Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Böker MINI Tech Tools

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Böker MINI Tech Tools
on: April 26, 2019, 10:38:29 PM
I like the Böker Tech Tool, especially the blade. Though I never carry one (mostly because of that weird rescue blade and the scissors I did not get along with). So, I'm quite excited for the Mini Tech Tools... hope to get my hands on one soon.

They currently sport 3 tools
Blade (if it is even remotely as good as the one in the regular sized tool, then it is brilliant)
Scissors
Combo tool

Totally dig the look of these :tu:
minitechtool.jpg
* minitechtool.jpg (Filesize: 76.71 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Böker MINI Tech Tools
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 11:12:21 PM
I've had a SanRemu branded one for some time. Quite pocket friendly and the blade is very nice indeed. The scissor is less impressive.

Edit: The handle on the Böker seems more rounded from the picture. Should be even more pocket friendly then.  :tu:
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 02:44:00 AM
Ooh, that looks interesting. I'd certainly interested to hear your thought, Beat  :tu:

I agree on the Tech Tool blade. That Tech Tool 1 one you sent me has been excellent.  :cheers:

I've had a SanRemu branded one for some time. Quite pocket friendly and the blade is very nice indeed. The scissor is less impressive.

Edit: The handle on the Böker seems more rounded from the picture. Should be even more pocket friendly then.  :tu:

What's the issue with the scissors? Fixable?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 04:12:13 AM
They bob a lot compared to its bigger brother...

https://youtu.be/cYEoroBE_9w

us Offline cody6268

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 04:15:39 AM
I had what was basically the same from Ruike. Horrible scissors on these, but the rest of the tool was great. The scales are awesome too.  I know CountyComm had an exclusive that was just the blade and strap cutter; but does Boker have their own like that?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 05:13:33 AM
They bob a lot compared to its bigger brother...

https://youtu.be/cYEoroBE_9w

Doesn't appear to be much worse than Wenger (which I'm quite happy with)  :think: Seems the blades could do with crinking a little though.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 04:39:18 PM
I had what was basically the same from Ruike. Horrible scissors on these, but the rest of the tool was great. The scales are awesome too.  I know CountyComm had an exclusive that was just the blade and strap cutter; but does Boker have their own like that?
Thete are 4 models.
Blade only
Blade and combo tool
Blade and scissors
All three tools

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 09:03:32 PM
What's the issue with the scissors? Fixable?

If I remember correctly, (as I can't find the thing around here now), it is just not tight and or sharp enough. Sometimes things will slip or be forced between the blades instead of cutting.

A knock on the fulcrum might help, but then again it might not - scissors are surprisingly difficult to get right. Which might explain why there are so many so so ones.

Based on the quality of the rest of the tool I like to think they have both the will and ability to improve on it going forwards. For all I know they might have done so already.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 09:14:21 PM
If I remember correctly, (as I can't find the thing around here now), it is just not tight and or sharp enough. Sometimes things will slip or be forced between the blades instead of cutting.

A knock on the fulcrum might help, but then again it might not - scissors are surprisingly difficult to get right. Which might explain why there are so many so so ones.

Based on the quality of the rest of the tool I like to think they have both the will and ability to improve on it going forwards. For all I know they might have done so already.

Thanks Vidar, it sounds like a few slaps with a hammer would fix things up a bit :)

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 09:35:59 PM
Thanks Vidar, it sounds like a few slaps with a hammer would fix things up a bit :)

If I find the thing around here I'll give it a few knocks with a suitably cute hammer. Might just do the trick, but I suspect there might be some other differences to say a Victorinox scissor as well. Either way I need to stumble across the thing which isn't all that easy. (Building a new workshop so everything is a huge mess everywhere  :ahhh).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 09:49:51 PM
Got mine today... so first impressions without pictures. I will have to see what I compare it to.

Blade is awesome, like its big brother.
Combo tool looks sturdy and feels good... the cutting hook is sharp, real sharp.
The scissors... again, not a good first impression. Back-end cuts well, but the front end actually grips to paper, more like pincers than scissors. Couple of passes on my stone did the trick, now they cut almost as well as those from Victorinox.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 11:58:25 PM
I just came across this one yesterday and was thinking about getting one to possibly replace my SAK Rambler, but with all the negative comments, on here and that I’ve read other places, about the scissors; i think I might stick to the Rambler,

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 11:41:41 AM
I just came across this one yesterday and was thinking about getting one to possibly replace my SAK Rambler, but with all the negative comments, on here and that I’ve read other places, about the scissors; i think I might stick to the Rambler,
I will post pictures later for comparison... The Rambler is a whole lot smaller (and lighter) than this and certainly has the better scissors. The Böker scissors are not bad mind you, at least mine, after sharpening do well (I will have to test them on different materials to give a final verdict, but as it stands now, they are good).
The Mini Tool is a lot tougher/sturdier than a rambler I think it compares more to a Cadet. The blade is a lot better than the Classic (or Squirt/Micra), from my short testing I would say, the blade is better than the one from the Cadet, although shorter (so probably a draw).

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 04:26:43 PM
For me, if the scissors can cut thin cellophane plastic, like those reynolds plastic wrap, then it pasts the test...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 04:38:41 PM
Damn, I'd forgotten about these.  I might have to get one sometime.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 12:59:34 PM
Ok I don't have time to do this right, so I will state my thoughts and then send the tool to someone else...

The Blade: This is a great blade, IMHO greatest of all in that size (Classic, Micra, Squirt, Dime...). But the biggest limitation is that size and for all reasonable tasks the blade of a Classic (and the others) will do just fine.
The Scissors: They work, they are good to have, but no reason to choose this tool over a Classic
The Combo tool: Certainly sturdy, but it is large. At the end of the day, I prefer the Vic 58mm combo tool because it has a PH head. I do not really see any use for the "rescue hook". What it certainly does is give you a better pry tool than what you would find on the 58mm line.
The overall feel: This is what I liked much about the regular Tech Tools, those scales are nice. However with the Mini tech tool, they add a lot of bulk, and I don't think it's word the trade.

It is too big to be small: Compared to the Classic (or an Alox-Rambler) it is a lot larger without adding function.
It's too small to be big: Volume and weight wise it is in the league of a Cadet, which thanks to its longer frame is IMO superior.

Personally, I would not buy again, but if you are looking for a key-chain tool that can second as a tiny bush-craft knife, then this might be for you.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 04:13:13 PM
Very interesting mate.  :hatsoff:  I'm certainly looking forward to having a look for myself. :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: June 27, 2019, 02:29:49 PM
What can I say;  Etherealicer is a heck of a chap.  Having decided this wasn't quite the tool for him he offered it to me to try. 

Ok I don't have time to do this right, so I will state my thoughts and then send the tool to someone else...

The Blade: This is a great blade, IMHO greatest of all in that size (Classic, Micra, Squirt, Dime...). But the biggest limitation is that size and for all reasonable tasks the blade of a Classic (and the others) will do just fine.
The Scissors: They work, they are good to have, but no reason to choose this tool over a Classic
The Combo tool: Certainly sturdy, but it is large. At the end of the day, I prefer the Vic 58mm combo tool because it has a PH head. I do not really see any use for the "rescue hook". What it certainly does is give you a better pry tool than what you would find on the 58mm line.
The overall feel: This is what I liked much about the regular Tech Tools, those scales are nice. However with the Mini tech tool, they add a lot of bulk, and I don't think it's word the trade.

It is too big to be small: Compared to the Classic (or an Alox-Rambler) it is a lot larger without adding function.
It's too small to be big: Volume and weight wise it is in the league of a Cadet, which thanks to its longer frame is IMO superior.

Personally, I would not buy again, but if you are looking for a key-chain tool that can second as a tiny bush-craft knife, then this might be for you.

keeping in mind I've only had this in my hand for about an hour I can completely see where  Etherealicer is coming from with his assessment.  However I've put it on my keys and will carry it for a while to see how we get along as I think it's possible shortcomings aren't going to bother me too much.  :)
20190627_130256.jpg
* 20190627_130256.jpg (Filesize: 349.31 KB)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 02:38:54 PM by Gareth »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: June 27, 2019, 02:40:37 PM
:tu:   :like:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: June 29, 2019, 03:55:55 PM
So, here are some initial ramblings; the scissors are...yeah...OK...I guess?  They're honestly OK, but they do move around a lot when cutting (more so than Wenger, or so it feels) and they don't feel like they have a positive contact all the way from back to front.  As AimlessW suggested I think a bit more crink would be useful.

On a more positive note; I love the fact all the tools unfold away from the keyring so are easy to use while still attached to my keys.  Also the blade is simply awesome for it's size; as noted already it's a scaled down version of the standard Tech Tool and, for me, is just about big enough for me not to feel the need to carry a second, bigger knife. :tu:

For anyone who hasn't handled the Boker Tech Tool range (both Mini and Standard) I think you'll be very pleased with the quality feel they have.  Everything is smooth, positive and sturdy for it's size.  Adjustable tension with a torx screw means no blade play either.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: July 14, 2019, 09:54:29 PM
The Boker Mini Tech Tool has been in my pocket for the last couple of weeks and it's very well complimented by my modded Style PS (which adds pliers, small screwdriver, nail file and sneaky toothpick ;)).  I wasn't certain I liked the scissors enough or was convinced it was the the right size when I first got it but it's simply not put a foot wrong in the time I've had it and it's definitely become a regular part of my EDC.

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #21 on: July 15, 2019, 03:09:49 AM
How thick is the Mini Tech tool in comparison to a Cadet or say a 3 layer celidor SAK?

I have had my eye on them for awhile but I dislike the bulk of the 3+ layer SAKs in my pocket so I usually stick to a Compact.

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: July 15, 2019, 09:12:54 PM
How thick is the Mini Tech tool in comparison to a Cadet or say a 3 layer celidor SAK?

I have had my eye on them for awhile but I dislike the bulk of the 3+ layer SAKs in my pocket so I usually stick to a Compact.

-Wes.

Just checked and it's almost exactly the same thickness as a two layer cellidor SAK.  :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: July 16, 2019, 05:52:45 PM
You have me looking at these at online stores now  :facepalm::like: the brand and always have :cheers: if you like them that well then perhaps they are worth a shot for me to try as well :cheers:

us Offline Wessaen

• Just a dude with an appreciation for titanium.
Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 01:12:00 AM
Just checked and it's almost exactly the same thickness as a two layer cellidor SAK.  :)

Thank you, I may have to investigate further in that case.

-Wes.
Work EDC: LM Raptor/Bladeless Pioneer X Mod

Weekend EDC: LM Free P2 or Vic Pioneer X/Vic Rambler/Olight I1R EOS Pro Ti/ Atwood R37Pry

These days I focus on collecting oddball Pharmacy/Medical Advert Victorinox Classics.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #25 on: July 22, 2019, 06:45:22 PM
Anybody ever try the Ruike versions of the Tech Tools?

Their minis  have been out for at least two years;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZHJLLC/?coliid=I2YLUDZTWTHGG9&colid=3HP8X11Q2KTTB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: July 22, 2019, 08:37:31 PM
Anybody ever try the Ruike versions of the Tech Tools?

Their minis  have been out for at least two years;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZHJLLC/?coliid=I2YLUDZTWTHGG9&colid=3HP8X11Q2KTTB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I've not seen them myself but I'd be surprised if they didn't come out of exactly the same factory gates. :)  Happy to hear from anyone who know better though.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #27 on: July 22, 2019, 10:00:09 PM
I've not seen them myself but I'd be surprised if they didn't come out of exactly the same factory gates. :)  Happy to hear from anyone who know better though.

Yeah, I believe that's a known thing. The only difference, aside from logos and model names, that I've seen in the Ruike examples are scale colors.

Here's a Ruike LD43 Trekker with lime green scales;

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: December 01, 2020, 04:07:13 PM
A year and a bit later and the Boker Mini still makes a regular appearance in my pocket.  Great MT and not very expensive either.

IMG_20201201_105037114.jpg
* IMG_20201201_105037114.jpg (Filesize: 250.67 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: December 03, 2020, 08:49:13 AM
A year and a bit later and the Boker Mini still makes a regular appearance in my pocket.  Great MT and not very expensive either.

(Image removed from quote.)
Good to hear it holds up... how are the scissors after a year of use? And did you ever adjust them as suggested by AW?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%