Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Notre Dame Cathedral

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Notre Dame Cathedral
Reply #30 on: April 18, 2019, 11:24:20 AM
Palmyra, then the Brazilian Museum and now Notre Dame. Unimaginable disasters.

I did not know about the Brazilian Museum....... :cry:

What has been destroyed in Syria and Iraq is a tragedy for the human race

I agree but everyone in Paris is not french.

Maybe the French are a minority by now, that would explain some of the brutal comments on social media....

The worst for me..........."we don't have tall enough trees in France to rebuild it as it was" (sic)

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 18, 2019, 11:58:54 AM
Much is being made of two wealthy families pledging 300m Euro to aid in it's restoration.... money that could be used to fix so many other problems.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: April 18, 2019, 05:11:09 PM
 :iagree:

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #33 on: April 18, 2019, 06:15:07 PM
Much is being made of two wealthy families pledging 300m Euro to aid in it's restoration.... money that could be used to fix so many other problems.

I agree ... if we lived in a perfect world.

But in a perfect world these two wealthy families would already have donated the 300 million Euro to a better cause before the Notre Dame Cathedral burned down, and they didn't... So I think it's fair to assume that, if this dissaster wouldn't have taken place, they would've just held on to their money.

If the top 5% of richest people in each country would "give" half of what they own to the top 50% of poorest people in their country, the world would be a much better place, but we all know that this is not going to happen any time soon.  In this case, the 300 million Euro wasn't going to benefit anybody else than its owners anyway, and at least now it will be spend to restore an important piece of cultural heritage.

And let's not fool ourselves, all of these important landmarks cost a ton of money just to keep them safe from deteriorating, even without a disaster like this.  But if we as a society would not have done this in the past (and wouldn't keep on doing it in the future) there wouldn't be much left standing to remind us of our own past.

Just my 2 cents  ;).

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: April 18, 2019, 06:51:54 PM
Typical; a wealthy person does something nice, and then all the left wing supporters immediately starts going full on “you don’t need that much money” .. “your money should benefit others” blah blah blah ...sorry I don’t speak communist bull crap...

...as if it’s their duty to serve you or something

They worked hard for their money, it’s their well earned money and they can give it to what ever cause they want, and we should thankful for what they give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #35 on: April 18, 2019, 07:26:55 PM
It seems to have been an accident occurring during restoration works.
And I heard there will be enough money to rebuild.

Here´s a WikiPedia fragment about Saint John´s Cathedral in my home town 's-Hertogenbosch:

In the year 1584, a fire broke out in the high wooden crossing tower, more majestic than the current one. Soon the whole tower was set ablaze, and it collapsed upon the cathedral itself, taking with it much of the roof up to point where the organ was situated. In 1830, another fire damaged the western tower, which was repaired by 1842.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #36 on: April 18, 2019, 07:27:34 PM
Typical; a wealthy person does something nice, and then all the left wing supporters immediately starts going full on “you don’t need that much money” .. “your money should benefit others” blah blah blah ...sorry I don’t speak communist bull crap...

...as if it’s their duty to serve you or something

They worked hard for their money, it’s their well earned money and they can give it to what ever cause they want, and we should thankful for what they give.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a perfect world, people read a post for what it actually says, and they don't just pick out random pieces to give it a political twist ...

:whistle:

se Offline RF52

Reply #37 on: April 18, 2019, 09:31:54 PM
I agree ... if we lived in a perfect world.

But in a perfect world these two wealthy families would already have donated the 300 million Euro to a better cause before the Notre Dame Cathedral burned down, and they didn't... So I think it's fair to assume that, if this dissaster wouldn't have taken place, they would've just held on to their money.

If the top 5% of richest people in each country would "give" half of what they own to the top 50% of poorest people in their country, the world would be a much better place, but we all know that this is not going to happen any time soon.  In this case, the 300 million Euro wasn't going to benefit anybody else than its owners anyway, and at least now it will be spend to restore an important piece of cultural heritage.

And let's not fool ourselves, all of these important landmarks cost a ton of money just to keep them safe from deteriorating, even without a disaster like this.  But if we as a society would not have done this in the past (and wouldn't keep on doing it in the future) there wouldn't be much left standing to remind us of our own past.

Just my 2 cents  ;).

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #38 on: April 18, 2019, 10:45:44 PM
I'm not saying what they should do with their money, I just think it' says something about the mentality of some people when this is what they would rather spend their money on.
Yes, some rich people work hard for their money. Some work insanely hard. Some just inherited it. Billions of poor around the world work hard for their money too.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #39 on: April 18, 2019, 10:53:22 PM
I'm not saying what they should do with their money, I just think it' says something about the mentality of some people when this is what they would rather spend their money on.
Yes, some rich people work hard for their money. Some work insanely hard. Some just inherited it. Billions of poor around the world work hard for their money too.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #40 on: April 19, 2019, 07:35:35 PM
sadly many of those large donations are primarily to reap the tax benefits.

btw, you can temporarily get Assassins Creed Unity for free (the one with notre dame in it)

http://assassinscreed.com/unity-notredame/
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: April 20, 2019, 12:13:49 AM
Economics is pretty complex, and you might find some really interesting problems can come out of what appear to be simple solutions....

As for the damage to the building itself- I understand the building is culturally significant to some group or another, and thus it is unfortunate, but as was alluded to elsewhere in this thread, culturally significant buildings either decay, or are destroyed on a pretty routine basis and often not much is made of it - and given the data we have been able to collect and store in the recent decades, and the fact their there is a will and a way to "restore" (tall trees notwithstanding) this particular building, it's not the end of the world.

and whilst the rich people might get tax write offs for their donations (boo, rich people!) that money creates work and activity*, which humans enjoy almost more than leisure - hell, they might even hire a new safety inspector for the local government.

A week where the worst thing in the news is an electrical fault is a pretty good week for humanity.

*and a chance for contractors and other businesses to rort the body that receives the donation out of the money by invoicing them an insane price for services they have no intention of delivering, but who is going to argue? We're preserving history and culture!.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: April 20, 2019, 06:42:44 PM
Keep politics out of this , consider this a warning !

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: April 23, 2019, 12:19:54 PM
* adjusts tinfoil hat*

A week where the worst thing in the news is an electrical fault is a pretty good week for humanity.

If they blamed anyone else that country would be burning.....

So it's wiring, and nobody says a word about the recent "incidents" at churches all over France  :think:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #44 on: April 23, 2019, 12:43:13 PM
As none of us (that I am aware of, anyway) was there in person to present any actual evidence to the contrary, we have to accept the official findings.

Honestly, I am less concerned about the cause, and am just glad that the loss wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: April 23, 2019, 12:48:24 PM
I recently had to install some systems in a local church and when I looked at the wiring from the 50's, I was amazed by the fact that the building was still standing.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #46 on: April 23, 2019, 01:12:16 PM
I feel the same way about my house, which was built in the 50's.

I recently found a box with live wires that had been plastered over and hidden for who knows how long....  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: April 23, 2019, 03:17:11 PM
The sad reality sometimes is, theres never a problem till.............  theres a problem.  I'm no electrician but I've seen some wonky stuff.  When I went home shopping, again I'm no electrician, we saw some weird stuff.  I was a little surprised no fires had occurred. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD