Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK Spring Questions

pomsbz · 42 · 1885

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
SAK Spring Questions
on: April 23, 2019, 08:46:31 PM
Some spring questions please. Apologies if they seem simplistic.

1. Can the corkscrew attach to any spring other than that of the knife layer? I don't like an off centre line blade and would love to move the layer to the centre line but I do like having a corkscrew.
2. Can anything fit opposite the inline phillips other than the magnifier?
3. Is there room for anything on the back of the phillips/magnifier s spring? (I don't have a SAK with this layer otherwise I could just look :D )
4. Can anything other than the hook go on the back of the scissors spring?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions as time goes on but that's it for the moment.

Thanks!  :cheers:
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Re: SAK Spring Questions
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 09:37:18 PM
If you think your questions are simplistic you should take a look at mine..

1. Can the corkscrew attach to any spring other than that of the knife layer? I don't like an off centre line blade and would love to move the layer to the centre line but I do like having a corkscrew.

I have a bladeless mod with the corkscrew on the opening layer, I had to file down the spring a bit to make it work if I remember correctly

As of what I know magnifier or light

3. Is there room for anything on the back of the phillips/magnifier s spring? (I don't have a SAK with this layer otherwise I could just look :D )

Not on the explorer at least. Don't know the other models

Have never tested but might work with some filing/grinding

There is a sticky with SAK's taken apart so it's easy to compare springs and tools

Hope this helps a bit until someone else comes with more info or corrections

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 11:00:17 PM
I have a blade less mod with the openers on the corkscrew spring.
I had to file a little nub out of the corkscrew spring to accommodate the bottle opener hook, and use an old round tang bottle opener to play nice with the spring.
The new liner with the stamped spacer for the new style thin main blade worked great.
Oh, and a little brass spacer for the can opener on the opposite side.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 02:17:45 AM
Can the corkscrew attach to any spring other than that of the knife layer? I don't like an off centre line blade and would love to move the layer to the centre line but I do like having a corkscrew.

Not the answer to the question asked, but attached are pics of the top side and arse end of the Mega84 that I'm carrying this week, which has both backspring Phillips and corkscrew. While these are both on blade layers, it shows that with the cunning use of vacant backspring tool slots, a blade layer can be put where it doesn't belong, and still keep the same aft tool.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 05:54:25 AM
Some spring questions please. Apologies if they seem simplistic.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions as time goes on but that's it for the moment.

Thanks!  :cheers:

I haven't read past your initial post but I love this :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 08:20:07 AM
I didn't read the first question right and I don't have any experience with moving it in to the center.. And by putting the corkscrew with the openers.. Pablo's way is the way to go. That's how  he told me to do it and that's what I did

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 04:01:58 PM
Not the answer to the question asked, but attached are pics of the top side and arse end of the Mega84 that I'm carrying this week, which has both backspring Phillips and corkscrew. While these are both on blade layers, it shows that with the cunning use of vacant backspring tool slots, a blade layer can be put where it doesn't belong, and still keep the same aft tool.

Genius! I wouldn't have thought of that.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 04:25:02 PM
:iagree:
It's definitely a very clever mod.  :hatsoff:

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 04:29:42 PM

Thanks  :hatsoff: If you don't want the hook on the back of the scissors, that's one vacant tool slot to work with

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 04:41:31 PM
Thanks  :hatsoff: If you don't want the hook on the back of the scissors, that's one vacant tool slot to work with

Deep enough?

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 04:42:37 PM
Incidentally I'm not thinking of doing any filing. I can do plug and play but not much more.  :D

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 04:53:04 PM

There is a sticky with SAK's taken apart so it's easy to compare springs and tools

It's not a sticky though it should be! :) It looks like the scissors spring can accommodate pretty much anything else on it's rear. Corkscrew, awl, etc. I'd love confirmation though.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 05:24:45 PM
Deep enough?

I don't know about depth or width, you'd have to try it. You don't really want to be thinning backsprings anyway.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 02:56:40 PM
So I'm thinking of a trying to make a Yeoman with a corkscrew but switching the blade to the centre using the excellent solution of allowing the corkscrew to sit in the gap where the hook would be. I've never used the combo tool, I far prefer a rear can open tool than the regular front opening version but I like the bottle opener on a SAK as a mini pry bar/scraper. Does the Combo tool work as this too? I know it's thinner but my Sharpwerks pry bar works fine and it's pretty thin also. I'd still love to replace the magnifier with something. Can't think of a use for it myself.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:04:21 PM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 03:10:25 PM
Or, put in a small blade with the big one and a bottle opener opposite the inline phillips? Forgetting the can opener that I don't like and have never used. Any one know if it's possible to put the bottle opener opposite the phillips on that layer without resorting to tricks? Or would it be better to do it using the opener spring instead of the magnifier spring? I realise I might have to file the bottle opener down slightly so it doesn't hit the phillips but that should be even within my tiny skill set. :) It would have the advantage of only requiring a single donation tool, the Explorer.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:17:33 PM by pomsbz »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 02:57:24 PM
I'm still waiting for my explorer and pins on the slow boat from the UK (my bro in law hopefully). If anyone has any thoughts about my last question I'd be interested.  :D

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 03:55:56 PM
Here it is, ready for the chop.  :drink:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: May 07, 2019, 04:43:49 PM
 :popcorn:

All hail the hook!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 04:58:27 PM
:popcorn:
I've worked out that I have to find a second corkscrew liner to have the corkscrew span two layers (it's actually a bit more, 2.5 layers, has to still stick out the side a bit, it's width is 8mm vs 6mm of two layers). I may have to sacrifice a 2nd hand Spartan. :) I'm also still unsure of how well the bottle opener will work in place of the magnifier or whether I have to use the opener spring and then see if the screwdriver will work in place of the can opener. I won't know till I open them I think. The second option would give me an awl at least. If anyone has any information about that question I'd love to hear from experience!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 06:19:45 PM
The first pic shows how much of the bottle opener you need to shorten to make it fit with the old-style Phillips. I believe the new style Phillips is shorter, so you don't need to cut as much!  :cheers:

The second pic shows how the bottle opener will sink if you try using it on the Phillips spring...  :-\

The third picture shows you how much the Phillips will sink on two opener springs. Looks manageable?  :cheers:
IMG_20190507_170520.jpg
* IMG_20190507_170520.jpg (Filesize: 289.16 KB)
IMG_20190507_170547.jpg
* IMG_20190507_170547.jpg (Filesize: 70.52 KB)
IMG_20190507_171931.jpg
* IMG_20190507_171931.jpg (Filesize: 294.32 KB)

All hail the hook!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 07, 2019, 06:42:51 PM
The first pic shows how much of the bottle opener you need to shorten to make it fit with the old-style Phillips. I believe the new style Phillips is shorter, so you don't need to cut as much!  :cheers:

The second pic shows how the bottle opener will sink if you try using it on the Phillips spring...  :-\

The third picture shows you how much the Phillips will sink on two opener springs. Looks manageable?  :cheers:

First of all, thank you, that's a huge help! Here is a photo of my explorer, I don't think I'll have to remove much off the bottle opener which is useful.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 07, 2019, 06:48:07 PM
The problem I hadn't thought of is the difference in width. Not sure how to deal with that. Perhaps if I put the bottle opener on the screwdriver layer with a spacer of some kind and some solder on the spring underneath to keep it propped up? I really want to keep it at 3 layer thickness.

You have to forgive me, I'm not very good at this kind of thing.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 07, 2019, 06:54:42 PM
Just measured, the difference in width between the magnifier and the bottle opener is 0.5mm (though the spring width difference is a full mm), that should be easy to achieve with a spacer?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 07:19:23 PM by pomsbz »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 07, 2019, 08:50:12 PM
Thank you for all the photos, I too am interested in this.

Just for reference sake, I did a quick comparison between pretty old screw drivers(from a swisschamp with fluted corkscrew) vs a new screwdriver.

The new inline phillips sit about 1mm higher than the can opener, and the older one is almost 5mm longer than the new one(which is significant)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: May 07, 2019, 09:05:19 PM
All along I was thinking to put both bottle opener/can opener side-by-side(opposite to inline phillips), like what Syph usually do on a 93mm mod...is that not achievable with dual opener springs or phillps spring?  :think:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: May 07, 2019, 09:20:19 PM
All along I was thinking to put both bottle opener/can opener side-by-side(opposite to inline phillips), like what Syph usually do on a 93mm mod...is that not achievable with dual opener springs or phillps spring?  :think:
On a 93mm, Syph flips one of the springs around, so that an end for a bottle opener, and an end for a can opener, are on the same end of the knife, if you can visualise what I mean.
That way, he can put the bottle opener and can opener side-by-side.
You can't do that on a 91mm, because unlike 93mm, the pin locations are not symmetrical.

All hail the hook!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 04:06:11 PM
Hi folks,

Update! Finally got started, going really well so far! I have the scissors on the outside with corkscrew on their back (isn't a perfect fit with the corkscrew, spring isn't designed for it, but certainly good enough). The two blades are centre line with the awl on the back of them. My problem is with the next layer as shown (and predicted by the Don). Getting a spacer isn't the problem (going to use the spacer from the small blade donated by a spartan), neither are the lengths, they work fine. It's getting the bottle opener up sufficiently for opening on a spring designed to let it droop down all the way.

Here is a pic showing the problem:

Proof of solution concept using match sticks

With the 'solution' the nail nicks line up perfecty.

I do wish however that I had a better long term solution than matchsticks! Incidentally I need to do the same thing for the awl, it drops down under the liners with the blade spring. Any ideas at all? Should I find some metal and file it down then stick it in place or is there a better/easier option to be had?

Thanks!

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 28, 2019, 06:09:17 PM
A friend suggested sugru but it's hard to get it perfectly sized in time. I was thinking some kind of plastic which I can shave to size?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: May 28, 2019, 08:01:34 PM
I don't know whether this will help, but do you think it is possible to make a hole on the outside liner, then peen a rivet spacer right under the flathead, then on the other side of the liner, just peen it as flat as possible and make minor changes to the scale?

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 28, 2019, 08:06:55 PM
I don't know whether this will help, but do you think it is possible to make a hole on the outside liner, then peen a rivet spacer right under the flathead, then on the other side of the liner, just peen it as flat as possible and make minor changes to the scale?

You're assuming I have a drill :D

I did this in the end, cut up a bike wheel spoke and super glued the pieces in. It's a drop high, I'm filing down the 'kick' of the bottle opener at present.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%