
Adapting to what works now :like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 03:16:31 PM
I realize that this may sound silly but what exactly is a Waist Coat?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 03:20:20 PM
Adapting to what works now :like:

:salute:

The S biner on the pouch/belt loop has made the biggest difference. So nice to get the weight of a pliers tool out of the pocket, without losing function, or putting myself at risk of entanglement on machinery or engine bay components.

I realize that this may sound silly but what exactly is a Waist Coat?

You probably know it as a vest. The third piece of a three piece suit. Over here, a vest is something worn under a shirt.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 03:32:27 PM
I don't like to keep a lot in my pockets.  Well, what I dont like is the times sitting on the bottom of my pocket.  Suspending things just so they are safe within the pocket is great so long as they don't just sit there.  I had to laugh a bit when you described the MT sheath and loo.  The belt loop spacing on certain pants is something to consider.  Certain sheaths do work themselves around to the next loop.  I don't mind a sheath on my belt for the most part.  How it sits is most important.  High riding sheaths are a no go for me.  I'm a thin guy but they can still poke and reaching for my tool is not as fluid as I'd like. 

I like to carry about the 4ish o'clock position for some items and the 6ish o'clock for others.  I'm a lefty but I manage well with both hands.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 06:47:54 PM
I don't like to keep a lot in my pockets.  Well, what I dont like is the times sitting on the bottom of my pocket.  Suspending things just so they are safe within the pocket is great so long as they don't just sit there.  I had to laugh a bit when you described the MT sheath and loo.  The belt loop spacing on certain pants is something to consider.  Certain sheaths do work themselves around to the next loop.  I don't mind a sheath on my belt for the most part.  How it sits is most important.  High riding sheaths are a no go for me.  I'm a thin guy but they can still poke and reaching for my tool is not as fluid as I'd like. 

I like to carry about the 4ish o'clock position for some items and the 6ish o'clock for others.  I'm a lefty but I manage well with both hands.

If I wore the pouch that far round, I might have had issues with it disappearing round the u bend, rather than scooting into the next cubicle :D I tend to wear it about the three o'clock position, either just before, or just after the second belt loop on most trousers.

I generally don't mind stuff in the bottom of the pocket, so long as it doesn't dig into my leg, or make lots of noise when I walk. I did get very used to having a lot of stuff in my pockets though. The torch on the long lanyard lies at the bottom of the pocket, as otherwise I'd have the light on too short a lanyard, restricting my movement with it, and trying to turn it on might make me look like I'm doing something obscene.  :ahhh I prefer it to be around the same length as the long key chains, you know, the ones that let you unlock the door while they're still attached to your belt loop.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 05:38:42 PM
:salute:

The S biner on the pouch/belt loop has made the biggest difference. So nice to get the weight of a pliers tool out of the pocket, without losing function, or putting myself at risk of entanglement on machinery or engine bay components.

You probably know it as a vest. The third piece of a three piece suit. Over here, a vest is something worn under a shirt.

This:

Pretty fancy, too!

8) 8)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 05:44:16 PM
Personally I got tired of having a sheath on my belt because I kept bumping into things with it and it looked bad when I had to have client meetings.

So I switched it around completely; and just have a 111mm SAK in my pocket as my edc and then carry my Surge on the belt of my work pants.

I have been doing this for the past 2 - 3 weeks now and so far I am pretty happy with this solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 05:53:39 PM
I only use horizontal belt sheaths. I learnt that trick from biking and it's even more important for car use. I make my own sheaths and they are designed to be tight on the belt. Tight enough that they don't shift, full stop. I had to wear my LM sheath last week, it was moving all over the place. I had to adjust it constantly, was rather annoying.

Oh and I wish I could wear waistcoats but I'm rather 'economy sized' to be able to pull it off. Oh for my youth...  :rofl:
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 05:56:28 PM
This:

(Image removed from quote.)

Pretty fancy, too!

8) 8)

As shown in another thread, I have these four waistcoats for casual/ semi casual wear...

... plus these three bodywarmers/gillets

I do have another four waistcoats, but they're for formal wear only (marcella, satin, etc.)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 06:00:32 PM
Personally I got tired of having a sheath on my belt because I kept bumping into things with it and it looked bad when I had to have client meetings.

So I switched it around completely; and just have a 111mm SAK in my pocket as my edc and then carry my Surge on the belt of my work pants.

I have been doing this for the past 2 - 3 weeks now and so far I am pretty happy with this solution.

Yeah, I don't like the look of sheaths either. I'd have never worn them while working, and they've only become an acceptable (to me) option since I'm home most of the time. I might consider keeping it on when leaving the house if I'm wearing a long enough jacket to cover it, but would otherwise pick a different carry method away from home, to avoid the wannabe Batman look.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 06:01:25 PM
I'm actually playing with the idea of going the other direction. Now that my EDC knife is a single layer homemade 91mm SAK, total cost about 17 quid (considerably less if I mod a used SAK), I'm wondering why I'm bothering with the sheath. The tool is small, light and heck, at that price it's practically disposable. Why not just chuck it in my pocket? That said, a sheath just works. I might make me a smaller one specifically for this SAK. My current sheath is designed for slightly bigger knives.

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 06:04:06 PM
Yeah, I don't like the look of sheaths either. I'd have never worn them while working, and they've only become an acceptable (to me) option since I'm home most of the time. I might consider keeping it on when leaving the house if I'm wearing a long enough jacket to cover it, but would otherwise pick a different carry method away from home, to avoid the wannabe Batman look.

Have you tried a horizontal sheath? My shirt mushroom covers mine up most of the time.  :D :D :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 06:07:53 PM
I only use horizontal belt sheaths. I learnt that trick from biking and it's even more important for car use. I make my own sheaths and they are designed to be tight on the belt. Tight enough that they don't shift, full stop. I had to wear my LM sheath last week, it was moving all over the place. I had to adjust it constantly, was rather annoying.

Oh and I wish I could wear waistcoats but I'm rather 'economy sized' to be able to pull it off. Oh for my youth...  :rofl:

How far round do you wear a horizontal sheath?

I have tried horizontal carry, but found there was a higher chance of dropsies - either opening the flap and the tool falls out before I've grabbed it, or trying to get the damn thing back in there. Also, if you do happen to brush against something and pull the flap open, with vertical carry, the tool is more likely to stay put. Just my own experience.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 06:14:43 PM

Yeah that’s the thing, sort of like people who carry their cellphones in a belt sheath, it not only looks odd from “the eye of the public” and can attract the wrong attention, but it’s also extremely awkward if you are on public transport where you usually have to stand / sit really close to someone.

That’s why I switched over to a pocket carry instead

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 06:19:54 PM
I'm actually playing with the idea of going the other direction. Now that my EDC knife is a single layer homemade 91mm SAK, total cost about 17 quid (considerably less if I mod a used SAK), I'm wondering why I'm bothering with the sheath. The tool is small, light and heck, at that price it's practically disposable. Why not just chuck it in my pocket? That said, a sheath just works. I might make me a smaller one specifically for this SAK. My current sheath is designed for slightly bigger knives.

I'll only wear one sheath, even round the house. So it's knife in the pocket, and pliers tool on the belt, or vise versa. If I choose to wear the knife on the belt, I've got quite a nice sheath to use. It'll take a traditional folder, or a thin Swiss knife such as a Spartan or Compact, and came with its own mini sharpening steel. When my knives start to dull, I usually give them a once over with a steel first (even if I'm not using this sheath). That often brings the edge back, and minimises the metal removal I need to do over time. I've gone a couple of months at a time without needing to take a knife to a stone.
IMG_20190402_170957_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190402_170957_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 29.41 KB)
IMG_20190402_171013_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190402_171013_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 44.99 KB)
IMG_20190402_171031_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190402_171031_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 41.11 KB)

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 06:22:18 PM
How far round do you wear a horizontal sheath?

I have tried horizontal carry, but found there was a higher chance of dropsies - either opening the flap and the tool falls out before I've grabbed it, or trying to get the damn thing back in there. Also, if you do happen to brush against something and pull the flap open, with vertical carry, the tool is more likely to stay put. Just my own experience.

I have it on my right side, under my arm at 3 o'clock if that makes sense? I don't find stuff catches on it to open, I design them snug to the belt even at the top but my sheaths are tight enough that stuff won't fall out even if the sheath did open. Not just my homemade ones but also my LM Charge sheath (which is very tight actually). I always put a second snap on my homemade sheaths (sort of my trademark) because I like feeling more secure. :) Reinserting just works, never found it a problem if you always know where the sheath is on your belt, i.e. if it's not moving all over the shop.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 06:32:59 PM
I have it on my right side, under my arm at 3 o'clock if that makes sense? I don't find stuff catches on it to open, I design them snug to the belt even at the top but my sheaths are tight enough that stuff won't fall out even if the sheath did open. Not just my homemade ones but also my LM Charge sheath (which is very tight actually). I always put a second snap on my homemade sheaths (sort of my trademark) because I like feeling more secure. :) Reinserting just works, never found it a problem if you always know where the sheath is on your belt, i.e. if it's not moving all over the shop.

I know what you mean. I never stuck at it (horizontal carry) long enough for familiarity to help :D I think if I was going to make my own, I'd go for the flap down the long edge, so it would still be top opening when worn horizontally.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 06:52:28 PM
I know what you mean. I never stuck at it (horizontal carry) long enough for familiarity to help :D I think if I was going to make my own, I'd go for the flap down the long edge, so it would still be top opening when worn horizontally.

Yup what you've mentioned is a better idea overall. I'm designing one like that currently, with a round hole in the bottom just large enough to stick a finger up and in to push the tool out. You don't have any space to pull out the tool otherwise, nothing to grip onto. In fact I literally just ordered a panel of leather with that design in mind.  :cheers:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 06:58:34 PM
Here's where I got the idea from (not my pic, found it on google somewhere). I think there's quite a bit of room for aesthetic improvement however. :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 07:14:46 PM
I look forward to seeing what you come up with  :tu:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 07:22:33 PM
I look forward to seeing what you come up with  :tu:

What tool are you carrying on your belt? If I get the design working OK I'll knock you one up. Be warned, might take a while though, I'm in the middle of a new business venture.  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: April 02, 2019, 08:00:25 PM
What tool are you carrying on your belt? If I get the design working OK I'll knock you one up. Be warned, might take a while though, I'm in the middle of a new business venture.  :cheers:

Very kind of you, Ben, but I'm actually starting to dabble with that myself :D I've got about 1/4 side of tooling leather, plus a box full of coloured offcuts from an upholstery maker  :tu: It's one of the few armchair hobby type things that I can dip in and out of when health permits  :)

Although, if I do make a complete hash of it, I might take you up on your offer later  :P :rofl:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 02, 2019, 08:05:06 PM
Very kind of you, Ben, but I'm actually starting to dabble with that myself :D I've got about 1/4 side of tooling leather, plus a box full of coloured offcuts from an upholstery maker  :tu: It's one of the few armchair hobby type things that I can dip in and out of when health permits  :)

Although, if I do make a complete hash of it, I might take you up on your offer later  :P :rofl:

Nice! I've used Leather4craft.co.uk for leather to date. Good supplier with some nice higher end stuff. Not cheap particularly but free postage.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: April 02, 2019, 08:12:09 PM
Nice! I've used Leather4craft.co.uk for leather to date. Good supplier with some nice high end stuff. Not cheap but free postage.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out  :tu: I've got the basic stuff I need, and am just waiting for some more thread coming in. I'm going for functional rather than decorative, as my vision ain't good enough to see if the tip of the needle/awl is actually where I think it is, so my stitching will likely be ugly but bombproof  :P

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 02, 2019, 08:13:48 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out  :tu: I've got the basic stuff I need, and am just waiting for some more thread coming in. I'm going for functional rather than decorative, as my vision ain't good enough to see if the tip of the needle/awl is actually where I think it is, so my stitching will likely be ugly but bombproof  :P

Good luck!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #26 on: April 04, 2019, 08:07:59 PM
Nice thread!!  :)
In my experience horizontally carried sheaths have a much less chance of moving or sliding off/falling to the ground than vertical carry systems, the friction is usually higher.

I like horizontal carry, and most days I wear a minimum of two sheaths on the belt, usually 4. I always try to compensate and balance both sides of the hips  :ahhh, so if I carry a sheath at 4 o'clock I put the other one at 7 to 8 o'clock, and if I have 2 sheaths on one side, I put two on the other (or a bigger, heavier loaded one on the other end)  :dunno:

the vertical and horizontal compatible sheaths are my favorite kind, snap over velcro is prefered, and leather over nylon or cordura  :like:

my folders and knives ride in the pockets always, the pouches and belt carry are for smartphone, pliers tools, some SAKs, lights, keys and other gear (loupes, tweezers, prybars...) and they always get covered but he shirt, T-shirt, jacket or work vest  :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 09:05:25 PM
Nice one, Pea.  :tu:

I had assumed you carried a bag around with such a high tool count everyday.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 04, 2019, 09:41:38 PM
Nice thread!!  :)
In my experience horizontally carried sheaths have a much less chance of moving or sliding off/falling to the ground than vertical carry systems, the friction is usually higher.

I like horizontal carry, and most days I wear a minimum of two sheaths on the belt, usually 4. I always try to compensate and balance both sides of the hips  :ahhh, so if I carry a sheath at 4 o'clock I put the other one at 7 to 8 o'clock, and if I have 2 sheaths on one side, I put two on the other (or a bigger, heavier loaded one on the other end)  :dunno:

the vertical and horizontal compatible sheaths are my favorite kind, snap over velcro is prefered, and leather over nylon or cordura  :like:

my folders and knives ride in the pockets always, the pouches and belt carry are for smartphone, pliers tools, some SAKs, lights, keys and other gear (loupes, tweezers, prybars...) and they always get covered but he shirt, T-shirt, jacket or work vest  :salute:

Needs more sheaths!

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #29 on: April 04, 2019, 10:51:56 PM
This is a great thread. Thanks for all the info, guys! :cheers:
I'll post a pic of what a friend made for me later. It holds a Surge and the accessories with being as snug to the belt as possible. Quick release as well. A great concept I think will be appreciated. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%