Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New bikes for my oldest son and yours truly.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
New bikes for my oldest son and yours truly.
on: April 06, 2019, 04:00:21 PM
My oldest son needed a new bike because his current one (a Specialized Mountainbike) is getting way too small for him (actually, it's him who's getting way too tall, to be more precise ...  ;)).  And he wanted a Cyclocross bike instead of a MTB this time (also because he's now tall enough to use one of my mountainbikes if he needs one  ::)).  I'd been thinking about buying myself a road- or cyclocross bike for years but never got round to it, but since my boy was getting one I thought it would be best to get myself something new as well (since I'm having a hard enough time to keep up with him as it is these days ... ).

After browsing the net to see which bikes to pick from (I'm a Merida fan, so I didn't need much time to decide which brand to go to) I discovered that there was a "new style" of bikes since a couple of years, the Gravelbikes (also known as Gravel/Adventure bikes), which are a bit of a mix between cyclocross/mountain/sport bikes. 

Offering big wheels (all my mountainbikes have 26inch wheels), with heaps of clearance both at the chain and seat stays, it means the tyres have tonnes of clearance, and you could fit larger size in and sacrifice a bit of clearance for some more offroad or more cushioning with some tread.

They also have a lot of rack mounts for when you want to go bike-packing and they are designed to carry more weight, which is a good thing for people like me, being 1,93m tall and weighing around 110kg (which is one of the reasons why I need to pick up riding my bikes again ...  ::)).  And last but not least, they are a bit more comfortable compared to a road- or cyclocross bike.

So, I got myself a Merida Silex 700, here are the specs:

Frame: AL-6066
Fork: Carbon
Components: Shimano Ultegra
Brakes: Shimano Ultegra Hydraulic Disc Brakes
Axles: 12mm bolt through skewers
Wheels: Fulcrum

And here's a pic "in the field":

And one with my oldest son on his new bike in the background:

And I'll add some pics from my boy and his new bike, but I'm going to use a spoiler because I would be in trouble if he knew I posted pics of him online ...   :facepalm:.
Because being 1,83m tall and weighing 52kg, he's the one who needs to be embarrassed about how he looks on a bike ...  ::)

Show content

Here he's starting to get annoyed because I'm taking too many pics of him ... teenagers ...  :D

Hope you guys like it  ;).

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: New bikes for my oldest son and yours truly.
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 04:08:51 PM
Great job!  I currently have a teenager (13) at home so I understand the picture thing.  Beautiful bike!
Barry

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 04:12:14 PM
Great job!  I currently have a teenager (13) at home so I understand the picture thing.  Beautiful bike!

Thanks mate  :salute:.

Yep, my oldest one (in the pic) just turned 14 last Januari ...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 04:14:51 PM
That LOOK  :rofl:.  I know it all too well.  Outstanding color  :tu:.   :cheers: heres to many wonderful hours spent riding together. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 04:21:49 PM
 :iagree: :tu:
Barry

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 04:51:50 PM
That LOOK  :rofl:.  I know it all too well.  Outstanding color  :tu:.   :cheers: heres to many wonderful hours spent riding together.

Thanks mate  :salute:.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 05:10:36 PM
I will admit my near total ignorance of modern bike choices, but those sound like a great idea.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 12:20:55 AM
As a kid growing up, the only bikes they made (or sold locally) in kids sizes were BMX style deals, or pretty average "mountain bikes, but with such tiny frames and wheels, and sod all difference in gearing that you weren't going to get much done.

Into my teens Mountain bikes became more of a thing, and it's what everyone rode (the upgrade to V-brakes and squishy front forks was SRS BSNS)

As an adult someone introduced me to road bikes, but anyone with a road bike was a friggin' nerd and they'd get emotional about you riding it (honestly, rather lend you their car...) and since I can barely justify one bike much less two, the whole idea of being a dink with a $X000 road bike didn't interest me...

and NOW you're telling me there's eighteen OTHER variations on the damned theme?

sounds like orc mischief to me....

(oh, and give your kid a sandwich, he looks like half a fart would blow him over)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%