Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

93mm Brass rod question

00 Offline tom57

93mm Brass rod question
on: April 22, 2019, 05:47:58 PM
Hello everyone.

I'm trying to find out what the general consensus is in using brass rod for 93mm modifications? I've got the bug to do some modding and am interested in putting together a Farmer X.

It seems some members have used brass rod to make the farmer X. I'm slightly concerned that brass is a bit of a step down from the nickel silver pins in terms of strength that are used for the factory 93mm models.

I've had a search on the forum but havent found anything definitive so far so any input would be great!

Hope youve all had a good easter
Tom

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Re: 93mm Brass rod question
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 06:51:11 PM
I used brass rod for mine and I have no complaints at awl.. I haven't done much prying so if that's your worries I can't tell how it will work out, but for "normal" use its totally fine

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

00 Offline tom57

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 09:32:36 AM
Thanks @kottskrpa. Your mod actually came up in my search. Hows it holding up using the screwdrivers? I might have to give it a shot if I think I can take my pioneer x apart without a drill press.

Anyone have any other experiences?

Tom

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 12:44:56 PM
I've only modded 84 mm SAKs, Tom, but of all the tools I use for my projects, I'd say the drill press is pretty indispensable.  Even just a small bench-mounted unit would do the trick.  I'm sure one of the more experienced modders might have some insights for you on the Mod Squad forum. 

You'll learn so much the first time you do it.  Good luck and I can't wait to see the results.

Myron

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 12:46:08 PM
When I first peened it together I used it for a week or so and then tightened it once again and after that I haven't had any problems at all. I have used the drivers for screws and it's still working out.

I think it will be hard to do it without a drill press but others might disagree

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline knifecoop

Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 10:51:46 PM
Proper sized brass rod work fine, just make sure it is peened well.
Cheers!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 12:26:28 AM
If you don't have a pillar drilll, you can get the pins out fairly easily with a dremel fitted with a diamond ball bit and a punch... just takes a bit of patience.

00 Offline tom57

Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 12:29:59 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. It seems brass is up for the job. I'll have to see if I can get access to a drill press or something to remove the pins, I think thats the bit thats making me most nervous!

I'll put a search into the mod squad forum and see what I can find  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD