Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Newest Regular-Production 91mm Vic SAK Model?

us Offline FiL Wisneski

Newest Regular-Production 91mm Vic SAK Model?
on: April 25, 2019, 08:01:37 PM
What is the the newest regular-production 91mm Vic SAK model?  The Expedition Lite in 2008?

What about the newest one that doesn't involve electronics or lights?  The CyberTool series in 2000?

Seems like the 91mm lineup has really ossified.

- FiL

us Offline FiL Wisneski

Re: Newest Regular-Production 91mm Vic SAK Model?
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:34:51 PM
Probably, FASS 90?
https://leaf-vics.com/2018/10/690-fass-90.html

Not a regular-production model, but quite interesting nonetheless.

- FiL

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 09:46:06 PM
The Swissflame and Campflame were regular production models from 2003 untill 2005 but were discontinued because of malfunctioning lighters.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 01:17:03 PM
It's long been my grievance with brand Victorinox.

Personally I find them incredibly dull these days.

I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 02:22:05 PM
As much fuss we tend to make over other makers Vic tends to get quite a break when it comes to NOT coming out with new stuff.  It took them how long to add the scissors to the Pioneer?  Many have griped about other makers coming out with tools with only new colors and yet Vic does similar  :dunno:.  The Damasteel limited runs are certainly another  :think:.

We'd all love to see the 84mm scissor make a come back.  The notion that it wasn't popular at the time or whatever just doesn't work today.  I know they are hugely successful and have been around for quite a while but along that road I can't help but think its due in part to making "some" changes. 

I guess the easy comparison would be Wenger.  They come out with new tool ideas and look at them now?  Not sure this is the whole story as to why Wenger is no more tho.  I may be totally off but come on Vic bring back the 84mm scissors.   
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:11:29 PM by Aloha »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline FiL Wisneski

Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 03:05:58 PM
Perhaps they have decided that the real money is in military contracts and the collector's market.

- FiL

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 05:48:21 AM
I can't think of any recent 91mm models but the 84mm Walker from 2015 is kind of new, adding T&T to the long discontinued Lumberjack, as I understand it. I was surprised to see a new addition to the 84mm range as I half feel that Vic is slowly phasing it out in favour of the 85mm Delemonts.

I don't find the current Vic range dull, in that there's a model for almost every regular punter, more or less. Most current tools have multiple applications. For instance, I never thought I'd use the fish scaler as much as I do!  :D

What new factory configurations and tools would we like to see?

For me the alox range could easily include more 91mm features, and the 91mm range would benefit from a factory inline awl option. It awl comes down to economic viability, I guess.

As much fuss we tend to make over other makers Vic tends to get quite a break when it comes to NOT coming out with new stuff.  It took them how long to add the scissors to the Pioneer?  Many have griped about other makers coming out with tools with only new colors and yet Vic does similar  :dunno:.  The Damasteel limited runs are certainly another  :think:.

We'd all love to see the 84mm scissor make a come back.  The notion that it wasn't popular at the time or whatever just doesn't work today.  I know they are hugely successful and have been around for quite a while but along that road I can't help but think its due in part to making "some" changes. 

I guess the easy comparison would be Wenger.  They come out with new tool ideas and look at them now?  Not sure this is the whole story as to why Wenger is no more tho.  I may be totally off but come on Vic bring back the 84mm scissors.

Agree about the 84mm scissors but since they're available in the 85mm Delemont range (I know they aren't the same!), I can't see Vic wanting to spend money on new tooling for a near duplicate range.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 06:03:35 AM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 06:52:45 AM
 :salute: Fair enough and I always forget about the 85mm range.  Its mostly wishful thinking on my part for 84mm range with scissors.  A resurrection of some of the wonderful models in that line.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 07:16:55 AM
Maybe their motto is "If it aint broke don't fix it"? And/or what else toolwise could you possibly cram in a 91mm, there just arent that many types of tools out there that are not already in SAKS.
Look at the Samsung folding OLED screen phone disaster, sometimes change is bad for a company.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 09:41:01 AM
Perhaps they have decided that the real money is in military contracts and the collector's market.

- FiL
I heard that the Swiss army contract takes them 2 hours of production to fill, each year.
I guess they have to do something for the other 99.9% of the time to make money. :)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24