Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MT with wire cutters at the tip?

Offline earthman

MT with wire cutters at the tip?
on: April 14, 2019, 04:39:26 PM
Has anyone seen a multi tool such as a Leatherman Wave or whatever model you can think of that has a proper pair of wire cutters on the end? OK, I realise that you would then loose the plier aspect of the tool so maybe that's why I've never seen such a design? Any demand for such a tool, probably not??

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: MT with wire cutters at the tip?
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 05:15:12 PM
There are many tools dedicated to being used by electricians, but even tools designed for electricians have the wire cutter at the end closer to the pivot so you can apply more force without risking breaking the jaws of the tool.  There are tools that are shears or scissor based instead of pliers based but they are not meant for cutting heavy gauge wire.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAS-Iberia-Hanwei-Silver-Stainless-Steel-4-3-4-Professional-Multitool-1008-GT/123332369547?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D054804e9c73a41028792c9850e2cda5d%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D14%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D192639645135%26itm%3D123332369547&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Adba53216-5ec7-11e9-8099-74dbd1808b7a%7Cparentrq%3A1c6910b516a0a9c10d6c73bbfffa998d%7Ciid%3A1

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 05:24:25 PM
It would be great if they could make one with side cutters
for electrical wiring and tools that electricians use  :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

Offline earthman

Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 08:01:18 PM
There are many tools dedicated to being used by electricians, but even tools designed for electricians have the wire cutter at the end closer to the pivot so you can apply more force without risking breaking the jaws of the tool.  There are tools that are shears or scissor based instead of pliers based but they are not meant for cutting heavy gauge wire.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAS-Iberia-Hanwei-Silver-Stainless-Steel-4-3-4-Professional-Multitool-1008-GT/123332369547?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D054804e9c73a41028792c9850e2cda5d%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D14%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D192639645135%26itm%3D123332369547&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Adba53216-5ec7-11e9-8099-74dbd1808b7a%7Cparentrq%3A1c6910b516a0a9c10d6c73bbfffa998d%7Ciid%3A1

That's an interesting design, just had a thought, the pliers and shears idea on this could actually be switched around.

I'd keep the pliers where they traditionally are on my Swisstool etc, just add a small pair of swing out side cutters. :)

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 09:08:27 AM
Actually I just saw this in one of the generic brands at Walmart the other day.

It was a version of the SwitchGrip mechinism that had needlenose, diagonal cutters, and a standard pst type tool loadout in the spare space on the end of the handle.
I dont remember the brand; it may or may not have been Sheffield.

For those not familiar with this switchgrip style here's a random sellers pic of the normal non multitool version

Edit:
I do believe Gerber once offered diagonal cutters in one of their discontinued MultiPlier variants. I am shure sombody who knows more on them will come along
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:15:30 AM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 05:50:09 AM
was it this one? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sheffield-Sh-14-In-1-Flip-Head-Multi-Tool/377492209
I bought one of these. Absolutely terrible. The worst MT I've ever spent money on. :facepalm:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 05:51:50 AM

Edit:
I do believe Gerber once offered diagonal cutters in one of their discontinued MultiPlier variants. I am shure sombody who knows more on them will come along

The Cable Cutter MP600. Rare and expensive. And only usable on soft electrical wire. :ahhh

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 11:57:32 AM
I bought one of these. Absolutely terrible. The worst MT I've ever spent money on. :facepalm:

:ahhh I too have one. Its the flip and grip brand. I think one is a needle nose and the other is a Blunt nose. Sounds great until u realise the Blunt nose due to the flipping mechanism, cannot close all the way leaving a 5mm gap at the tip. The tools are schrade tough tool style lock but quality are all nonsense.  :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 12:02:28 PM
:ahhh I too have one. Its the flip and grip brand. I think one is a needle nose and the other is a Blunt nose. Sounds great until u realise the Blunt nose due to the flipping mechanism, cannot close all the way leaving a 5mm gap at the tip. The tools are schrade tough tool style lock but quality are all nonsense.  :facepalm:
Thanks for the info, Sam! I'll avoid buying the F&G version as well. The Sheffield version doesn't even have tool locks, or even confident spring tension. Even the photo posted earlier shows how crappy the cutter head is. :facepalm:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 12:41:52 PM
Thanks for the info, Sam! I'll avoid buying the F&G version as well. The Sheffield version doesn't even have tool locks, or even confident spring tension. Even the photo posted earlier shows how crappy the cutter head is. :facepalm:

I would have buy one of that if u didn't warn. The "Try Me" wording looks tempting!!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 01:57:27 PM
Edit:

Delving into the dusty recesses of my memory I seem to recall something along the lines of Gerber made a prototype MT with side cutters, but never got into production.  Sure enough, a bit of googling turned this up on MTo (where else ? ).  Scroll down the photos in the first post here to see the innovative double-headed MP600:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=49588.0

I also have a vague memory of an MTo member deciding to make a sidecutter MT himself.  Might have been Bob (j-sews) and might have been on a Gerber MP600 platform (or it might have been someone else altogether and on a totally different brand of MT).  Sorry I can't remember more exact details.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 03:08:22 PM
I would have buy one of that if u didn't warn. The "Try Me" wording looks tempting!!
I know right? I fell for the "try me".  :rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 03:13:12 PM
I also have a vague memory of an MTo member deciding to make a sidecutter MT himself.  Might have been Bob (j-sews) and might have been on a Gerber MP600 platform (or it might have been someone else altogether and on a totally different brand of MT).  Sorry I can't remember more exact details.
It was his custom SOG based PowerCut, I believe, Greg. He built it after SOG decided against releasing the PowerCut. :ahhh

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9765.msg180341.html#msg180341

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 05:34:38 PM
It was his custom SOG based PowerCut, I believe, Greg. He built it after SOG decided against releasing the PowerCut. :ahhh

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9765.msg180341.html#msg180341

That's the one I was partially remembering  :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 06:00:06 PM
As already mentioned in this thread, cutters need to be close to the pivot for mechanical advantage. If pliers aren't needed/wanted in front of the cutters, cut/grind them away :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 02:47:53 PM
That's the one I was partially remembering  :tu:
:cheers:

As already mentioned in this thread, cutters need to be close to the pivot for mechanical advantage. If pliers aren't needed/wanted in front of the cutters, cut/grind them away :)
Not a bad idea, AW! Thank you. :like:

The SOG PowerLock/Access series, with the long cutting section would be reasonable candidates. Swisstools and Gerber MPs, with their small cutter section, wouldn't be good candidates though. Also with LM, because of the pliers tips being part of the closure system. :ahhh

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 02:59:57 PM

There are plenty of tools with the cutters on the tip away from the pivot point.
I am not talking about Multitools but real electrical tools,heavy crimpers for one.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 03:30:09 PM
It would be great if they could make one with side cutters
for electrical wiring and tools that electricians use  :like: :tu:

The Gerber MP1 has its cutters off to the side of the plier head.  Although I had two of them that quickly developed enough play in the pliers to make them unusable on small wire.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #19 on: April 19, 2019, 03:40:01 PM
The problem with most MT plier heads is that they are made from a relatively soft cast stainless steel, so nowhere near as hard as "proper" sidecutters made from hard tool steel.  The result is that the SS cutters can't cope very well with cutting hard steel.  Some of the LM pliers at least have replaceable SS wire cutters.  Gerber has carbide cutters in some of their pliers, but it is too hard and therefore brittle, leading to possible breakage when cutting anything harder than soft copper.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 05:34:40 PM
The problem with most MT plier heads is that they are made from a relatively soft cast stainless steel, so nowhere near as hard as "proper" sidecutters made from hard tool steel.  The result is that the SS cutters can't cope very well with cutting hard steel.  Some of the LM pliers at least have replaceable SS wire cutters.  Gerber has carbide cutters in some of their pliers, but it is too hard and therefore brittle, leading to possible breakage when cutting anything harder than soft copper.

Regarding the carbide cutters on GB, I had replaced the cutter with steel cutters. I am not sure what steel is that.. They are ordered from China, its marketed specifically for the MP series
I had etched them in acid to make them look darker. They turned dark very fast, suggesting high carbon content?  :think: Anyway I had cut cloth hangers, even those thicker ones without problems or any dents. Definitely an upgrade over carbide. They work great on copper wire that I deal with everyday.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%