Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Blade thickness of Nomad

ioti · 14 · 843

Offline ioti

Blade thickness of Nomad
on: April 15, 2019, 01:34:45 PM
Hi guys, I am new around here. I found a bargain new nomad and I am wondering about the thickness of its blade. I didn't own a 111 mm SAK previously so I am not very familiar with them. What I can see from the photos is it seems to be abit too slim for its lenght. I couldn't find its thickness online. Does anybody know how thick it is? I am living in a big metropolitan city and carrying such a big knife around is not an option for me, I prefer smaller ones, this one would be for outdoors, so would this one be beefy enough for some whittling etc?

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Re: Blade thickness of Nomad
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 04:02:16 PM
The blade is 2mm thick, which may not sound like much, but often a thinner blade is better than a fat one - especially when cutting fruit and vegetables. You can certainly whittle with it but batoning or chopping down entire rainforests isn't going to be this thing's forte.
I think it would be an excellent choice for city use - all the basic tools are there and the blade is going to be more than enough in most situations.
Also, it's not a million dollar knife, so if you lose it, it's not the end of the world!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 04:05:05 PM
I think the blades are the same on all the 111mm's. Not sure about that, though. I've got a Nomad around here somewhere and I'll check that when I can.

I just measured the thickness of my Outrider at the ricasso: 2.45mm.

At this thickness, it's more than suitable for most routine tasks. However, I don't think this is the knife to baton hardwood with. I often carry a 111mm when out for a hike or camping trip. Great tools to have with you!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 04:43:40 PM
OK, I'm a little bit wrong.

The blades on the my Nomad and Outrider have slightly different grinds:

The Nomad blade has a shorter plunge line with an arcing grind:

(The difference doesn't show up in the photos very clearly.)

But both blades measure 2.43-2.45mm thick at the ricasso. 

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 04:54:14 PM
A little additional observation here:

I have an old-model Outrider and a new-model Outrider. The blade of the new-model Outrider is like that of my Nomad (shorter plunge line, more of an arc in the grind line).

My Rucksack is more like the old-model Outrider.

So, to me, it looks like the newer model knives have the short plunge line and the arcing grind lines. This leaves a little bit more steel in the spine near the hilt and reduces the 'stress lines' at the hilt.

Which makes me wonder why Vic made this change......... :think:

us Online Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 02:46:40 AM
Welcome to MTo, ioti!   

I have two Nomads and a Picnicker (the modern one) and I love them.  I cannot imagine that this model would not be sufficient for normal/routine pocket knife uses. 

Would love to see some pictures of your knife!

Best

Myron

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 06:21:13 AM
I am living in a big metropolitan city and carrying such a big knife around is not an option for me, I prefer smaller ones, this one would be for outdoors, so would this one be beefy enough for some whittling etc?

It is solid, and would be fine for whittling.  In fact, many folks use knives smaller than the 111 mm line for whittling.  I would steer clear of things like batoning or chopping with it (or any other folding knife).

A little additional observation here:

I have an old-model Outrider and a new-model Outrider. The blade of the new-model Outrider is like that of my Nomad (shorter plunge line, more of an arc in the grind line).

My Rucksack is more like the old-model Outrider.

So, to me, it looks like the newer model knives have the short plunge line and the arcing grind lines. This leaves a little bit more steel in the spine near the hilt and reduces the 'stress lines' at the hilt.

Which makes me wonder why Vic made this change......... :think:

Does this have to do more with liner-lock models vs. the old slide-lock models?

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 07:57:47 AM
[Deleted post] :whistle:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:49:38 AM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

Offline ioti

Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 09:53:55 AM
Thanks for the replies. The thickness seems sufficient for most task. And don't worry guys I won't be batoning with it. I was planning to get a farmer, but this deal is like 50% off so I am a bit confused. The only thing that keeps me from buying it immediately is the lack of a saw (nomad).

About city usage, I can only carry the smallest knives, and sometimes even they can be problematic. There are security checks everywhere from subway enterance to shopping malls, a 111 mm sak is out of question. 

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 11:48:21 AM
Welcome to the forum, ioti!

50% off is great, but a knife also has to meet your needs. As an example, I had a one hand opening Trailmaster briefly. I didn't like it and sold it and paid a lot more for the two hand opening version, which I'm much happier with.

My first 111mm was a Centurion. Similar to a Nomad but with a Phillips instead of the corkscrew. I loved it and absolutely recommend it (or a Nomad, if you prefer the corkscrew) if you don't need a saw. It's a great outdoors working knife. I do need a saw for my work so the Trailmaster replaced it.

The Farmer's saw is the same length as the 91mm saws. If you expect to saw wood often, you'll appreciate the extra length of the 111mm saw. The larger grip is more comfortable, too.  :cheers:
Rambler

Offline ioti

Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 07:08:44 PM
Thanks Sawl. I think I will pass this one. I decided that a 111mm without a saw is not very attractive to me.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 08:23:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. The thickness seems sufficient for most task. And don't worry guys I won't be batoning with it. I was planning to get a farmer, but this deal is like 50% off so I am a bit confused. The only thing that keeps me from buying it immediately is the lack of a saw (nomad).

About city usage, I can only carry the smallest knives, and sometimes even they can be problematic. There are security checks everywhere from subway enterance to shopping malls, a 111 mm sak is out of question.

Out of curiosity, where do yo live, iota?

Offline ioti

Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 10:23:09 PM
Nix, I have a habit of not sharing personal info online, you know everyone can reach these stuff and there is no telling how one may use it. Let's say mediterranian region.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 12:22:56 AM
 :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86