Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Snippet - Broken within 5mins.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
SOG Snippet - Broken within 5mins.
on: April 23, 2019, 04:41:11 PM
First off, I know that there is a thread by GLBM on this new tool from SOG. I had wanted to post there but was really turned off by the tool. So I wanted to give myself a new thread on this new thing. I am going to be very harsh.

Received it today. First impression, very crude finish. It honestly feels like those knock off Micras with sharp edges. Many sharp edges, even the landyard ring is sharp. The material feels thin as hell. The knife wouldnt cut paper, a first from SOG as usually they do a good job on sharpening... The bottle opener and micro screw driver was a fail too. The tip was too thick too thick to fit anything, I have seen Chinese MTs done better. Large flathead was, unusually large for a tool this size. I like the nail file. Its more aggressive than the files found on their full sized MTs. :facepalm: Tooth pick looks fine and the new tweezers are better that the one found on the cross cut. That 2 curve things to assist the opening of the scissors feels absolutely weird.

All I cut was the cardboard packaging and the scissors gave way.

One side of the spring tab holding the scissors bent.

See how thin the material is..

The tab when opened up.

This is a total design failure. How is that tab going to hold all the cutting force SOG?? ??? ??? Do you even test your tools.. :facepalm: I can break that scissors just by squeezing hard without cutting anything. Your designer should be tied up and fed to the sharks.

There are many cheaper ones that are better and stronger but costing 1/3 of the price I had paid for this nonsense.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Re: SOG Snippet - Broken within 5mins.
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 04:50:58 PM
That looks like it wasn’t heat treated properly  :think:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 05:06:07 PM
 :facepalm:

After reading earlier posts on this tool, I thought SOG might have finally made something new that was worth buying. Obviously, that's not the case.

Oh well. At least they're consistent.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 05:15:30 PM
Epic fail... :td:  No surprise to me either. And I'm not bashing SOG because on occasion they crank out something worth a smurf.

SAW

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 05:34:14 PM
Well.. Its destroyed now. I do not have super human grip but to prove my point..

Pretty but useless thing.

Note how the "good" tab bent.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 05:54:26 PM
I had expressed interest in this, but I am not surprised at this quality and apparent lack of testing prior to releasing it.
I doubt I will ever get a Snippet now. Even if they re-release it.

How can I take you seriously SOG? Stop this silly nonsense. :twak:

Thanks, Sam. I like scissors, and judging by your Snippet, mine would also not last long. :salute:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 06:43:54 PM
I had expressed interest in this, but I am not surprised at this quality and apparent lack of testing prior to releasing it.
I doubt I will ever get a Snippet now. Even if they re-release it.

How can I take you seriously SOG? Stop this silly nonsense. :twak:

Thanks, Sam. I like scissors, and judging by your Snippet, mine would also not last long. :salute:

:iagree:
I need gear I can use :salute:
SAW

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 07:01:14 PM
The spring tab behind the scissors is useless and not required. There is a notch to keep the scissors closed, held by that spring. The scissors is not spring loaded so there is no need for this at all. It weakens the whole structure. See how much the handle flexes on pressure, gives u an idea of what kind of material you can cut. The handle will fail before cut anything serious. I can understand they are trying to come up with new designs but..  :facepalm: SOG, please ditch those weird assist things. If they stick to spring loaded scissors, give it better material for structure, all these engineering fails can be avoided.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 07:09:24 PM
Sorry your example failed, Sam. Seems the first tab was too thin from the factory.  :facepalm:

If it helps to anyone else, I've cut all kinds of stuff with mine, within reason, and haven't had any issues. A google search didn't indicate that tab failure was wide-spread either(for whatever that is worth). :dunno:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 07:29:29 PM
Sorry your example failed, Sam. Seems the first tab was too thin from the factory.  :facepalm:

If it helps to anyone else, I've cut all kinds of stuff with mine, within reason, and haven't had any issues. A google search didn't indicate that tab failure was wide-spread either(for whatever that is worth). :dunno:

:dunno: I get all sorts of weird stuffs. Lucky me.  ::)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 07:44:15 PM
I did  copy your testing with a squeeze. The flex is notable with mine, but hasn't caused a failure yet. I hypothesize the second tab on yours failed due to squeezing the handle with the finger guard, which isn't a weight bearing part. The tabs may be an issue for the Snippet in the long run I think. As you said, it doesn't need to be like that. The tab could have been shorter and a bit thicker to serve the same purpose of deploying the mechanism.

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 08:16:24 PM
I did  copy your testing with a squeeze. The flex is notable with mine, but hasn't caused a failure yet. I hypothesize the second tab on yours failed due to squeezing the handle with the finger guard, which isn't a weight bearing part. The tabs may be an issue for the Snippet in the long run I think. As you said, it doesn't need to be like that. The tab could have been shorter and a bit thicker to serve the same purpose of deploying the mechanism.

The part that snapped in my video was the little tab from the weird thing (finger guard). That snapped, and the spring tab bent. I will have to agree with you that that is not load bearing and I am squeezing on the wrong place. But that's where I foresee others will put the pressure on if they were to cut something tougher. That also shows how much flex there is on the handle when putting in pressure. With the weird thing in place, this bugger is destined to be a light cutter or what the thumb and other fingers can manage. Perhaps I am spoiled by what the 1/3 priced cheapies can do and put in too much hope on this.

You didn't have to copy the keyboard setup. That is not a crucial factor.  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 08:21:35 PM
Indeed.  :iagree:

I'd love to say that SOG needs to fix the potential issue, but we both know they won't....  :facepalm:

I did turn my phone 90 degrees to landscape mode.  :pok: :D

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 08:31:50 PM
Indeed.  :iagree:

I'd love to say that SOG needs to fix the potential issue, but we both know they won't....  :facepalm:

I did turn my phone 90 degrees to landscape mode.  :pok: :D

Lol. Yes I notice u did. I have to remember to take video in landscape in future.  :facepalm:

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 01:03:00 AM
Oh boy, that is a bummer. I really like scissors too and was very interested in this tool. But whenever i start looking into SOG tools something like this comes up  :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: April 27, 2019, 03:27:33 AM
Yeah, that seems to be the case. A lot of people are shy about anything SOG related, because for any good experience someone has with SOG, someone else has a bad experience. I am certain about 10% of their newer tool lines leave the factory with some sort of defect. Be it a smaller one like a poorly cut file, or a serious issue like Sam experienced.  :facepalm:

The line of poorly executed tools seems to just grow and grow.
Started with the PowerDuo. Then the PowerPlay, then the PowerAccess/Access Deluxe, and now the Snippet seems to be designed poorly. So while my example is a nice little tool, the design is subject to breakage if any QC is overlooked. And SOG QC is nearly non-existent sometimes.
The Sync series is great and the Batons are pretty good, but even those have design issues that may be quirks to some users, and serious usage problems for other users.
I don't know if SOG can survive much longer just on the PocketPowerPlier, PowerLock, and PowerAccess. :dunno:

Offline Gene

Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 08:01:26 PM
Thanks for the report Sam! I was thinking of going for one but not now.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%