Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

List your pet peeves

MMR · 125 · 3548

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
List your pet peeves
on: April 06, 2019, 10:13:59 AM
Saw this on another forum and thought it would be fun to try here too.

Definition of “pet peeve”:

For this to work we need to adhere to the following:
- this thread is just for fun.
- what others list are THEIR personal pet peeves and nothing aimed at anyone personally in particular, just generally speaking.
- this thread will not work if people start arguing over each others pet peeves, so let’s keep it clean and friendly.

Above may seem obvious, but people need to hear it anyway (or in this case; read it...unless you have “text-to-speech” enabled on your device)......same reason why rat poison has a warning label saying “do not eat” on it....you know Incase someone fancied a rat poison burger or pizza...or something..

Anyway....let’s do this!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: List your pet peeves
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 10:15:14 AM
 :rant: Don't leave the sponges in the sink!  :rant:
 :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
List your pet peeves
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 10:18:00 AM
I’ll start...

- People who don’t wash their hands after using the toilet
- People who chew loudly or with food in their mouth
- Man buns!
- People who drive slow in the overtaking lane.
- Micromanagement
- Strangers who ask extremely nosy and personal questions.
- People who tint their taillights on their cars
- People with spoilers, bodykits and loud exhausts on their moms crappy old hatchback

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 10:18:31 AM
:rant: Don't leave the sponges in the sink!  :rant:
 :D

You beat me to it

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 10:25:50 AM
People who just stands still at the end of escalators or stops walking right outside exits. "No, don't mind the 400 people behind you, we're just happy you've reached your destination."

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 01:38:12 PM
In summary, inconsiderate people.  Some particularly annoying examples that get my goat are:

Obnoxiously loud exhausts (car, bike or truck. I hate them all)

Dazzling lights (I don't care whether they are HID or LED globes in a light designed for halogen, or just badly adjusted)

People who deliberately drive below the speed limit in the overtaking lane, particularly if they have a co-conspirator in the lane next to them so no-one can get past at all (undertaking is legal in Oz).

People who drive slow where there is no overtaking, then speed up as soon as you get to an overtaking lane so hardly anyone can get past.

People who try to push in front of me to get served when I've been waiting longer than them.

Children who scream really loudly and frequently when they are playing (it sets off my ""something is seriously wrong and I must go and help" response, and I have trouble dampening that response down)

Litterbugs

Really slow roadworks speed limit signs staying up when there are no roadworkers around (eg they have all finished work for the day)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
List your pet peeves
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 01:51:40 PM
- When you call customer service somewhere and it’s some call center in India you get through to and the person keeps misunderstanding you (and god I hate that accent)

- When you call some company and you are greeted with; “press 1 for A, Press 2 for B, Press 3 for C” and and it takes an eternity to get to talk to an actual person or all you end up with in the end is a voicemail

- When people call a Leatherman “A Swiss Army knife”

- When people call their Toyota Landcruiser “A Jeep”

- When I start up my computer and I am forced to run updates

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 01:59:21 PM
People who drive slow where there is no overtaking, then speed up as soon as you get to an overtaking lane so hardly anyone can get past.

People who try to push in front of me to get served when I've been waiting longer than them.

So if you're buying a pack of lifesavers, it's about fairness in waiting until you get the head of the line, but when getting from A to B on the roads - whoever wants to get there first has a right to do so?

Interesting how we think innit?

Semi related - I have a hilarious game I play with my "customers" (I explain it to them first) where I serve the most recent person first.

It generally fails as a lesson, but if someone comes in acting like their requirement for who-cares-what is somehow of a higher importance and urgency than whatever I am dealing with presently (given that my clients don't have to be physically present for me to do my job, people don't "see" the queue ahead of them) I'll say "Not a problem! I will put you straight to the head of the line, that's my policy! Of course, I'll make the same offer to the next person who comes in.

Do you think you'll get your who-cares-what done faster this way, or if you waited until I did all the things people wanted before you arrived?"

The point is often lost on them, but it rarely bothers me, because usually about a minute after they leave I'll get another "customer" or phone call, and I move on with my day, joyously failing to please anyone, and picking the jobs I'm going to complete based on random whim from the list of outstanding jobs I have.

To frame that as a pet peeve - People who think I should care in the slightest about their personal dreams, ambitions or priorities  ::) :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 02:07:36 PM by Sea Monster »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 02:06:38 PM
- People who tailgate me when I am doing the speed limit (especially through roadworks).
- People who say "correct" instead of just saying "yes".
- People who ask how I have my tea and after I say "strong" immediately take the teabag out after pouring and dump a whole lot of milk in there.

So in short.... people.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 11:21:09 PM
Self Absorbed people everywhere and all the time out in Public and paying little or no attention.

Using the Phone while Driving is for sure the worst and not just annoying but life threatening clearly.

Here in like 38 states it is Illegal to sit in the Left Lane and impede the flow of traffic.......there are many who do not know or care or both!

People getting pissed off at you in Traffic for no obvious reason as though the world actually does revolve around them?
Your failure to plan ahead or signal your intentions is your problem really.
Defensive Driving is really the only way to go in any big city at all times.

Notice that mine are all Driving related?
Anything else does not really effect my breathing in general.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 04:32:53 AM
So if you're buying a pack of lifesavers, it's about fairness in waiting until you get the head of the line, but when getting from A to B on the roads - whoever wants to get there first has a right to do so?

Interesting how we think innit?

IMO two totally different cases.  If people obey the traffic rules (in this specific instance, Keep out of the overtaking lane unless overtaking) then I can overtake the slow driver (doing the speed limit) and be on my way without holding them up or impacting on them in any way.  But when waiting to be served in a shop if you get served before me when I've been waiting longer then that does impact me negatively - I'm now waiting longer (while you get served) AND you are getting priority over me when you shouldn't.

Semi related - I have a hilarious game I play with my "customers" (I explain it to them first) where I serve the most recent person first.

It generally fails as a lesson, but if someone comes in acting like their requirement for who-cares-what is somehow of a higher importance and urgency than whatever I am dealing with presently (given that my clients don't have to be physically present for me to do my job, people don't "see" the queue ahead of them) I'll say "Not a problem! I will put you straight to the head of the line, that's my policy! Of course, I'll make the same offer to the next person who comes in.

Do you think you'll get your who-cares-what done faster this way, or if you waited until I did all the things people wanted before you arrived?"

The point is often lost on them, but it rarely bothers me, because usually about a minute after they leave I'll get another "customer" or phone call, and I move on with my day, joyously failing to please anyone, and picking the jobs I'm going to complete based on random whim from the list of outstanding jobs I have.

To frame that as a pet peeve - People who think I should care in the slightest about their personal dreams, ambitions or priorities  ::) :D

I just had to check, no, you didn't post this on the 1st of April, so presumably you are serious.    ???

I'm struggling with your insane concept of "customer service".  Most places believe it is good business to keep customers happy, so they will spend money and tell others to buy the product/service.  Bad service has the opposite effect.  It is difficult to earn and keep a good reputation, but very easy to lose it and get a bad rep, particularly on social media.

I hope for your sake you are employed in some kind of special circumstances ie you own your own business, or are truly indispensable (very few people really are), or have a completely captive market where your customers are locked in. 

If you aren't, I can't see you remaining in that position for too much longer, seriously.  If you did that to me I would go out of my way to let your supervisors just how bad you treated me, and if I was unhappy with their response I would definitely go on social media and review sites and describe (honestly) just how I was treated.  If enough people did that I can't see how it wouldn't end badly for you over the long term.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 05:17:43 AM
 :iagree:
I've worked around people and customers my entire working life and most people NEED to feel special when they are spending money. I get it and like to feel important spending my hard-earned money myself. If there are two places offering the same goods/services, I am going to choose the one that treats me like I matter.
Whenever I am called on to work the floor and desk at the store I usually do restoration work at, it feels important to make sure everyone feels needed, to keep them coming back. I don't descriminate between someone who spends $10 or $1,000. As I expect good service spending any amount of money at stores I shop at.

And yes, so it is clear, I will spend quite a bit more money to get the special treatment at a place I spend my hard-earned cash.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 05:38:42 AM
Pet Peeves:
Not too many on my list, but there are a few.

1. Smug people. Especially smug people who use poor grammar.
2. Poor empathy. While this is unavoidable due to some psychological disorders, I am primarily referring to people who just don't try to imagine themselves in another person's shoes.
3. Unappreciative behavior. It really bothers me when someone doesn't exhibit appreciation for something nice another has done for them. Doesn't really matter if the person doing the good deed got anything out of it or not. Appreciation goes a long way in this world.
4. Tools made like pure garbage and the stores that try and pass them off as real tools.
5. Pants not worn around the waist that hang off of men's backsides and thighs.
6. Bad customer service. If I am spending my hard-earned bucks, I expect the store staff to be earning theirs when I spend my money. In turn, I give top-notch CS to people spending their money.
7. Cigarette bums. Not referring to friends and such that ask for a smoke, but am referring to complete strangers that ask for a smoke. Buy your own smokes, breh!
8. Bums who ask for cash. I'll buy a homeless man a good meal anyday, but usually refuse to hand over cash.
9. People who drive recklessly to pass me on the road, but who didn't even bother to see why I was driving slow to start with. Example: I am behind a lot of cars moving slowly, and a smurfhole almost clips my bumper to only have to hit their brakes behind the same car I was behind to begin with.
10. Same as others in the thread, I cannot stand tailgaters. They are fairly low on the totem pole of humanity in my opinion.
11. People who drive with high beams permanently on. I have sensitive eyes and that crap has almost caused me to wreck several times.
12. Trolls. Especially the kind that purposefully induce anger regarding politics.
13. Junk talk. I cannot stand to be around guys who talk about their junk all of the time. A few jokes are funny, but some people are obsessed.

O.K. I could list more, but that was too many as it is.  :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 06:01:18 AM
I've worked around people and customers my entire working life and most people NEED to feel special when they are spending money. I get it and like to feel important spending my hard-earned money myself. If there are two places offering the same goods/services, I am going to choose the one that treats me like I matter.
Whenever I am called on to work the floor and desk at the store I usually do restoration work at, it feels important to make sure everyone feels needed, to keep them coming back. I don't descriminate between someone who spends $10 or $1,000. As I expect good service spending any amount of money at stores I shop at.

And yes, so it is clear, I will spend quite a bit more money to get the special treatment at a place I spend my hard-earned cash.

This^^

The customer is the life blood of any business. You lose your customers; you lose your job.

I will say tho that his careless attitude towards the customers, is usually a sign of bad management or lack of supervision.

I myself have had some terrible managers in my life, and their negative attitude towards the employees did take its toll on my willingness to go the extra mile for the customer.

I’m not saying that makes it okay, but there’s a reason why it’s called “happy employees = happy customers”

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 06:13:46 AM
Dadblasted telephone ...............somebody shoulda shot that dadblamed Bell dude ............ :rant: :rant: :rant: :viking:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 06:33:42 AM
This^^

The customer is the life blood of any business. You lose your customers; you lose your job.

I will say tho that his careless attitude towards the customers, is usually a sign of bad management or lack of supervision.

I myself have had some terrible managers in my life, and their negative attitude towards the employees did take its toll on my willingness to go the extra mile for the customer.

I’m not saying that makes it okay, but there’s a reason why it’s called “happy employees = happy customers”

100%  :iagree:

:cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 06:36:52 AM
Dadblasted telephone ...............somebody shoulda shot that dadblamed Bell dude ............ :rant: :rant: :rant: :viking:
I am sorry, Butch. We cannot go back to stone tablets & chisels.  :whistle:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 07:40:50 AM
I am sorry, Butch. We cannot go back to stone tablets & chisels.  :whistle:

Ok...................but how about Pony Express ? :pok:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 07:42:16 AM
Ok...................but how about Pony Express ? :pok:
:rofl:
Might as well go back to cave painting. :whistle:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 10:35:21 AM
Fun fact: the Pony Express only operated for 18 months.
Blew my mind when I found out, considering how ingrained into Wild West lore it is!

All hail the hook!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 03:30:36 PM
Meandering off the point, but to clarify for those fuming - my "customers" as such are not spending money with me, they are more or less petitioning me to spend time/money on them, and since it's not my money (and I have a finite amount of time), I don't actually care who gets their dreams met and who doesn't

They come to the counter already feeling special about themselves, it's not really my job to feel as elated about their goals as they do (they might disagree....but see point 1)

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 03:54:24 PM
Meandering off the point, but to clarify for those fuming - my "customers" as such are not spending money with me, they are more or less petitioning me to spend time/money on them, and since it's not my money (and I have a finite amount of time), I don't actually care who gets their dreams met and who doesn't

They come to the counter already feeling special about themselves, it's not really my job to feel as elated about their goals as they do (they might disagree....but see point 1)

This still does little to make your point any more clear to me?
I will admit that I read your initial post over and over and still can not grasp at all what you are saying. :think:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #22 on: April 07, 2019, 04:52:44 PM
:rofl:
Might as well go back to cave painting. :whistle:

Ooga chuka............... :hatsoff: :viking:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #23 on: April 07, 2019, 04:58:57 PM

Gooberment job .......... :dunno:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 07, 2019, 05:17:04 PM

Not that I want to start a flame war or have this escalate any further.

But you are seriously making a bad impression of yourself.

You really don’t come across as a particularly nice / kind or competent person.

Just letting you know...

Kind regards,

MMR

- Andrew Ryan

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 07, 2019, 06:21:41 PM
First and foremost if this thread should be continued, the original rules of engagement (set forth in the opening post) need to be adhered to even if we do not understand or we disagree with another's perspective.

"For this to work we need to adhere to the following:
- what others list are THEIR personal pet peeves and nothing aimed at anyone personally in particular, just generally speaking.
- this thread will not work if people start arguing over each others pet peeves, so let’s keep it clean and friendly. "

"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: April 07, 2019, 06:23:23 PM
 :salute:

All hail the hook!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: April 07, 2019, 06:43:01 PM
People who view the calendar poll thread but can't be bothered to vote    :rant:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 07, 2019, 06:47:39 PM
People who view the calendar poll thread but can't be bothered to vote    :rant:

:iagree:  :salute:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: April 07, 2019, 06:48:22 PM
That is a biggie. It literally took me 60 seconds to vote. Everyone who hasn't voted, please do! :ahhh

First and foremost if this thread should be continued, the original rules of engagement (set forth in the opening post) need to be adhered to even if we do not understand or we disagree with another's perspective.

"For this to work we need to adhere to the following:
- this thread will not work if people start arguing over each others pet peeves, so let’s keep it clean and friendly. "
Amen, brother. :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%