Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Evogrip S54 10-layer Appreciation? 1156

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,687
Evogrip S54 10-layer Appreciation?
« on: April 04, 2019, 10:39:05 PM »
Some years ago, before I began collecting SAKs or finding MTO, I bought a Victorinox Evolution Grip S54, thinking it was the bees knees to have so many tools crammed into such a little ‘tool chest’.

But it was just too big to carry, and has been sitting in a draw unused, unloved and forgotten for years. If anything, it put me off SAKs as I did not appreciate at the time that less is more, and for EDC a 3- or even 2-layer SAK is all you need.

Now with a little more understanding, I have more respect for what this knife represents. Not a knife you would use, but a showcase of the tools available in more pocketable-sized 85mm models.

So a little love is returning and I may even spoil this little guy with a sheath so he can get some sunlight away from the draw some day. I think he deserves it.  :tu:

Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,173 Bon Journee!!
Re: Evogrip S54 10-layer Appreciation?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 10:50:24 PM »
Don't own one but would love to!  Nice pics!

Barry
No Life Club Posts: 4,923
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 10:50:40 PM »
:like: It looks great :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

No Life Club Posts: 4,306
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 10:56:44 PM »
I have one. I won it here at MT.O not long after joining up. I carried once, then right back into the box. Just way too much for me to carry or use.

Too me, it’s like a trophy. I’ll never use it but I’ll probably never sell it. I did try to sell once, but didn’t get any bites. Doubt I ever try again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Life Club Posts: 3,204
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 11:06:31 PM »
Nice but big! And I have a question.. What are the notch in the fishscaler do?

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,849
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 11:10:31 PM »
I have a similar one, but it doesn't have the black grippy material:
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 11:15:13 PM »
Nice but big! And I have a question.. What are the notch in the fishscaler do?

(Image removed from quote.)

The SAKWiki says it's a line guide, but I have no idea what to use it for.

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 11:32:01 PM »
I would use it to push (or pull) a hook out of a fish’s mouth.

Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 11:33:32 PM »
I thought that the end of the scaler was used for disgorging hooks.

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 11:38:49 PM »
Actually you’re right RF. I generally use needle-nose pliers and not a SAK for the task.  :D

I guess it could help with tension when spooling new line onto your reel?  :dunno:

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 11:43:13 PM »
I'm not much of a fisherman so I wouldn't know how to spool a line on a reel :rofl:

I have done some fishing with a bamboo pole and a set lenght of line though.

No Life Club Posts: 3,278
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 11:43:20 PM »
The notch is for quick-n-easy dentist work.
Every time your kid shows you a wobbly "baby" tooth you whack that on there, give it a yank and voila! Job done.
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 11:43:49 PM »
The notch is for quick-n-easy dentist work.
Every time your kid shows you a wobbly "baby" tooth you whack that on there, give it a yank and voila! Job done.
:rofl:

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 10,549 Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 11:47:01 PM »
That is an awesome Wenger, Max!

An S54 is on my "to get lest". :)

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 11:52:13 PM »
Thanks GLBM. Are you sure you’ve got the space?  :pok:

No Life Club Posts: 2,422 Douglas's papa
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 12:26:48 AM »

He prolly has one, he just can't find it under all those other multitools he has .......... :pok: :pok: :rofl:

Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 12:27:48 AM »
He prolly has one, he just can't find it under all those other multitools he has .......... :pok: :pok: :rofl:
Good one :rofl:

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 01:02:00 AM »
The SAKWiki says it's a line guide, but I have no idea what to use it for.

Thanks! I will have to look in to that, I have been fishing on and off for my whole life including putting on new line on a reel but have never used anything like that

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 01:02:58 AM »
Thanks! I will have to look in to that, I have been fishing on and off for my whole life including putting on new line on a reel but have never used anything like that

Let us/me know how it works! :cheers:

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 10,549 Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 05:19:04 AM »
:rofl:

Though, in truth, you bring up a valid point. The little SAK display case is at maximum+ capacity at the moment. Procurement of a larger exhibition container would be necessary to facilitate the current collection of SAKs with the addition of an S54. :ahhh

Do I remember you said you were buying me an S54, Butch? :pok:  :rofl:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.
Newbie Posts: 8

rxd

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 05:37:13 AM »
I actually like big SAKs but that is too much. I wish they made that knife without the ruler - compass thing. That is just a huge waste of space in my opinion...

Ron
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 06:55:53 AM »
I agree.  :iagree:

The layer takes up 7.1mm (0.28in) which is 20% of the 35mm (1.4in).

And I never have much success with the tiddly compass. The magnetic ‘dip’ where I live means the South end of the needle tips down and sticks, so it’s a real fiddle to get the needle to swing freely.

One MT.O member had the idea to use the empty space behind (inside) the ruler for storing a couple of matches, which is a nice idea. But I do look at how much more compact it would be without the ruler compass. Maybe a good mod opportunity?  :dunno:

Sr. Member Posts: 368
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 09:34:37 AM »
...I did not appreciate at the time that less is more, and for EDC a 3- or even 2-layer SAK is all you need...

I completely agree, for EDC (i.e. on person carry) less is definitely more for me. I can do 2 layer cellidor, or 3 layer alox, but anything more I find to be a chore to carry comfortably.

The fat SAKs are good for an EDC bag though... It works for me to have a lean SAK in the pocket, and a “tool chest” type in a bag, which is close-by when needed.

Current favorites are Cadet, Pioneer, Farmer, Spartan in pocket. I often bag carry a 3-4 layer 111mm or a LM Rebar, and I have a Workchamp that comes along on holidays. The S54 looks like it’s made for this.  :tu:

Hans
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 01:45:24 PM »
Found this.. Doesn't give me much more than before and I don't see how this is going to be more effective than using the fingers or putting the line through the first line loop in the rod before starting to fill the reel.. Fun little thing though but I guess it can be used for other things as well

"Line guide update

The introduction of a line guide makes it possible to use this for hook disgorging as well. A line guide is made as a tool for distributing the line on a device. This is to prevent a line to clump. On fishing rod reels you use the thumb to distribute the line on the reel if it does not have a line guide mechanism. It would be difficult to use the line guide on SAKs and reel at the same time. This line guide i would expect can be used for more stationary devices to avoid clumping of the line and burning of the fingers."

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 06:29:36 PM »
I completely agree, for EDC (i.e. on person carry) less is definitely more for me. I can do 2 layer cellidor, or 3 layer alox, but anything more I find to be a chore to carry comfortably.

The fat SAKs are good for an EDC bag though... It works for me to have a lean SAK in the pocket, and a “tool chest” type in a bag, which is close-by when needed.

Current favorites are Cadet, Pioneer, Farmer, Spartan in pocket. I often bag carry a 3-4 layer 111mm or a LM Rebar, and I have a Workchamp that comes along on holidays. The S54 looks like it’s made for this.  :tu:

This is a good carry plan BoL. I’m alternating between Pioneer and Cadet for the pocket, adding a modded Rebar or Wave (or PST, or SOG, or OHT) on the belt on weekends. I will certainly look at some of the 3+ layer SAKs to compliment what’s in my pocket for an EDC bag carry.   :like:

Full Member Posts: 132 264

264 us

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2019, 05:05:58 AM »
Some years ago, before I began collecting SAKs or finding MTO, I bought a Victorinox Evolution Grip S54, thinking it was the bees knees to have so many tools crammed into such a little ‘tool chest’.

But it was just too big to carry, and has been sitting in a draw unused, unloved and forgotten for years. If anything, it put me off SAKs as I did not appreciate at the time that less is more, and for EDC a 3- or even 2-layer SAK is all you need.

Now with a little more understanding, I have more respect for what this knife represents. Not a knife you would use, but a showcase of the tools available in more pocketable-sized 85mm models.

So a little love is returning and I may even spoil this little guy with a sheath so he can get some sunlight away from the draw some day. I think he deserves it.  :tu:

The Evogrip S54 10-layer is a impressive gadget knife worthy of daylight imho also.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,599 Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2019, 03:50:10 PM »
given my dexterity with huge, fat SAKs, I'd use the notch in the fish scaler to hang the S54 in the air from a fishing line after my trip, because it'd have fallen to the water and gotten all wet  :facepalm:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 03:59:26 PM »
Ok guys, picked up a 4.0521.3 leather sheath today (with a few other goodies)  :facepalm:

The S54 is a good fit. Not too tight. Locking lever does not cause a problem. Some room in the bottom but the shaped sides match the scales and stop it from dropping down too far. Enough of the scales exposed to extract the S54.

So now on the belt and getting some sunlight for the first time in probably 3 years.  :tu:

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,549
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2019, 04:39:00 PM »
I agree.  :iagree:

The layer takes up 7.1mm (0.28in) which is 20% of the 35mm (1.4in).

And I never have much success with the tiddly compass. The magnetic ‘dip’ where I live means the South end of the needle tips down and sticks, so it’s a real fiddle to get the needle to swing freely.

One MT.O member had the idea to use the empty space behind (inside) the ruler for storing a couple of matches, which is a nice idea. But I do look at how much more compact it would be without the ruler compass. Maybe a good mod opportunity?  :dunno:

Which crazy MTO member came up with that idea ...  ::)

Show content
I've been thinking about using the plastic compass holder as storage for some small things, since the plastic is hollow. 

I'm thinking of using a piece of cork that I can jam in the plastic compass holder, in which I can put a needle (since the S54 has no needle storage near the corckscrew, like the Vics do), and maybe some fishing line, hooks and some small lead balls as fishing sinker (or whatever you call this in English).  Or some matches and a piece of match striker, or even a small firesteel, if I can find one that fits ... I'm going to try some of these options and see what works best.

That way all the "lost space" would be put to good use  ;).

About the compass, like I said in my S54 topic, it works quite well over here, and it can even be used to determine your location or heading using a topomap, thanks to the transparant ruler.  Interesting that you have a magnetic ‘dip’ there, I guess one should need something like the "global compass" from Recta/Suunto which allows the "needle" to tilt while still being accurate, to use over there, right?

Like these ones:

Show content
Okay I'll say it ... my name is Eric, I have a compass problem ...  :-[
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2019, 05:00:33 PM »
Also have a couple  :like:

Taking this picture I discovered the S54 was influencing the Perspex compass from even 10cm...which may explain why I battle to get a stable reading with the S54’s compass  :dunno:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $10.66
PayPal Fees: $0.63
Net Balance: $10.03
Below Goal: $289.97
Site Currency: USD
 3%