Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Foursevens Quark Tactical heads!

Dan B · 28 · 1389

us Offline Dan B

Foursevens Quark Tactical heads!
on: April 02, 2019, 03:09:56 AM
After a while of careful watching and waiting I finally scored a pair of Foursevens Quark Tactical heads. In particular these are the Gen 2 QT2L-X, the last and best ones made before all the legal shenanigans went down.

Here they are with the old QT2L head that they are replacing.

I'm curious, does anyone else have any lights that they love which for one reason or another are no longer available?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Foursevens Quark Tactical heads!
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 12:57:34 PM
OK, school me :D I am not very light savvy and I don't know the difference between these and regular heads :think: and what legal shenanigans :ahhh :D

They look nice :like:  what are the benefits of these :think: Sorry of you posted this somewhere else and I missed it :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 01:04:01 PM
OK, school me :D I am not very light savvy and I don't know the difference between these and regular heads :think: and what legal shenanigans :ahhh :D

They look nice :like:  what are the benefits of these :think: Sorry of you posted this somewhere else and I missed it :D

I know none of this either. All I know, is they look quite different to mine.
IMG_20190403_120141_1600_1200.jpg
* IMG_20190403_120141_1600_1200.jpg (Filesize: 82.13 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Dan B

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 01:14:44 PM
I'll work on getting a big explanation posted this afternoon when I get home from work, but the things that I love the most about these are that they have the highest output of the Quark Tacticals and the don't have something called pre-flash when going into low mode.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 01:43:02 PM
I don't think that any of my lights have anything resembling a 'bright flash' when going into low mode. :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Dan B

Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 01:50:32 PM
I don't think that any of my lights have anything resembling a 'bright flash' when going into low mode. :think:
It was a problem that was unique to the older generation Quark lights.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 02:14:36 PM
Essentially what happened was that SureFire sued 4/7 claiming a breach of their Intellectual Property regarding the User Interface designed into the operation of the Quark lights.
SF won a Judgement and 4/7 was forced to redesign and rethink the way the User Interface of the Quark line worked.

This is what led eventually to David Chow the founder of 4/7 to sell the company which is now owned by the owner of Prometheus Lights.

That is the short version.

I have a few Streamlights with terrible Pre Flash as well.
Ironic to me is that the worst is the so called EMS light which is supposed to be useful for EMS responders to administer Eye Exams as needed?
I guess it is not a problem as long as your Low Level Eye Exam isn't started with a Blinding Flash somehow? :facepalm:

us Offline Dan B

Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 02:34:17 PM

Essentially what happened was that SureFire sued 4/7 claiming a breach of their Intellectual Property regarding the User Interface designed into the operation of the Quark lights.
SF won a Judgement and 4/7 was forced to redesign and rethink the way the User Interface of the Quark line worked.

This is what led eventually to David Chow the founder of 4/7 to sell the company which is now owned by the owner of Prometheus Lights.

Ironic to me is that the worst is the so called EMS light which is supposed to be useful for EMS responders to administer Eye Exams as needed?
I guess it is not a problem as long as your Low Level Eye Exam isn't started with a Blinding Flash somehow? :facepalm:

That's pretty much what happened. My own opinion is that the patent should have never been granted for a number of reasons, but we won't go down that particular rabbit hole today.

Suffice it to say that this is the reason why rotating the head as a means of changing a flashlight's mode suddenly disappeared and everyone went to side buttons.

It's interesting to hear that Streamlight was having some of the same pre-flash issues. I had never heard of it in another light.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 03:41:59 PM

That's pretty much what happened. My own opinion is that the patent should have never been granted for a number of reasons, but we won't go down that particular rabbit hole today.

Suffice it to say that this is the reason why rotating the head as a means of changing a flashlight's mode suddenly disappeared and everyone went to side buttons.

It's interesting to hear that Streamlight was having some of the same pre-flash issues. I had never heard of it in another light.

First, I'm probably mistaken here, mixing together different things. :doh:
That said....
Isn't the above bolded text basically a "twisty" light, like you see on many AAA lights? Or is it a different thing entirely?

All hail the hook!

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 04:18:56 PM

By the end 4/7 also had some QC issues. I remember some of their models exploding or bursting into flames
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 04:47:33 PM
-snip-

I'm curious, does anyone else have any lights that they love which for one reason or another are no longer available?

The fenix LD01 is a favorite of mine that is no longer made. I've been carrying this one for 6-7 years I think now. I also have two NIB ones in reserve
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Dan B

Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 05:18:55 PM
First, I'm probably mistaken here, mixing together different things. :doh:
That said....
Isn't the above bolded text basically a "twisty" light, like you see on many AAA lights? Or is it a different thing entirely?
Not exactly. That's just using twisting the head. If you read the Surefire patent it says "the portable lighting system may be operated using a push-button switch, a rotatable potentiometer, or other appropriate types of user control interfaces."

If you want to read the patent for yourself I believe this is the applicable one, but that's just me looking at the various patents that Surefire has and finding the one that sounds like it would apply.

https://patents.justia.com/patent/9144130#history

us Offline Dan B

Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 05:22:31 PM
By the end 4/7 also had some QC issues. I remember some of their models exploding or bursting into flames
I've heard of issues with their Quark Smart lights. They got too cute with that one anyway and I didn't understand why until a couple of years later when I found out about the patent issues.

us Offline Dan B

Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 05:23:39 PM
The fenix LD01 is a favorite of mine that is no longer made. I've been carrying this one for 6-7 years I think now. I also have two NIB ones in reserve
It's always good to have a few in reserve, isn't it?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 07:35:09 PM
Thanks for the explanations guys :cheers:

I have never really heard of these lights and didn't really know anything about them  :salute:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 08:43:10 PM
Thanks for the explanations guys :cheers:

I have never really heard of these lights and didn't really know anything about them  :salute:
Ditto.  :iagree:
4/7 are completely new to me.

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 09:36:22 PM
My 4sevens Quark (pictured above) has been a very solid performer for several years now, and is my most carried light. I think most if not all of my lights are discontinued or superceded now.

us Offline Dan B

Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 03:39:55 AM
Sorry, y'all. I was going to do a video tonight all about these lights but being daddy got in the way. It might be the weekend before I can get it done.  I did get it all set up though so I'll give y'all a teaser shot of that!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 09:23:15 AM
Looking good!  :tu:

All hail the hook!

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 02:35:36 PM
I've heard of issues with their Quark Smart lights. They got too cute with that one anyway and I didn't understand why until a couple of years later when I found out about the patent issues.

yea, shame they went down. to be fair they were the only proper competition Fenix had before Zebras and Olights came into their own. not to say they weren't good but they weren't known by as many people.

all I'm glad to see them back. and being a daddy comes first. I think everyone here would agree that the yungins take precedence over a bunch of guys and gals drooling over gadges, gizmos and other fun things
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Dan B

Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 03:48:36 AM
Alright! I got the video done. 

https://youtu.be/mYffJyM9kQk

I'm not entirely satisfied with it but oh well, you'll get the important stuff.  Also, you'll notice not only how the packaging changes over time, but also the different markings that are on some of the lights.

Enjoy!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 06:54:20 AM
Been busy the last few days and just now getting back to this :ahhh Thanks for the pics, Dan and thanks for the shout out in the video :tu: Great stuff and thanks for that :tu: :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: April 07, 2019, 12:30:42 PM
Great video, Dan  :cheers:

I've not noticed any pre-flash on mine, but then again, I don't have it programmed at the lower levels. I might see how low I can set it without getting that.

Could you confirm if mine (shown in reply #2) is the original version, please? I have both the single and double AA tubes for it, but gave the CR123 tube away. Would I be right in assuming from your video that I can run one of those 14500s on the single AA tube?

us Offline Dan B

Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 03:28:30 AM

Great video, Dan  :cheers:

I've not noticed any pre-flash on mine, but then again, I don't have it programmed at the lower levels. I might see how low I can set it without getting that.

Could you confirm if mine (shown in reply #2) is the original version, please? I have both the single and double AA tubes for it, but gave the CR123 tube away. Would I be right in assuming from your video that I can run one of those 14500s on the single AA tube?

Thank you for the kind words.  I made another video for you to answer your question, but the short answer is yes.

https://youtu.be/dItAp2kQfBI

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: April 10, 2019, 03:37:54 AM

Thank you for the kind words.  I made another video for you to answer your question, but the short answer is yes.

https://youtu.be/dItAp2kQfBI

Excellent! Many thanks, Dan.  :tu: I've owned that light for so long, and any paperwork that came with it is long since discarded, that it was safer me to ask someone with the facts, than risk causing damage  :salute:

us Offline Dan B

Reply #25 on: April 10, 2019, 03:44:29 AM
Could you confirm if mine (shown in reply #2) is the original version, please?

It's definitely an older one.  The ones towards the end were called "Quark X Tactical."  However they had several generations along the way which were mostly LED changes.  At some point they changed to a larger LED and had to make the hole in the reflector larger.  If you look on the older ones you will see a small flange on the back of the reflector whereas the later ones suddenly end.  I think that this happened before the switch in nomenclature, but right now my daughter is reading herself to sleep with the one light that I have from that period so I'll have to check later.

If you want to know more about what LED's they were using and when, I'd look at their website through archive.org's "Wayback Machine."

us Offline Dan B

Reply #26 on: April 10, 2019, 03:45:22 AM

Excellent! Many thanks, Dan.  :tu: I've owned that light for so long, and any paperwork that came with it is long since discarded, that it was safer me to ask someone with the facts, than risk causing damage  :salute:

No problem!  I'm glad I could help you!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 03:57:39 AM

It's definitely an older one.  The ones towards the end were called "Quark X Tactical."  However they had several generations along the way which were mostly LED changes.  At some point they changed to a larger LED and had to make the hole in the reflector larger.  If you look on the older ones you will see a small flange on the back of the reflector whereas the later ones suddenly end.  I think that this happened before the switch in nomenclature, but right now my daughter is reading herself to sleep with the one light that I have from that period so I'll have to check later.

If you want to know more about what LED's they were using and when, I'd look at their website through archive.org's "Wayback Machine."

You've told me everything I need to know, Dan  :salute: The type of emitter would be meaningless to me :D I know it's a warm white, but that's it. I've been using it with 2xAA for many years, and it's been a great light, and has tolerated a lot of hard use, in very unforgiving environments. It's a shame they got caught up in all the shenanigans.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD