Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Locking Pliers Multi-tools.

Chako · 38 · 7485

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Re: Locking Pliers Multi-tools.
Reply #30 on: April 08, 2019, 01:54:47 AM
You're certainly welcome, tuckerdog1! :cheers:

Yadda had some great info. I don't see them too often, but they used to be a poor man's Kershaw A100. However, from what I know, thr Sheffield is a good homage to the A100. :)
Well said, Douglas! :iagree:

Difficult to tell from the photos, but looks like the straight haw version, which is rarer than the curved jaw version.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline tuckerdog1

Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 03:13:48 AM
Welcome!  Nice find.  It is one of the quirkier tools out there.  That is a Sheffield Crocodile! It's generally acknowledged to be a Kershaw A100 knockoff.  Both are now discontinued.   Not rare, but not too common.

Please make me cringe. I hate missing a good deal.  What was the princely sum you paid for this object d'art!

Hello Yadda,

First, someone else was wondering if the pliers were straight or curved. They are straight. I'll get some pics later. They are in the bedroom and my wife is sleeping. To answer your question about cost, it was $5. No carry case though. Gotta love garage sales. I once bought a pair of binoculars, just because they seemed like decent binoculars. Paid $7. Never heard of the brand though ( Kern ), so to the internet for info. Got directed to an optical collector website. Asked about them. Got a reply right away, about how they were very difficult to make, so very few were made. The person said the last time he'd seen a pair come up for sale was on EBay about 8 years prior and they sold for $1,700.

tuckerdog1
Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: April 08, 2019, 08:00:20 PM
Hello Yadda,

First, someone else was wondering if the pliers were straight or curved. They are straight. I'll get some pics later. They are in the bedroom and my wife is sleeping. To answer your question about cost, it was $5. No carry case though. Gotta love garage sales. I once bought a pair of binoculars, just because they seemed like decent binoculars. Paid $7. Never heard of the brand though ( Kern ), so to the internet for info. Got directed to an optical collector website. Asked about them. Got a reply right away, about how they were very difficult to make, so very few were made. The person said the last time he'd seen a pair come up for sale was on EBay about 8 years prior and they sold for $1,700.

tuckerdog1

I thought they looked like the straight jaws.   Not the stunning deal you got on the binoculars, but still a nice buy at 3 times the price. 
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline tuckerdog1

Reply #33 on: April 08, 2019, 10:59:22 PM
I thought they looked like the straight jaws.   Not the stunning deal you got on the binoculars, but still a nice buy at 3 times the price.

So I paid 3X too much? At $5, no big loss :oops:
IMG_0914.jpg
* IMG_0914.jpg (Filesize: 327.84 KB)
IMG_0917.jpg
* IMG_0917.jpg (Filesize: 338.75 KB)

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: April 09, 2019, 04:20:41 AM
So I paid 3X too much? At $5, no big loss :oops:

No, should gave been "even at three times the price".  If you had paid $15, it would have still been a good deal. $30 would have been fair,but pretty much topped out IMHO.

Let me know if you want your money back plus postage.  :pok: :D

us Offline tuckerdog1

Reply #35 on: April 10, 2019, 02:42:15 AM

Let me know if you want your money back plus postage.  :pok: :D

They seem pretty well constructed. Think I'm gonna hang onto them, at least for awhile.
Thanks for the attractive offer though :D

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 10, 2019, 02:45:33 AM
They seem pretty well constructed. Think I'm gonna hang onto them, at least for awhile.
Thanks for the attractive offer though :D

:D :hatsoff:

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 22, 2019, 04:03:35 PM
I have this exact Sheffield, and I paid about $15 for mine I think. It's a good tool, but it will grab and pinch your flesh if you're not very careful using it. It's worse than an original Mr. Pinchy. At least Mr. Pinchy lets go when you release your grip! The Crocodile hangs on! It's SO much worse!  But it's still a good tool for light-duty vice-grippage.

I removed the almost useless scissors out of mine and put in a scraper blade instead. I use it to hold small parts when grinding, and to open beer bottles in the garage mostly. Very occasionally I'll use the halfway decent phillips driver... but that's rare. It's neat to have around and useful, and at $5 you paid the right amount!

Charles.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD