Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spartan's approved sailing knives

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Re: Spartan's approved sailing knives
Reply #30 on: April 25, 2019, 06:59:47 PM
Nice topic folks.

With those sailing knifes I wonder how the flat spikes (eg Wichards, Victorinox) perform compared to the more round ones.
Especially the Wichards one with the really flat and wide one.

I've tried Victorinox (flat) and also Fox (round) and a stand alone Myerchin Marlin Spike (round).   I have found the round ones better, with the Myerchin MS being the best but, I guess, that may be down to it being purely MS so no compromise.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 26, 2019, 12:05:28 AM
I believe the wichard one is more of a shackle key and less of a marlin spike - the modern sailor or racer does not really expect to be splicing or repairing lines.

Anyway, since we're here, here's a dodgy pic of my "sailing" knives.

The spike is polished steel, not stainless (as you can see from the rust coming up) but cost me nothing but time to make and does the job for knots, or splicing narrower (up to about 10mm) just fine. I have a larger one for thicker ropes, and a set of fids for braided types.

The Spyderco is pretty much always on hand, and more or less my go-to for hacking cordage up.

The Currey is a bit of a rarer carry, and in all honestly probably does more slicing apples than anything else, but it is nautical in theme, so I threw it on the mat :P

I've got a BAK that lives in my bag, but that bag is in my locker, and my locker is at work, so....eh....

Boat knife2.jpg
* Boat knife2.jpg (Filesize: 185.17 KB)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 12:22:37 AM by Sea Monster »

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: April 27, 2019, 12:34:50 AM
Nice topic folks.

With those sailing knifes I wonder how the flat spikes (eg Wichards, Victorinox) perform compared to the more round ones.
Especially the Wichards one with the really flat and wide one.

Thanks shuya! Believe it or not, the flat spikes actually work pretty well, almost as good as the round ones. The more wide wichard has better leverage due to the shape of the spike
Send In the spartans

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 27, 2019, 12:37:20 AM
I believe the wichard one is more of a shackle key and less of a marlin spike - the modern sailor or racer does not really expect to be splicing or repairing lines.

Anyway, since we're here, here's a dodgy pic of my "sailing" knives.

The spike is polished steel, not stainless (as you can see from the rust coming up) but cost me nothing but time to make and does the job for knots, or splicing narrower (up to about 10mm) just fine. I have a larger one for thicker ropes, and a set of fids for braided types.

The Spyderco is pretty much always on hand, and more or less my go-to for hacking cordage up.

The Currey is a bit of a rarer carry, and in all honestly probably does more slicing apples than anything else, but it is nautical in theme, so I threw it on the mat :P

I've got a BAK that lives in my bag, but that bag is in my locker, and my locker is at work, so....eh....

Great pic sm! It's true, nowadays there's very little call for splicing anymore, at least on the military ships, maybe more so on private sailboats and schooners
Send In the spartans

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: April 27, 2019, 03:01:12 AM
I enjoy splicing. But, no, not much call for it routinely.

Unless we're talking about splicing the mainbrace.   :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD