Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Science Schmience!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Science Schmience!
on: May 09, 2019, 06:43:13 PM
As some of you may know, I like kayaking.  I know, that comes as a shock to many of you, but it's true.

I read this article on a kayaking site, and I realized that if you read this article and substitute multitools for canoes, it could spell the end of Multitoolorg as we know it!

https://paddlingmag.com/skills/buying-advice/why-a-new-boat-won-t-make-you-happier/

Or, would it make us MORE important, as it would mean that people are going to research more rather than just buy whatever is handy?

I can say one thing for sure- if it weren't for my indecisiveness with regards to tools, I wouldn't have started MTO, nor would I have met all of you, and I can tell you that I wouldn't be very happy without all of this and all of you.

So, since the essence of science is that an experiment must be repeatable with the same conclusion, I am going back to sorcery, because this one is obviously false.  :P

Sorry Dr. Smartypants!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Re: Science Schmience!
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 06:55:23 PM
Dopomaine. Chemical released into the brain when shopping to give a pleasure high.

When common sense and frugality release chemicals into my brain I'll decide to give them more attention.

:rofl:
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 08:02:45 PM
My take away is that we won't be happy until we have all the MT/SAKs that are available for purchase.  I know that many of us seem to be on just such a quest.
- Steve

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 08:20:12 PM
I disagree with the article in the sense that I'm quite aware there is no such thing as perfection. So for things like tools I usually go ahead and buy a pretty OK second-or third best at half the price and then proceed to pimp it to my liking (and smurf the warranty, in some cases) :D

Not an option for those who are afraid of opening up the innards of devices, but it works for me.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 09:04:37 PM
My take away is that it was never just about the canoe or the act of acquiring one, but the experience coming from that.

I think what makes MTO special, is always about the people behind the tools and the stories they bring along with the tools. :popcorn: :cheers:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 09:20:45 PM
That article is a honking great pile of poo

The initial concept is sound, picking one best thing, with or without introducing an element of doubt. However, all that object is, is a single static image.

To then equate that to interactions with another living person, with independent and often unsynchronised needs and emotions, is ridiculous. Same with the analogy of the boat. Needs change, circumstances change. You use the boat in different locations, at different times of year, or your fitness and physical capabilities change, and the equation of how fit for purpose the original decision is, changes. Options in that case, may well be a positive thing. Is the author also implying that people with only one coat, or one pair of shoes, feel more content? Is this regardless of whether they're wearing that one coat and pair of shoes at work on a building site, hiking in the country, and going to a wedding, any one of which could occur on the hottest or coldest day of the year?

Extending this to pocket tools, I have a wide range of options at my disposal. I have discarded (sold, swapped, gifted) all the options that didn't work for me in any circumstance. What's left is a range of tools, which will cover whatever I'm doing that day, and I can pick and choose from them, just as I can select the most appropriate jacket and footwear. Those options are good, and I feel my life is a little bit better for having them.

In contrast, the pictures and clocks on the walls here, are the same ones I put up when I moved here five years ago, and I'm still content with them.

The guy is quite clearly talking out of the wrong aperture.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Steve Cuthbertson

• "Why are your knives so sharp?" Like, WTF dude?
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 11:11:51 PM
Dopomaine. Chemical released into the brain when shopping to give a pleasure high.

When common sense and frugality release chemicals into my brain I'll decide to give them more attention.

:rofl:

You're preaching to the choir, mate!
 :cheers:
SAK - Champ, Huntsman, Grand Prix, Sentry, Classic SD, Swiss Card Classic. Multitools - LM Skeletool CX, LM PST II, LM Wave. Flashlights: Thorfire TG06S, Lumintop Tool AAA, Maglite LED 2xAA. Knives: Sanrenmu 7078MUX-GKJ & GVK

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 01:09:05 AM
Harumph ......yeah ........well..........that dudes head is full of bull feathers. ............. :viking:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%